Options

PM telling MPs to ignore their constituents!

OuroborosOuroboros Posts: 1,854
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Apparently David Cameron has told Tory MPs to ignore their constituents, that's OK because constituents can do the same when those MPs want their votes see how Mr Cameron likes that. :D

Comments

• Options
    Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    Which constituents though? The majority might support membership of the EU.
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    He also reminded them that boundaries are definitely being redrawn this time. So even if a small majority of constituents currently supported the outers in splendid isolation campaign, the numbers can easily turn around well before the next election.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hameron needs a lesson on the British Constitution. Part of an MP's role is to represent their constituents. Hard to do that if they don't listen to them.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ouroboros wrote: »
    Apparently David Cameron has told Tory MPs to ignore their constituents, that's OK because constituents can do the same when those MPs want their votes see how Mr Cameron likes that. :D

Really and where is the link to this claim that you make? Or is it just tittle tattle?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am more concerned by the fact a PM is telling any MP to ignore their constituents he shouldn't be giving that advice and they certainly shouldn't even be contemplating following it, in fact they should be speaking out against him for saying that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Really and where is the link to this claim that you make? Or is it just tittle tattle?

Google is you friend and I am not your PA do the research yourself, I did.
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is becoming somewhat clear who the career politicians are in the Conservative party. Teresa May, Philip Hammond are two such examples. Both were not so long ago highly critical of the EU and in the case of Hammond would base his decision whether to leave on the outcome of Cameron's renegotiations. Well We know the deals of the negotiations that amount to very little change going forward or nothing to reverse the damage already done, still Hammond chooses to back Cameron.

Those that decide to ignore the overwhelming thought if their local people they are supposed to represent wholeheartedly deserve to lose their seat at the next election.

My final point is that it is also clear there is a monumental stitch up going on in order to quell the vote leave side. Cameron promised a fair unbiased fight but this is not happening. Pro EU MPs are allowed to say in public but euroscepics are not, how is that fair?

I agree with many of the lefties that Cameron is not fit to govern the country and should go (along with his pal Osbourne).

What have we had to put up with Cameron?

Being Tony Blair lite
    Treating voters with contempt
    Stamping on the genuinely poor, ill and disabled.
    Cutting money to those most in need in the UK but then lavish money on those that come from abroad.
    Acting like Bob Geldof with taxpayers money around the world whilst expecting UK citizens to stomach huge cuts and underfunding to their public services.
  • Options
    davejc64davejc64 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    It is disgusting that a serving PM can have the audacity to suggest that MPs should not listen to the people who pay their salaries and put them in the job in the first place the man is nothing but a self serving parasite, mind you most people already know that he has just proved it to those that didn't.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron was referring to "constituency associations"....ie the local Tory party activists...which is not the same thing as "constituents" in the generic sense....not least because the majority of "constituents" won't have voted for the Tory MP in the first place.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12139252/David-Cameron-prompts-anger-by-telling-MPs-to-ignore-the-views-of-eurosceptic-grassroots-members.html

Was an odd thing to say but I wonder if some MPs who are leaning towards "in" are being pushed/threatened by local chairman and other "officials" locally who lean towards "out"...eg threats of de-selection if they actively support the "in" campaign.

And in a place with maybe 100,000 constituents and without getting an opinion from them ALL....and let's face it 999,94 could (in theory) could be pro EU why should half a dozen...who happen to be active association members call the tune?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Goodness you 'Outers' are going to be bad losers after failure to win the referendum. You'll blame career politicians, the biased BBC, fear tactics, political deceit, sham negotiations etc etc etc ..... everything except the simple fact that not enough of the British electorate were persuaded by the arguments to leave.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew1954 wrote: »
    Goodness you 'Outers' are going to be bad losers after failure to win the referendum. You'll blame career politicians, the biased BBC, fear tactics, political deceit, sham negotiations etc etc etc ..... everything except the simple fact that not enough of the British electorate were persuaded by the arguments to leave.

Or foreign weather phenomenon like El Nino if it rains on the day ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ..... And another thing..... I don't know whether or not Cameron told MPs to ignore their constituents. What I did hear him say were words to the effect 'make up your own mind'. Which in fact is all any MP can do. They can't vote according to the views of all their constituents can they? And it's presumptuous to assume that most or even a majority wish to leave the EU.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,020
    Forum Member

Which produces a different story to the one you are spinning, not every constituent is a member of the Tory party or voted Tory.

Looks like you were sucker punched by a headline.

The Mail
    The Prime Minister gave controversial orders to his MPs yesterday to ignore the Tory grassroots on Europe.

Telegraph
    The Prime Minister warned backbenchers not to take a view on the vote “because of what your constituency association might say”.

He told his MPs to “do what’s in your heart” rather than what “might be advantageous this way or that way”.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Markjuk wrote: »
    It is becoming somewhat clear who the career politicians are in the Conservative party. Teresa May, Philip Hammond are two such examples. Both were not so long ago highly critical of the EU and in the case of Hammond would base his decision whether to leave on the outcome of Cameron's renegotiations. Well We know the deals of the negotiations that amount to very little change going forward or nothing to reverse the damage already done, still Hammond chooses to back Cameron.

Those that decide to ignore the overwhelming thought if their local people they are supposed to represent wholeheartedly deserve to lose their seat at the next election.

My final point is that it is also clear there is a monumental stitch up going on in order to quell the vote leave side. Cameron promised a fair unbiased fight but this is not happening. Pro EU MPs are allowed to say in public but euroscepics are not, how is that fair?

I agree with many of the lefties that Cameron is not fit to govern the country and should go (along with his pal Osbourne).

What have we had to put up with Cameron?

Being Tony Blair lite
    Treating voters with contempt
    Stamping on the genuinely poor, ill and disabled.
    Cutting money to those most in need in the UK but then lavish money on those that come from abroad.
    Acting like Bob Geldof with taxpayers money around the world whilst expecting UK citizens to stomach huge cuts and underfunding to their public services.

BIB I completely agree. It really winds me up that the tories can send money abroad when they claim they can't afford benefits for the sick and disabled. Their attitude towards the ill and disabled in this country is just utterly morally wrong>:(
  • Options
    elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate lazy or lying OPs.

YOU started a discussion based on something you say you heard.

So the onus is on you to do some basic search to support your claim. Don't expect us to do it for you!

I hate lazyarse OPs and ones based on lies. >:(
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    [/B]

BIB I completely agree. It really winds me up that the tories can send money abroad when they claim they can't afford benefits for the sick and disabled. Their attitude towards the ill and disabled in this country is just utterly morally wrong>:(

They can afford benefits for the sick and disabled, but they choose to cut them.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Hameron needs a lesson on the British Constitution. Part of an MP's role is to represent their constituents. Hard to do that if they don't listen to them.

Have the Corbynistas in Momentum studied that part of the constitution? They are trying to deselect democratically elected MPs.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Have the Corbynistas in Momentum studied that part of the constitution? They are trying to deselect democratically elected MPs.

Like lightening, the Tory cavalry try to turn a thread about Cameron into a thread about Labour. 5/10 for effort, 1/10 for effectiveness, 10/10 for loyalty.
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    ..... And another thing..... I don't know whether or not Cameron told MPs to ignore their constituents. What I did hear him say were words to the effect 'make up your own mind'. Which in fact is all any MP can do. They can't vote according to the views of all their constituents can they? And it's presumptuous to assume that most or even a majority wish to leave the EU.

Yes it's a very sensible position to take.

And in this case where there's a very clear national interest at stake, an MP would be sensible to make their own decision based on all the information they have to hand, looking at all the facts, and weighing up the pros and cons of each position. You'd hope each and every MP would be better qualified than 99% of all constituents to reach a sound and sensible decision. (obviously with Labour MP's that becomes a lot less likely, but you get my point)

Constituents driven by their own hopeless biases, fears and media manipulation are not worth listening to really in a unique case like this. Ultimately this is why I think Cameron shouldn't have put our relationship with the EU on the line in granting the people a referendum. It's risky to trust people to go ahead and make the correct decision and vote yes. And it was also risky that it could have collapsed the government if enough of his cabinet and party had opposed the official government line.

The positive of course once we do vote yes and our future is secured, the issue will be permanently resolved and there will be no argument to turn back on it. Nigel Farage will have to give up and leave politics for good. That's another big prize at the end of this process.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He didn't...he told them not to listen to their "constituency associations" ie a handful of local Tory bigwigs...which is not the same as "constituents" which refers to everyone eligible to vote.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12139252/David-Cameron-prompts-anger-by-telling-MPs-to-ignore-the-views-of-eurosceptic-grassroots-members.html

It was the Mail that used the inaccurate/misquoted headline that the OP did not even link to...mind you according to the Mail Oswald Moseley wasn't such a bad chap either ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elfcurry wrote: »
    I hate lazy or lying OPs.

YOU started a discussion based on something you say you heard.

So the onus is on you to do some basic search to support your claim. Don't expect us to do it for you!

I hate lazyarse OPs and ones based on lies. >:(

Hate is such a strong and negative word are you really that angry?
  • Options
    elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, not really.

But you have some brass neck saying other people should do some work to find something because you didn't bother.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should an MP listen to my opinions on Europe, particularly when said opinion is probably skewed by general ignorance?
    Ideally ones MP should be there to give impartial advise on this issue so we can ALL make informed choices, many of which will undoubtedly be selfish ones.

For instance, being as farmers have no idea what life would be like outside of the common European farming bubble but they know for a fact that the existing set-up offers them a level playing field to export their goods, are they going to throw themselves on their swords for the greater good if another sector (one which might add more to the overall economy) would benefit from Brexit?

What might be good for the constituents of a rural community with loads of farmers might not be in the interests of the country as a whole (and vice versa), so should an MP be forced to represent local interest or the greater good?

It seems ironic that Cameron, who is usually characterised as a posh boy whose raison d'etre is to look after the interests of his rich mates, is being criticised for effectively telling tory MPs to ignore lobbying and go with their gut on this.

Damned either way not doubt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elfcurry wrote: »
    Nah, not really.

But you have some brass neck saying other people should do some work to find something because you didn't bother.

Well I obviously found it,. I just didn't provide the link to it and it appears it wasn't that difficult to find because others managed too find it and yes I did see 'the Independent' version too but thought the DM version was more amusing. :D
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,598
    Forum Member
    Just another anti EU thread started on the back of something that wasn't said and didn't happen. Sadly this will be a regular occurrence on here.