Options

CNN: Irish Fans Are Out Of Control-But In The Most Delightful Way

ireland2dayireland2day Posts: 5,998
Forum Member
A good news fan story from France.

With more violence and hooliganism today, this time from Hungary and Turkey and Croatia at it last night, CNN reports a catalogue of incidents from Irish fans in the link below that is delighting the media and France.
(CNN)Russian*and*English fans*may have dominated headlines during this month's Euro 2016 football championships for their boorish, thuggish behavior. But what about the tens of thousands of Irish fans? They're out of control. In the best possible way.
CNN also report the Irish fans are the toast of the town as far as the French media are concerned.
In the process, the 'Green Army' of the Irish Republic have become the darlings of the French media. Football magazine SoFoot asked: 'Are the Irish fans the best in the world?' Le Monde eulogized 'The Irish: the model fans of Euro 2016.' And TV network Canal Plus*devoted an adoring 5-minute segment*to the wit and wisdom of the Irish, including their mass cheering of a Paris resident every time he appeared on his balcony.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/17/football/eurocup-irish-fans-trnd/

Comments

• Options
    hufflestuffhufflestuff Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? You already posted all about this in the other thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really? You already posted all about this in the other thread.

I thought with more viloence documented in a new thread, it seems it's just bad news after bad news as far as fans are concerned. So I decided to start a good news fan story thread on the euros.
  • Options
    hufflestuffhufflestuff Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thoughg with more viloence documented in a new thread, it seems it's just bad news after bad news as far as fans are concerned. So I decided to start a good news story on fans at the euros.

Of course you did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    From the Independent.
    Republic of Ireland fans were filmed cleaning up after themselves to bring some good to what has been a tainted European Championship. Picking up empty bottles and rubbish.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/euro-2016-republic-of-ireland-fans-pick-up-litter-while-singing-clean-up-for-the-boys-in-green-a7084956.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't want this to be just about the Irish.
    Very cheerful clip below of Welsh fans singing with a French local.
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/watch-wonderful-moment-welsh-fans-11458405
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/watch-wonderful-moment-welsh-fans-11458405

I think we've all worked out what you're up to by now.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Yes Mary I'll take a spoonful of sugar with my meds. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think we've all worked out what you're up to by now.

I mean it as post cheerful stuff from fans from all countries including England.
    There's a funny youtube clip of Irish and English fans outside O'Sullivans pub over there, but in a funny way Russians and riots are mentioned, I'm not sure should I post it.
  • Options
    RosebuddyRosebuddy Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bless them, with so few opportunities to play at the highest level they haven't quite realised what the job of a footie fan abroad is.

This is strange as the Irish usually excel at drinking, being obnoxious and starting fights in an empty boozer.
  • Options
    Miss Ann ThropyMiss Ann Thropy Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "In the most delightful way"

Now I have A Spoonful Of Sugar as earworm.

EDIT: Sorry Paradise_Lost :blush: just noticed you've used this one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rosebuddy wrote: »
    Bless them, with so few opportunities to play at the highest level they haven't quite realised what the job of a footie fan abroad is.

This is strange as the Irish usually excel at drinking, being obnoxious and starting fights in an empty boozer.

Since we're talking about travelling fans, below is part of a quote from an English journalist in the Independent yesterday.
    Irish fans continue to show why the world loves them

Not sure we'd have this great affection nearly everywhere we travel if what you posted was true.
  • Options
    Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member

It is lovely to see people having fun and enjoying themselves, instead of the constant scenes of fighting we have been seeing.

This is what it should be like for all the fans who have travelled to support their respective countries in this tournament.

An event like this should have an exciting fun atmosphere. There are thousands of fans (from all countries) who have saved up and looked forward to going to the tournament for a long time, only to have it spoiled by a minority of idiotic morons.:(

It's such a shame.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow they molested that nun >:(

Edit: I'm actually not joking. She may have taken in it in good spirit but that is far from the point.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mean it as post cheerful stuff from fans from all countries including England.
    There's a funny youtube clip of Irish and English fans outside O'Sullivans pub over there, but in a funny way Russians and riots are mentioned, I'm not sure should I post it.

You seem to comment on every news or social media report that suits you. You mention an English reporter commenting on well behaved Irish fans. So what? There are plenty of well behaved fans from all nations.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

You're the best troll yet :
    :D:D:D
  • Options
    dreadnoughtdreadnought Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just glad not to see the word craic in this thread, which is swiftly moving to the top of my most annoying words ever list.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not half as obnoxious as some of your wind up posts
  • Options
    Last KingdomLast Kingdom Posts: 2,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They not reporting the anti British chants they've been singing then?
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are more peaceful English fans in France than Irish fans. There are only 70 000 Irish fans in France compared with half a million British.
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come on you boys in Green! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Come on you boys in Green! :)

Bit late they're practically out.:D;-)
  • Options
    afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,164
    Forum Member

Dere's more to Oireland dan dis.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're the best troll yet :
    :D:D:D

Bejesus and begorrah, for the love of Mary and all the saints will people stop using dese old stereotypes.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Bit late they're practically out.:D;-)

They can still qualify...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Picking up litter is more interesting than watching this Rep of Ireland team play football to be fair.