Options

BBC4 Y Gwyll / Hinterland

Comments

• Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that the woman playing Meg didn't sound like a Welsh woman - she's actually Anamaria Marinca, a Romanian actress. Thought I'd seen her before somewhere!

I assumed the character was supposed to be Eastern European from her accent, but not sure why she is determined to emigrate to Canada rather than somewhere closer?
  • Options
    ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They need to ease up on the angst and the back-biting. Neither makes for good TV. The first series was much more enjoyable. Episode 2 of this series was an improvement on the woeful first episode though I suppose.
  • Options
    WhoAteMeDinnerWhoAteMeDinner Posts: 4,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sure is full of angst. Bit too downbeat for me, the lead police guy looks a bit like a clinically depressed Ricky Gervais. Welsh people are usually quite cheerful.
  • Options
    tim123tim123 Posts: 3,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be the only one here who is enjoying it, lol.

Its one saving grace is that,despite the continuing back story, each crime is solved as an individual story and you can continue to watch to see if it gets better without having to invest time in a story where you don't find out the conclusion.

I do wish that they would fix the bl**dy subtitles

TIM
  • Options
    WhoAteMeDinnerWhoAteMeDinner Posts: 4,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, that's why I switched over to watch Jason Statham snarl and kick ass in Tranporter 2 last Saturday. The two women cops started dwdwlddwying and even though it sounded charming, without subtitles, tough to understand.

Or is that how BBC 4 are getting away with showing it in their Foreign drama timeslot ?
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or is that how BBC 4 are getting away with showing it in their Foreign drama timeslot ?

They don't have to "get away" with anything. They can schedule what they like. I don't think it's cast in stone in their charter.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim123 wrote: »
    Its one saving grace is that,despite the continuing back story, each crime is solved as an individual story and you can continue to watch to see if it gets better without having to invest time in a story where you don't find out the conclusion.

I do wish that they would fix the bl**dy subtitles

TIM

I still don't see the problem with the subtitles. If they increased the size and had large font subtitles in a black box then many, including myself, would complain about them being intrusive.

I wonder if it is because many are not used to 'watching' and concentrating on a programme because they usually spend their time mainly listening whilst they type comments on Twitter or Digital Spy?
  • Options
    tim123tim123 Posts: 3,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I still don't see the problem with the subtitles. If they increased the size and had large font subtitles in a black box then many, including myself, would complain about them being intrusive.

I wonder if it is because many are not used to 'watching' and concentrating on a programme because they usually spend their time mainly listening whilst they type comments on Twitter or Digital Spy?

Well if you don't need the subtitles then watch the version without them :)

But if you do, not everyone has perfect vision and the subs should be available for these people as well.

I watch scandi-drama and have never had a problem. Currently watching "Follow tne Money" and the subs there are edged in black so that they don't disappear behind a white background (and are twice the size). Are these so intrusive that you don't watch at all?

And FWIW, I don't post whilst I am watching.

tim
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just watched for a time on the smaller screen of my laptop, I moved it back further away than I would normally have it. Still no problem reading the subtitles.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say I had trouble with the subtitles again tonight!

As for the plot, I don't understand how or why Nora Protheroe got to live in that house at the age of 21? And how "Daniel" never spotted the burial plot although DCI Mathias found it in a couple of minutes in the dark?
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »

As for the plot, I don't understand how or why Nora Protheroe got to live in that house at the age of 21? And how "Daniel" never spotted the burial plot although DCI Mathias found it in a couple of minutes in the dark?

I found it hard to actually feel bothered about the outcome, it dragged on so long.

The subtitles were a bit small and being white, they were on occasion, s difficult to read against the background and they were sometimes on quite briefly.

Conversely, if you press the "S" on your remote, the size of the font and the clarity is usually quite good.

I really don't know why some on here who say they had no difficulty reading the subtitles, bother to tell us. I mean as if we care and do they really think it "helps" those who had some problems with them?

But that's typical DS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »

Just told a pet dog / cat had been buried there? Not the sort of thing that a two year old infant would be interested in.

Didn't Mathias find it by the traditional means of tripping over the stones?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't know why some on here who say they had no difficulty reading the subtitles, bother to tell us. I mean as if we care and do they really think it "helps" those who had some problems with them?

There have been posts suggests that there is something wrong with the subtitles. I pointed out that I have had no trouble reading them on a 42" screen and a small laptop screen (and with not particularly good eyesight). It suggests to me that there is nothing wrong with the subtitles so worth pointing out.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched 'Sounds of the 60's' on the Yesterday channel instead of this turgid crap. The first 2 episodes done me in.
    Freddie & The Dreamers were infinitely more interesting (and that's saying something) :-( :-D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There have been posts suggests that there is something wrong with the subtitles. I pointed out that I have had no trouble reading them on a 42" screen and a small laptop screen (and with not particularly good eyesight). It suggests to me that there is nothing wrong with the subtitles so worth pointing out.
    You mess with that poster at your peril :)

The only time I have a problem with the subtitles is when they are translating something written down, rather than spoken. For example, the note left on the phone - I was too busy reading it to notice the translation, which had almost gone before I had time to look for it.
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To any Welsh speakers: how/when do Welsh people 'decide' to start speaking in Welsh (as we see the characters doing) when usually they speak in English? From what I can ascertain it looks like during times of increased emotion (although I suppose we do see Marad chatting about usual police issues to the female DS in Welsh too) e.g. trying to persuade someone or trying to 'get through' to them in some way or for increased emphasis. For example last night Tom spoke to the farming community gathered around him in English; then Marad comes over and decides to speak in Welsh and suddenly they are persuaded, they listen to her and back down from their plan.
  • Options
    tartan-belletartan-belle Posts: 14,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if it's an outsider/insider thing? As in Tom isn't one of them, he speaks English but Marad is one of them so they're more likely to listen to her.
    Just a thought :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To any Welsh speakers: how/when do Welsh people 'decide' to start speaking in Welsh (as we see the characters doing) when usually they speak in English? From what I can ascertain it looks like during times of increased emotion (although I suppose we do see Marad chatting about usual police issues to the female DS in Welsh too) e.g. trying to persuade someone or trying to 'get through' to them in some way or for increased emphasis. For example last night Tom spoke to the farming community gathered around him in English; then Marad comes over and decides to speak in Welsh and suddenly they are persuaded, they listen to her and back down from their plan.

I am not a Welsh speaker but I am half Welsh, many people in Wales just switch naturally between the two languages because they are fluent in both.

I have found relative have sometimes apologised before switching to Welsh between themselves because it is easier to express themselves in Welsh.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,814
    Forum Member
    Based on this series about one in ten words used while speaking Welsh are English anyway?
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have found relative have sometimes apologised before switching to Welsh between themselves because it is easier to express themselves in Welsh.

Ok - interesting. :)
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they shoud give the Samaritans number at the end of this, what a depressing series. English or Welsh, there's not much need for subtitles. Most of the time is taken up with characters staring grimly into the middle distance. Come on, lighten up a bit, it's not that bad.

Having said that, did I detect a little smile from both Tom and Marad at the end ?
  • Options
    dafydddafydd Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Based on this series about one in ten words used while speaking Welsh are English anyway?

There's no such thing as a pure language, Welsh or English. There are lot of words in Welsh you might not understand but were imported from English centuries ago or even earlier French or Latin. A lot of 'English' words are imported from French, German and other languages around the world, particularly from the former British Empire.

There are also a lot of common words which were imported around the same time in Welsh and English but have been adapted to each language. Most conversational Welsh will include a lot of words that you might recognise because they are common words across the world not just in English.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah well, time for tiffin...
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As I said, how does that help those who obviously had difficulty reading all the subtitles?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Points of View today they mentioned each scene is shot twice - first in Welsh then in English. Do the actors get paid twice ?