Forum Member
For F*** sake!

Comments

• Options
    MadBettyMadBetty Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For F*** sake!

Indeed. Adults forcing their issues onto children. Kids don't think about relationship and sexual identity issues when at the cinema - leave it out ffs.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot be the only one fed up hearing about this. *yawn*

Imho its political correctness gone bonkers.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    But it's ok for every other film for the girl to get her Prince.

I'm happy about this it's about time it was done.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am i alone in not thinking that Elsa was a Lesbian in frozen? I didnt see anything that hinted about it at all
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind if it's done right, ie not shoehorned in for the sake of it.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Am i alone in not thinking that Elsa was a Lesbian in frozen? I didnt see anything that hinted about it at all

She wasn't interested in any of the men which pretty much always is a major plot in Disney films.
  • Options
    seventhwaveseventhwave Posts: 4,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MadBetty wrote: »
    Indeed. Adults forcing their issues onto children. Kids don't think about relationship and sexual identity issues when at the cinema - leave it out ffs.

That's right, they don't. If something isn't presented as an "issue", they won't see it as one. So we shouldn't treat it as an issue by squawking and flapping about how same-sex relationships are something bad and inappropriate for children to see
  • Options
    BodyElectricBodyElectric Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    I don't care if she has a girlfriend or not but at this point I'm so sick of identity politics I could scream.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    MadBetty wrote: »

By that logic no disney princess should have a boyfriend either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care if she has a girlfriend or not but at this point I'm so sick of identity politics I could scream.

Identity politics, how? Why is having a character that is gay, disabled, black or brown automatically "political"?
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    So sick of this now, if they want to make a gay character then make an established gay character, don't just change one of the biggest movie characters just because some people identified "Let it Go" with coming out of the closet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Identity politics, how? Why is having a character that is gay, disabled, black or brown automatically "political"?

It's not inclusion that bothers me, I think that's actually very important. It's the endless discourse (which is often full of language policing and shaming of others in one way or another) and navel gaving that surrounds identity politics which gets on my nerves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Fair enough
    So sick of this now, if they want to make a gay character then make an established gay character, don't just change one of the biggest movie characters just because some people identified "Let it Go" with coming out of the closet.

It wouldn't be changing her. It doesn't contradict any established element of her character (as it would with Anna)

On a tangent but still relevant: I think it's hypocritical when people say that Elsa shouldn't have a girlfriend because "Frozen is supposed to be about sisterly love not romantic love!" yet are happy with Anna and Kristoff and the fact that Anna's desire to fall in love was brought up often in the movie
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^ Fair enough

Re-reading my original comment I can see that it looked bad, so I'm glad I was given a reason to explain it. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re-reading my original comment I can see that it looked bad, so I'm glad I was given a reason to explain it. :)

In turn, I'm sorry I reacted a bit too aggressively
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In turn, I'm sorry I reacted a bit too aggressively

No, you were fine. My problem is I've been spending way too much time on Tumblr, where people go insane over this stuff.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it's ok for every other film for the girl to get her Prince.

I'm happy about this it's about time it was done.

Absolutely! Okay for one but not the other. I'm completely fine with it.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Elsa's probably the only attractive, female Disney princess/Queen never to be given a relationship.

She has a slightly deeper voice than other Disney princesses/Queens. She's a bit of a loner and a bit weird...

So therefore, they should make her a lesbian?

I wouldn't mind seeing a gay Disney character, but surely it would be an insult if the first one turned out to be Elsa. I think it would create a more positive image if the first gay Disney character was friendly, outgoing and open with their sexuality from the start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »
    Elsa's probably the only attractive, female Disney princess/Queen never to be given a relationship.

She has a slightly deeper voice than other Disney princesses/Queens. She's a bit of a loner and a bit weird...

I wouldn't mind seeing a gay Disney character, but surely it would be an insult if the first one turned out to be Elsa. I think it would create a more positive image if the first gay Disney character was friendly, outgoing and open with their sexuality from the start.

People, especially kids, seem to really identify with Elsa though, so I can see why fandom campaigners have latched on.

Personally, I thought Frozen was a very average movie and often rather dull. I honestly believe if not for Let It Go and Elsa's awesome sparkly dress it would not have been even half as popular as it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People saying about the Disney prince. As many of them are based on fairytales they're not going to change them just for the sake of it.

In the Snow Queen Kay and Gerda were best friends, not lovers so the sister dynamic was just a slight variation of it.

I'm more than happy for Disney to bring in a same sex couple, just not with already established characters where there's been no hint of it beforehand.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    To say theres "no hint" of Elsa being gay is pushing it a bit...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People, especially kids, seem to really identify with Elsa though, so I can see why fandom campaigners have latched on.

Personally, I thought Frozen was a very average movie and often rather dull. I honestly believe if not for Let It Go and Elsa's awesome sparkly dress it would not have been even half as popular as it is.

I agree. I think Frozen gets praised for a lot of things that other Disney movies have done better - including the sister relationship (Lilo and Stitch, or Brave for a mother-daughter relationship that's more important than romantic love)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree. I think Frozen gets praised for a lot of things that other Disney movies have done better - including the sister relationship (Lilo and Stitch, or Brave for a mother-daughter relationship that's more important than romantic love)

I keep meaing to see Lilo and Stitch. Even though I love Disney I just never got around to that one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    To say theres "no hint" of Elsa being gay is pushing it a bit...

From a child's POV there's very little.
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »

This is what I wondered about.
    In the first movie Elsa is terrified of herself to the point she runs away. A lot of the movie is centred around Anna and Elsa not knowing what love is. Even for each other.
    Anna just falls in love with the two guys she meets!

If Elsa is gay how would she be portrayed. Would it be a coming out story where elsa always knew she was gay but once again afraid to be herself? Or would she meet someone (the confident out going open character) and fall in love?