Options

Britney at The 2016 Billboard Music Awards

Comments

• Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a casual fan of Britney, but I really didn't enjoy the performance. Yes, she always lip syncs which I don't agree with, but the main problem was she didn't do her hits. It was billed as a Greatest Hits performance, but a few of the songs I didn't even recognize. The best part was Toxic, but where were the other hits? Why was she doing I Love Rock and Roll?

The issue with the lip syncing is she always lip syncs every note, and never sings live at all. Other artists who dance use a backing track which they sing live over. Rihanna and Madonna for example sing mostly live at their concerts. There's really not another pop artist who never sings a note live ever. I think it's okay to use a backing track ocassionally for really intense dance routines, but there's no excuse for not singing a single note live ever.
  • Options
    Jeannie_WilsonJeannie_Wilson Posts: 1,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linda (or whatever you call yourself these days)...

Who mentioned Rihanna? This topic is about Britney Spears so I don't know why you're bringing Rihanna or any other artist into it. The only reason I mentioned Madonna is because someone here stupidly labelled Britney the Queen Of Pop, which simply isn't true. Go check google for facts.

Madonna might not have had a US #1 in 8 years but it's the amount of units sold that matters.

Madonna was 50 when she released "4 Minutes", and althought it didn't make #1 in the US It sold a staggering 3,000,000 units over there.

Rihanna's "Work" was supposed to be her massive comeback but despite reaching #1 it only sold 1,331,235 units and the album was looked upon as a massive failure. I think Rihanna's best years are behind her. There's no way she will be selling the same amount of records as Madonna did when she was 50.

Linda, you seem to have a bee in your bonet about Madonna fans. Strangely enough the content in your post looks remarkably similar to the same poster who has multiple accounts on DS and likes to log in and out of them and have hate filled conversations with themselves in order to make it appear like Madonna is unpopular on DS. That same poster is a very bitter Kylie Minogue fan who has never gotten over the fact that Madonna sold 9 million copies of "Hung Up" (worldwide). The same person who brags endlessly about Kylie having two 2million selling singles in the UK - it's a shame she didn't repeat that success for the rest of the world where she is virtually an unknown.

Don't you get bored of downplaying Madonna's success and achievements at every opportunity with these long winded posts? Not only on here but everywhere else?
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Brit. ..always will. I will always root for her. She will always be my favorite singer . I was so proud of her Sunday 💕💕💕💕💕.

I've reached a stage where I don't care what people say about her lol. ..it's whatever at this point.....shrug. .. As long as she's content in life and I truly believe she's now, then I'm happy for her 💕💕
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurgh. As usual this thread has descnded into pettiness. This thread is about BRITNEY SPEARS, and her performance at the Billboard awards, can we please stick to talking about that? Either you enjoyed it or you didn't.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    mialicious wrote: »
    But her dancing sucks as well.

I think it's alright. She injured her knee a couple of times in the past so she's not going to dance like she did as a teen any more. That's why the Onyx Hotel Tour and Outrageous video shoot were cancelled.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ]
    Rihanna's "Work" was supposed to be her massive comeback but despite reaching #1 it only sold 1,331,235 units and the album was looked upon as a massive failure. I think Rihanna's best years are behind her. There's no way she will be selling the same amount of records as Madonna did when she was 50.

Absolute rubbish. Work spent 9 weeks at #1 in the US and is her second best charting single ever behind We Found Love. The album has been a huge success in the US and she's currently having success with 5 different songs at once. She's the biggest female artist via streaming which shows that she's just about as relevant as you could possibly get.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    Pot kettle black? Did you forget Bitch I'm Madonna, the cringest song and video ever made. If anyone has been recently "riding on the coattail of relevant artists" it's Madonna. That video with all those celeb cameos just reeked of desperation, plus featuring the most popular female rapper on her song to try and get it popular. Madonna is trying to stay relevant by all these cringy gimmicks.

Pot Kettle Black? What on earth are you talking about? Where did I defend Madonna or state that she's relevant? Both Britney and Madonna are as irrelevant as the other. I was merely pointing out the ridiculousness of defending one whilst criticising the other.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just watched the performance. I didn't have high hopes at all after reading this thread but I thought it was OK. I understand where the "robotic" comments are coming from though!

On the topic of the Billboard awards as a whole, are there plants in the crowd paid to dance? Some of the enjoyment that the camera cut to seemed forced to me.
  • Options
    Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought she did bloody well, I couldn't imagine many (f any) of her peers getting back on stage after everything she has been through over the years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish. Work spent 9 weeks at #1 in the US and is her second best charting single ever behind We Found Love. The album has been a huge success in the US and she's currently having success with 5 different songs at once. She's the biggest female artist via streaming which shows that she's just about as relevant as you could possibly get.

Sorry but the USA isn't the be and end all of the music industry, the fact that Drake was the guest rapper on "Work" obviously helped it's performance. Saying that...the lead single from her new studio album should've rocketed straight to #1, but it didn't, It opened at #9. and the album 27.

"Anti" is Rihanna's lowest opening chart position. "Work" isn't even in her UK top 20 best selling songs.

The following singles "Kiss It Better" and "Needed Me" flopped massively..not just in the US, but everywhere. The US is a country where she is considered the most popular so those singles should have charted better.

All in all, "Anti" (which sold 300,000 in the US ) was considered a massive flop compared to her previous album "Unapologetic" which shifted 1,200,000 (US) and 4 Million worldwide.
  • Options
    ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    Last time I checked we were discussing Britney Spears but all hell seems to have broken loose with madonna and rihanna thrown into the mix, what the hell have they got to do with Britneys bbma performance
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ritchie2yk wrote: »
    Last time I checked we were discussing Britney Spears but all hell seems to have broken loose with madonna and rihanna thrown into the mix, what the hell have they got to do with Britneys bbma performance

You can thank LindaLaHughes for opening this can of worms, who seems to have mysteriously disappeared after bringing Rihanna and every other female pop star into it to downplay Madonna's success and achievements.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry but the USA isn't the be and end all of the music industry, the fact that Drake was the guest rapper on "Work" obviously helped it's performance. Saying that...the lead single from a new studio album should've rocketed straight to #1, but it didn't, It opened at #9. and the album 27.

"Anti" is Rihanna's lowest opening chart position. "Work" isn't even in her UK top 20 best selling songs.

The following singles "Kiss It Better" and "Needed Me" flopped massively..not just in the US, but everywhere. The US is a country where she is considered the most popular so those singles should have charted better over there.

All in all, "Anti" (which sold 300,000 in the US ) was considered a massive flop compared to her previous album "Unapologetic" which shifted 1,200,000 (US) and 4 Million worldwide.

I know this is off topic but I'm refusing to stand for this blatant spinning of figures. The album was released on a Thursday evening, in the last few moments of the charting week. This was because it initially leaked. That's why it debuted low. It literally had around an hour's worth of figures.

Your Unapologetic sales figures include non physical copies. Your ANTI sales figure doesn't. It's sold over 1 million copies in the US and another 1 million free downloads. It's double platinum. Ultimately the free Samsung giveaway renders ANTI's sales figures as uncomparable to her previous albums anyway. We simply do not know how many copies she would've sold without it. In the UK though I accept her album sales are underwhelming however nor is that market the centre of the universe when it comes to sales.

Also, the US is the biggest market in the world. Work was a massive hit there and a big hit worldwide. Work would've been big with or without Drake so lets not start that argument. Drake had never had a #1 without Rihanna until his latest release.

Now lets remember that the album has had next to no promo and had had absolutely none at all in the US until this weekend. She released Needed Me as a single because it had already taken off of its own accord in the US. It's streaming figures there are very impressive. Kiss It Better was released at the same time (again without promo) as a fans favourite and has become a moderate hit in the UK. I'd say neither have flopped. Plus her singles this era have been released unconventionally when you consider that at the same time as ANTI she's doing extremely well with This Is What You Came For and her feature on Drake's album is charting highly worldwide without even being released as an official single.

Rihanna is still on top of her game and continues to improve and her streaming figures prove her relevance to today's music scene. She was the most streamed female artist last year despite not releasing an album and continues to be one of the top performers on a platform mainly used by the younger listeners of music. If that doesn't spell it out I don't know what does.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    I thought she did bloody well, I couldn't imagine many (f any) of her peers getting back on stage after everything she has been through over the years.

A singer,who can't actually sing did "bloody well" by miming for a few minutes.
    You aren't really serious,are you ?
    The best thing I can say about that "performance" is that Britney has a nice ass :)
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She wasn't miming though. I heard her voice singing along with the songs. Better than nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Work would've been big with or without Drake so lets not start that argument. Drake had never had a #1 without Rihanna until his latest release.

You don't know that for sure. He might not have had a #1 single but he's had two that went top 5 and #1 albums since 2010. (before he worked with Rihanna) so he wasn't exactly unknown before he worked with her.
    Now lets remember that the album has had next to no promo and had had absolutely none at all in the US until this weekend.

What a lot of claptrap. Have you completely forgotten that Anti was promoted in the form of commercials and an interactive website? Samsung likely also paid for the copies of the album that the aforementioned download code made free to consumers, and what about Tidal? Not to mention her appearance on Ellen and the cryptic messages on Twitter.
    Rihanna is still on top of her game and continues to improve and her streaming figures prove her relevance to today's music scene. She was the most streamed female artist last year despite not releasing an album and continues to be one of the top performers on a platform mainly used by the younger listeners of music. If that doesn't spell it out I don't know what does.

lmao. You can spin it as much as you like but she's not the force she once was. Beyonce is the one whose more relevant in todays music scene. She's clearly overtaken Rihanna in terms of streaming and popularity with the younger audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't know that for sure. He might not have had a #1 single but he's had two that went top 5 and #1 albums since 2010. (before he worked with Rihanna) so he wasn't exactly unknown before he worked with her.

And you don't know for sure either so how can you claim that Drake "obviously helped it's performance"? You simply don't know that.
    What a lot of claptrap. Have you completely forgotten that Anti was promoted in the form of commercials and an interactive website? Samsung likely also paid for the copies of the album that the aforementioned download code made free to consumers, and what about Tidal? Not to mention her appearance on Ellen and the cryptic messages on Twitter.

The ANTIdiaRy was for the hardcore Navy who were becoming impatient due to the lack of information on the album release. The masses weren't really aware of what it was. The free download doesn't count as promo. The act of releasing the album and posting on Twitter about it isn't promo either. I'm talking about performance slots. She was interviewed on Ellen but didn't say much about the album and didn't perform. The only performance slots she's had are the BRITs and BBMAs (and on the latter she sang an album track).
    lmao. You can spin it as much as you like but she's not the force she once was. Beyonce is the one whose more relevant in todays music scene. She's clearly overtaken Rihanna in terms of streaming and popularity with the younger audience.

I'm not spinning anything. My figures are correct unlike yours earlier. I'm not going to talk about Beyonce because they are 2 fantastic artists who don't need to be pitted against one another as there is plenty of room for both. To bring it back on topic slightly at least both of those artists are actually being innovative and furthering themselves so even if there comes a day when they aren't relevant they'll still have more credibility than Britney will ever have, not to mention more talent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not going to talk about Beyonce because they are 2 fantastic artists who don't need to be pitted against one another as there is plenty of room for both.

There's plenty of room for all of them, especially Madonna and Britney but that didn't stop you slagging them off. The only reason you don't want to discuss Beyonce is because you know she wipes the floor with Rihanna. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pmsl... There's plenty of room for all of them...especially Madonna and Britney but that didn't stop you slagging off both of them. The only reason you don't want to discuss Beyonce is because you know she wipes the floor with Rihanna. :D

Yes there's room for them but neither are producing anything of any relevance so that's why they aren't up there any more. Oh and no it isn't. I fail to see why we should compare Beyonce and Rihanna when both are totally different artists who are both furthering themselves and both delivering great music. They have totally different sounds and aim at different audiences. I just find this idea that they are rivals absolutely bizarre. So Beyonce has a better vocal ability. Likewise Rihanna has more hits. I don't know what you want me to say but given that you've made another thread on the subject I suspect you're just on the wind up. You're facts have been proven as lies so give it up. When all you can respond with is "pmsl" I think it's clear that your argument has been torn apart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there's room for them but neither are producing anything of any relevance so that's why they aren't up there any more. Oh and no it isn't. I fail to see why we should compare Beyonce and Rihanna when both are totally different artists who are both furthering themselves and both delivering great music. They have totally different sounds and aim at different audiences. I just find this idea that they are rivals absolutely bizarre. So Beyonce has a better vocal ability. Likewise Rihanna has more hits. I don't know what you want me to say but given that you've made another thread on the subject I suspect you're just on the wind up. You're facts have been proven as lies so give it up. When all you can respond with is "pmsl" I think it's clear that your argument has been torn apart.

Irrelevant according to who? You? Lmao...oh please. If Madonna was irrelevant the press wouldn't bother talking about her, but instead they pick up on any minor detail in her life to attract people. Even her no parking signs on her driveway etc made worldwide news.

Torn apart? lmao...really? Oh dear. If I really wanted to bombard you with statistics and facts I could go on forever but right now I am in far to much of a good mood to be bothered with your idiotic claptrap. Keep peddling that bullshit about Rihanna still being the force she once was but it doesn't make it a fact. No doubt you'll reply with more nonsense about how great she is but I won't be here to read such stupidity. I've got better things to do than sit here all day. You obviously haven't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torn apart? lmao...really? Oh dear. If I really wanted to bombard you with statistics and facts I could go on forever but right now I am in far too much of a good mood to be bothered with your idiotic claptrap. Keep peddling that bullshit about Rihanna still being the force she once was but it doesn't make it a fact.

I wasn't peddling anything. You were the one who came in spouting your "Madonna is the Queen of pop" line before attacking Rihanna for seemingly no reason whatsoever when she was brought up quite innocently by a few posters. I only got involved because you were blatantly twisting the truth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't peddling anything. You were the one who came in spouting your "Madonna is the Queen of pop" line before attacking Rihanna for seemingly no reason whatsoever when she was brought up quite innocently by a few posters. I only got involved because you were blatantly twisting the truth.

Read it again. I replied to the poster who made an inaccurate comment about Britney being the queen of pop in post #33. I simply corrected them. I didn't even mention Rihanna to begin with. It was Linda who was blatantly using her as an excuse to bash Madonna so it was far from innocent. and you can get involved as much as you like. You're clearly a biased stan who refuses to see any wrong in anything Rihanna does.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,294
    Forum Member
    This is getting messy i'm surprised some pathetic Xtina fan hasn't waded in :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read it again. I replied to the poster who made an inaccurate comment about Britney being the queen of pop in post #33. I simply corrected them. I didn't even mention Rihanna to begin with. It was Linda who was blatantly using her as an excuse to bash Madonna so it was far from innocent. and you can get involved as much as you like. You're clearly a biased stan who refuses to see any wrong in anything Rihanna does.

That's an opinion. You can't say it's inaccurate. There's no official measurement of who is the "Queen of pop". I'm not a biased stan. I've criticised Rihanna many times on this forum but I will defend her when people post biased/inaccurate figures.
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    This is getting messy i'm surprised some pathetic Xtina fan hasn't waded in :D

"Stripped iz the best album evar and way betta than that shyt those old has beens Dumb Madge and crappy Rihyonce has ever dun! They need 2 take a leaf from Xtina's book cos she SLAYYYYYYYYYYYYS"

etc, et al.