Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 67)

Comments

• Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's been corrected now.

FYI 28 day data for w/e 21st Feb 2016 now up on BARB website.

Wow The Night Manager sure does timeshift a LOT.

Thanks Mike.

That's a surprisingly high timeshift for The Night Manager!
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    That's an enormous 28 day timeshift, timeshifted 4 million!

Is the official figure for the Happy Valley finale available yet?
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Episode 1 of The Night Manager added 1.93m in 28 day ratings. Went from 8.25m to 10.18m! :o

That was a spectacularly good week for BBC1 Drama's with 4 over 8.5m in one week when was the last time that happened if ever?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    That's an enormous 28 day timeshift, timeshifted 4 million!

Is the official figure for the Happy Valley finale available yet?
    Happy Valley's finale rating came out after midday but hasn't been mentioned anywhere.
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    That was a spectacularly good week for BBC1 Drama's with 4 over 8.5m in one week when was the last time that happened if ever?

I think you would have to go back a fair bit to see that.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On This Morning today Siobhan Finnerhan cleared up the Happy Valley series 3 stories.

Nothing has been decided but she said Sarah Lancashire was misquoted about not wanting to do more when she had really just said she was not sure how they could do another series and maintain quality.

But Siobhan said all the cast wanted to come back if Sally Wainwright agreed to write another series as they all love her work.

Marcella does look promising and the creator (who also is behind the excellent Scandi drama The Bridge) says he is willing to do follow up series if ITV wants them.

But there still will be a series 4 of The Bridge and Saga (Sofia Helin) is signed up to return. Good news.

Interestingly last years series 3 of The Bridge had a rather similar plot to one of the recent 2016 episodes of Midsommer Murders episodes. Anyone else notice that?
    Both involved artistic murderers who posed their victims as part of different sculpture displays

Oh and East Enders have had some complaints (though more praise in total) from viewers upset at the reveal by Stacey's brother that he used to be her sister last night.

Doubt it will make the ratings plummet!

Whereas on Hollyoaks there has been near universal praise for the scenes where gay teacher John Paul McQueen's headmistress (whom he thought was trying to do a Mrs Robinson seduction on him) revealed to her ex wife - Myra McQueen - that she was only interested in him because she was John Paul's father.

That is one episode synopsis I doubt they would have had on The Archers in the 1950s - not without creating more than a few complaints (if only from linguists).
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,710
    Forum Member
    The Yorkshire Vet returns to Channel 5 for a second series on Tuesday 12th April at 8pm.

Series 1 averaged 1.31m consolidated (exc. +1) and achieved a series high 1.47m for the last of the six episodes.

Source: C5 Press.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    F1 will be exclusively live on Sky Sports from 2019. No sooner did C4 win the rights and now they've gone. Sky will show the British Grand Prix live and highlights of all other races on a 'free to air' basis, whatever that means.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    The Yorkshire Vet returns to Channel 5 for a second series on Tuesday 12th April at 8pm.

Series 1 averaged 1.31m consolidated (exc. +1) and achieved a series high 1.47m for the last of the six episodes.

20 episodes this time as well, given how successful GPs Behind Closed Doors has done, I imagine they'll show it in one block. Funny how successful vet programmes have done for Channel 4 and 5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    F1 will be exclusively live on Sky Sports from 2019. No sooner did C4 win the rights and now they've gone. Sky will show the British Grand Prix live and highlights of all other races on a 'free to air' basis, whatever that means.

And Channel 4 let horse racing rights go so they could have Formula One. It's funny how things workout isn't it?
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So much for Bernie wanting it on free to ait.
    Another sport gone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »

That's a good one as is The Tube. Good to see these programmes on Channel 5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    So much for Bernie wanting it on free to ait.
    Another sport gone.

Money was always going to win.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Channel 4 let horse racing rights go so they could have Formula One. It's funny how things workout isn't it?

ITV also originally let the F1 go to keep the football.

Not good for yet another sport to be behind a paywall, there is going to be very little free to air at this rate.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pick, or whatever the 2019 equivalent is, I'd imagine. It's what they did when C4 lost the NFL rights last year, stuck 2-3 games on pick.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless Sky sell the free to air rights on to another broadcaster like they did with football a few years ago.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How come BBC dramas always consolidate so much after 28 days in comparison to ITV or Ch4 dramas? Is it to do with adverts or just general great reach by the BBC?

Has BBC1 actually had a drama on Tuesday's that has actually flopped? I don't recall one. The cloest I can see of this happening is Frankie which was still over 4m.

ITV below 2m all evening with double factual AGAIN!! Someone is clearly not learning lessons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    ITV also originally let the F1 go to keep the football.

Not good for yet another sport to be behind a paywall, there is going to be very little free to air at this rate.
    Another interesting angle to thud story is that F1 drivers are worried about it going exclusively to pay TV as well.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35882820
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How come BBC dramas always consolidate so much after 28 days in comparison to ITV or Ch4 dramas? Is it to do with adverts or just general great reach by the BBC?

Has BBC1 actually had a drama on Tuesday's that has actually flopped? I don't recall one. The cloest I can see of this happening is Frankie which was still over 4m.

ITV below 2m all evening with double factual AGAIN!! Someone is clearly not learning lessons.

Please don't mention Frankie again! They had a flop Wednesday drama. Remember The Interceptor? We won't mention that again either!

With ITV/Channel 4 drama you'd expect a lot of recorded viewing to skip commercials. Humans did very well in 28 day numbers, but the largest 28 day timeshifts have been for BBC1 dramas. No idea why.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please don't mention Frankie again! They had a flop Wednesday drama. Remember The Interceptor? We won't mention that again either!

With ITV/Channel 4 drama you'd expect a lot of recorded viewing to skip commercials. Humans did very well in 28 day numbers, but the largest 28 day timeshifts have been for BBC1 dramas. No idea why.

It must be to do with reach. Given then number of viewers who watch or listen to radio stations by the BBC every day, they can reach viewers further than any other channel.

The Interceptor wasn't on Tuesday though. I imagine it would have been around 500k-1m higher on Tuesday being against weaker competition and typically a day BBC1 does well.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there was a flop sci-fi drama on BBC One on Tuesdays a few years ago. Didn't it get bumped to Sunday nights at 10.30? Outcasts?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It must be to do with reach. Given then number of viewers who watch or listen to radio stations by the BBC every day, they can reach viewers further than any other channel.

The Interceptor wasn't on Tuesday though. I imagine it would have been around 500k-1m higher on Tuesday being against weaker competition and typically a day BBC1 does well.

I'd say word of mouth in workplaces led to The Night Manager and Doctor Foster adding so much rather than reach. Didn't help Cuffs.

And The Interceptor was dreadful, people would have tuned out no matter what day it was on.
  • Options
    DanManF1DanManF1 Posts: 8,346
    Forum Member
    Presumably tonight's Panorama on BBC One will receive a bit of a boost due to the events of yesterday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there was a flop sci-fi drama on BBC One on Tuesdays a few years ago. Didn't it get bumped to Sunday nights at 10.30? Outcasts?

I was one of the few that liked it. Outcasts was a big flop, the Survivors remake lost viewers on Tuesdays too.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good point in the Radio Times article about C4 losing the future rights before they've even shown their first live race!

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-03-23/sky-sports-secure-exclusive-rights-to-formula-1-from-2019-ending-full-free-to-air-coverage
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can't remember if Waterloo Road was on Tuesdays, that was a flop particularly when the school was moved to Scotland with no perceptible change in the curriculum.
This discussion has been closed.