Options

'Scared Tina won't like me because I'll have no boobs'

soapreturneesoapreturnee Posts: 421
Forum Member
I really think that line, or that line to that affect really spoilt to heart to heart between Dot and Sonia. I felt it was slightly thrown in there and very random, yet maybe that's how people may react what did everyone else think???

Comments

• Options
    Zeus89Zeus89 Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really think that line, or that line to that affect really spoilt to heart to heart between Dot and Sonia. I felt it was slightly thrown in there and very random, yet maybe that's how people may react what did everyone else think???

I feel bad but the face Sonia pulled as she was saying it made me laugh, it was something i would expect from Tina.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    I actually think EE are going to make this an issue as I remember Tina saying that Sonia was the best looking bird on the Square with the best boobs or wtte. I remember because it made me vomit a bit :(:blush: I thought it was a bit weird at the time but now am wondering if it was all a precursor for this type of story line.
  • Options
    bluejumperbluejumper Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Sonias fear is very real....
    .... On the surface it seams superficial but she's facing a very tough time
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,267
    Forum Member

It may seem shallow and vain but i think most women would have that concern, that they will no longer be sexually desirable to their partner so a realistic comment. Maybe it did seem odd to say it to Dot but she's the only person she's talked to that isn't her partner or daughter and it would be even more out of place to say it to them as Tina is the one she's worried about so she wouldn't say it to her face and her child? Well, just no.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can't wait to see how they play this out
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bluejumper wrote: »
    Sonias fear is very real....
    .... On the surface it seams superficial but she's facing a very tough time

Exactly . Many women facing mastectomy have the fear of rejection .
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's as though this story with Sonia and the cancer gene was forgotten. They've had to have her find a lump to pick up the story from nigh on two years ago. It will be her exit storyline for mat leave. She'll decide to live and enjoy life after this scare.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Exactly . Many women facing mastectomy have the fear of rejection .

Yes its also the same for guy's who struggle when they have there testicular removed or just the one, they fear they won't be seen to be a "real man".
  • Options
    Peg ODwyerPeg ODwyer Posts: 43,221
    Forum Member
    But when Carol had hers removed, iirc Tina was saying women were so much more than their boobs, & true love meant loving the person ( a rare mature comment from her)
  • Options
    EE.LiveEE.Live Posts: 4,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeus89 wrote: »
    I feel bad but the face Sonia pulled as she was saying it made me laugh, it was something i would expect from Tina.

Agreed :( I thought the mood was kinda spoilt - the line seemed a bit unexpected.

Also I think the cancer storyline was just brought back because Natalie who plays Sonia is going on maternity leave soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I actually think EE are going to make this an issue as I remember Tina saying that Sonia was the best looking bird on the Square with the best boobs or wtte. I remember because it made me vomit a bit :(:blush: I thought it was a bit weird at the time but now am wondering if it was all a precursor for this type of story line.

Tina did say that yes.

I don't think it was exactly a precursor to this (although they may have had it in the back of their minds if they did decide to go down the Cancer route given she had the gene) but more just a throwaway comment that Tina is a 'breast' girl just as some Men are when viewing how attractive they find a woman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Peg ODwyer wrote: »
    But when Carol had hers removed, iirc Tina was saying women were so much more than their boobs, & true love meant loving the person ( a rare mature comment from her)

True and Tina probably meant it but i stil think that Sonia might wonder if she'd feel the same when it is her girlfriend losing their boobs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Tina did say that yes.

I don't think it was exactly a precursor to this (although they may have had it in the back of their minds if they did decide to go down the Cancer route given she had the gene) but more just a throwaway comment that Tina is a 'breast' girl just as some Men are when viewing how attractive they find a woman.

Tina is by far the breast girlfriend in the world:D

Sorry i will see myself out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The decision to have a mastectomy due to cancer or to have a bilateral preventative mastectomy due to a gene is very hard and takes time (which you might not have) to make the decision... A mastectomy is certainly not a 'boob job'
  • Options
    Peg ODwyerPeg ODwyer Posts: 43,221
    Forum Member
    Zeus89 wrote: »
    Tina is by far the breast girlfriend in the world:D

Sorry i will see myself out
    :D:D:D
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how Dot kept a straight face.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bluejumper wrote: »
    The decision to have a mastectomy due to cancer or to have a bilateral preventative mastectomy due to a gene is very hard and takes time (which you might not have) to make the decision... A mastectomy is certainly not a 'boob job'

Has it been presented as a 'boob job'?

Sonia does seem to have come to the decision quickly but she has probably been thinking about this ever since Carol had Cancer and she discovered she had the gene so for over 2 years.
  • Options
    Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was an odd line, put that with Sonia's expression and then the line before the duff duff "I'm having 'em off" (or something to that degree).

I was cringing.
  • Options
    bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad they're bringing back the cancer gene plot and it's nice to have a storyline which Natalie can sink her teeth into.

She may be a marmite character on here, but for many of us, we have watched Sonia grow up on screen from a very young age and watching her go through this I found strangely gripping.
  • Options
    danyelldanyell Posts: 10,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    True and Tina probably meant it but i stil think that Sonia might wonder if she'd feel the same when it is her girlfriend losing their boobs.

She could always have a reconstruction though. Surprised Sonia hasn't mentioned that.
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I look forward to seeing how it plays out.
  • Options
    Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 32,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I realise people on DS generally dislike the characters of Sonia and Tina but I see no issue with the way this story has been tackled and I found the scene between Dot and Sonia fantastic, we have to remember that Jim and Dot basically brought Sonia up. And I would imagine a woman considering a double mastectomy who has only been in the relationship for just over a year would worry about whether their partner would still find them sexually attractive or not, Carol had similar worries.

Some of the criticism of this story has nothing to do with the story but people's prejudice over two characters and we have to remember that when judging its validity.

Thanks
  • Options
    eastboy1980eastboy1980 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I realise people on DS generally dislike the characters of Sonia and Tina but I see no issue with the way this story has been tackled and I found the scene between Dot and Sonia fantastic, we have to remember that Jim and Dot basically brought Sonia up. And I would imagine a woman considering a double mastectomy who has only been in the relationship for just over a year would worry about whether their partner would still find them sexually attractive or not, Carol had similar worries.

Some of the criticism of this story has nothing to do with the story but people's prejudice over two characters and we have to remember that when judging its validity.

Thanks

Couldn't have said it better. That line felt very realistic to me
  • Options
    All Of MeAll Of Me Posts: 2,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cringeworthy line of the year so far.
  • Options
    billiobillio Posts: 3,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I laughed the day before at Tina's "the reason for the soup". Some daft dialogue for the pair of them lately.