Options

Chris Packham Has Aspergers

Comments

• Options
    EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    Moleskin wrote: »
    Has he been formally diagnosed or has he diagnosed himself which is not the same thing?

Could someone with Aspergers really become a TV presenter?

Could anyone with a form of autism diagnose themselves?. I think most of us could write down a list of our own idiosyncrasies and conclude we have mild Asperger's.

I like Chris just the way he is, knowledgable, enthusiastic, refreshingly unsentimental about nature (but not his dogs it appears) and having a sister who designs such stunning wedding dresses, one of which looked lovely on my daughter, helps too.
  • Options
    Michelle12Michelle12 Posts: 3,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just found an old video of him (such a long time ago :))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EVJBcObzh8

Look at that hair!!! :o
  • Options
    steves lasssteves lass Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    I quite liked him until I saw him on Room 101 where he came across as a very unpleasant individual.
  • Options
    Julia_WebbJulia_Webb Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite liked him until I saw him on Room 101 where he came across as a very unpleasant individual.

One of the 'symptoms' of Aspergers is lack of awareness in Social situations and can come across badly in such situations?
  • Options
    notfussynotfussy Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I didn't think that people with Aspergers would be so sexually flirtatious with their co-presenters.

Shows how much you know about Autism Spectrum, then.
  • Options
    viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    Julia_Webb wrote: »
    One of the 'symptoms' of Aspergers is lack of awareness in Social situations and can come across badly in such situations?

This has come as no surprise whatsoever to me. I worked with him on a countryside-related TV project about 10 years ago and he showed all the symptoms at the time.

Wishing him well and continued success in his career.
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Chris, met him once & exchanged tweets on numerous occasions. I can't say the diagnosis is that much of a surprise, my husband is a birder, and it's all about lists , and ticking things off lists, and organising information ... Plus, other than other birders (who are normally the same), it's a fairly solitary pursuit . My nephew has Aspergers, so maybe I just look for the signs !
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck to the lad. A very good presenter, he loves dogs and is into The Clash, The Smiths and The Manics; Never met him and I like him!
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    That might explain his rather crass sexual joke before the 9pm watershed on Winterwatch earlier this year about getting Michaela out of bed to show her black c**k in the flesh.

He didn't appear on the next night's edition. There was a twitter storm and we all thought he'd been removed.

About 26 secs in:

http://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/tvfilm/chris-packham-stuns-winterwatch-viewers-with-shocking-xrated-sexual-innuendo-before-the-watershed-a3166341.html
  • Options
    RosebuddyRosebuddy Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julia_Webb wrote: »

Really ?

The poster said he thought Chris came across as "unpleasant ".

Is unpleasantness now a symptom of Aspergers or is it just an ordinary personality trait ?
  • Options
    acid rainacid rain Posts: 6,997
    Forum Member
    Has he been formally diagnosed or has he diagnosed himself which is not the same thing?

Could someone with Aspergers really become a TV presenter?

He diagnosed himself, so he can't actually confirm he has it.

Unless someone gets diagnosed by a professional then it doesn't really count, imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No offence, but this guy always seemed several sandwiches short of a picnic.

Didn't he say he wished pandas would become extinct.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/6216775/Chris-Packham-Giant-pandas-should-be-allowed-to-die-out.html

He clearly explains in the article that they should be allowed to become extinct because they have no secure habitat.

Wildlife expert David Bellamy agrees with him, so I don't see how that makes Chris crazy at all.

He spoke only out of concern for the Pandas and the uncertain, troubled future the species would face.
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,045
    Forum Member
    acid rain wrote: »

Unless someone gets diagnosed by a professional then it doesn't really count, imo.

A professionals diagnosis if made early (in children) can often be based only on caregivers observations, they may not always be correct.

And aren't we all on the spectrum?
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A stereotypical animal lover/human hater I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could anyone with a form of autism diagnose themselves?. I think most of us could write down a list of our own idiosyncrasies and conclude we have mild Asperger's.

There does seem to be a lot of people diagnosing themselves like it's the latest trendy thing, like the new wheat intolerance or something.

TV wildlife presenters have always been a bit eccentric, look at Bellamy, Oddie, Irwin, Nutkins, Johnny Morris, Jack Hanna, I could go on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A stereotypical animal lover/human hater I think.

Not at all! I appreciate life in all its forms. I just disliked things he said like he he tears childrens paintings off other peoples fridges as he doesn't like them! There were other instances, he just seemed really intolerant.
  • Options
    SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Packham seems perfectly fine. People forget that you're supposed to have a clinically significant impairment to be diagnosed with Aspergers.
    tszujme wrote: »
    Yes, of course, there are people with Aspergers in all sorts of jobs.

No, 85% of people with Aspergers are unemployed, and those that are employed tend to be in low-paid, unskilled jobs, and have a high rate of job turnover.
  • Options
    SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As a diagnosed Asperger I wholeheartedly agree.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

like claiming to be part of a club which if you wanted to be part of it, wouldn't have you as a member
    :kitty:

watch how fringe individuals have to validate themselves by branding themselves with the name of a clinical condition on the interwebs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EvieJ wrote: »
    A professionals diagnosis if made early (in children) can often be based only on caregivers observations, they may not always be correct.

And aren't we all on the spectrum?

Yeah, I've heard that saying, but a spectrum wouldn't exist if it affected everyone. And I don't think an official diagnosis should be based on caregivers observations.

Imo, the brain is meant to be studied with neuro-imaging.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all! I appreciate life in all its forms. I just disliked things he said like he he tears childrens paintings off other peoples fridges as he doesn't like them! There were other instances, he just seemed really intolerant.

Not you, him!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squatch wrote: »
    As a diagnosed Asperger I wholeheartedly agree.

It's not that easy to get a diagnosis though as there are not that many experts in the NHS to do the diagnosing, and too many people to see.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Squatch wrote: »
    Chris Packham seems perfectly fine. People forget that you're supposed to have a clinically significant impairment to be diagnosed with Aspergers.

No, 85% of people with Aspergers are unemployed, and those that are employed tend to be in low-paid, unskilled jobs, and have a high rate of job turnover.

The trouble is my Asperger's support group is being taken over by people who believe you can be autistic and not affected by it in terms of being impaired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not you, him!

Oops! Sorry, I misunderstood.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Country file is a pretty naff tv show it has to be said.