Options

First Dates Ch4 Thursday 9pm

Comments

• Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    Although his date was a bit of a bimbo, she had the sense to grab her coat and run.

People on Twitter were quite harsh about her decision but she was being honest, we don't know what her son went through before.
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    People on Twitter were quite harsh about her decision but she was being honest, we don't know what her son went through before.

The date was going well up until the moment he let slip that he had a drugs past. Her honesty should be applauded as she could so easily have agreed to another date and backed out off camera.
  • Options
    sarah_2277sarah_2277 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had a bit of a debate about it in my house. One of us said he shouldn't have told her on first date, I said it's part of who he is and has made him the person he is today so there's no point in hiding it. I didn't catch if he said how long he'd been sober/clean, I don't know if that would have made any difference. The thing is he's probably more settled and stable because of what he's been through than men she'd meet on a night out.
  • Options
    tony321tony321 Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarah_2277 wrote: »
    We had a bit of a debate about it in my house. One of us said he shouldn't have told her on first date, I said it's part of who he is and has made him the person he is today so there's no point in hiding it. I didn't catch if he said how long he'd been sober/clean, I don't know if that would have made any difference. The thing is he's probably more settled and stable because of what he's been through than men she'd meet on a night out.

She said it was because of her child and not wanting to take a chance
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tony321 wrote: »
    She said it was because of her child and not wanting to take a chance

That was a good enough reason. She had no commitment to the man, but her child is everything.
  • Options
    avanneavanne Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    There is a school of thought that people in recovery from addiction are 'better than well'.

She was quite happy to knock back a few glasses of wine and go back to look after her son, whilst her date remained sober and she judged him on a dead & buried drug problem.

He has been there, recognised a problem, and made a decision to step away from it, whilst many others of us (myself included - although I don't have children) go out and get at least occasionally hammered.

Getting drunk is OK because it s legal, a couple of glasses of wine every day to take the edges off is OK because it's legal, but deciding to stay sober (of drugs and alcohol) because you know you have a problem isn't OK & makes you a danger to children?

I don't judge her for her decision, because she made it believing it was the right thing for her child, but it was an uneducated decision, and I think, her loss.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,549
    Forum Member
    avanne wrote: »
    There is a school of thought that people in recovery from addiction are 'better than well'.

She was quite happy to knock back a few glasses of wine and go back to look after her son, whilst her date remained sober and she judged him on a dead & buried drug problem.

He has been there, recognised a problem, and made a decision to step away from it, whilst many others of us (myself included - although I don't have children) go out and get at least occasionally hammered.

Getting drunk is OK because it s legal, a couple of glasses of wine every day to take the edges off is OK because it's legal, but deciding to stay sober (of drugs and alcohol) because you know you have a problem isn't OK & makes you a danger to children?

I don't judge her for her decision, because she made it believing it was the right thing for her child, but it was an uneducated decision, and I think, her loss.

I would have run a mile - I gave a sober alcoholic a chance and all was well for 12 years until he lapsed. My life became a living hell for 5 years until I made the decision to divorce. It's not that we didn't have good times but I would rather have avoided what happened in the end.
    I also had an uncle with an addiction that kept returning so my trust in lasting recovery is gone. I just would never take that chance again and cannot blame this lady for putting her son first.
  • Options
    amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,853
    Forum Member
    sarah_2277 wrote: »

According to Kate, it wouldn't have mattered how long he'd been sober, i.e. it was enough that he had been a drug addict.

Although Danny was clearly aroused by Kate (the oggling of her exposed breasts), I didn't see that he was smitten with her in an ongoing girlfriend sense.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rovermac wrote: »
    Is it a coincidence since the idiot head waiter and his staff/actors started piping up numbers have dropped ?

As far as I'm concerned it's no coincidence at all! I think they've ruined the show with their stupid antics. >:(
  • Options
    AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    As far as I'm concerned it's no coincidence at all! I think they've ruined the show with their stupid antics. >:(

I am not sure whether it's the stupid bits with the "staff", the fact that so many daters are wannabe celebs or just that the novelty has worn off for me, but the show has definitely gone downhill as far as I'm concerned, too. In any event, it would certainly be better if they cut out Fred's creepy ramblings to camera and the daft, giggly waitresses and waiter. The only one I can stand is the barman (although another 'plant') as at least those bits are more relevant/realistic and his chats help us get to know the daters at that point. He also doesn't do any stand-alone bits - probably had the sense to refuse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AKFE wrote: »
    I am not sure whether it's the stupid bits with the "staff", the fact that so many daters are wannabe celebs or just that the novelty has worn off for me, but the show has definitely gone downhill as far as I'm concerned, too. In any event, it would certainly be better if they cut out Fred's creepy ramblings to camera and the daft, giggly waitresses and waiter. The only one I can stand is the barman (although another 'plant') as at least those bits are more relevant/realistic and his chats help us get to know the daters at that point. He also doesn't do any stand-alone bits - probably had the sense to refuse.
    Agree with all you say here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have I missed something? Why suddenly a random old episode (from last series)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have I missed something? Why suddenly a random old episode (from last series)?

Maybe you watched a repeat i.e. the current series is all new episodes.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The episode on now is a repeat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    amyawake wrote: »
    Maybe you watched a repeat i.e. the current series is all new episodes.

It's just that last Tuesday at this time it was episode 6 of Series 6. Tonight, same slot, it's episode 5 of Series 4. They usually have more than six episodes per series so I'm surprised if the latest series has finished.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though it's a repeat, the two girls are one of my favourite couples.

They seemed like a match made in heaven.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    The episode on now is a repeat.

Thanks. Yes, I saw it before. Just surprised it's not another new one like last week, as I was just saying above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    treefr0g wrote: »
    Even though it's a repeat, the two girls are one of my favourite couples.

They seemed like a match made in heaven.

They were great, weren't they?
  • Options
    cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next week there is a programme about billionaires in the timeslot so I'm guessing last week was the last of this run
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. Yes, I saw it before. Just surprised it's not another new one like last week, as I was just saying above.

I know. I knew what you were saying, was just clarifying for anyone else who hadn't necessarily seen it previously and assumed it was new.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I know. I knew what you were saying, was just clarifying for anyone else who hadn't necessarily seen it previously and assumed it was new.

Ah, got you.

I think the show has had its day. The ratings are down. Hardly anyone posts on here any more. That series 4, which tonight's repeat was from, was probably the heyday - there were 16 episodes!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon they could get a lot of people back on board if it went back to basics. No bits to camera from the staff, no 'wannabe-personalities' as dates. Just two people who might get on and a nice meal with the cameras watching - not who can say the most outrageous things.

The problem is, if they cut the Maître D and the staff's roles down there's bound to be a vocal minority who'd miss it and complain about it on Twitter etc.
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it annoy anyone else when Gay people can't seem to talk about anything other than "The Gay thing".. OK, we know your Gay because you're on a date with another man.. Get over it and have a conversation about something else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Randysback wrote: »
    Does it annoy anyone else when Gay people can't seem to talk about anything other than "The Gay thing".. OK, we know your Gay because you're on a date with another man.. Get over it and have a conversation about something else.
    Can't say I have noticed this at all....maybe you are looking out for it?
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amyawake wrote: »
    Can't say I have noticed this at all....maybe you are looking out for it?

Oh yes.. Because I spend my whole life looking out for things like that.