Options

Opinions on Sky Q & Broadband

Baz.W.Baz.W. Posts: 10
Forum Member
Hi there, I am currently a Virgin Media customer but I am very interested in Sky Q package, are there any users on here that would like to share their opinions on the Sky Q system?
My only concern about switching to Sky is there relativeley low Broadband speeds, I currently have 200meg with Virgin as we run two Xbox One's and a couple of iPad's as well as Netflix / Amazon Prime being streamed, so I not sure if Sky's broadband will be good enough.

Comments

• Options
    Vertigo1Vertigo1 Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    Personally I love it but there are teething problems with it and you'll find many online moaning about these.

As for broadband, I know what you mean - I kept VM for phone & 200mb broadband and have Q for TV only. Not cheap but best of both worlds.
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much agree I wouldn't go back to Sky+HD , it's far from prefect but can only get better and better.
  • Options
    colin25colin25 Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Pretty much agree I wouldn't go back to Sky+HD , it's far from prefect but can only get better and better.

I never thought I see you paying full price...getting soft in your old age :)
  • Options
    Keith_Rigby1Keith_Rigby1 Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baz.W. wrote: »
    Hi there, I am currently a Virgin Media customer but I am very interested in Sky Q package, are there any users on here that would like to share their opinions on the Sky Q system?
    My only concern about switching to Sky is there relativeley low Broadband speeds, I currently have 200meg with Virgin as we run two Xbox One's and a couple of iPad's as well as Netflix / Amazon Prime being streamed, so I not sure if Sky's broadband will be good enough.

I would have a look online first, from what i have seen a lot of people are sending it back. certain things that are standard on SKY+HD like reminders are not on SKYQ so have a think first. i have SKY+HD and its great. very simple to use and does more than SKYQ does. and the remote on SKYHD is simple to use.
  • Options
    rscottrscott Posts: 6,816
    Forum Member
    I would have a look online first, from what i have seen a lot of people are sending it back. certain things that are standard on SKY+HD like reminders are not on SKYQ so have a think first. i have SKY+HD and its great. very simple to use and does more than SKYQ does. and the remote on SKYHD is simple to use.

Forums often encourage people who like to complain a lot. There are a few being reverted back to Sky+HD, but it's not that large a % of Q customers.

Q doesn't have reminders or favourites (at the moment) but does have (or will soon be getting) quite a few features Sky+HD will never get. For example, accessing recordings on any box, streaming and downloading to tablets, 4 simultaneous recordings, voice search, UHD, live preview of one channel while watching another, etc.

The touch remote does take a little while to get used to, but you also get a conventional remote as well .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rscott wrote: »
    Forums often encourage people who like to complain a lot. There are a few being reverted back to Sky+HD, but it's not that large a % of Q customers.

Q doesn't have reminders or favourites (at the moment) but does have (or will soon be getting) quite a few features Sky+HD will never get. For example, accessing recordings on any box, streaming and downloading to tablets, 4 simultaneous recordings, voice search, UHD, live preview of one channel while watching another, etc.

The touch remote does take a little while to get used to, but you also get a conventional remote as well .

if you look at some of the posts on this thred, you will see for your self, people are saying SKYQ if far from perfect. I know this much if i had laid out the amount of cash that some people have to get SKYQ i would be furious if it was not perfect. As for 4 recording who cares how much tv can you watch at one time? voice search please its a gimmick. and as for the touch remote lots of subscribers hate it. as i said to the o/p SKY+HD is great very user friendly great remote. and no messing around looking for features that are not on it. For the cash it cost for skyq sky should have kept some of the main standard functions of the SKY+ remote. and maybe skyq subscribers would be a lot more happy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    if you look at some of the posts on this thred, you will see for your self, people are saying SKYQ if far from perfect. I know this much if i had laid out the amount of cash that some people have to get SKYQ i would be furious if it was not perfect. As for 4 recording who cares how much tv can you watch at one time? voice search please its a gimmick. and as for the touch remote lots of subscribers hate it. as i said to the o/p SKY+HD is great very user friendly great remote. and no messing around looking for features that are not on it. For the cash it cost for skyq sky should have kept some of the main standard functions of the SKY+ remote. and maybe skyq subscribers would be a lot more happy.

As someone who actually has Q (and has done since the day they started non Sky bb installs), I'm probably in a better position to comment on what it's actually like than some on this thread.
    Only Sunday I was recording the F1 GP, the Touring cars on ITV4, Tour of Switzerland on Eurosport 2 and watching Le Mans on Eurosport 1 . If I had Sky+HD I'd only have been able to watch/record 2 in total.
    I downloaded the Tour to my tablet and watched it on my commute - again not possible without Q as the cycling isn't available on demand via Sky Go.

The new remote is great -yes it's different but change isn't a bad thing. It does more than the old remote too - soundbar control, for example. Oh and setting it up to control tv & soundbar is way easier than the Sky+HD remote. It's all done through on screen menus on the box and can even be updated with new IR codes via Bluetooth.

What features on the old remote are missing then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone who actually has Q (and has done since the day they started non Sky bb installs), I'm probably in a better position to comment on what it's actually like than some on this thread.
    Only Sunday I was recording the F1 GP, the Touring cars on ITV4, Tour of Switzerland on Eurosport 2 and watching Le Mans on Eurosport 1 . If I had Sky+HD I'd only have been able to watch/record 2 in total.
    I downloaded the Tour to my tablet and watched it on my commute - again not possible without Q as the cycling isn't available on demand via Sky Go.

The new remote is great -yes it's different but change isn't a bad thing. It does more than the old remote too - soundbar control, for example. Oh and setting it up to control tv & soundbar is way easier than the Sky+HD remote. It's all done through on screen menus on the box and can even be updated with new IR codes via Bluetooth.

What features on the old remote are missing then?

Its not me you have to convince, its other subscribers that are happy with SKYQ as you can see from this thred and other forums on the internet people are far from happy with SKYQ.. as one subscriber on this page said, its far from perfect, his words not mine. and if you have a look around the net, you will find lots of subscribers are sending it back, and getting there SKY+HD box back.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,576
    Forum Member
    Its not me you have to convince, its other subscribers that are happy with SKYQ as you can see from this thred and other forums on the internet people are far from happy with SKYQ.. as one subscriber on this page said, its far from perfect, his words not mine. and if you have a look around the net, you will find lots of subscribers are sending it back, and getting there SKY+HD box back.

Ignored the question didn't you :D

So presumably you've no idea what functions are supposedly missing?, so why post it?.

I've only seen two SkyQ's so far, and both customers were exceptionally pleased with them - they look great from what I've seen of them, but as it's essentially an upgrade for multi-room (and I don't have, or want, multi-room) there seems little point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignored the question didn't you :D

So presumably you've no idea what functions are supposedly missing?, so why post it?.

I've only seen two SkyQ's so far, and both customers were exceptionally pleased with them - they look great from what I've seen of them, but as it's essentially an upgrade for multi-room (and I don't have, or want, multi-room) there seems little point.

From what i have seen i am missing nothing, i can record 2 programs while watching another, i get a excellent picture on my tv. and my SKY+HD box works perfect thank you.:D
    I did like your post though.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    From what i have seen i am missing nothing, i can record 2 programs while watching another, i get a excellent picture on my tv. and my SKY+HD box works perfect thank you.:D
    I did like your post though.:D

But not record 2 while watching other live programme, can you?
  • Options
    Harassed DadHarassed Dad Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    ... it's essentially an upgrade for multi-room...

Nigel was spot on with this - we changed to Sky Q precisely because of the multi-room advantages (shared planner, no HDD in minis so no noise in the middle of the night, costs less than 3 room multi-room). There are other advantages as well - My Q where you can pick up where you left off, regardless of which box you started to watch an item on; multiple tuners, record 4 and watch a 5th live, plus separate simultaneous live channels on each mini and 2 tablets; UHD when it starts and 1080p HD now.

I can live without reminders and favourites as the advantages balance out for how we use it. Recording 4 channels at once has really helped - could do it before with the multi-room but then didn't have the choice of where to watch. If you're thinking of using the multi-room side of Sky Q then I'd definitely recommend it. If you're only looking at 1 box and don't intend to get a 4k TV then the extra cost is harder to justify over Sky+HD.

Most of the complaints or 'far from perfect' comments are more to do with getting used to the new system - its like having always driven a Mondeo and changing your previous trusty vehicle for a new one to find that while its faster and prettier, the wipers are on the other side of the steering wheel, where the indicator stalk used to be. Not better, not worse, just likely to be annoying when you again scrape bugs over the screen when trying to turn left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But not record 2 while watching other live programme, can you?

No i cant do that, but i dont want to do that. how much tv does somebody want to watch in one day. good god, recording two while watching another recording is more than enough.:o
  • Options
    Night CrawlerNight Crawler Posts: 1,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No i cant do that, but i dont want to do that. how much tv does somebody want to watch in one day. good god, recording two while watching another recording is more than enough.:o

Obviously you have not considered a family home where there could be two adults and two children, but hey, don't let that get in the way of your anti blinkered view. ;-)
  • Options
    Randomguy1Randomguy1 Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baz.W. wrote: »

I switched from Virgin to Sky Q and love it. Also don't just look at sky for your broadband. Plusnet do very good deals on Fibre up to 76Mpbs and if you're lucky sometimes BT will do good offers too. Sky regular broadband is ok but can sometimes be slow never tried their fibre but heard from some people it isn't too great but that could be where they live. Sometimes it's good to shop around and not put all your eggs in one basket as it isn't always cheaper. Try the cash back sites Quidco and Topcashback as well 😊
  • Options
    powarpowar Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    With most things, you only here of the negatives. The positives are just taken for granted. Had teething problems myself and had to replace our hub, other than that its been great. Cannot wait for UHD. I do miss reminders, but life goes on!

Worth mentioning the staff have been first class, couldn't do enough for us.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,576
    Forum Member
    UHD when it starts and 1080p HD now.

Not at all - Sky is only 1080i - the fact the box can de-interlace the programme and output it to the TV doesn't mean it's 1080P, and it's not. It's doing nothing the TV doesn't do anyway, and isn't likely to make any improvement, and could just as easily be poorer.

It's a just a question of which does it better, the TV, or the SkyQ - but neither provide any advantages that 1080P50 (not 1080P25) could do - you need the source to be 1080P.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    colin25 wrote: »
    I never thought I see you paying full price...getting soft in your old age :)
    Who says I'm paying full price ;-)
  • Options
    Magic TorchMagic Torch Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have SkyQ & Sky Fibre Pro, my opinion on each:

SkyQ: It is good, but I prefer the EPG & remote control from SkyHD. Vimeo is a nice addition. For me, the main benefit of SkyQ is being able to have multi-room without having to run coax to each room

Sky Fibre Pro: I cannot get Virgin in my street, but would take broadband from Virgin if I could get it. Having said that, I have never had a problem with Sky Fibre Pro (or with the regular Sky Broadband before Fibre became available) - goods speeds & stable service. Fortunately, I live close to the telephone cabinet, so get 75mb download & 19mb upload, which is more than sufficient for my household

To the OP, try putting your address into the Openreach wholesale checker to get an idea of what speeds to expect on broadband via a provider other than Virgin. The link is:

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have SkyQ & Sky Fibre Pro, my opinion on each:

SkyQ: It is good, but I prefer the EPG & remote control from SkyHD. Vimeo is a nice addition. For me, the main benefit of SkyQ is being able to have multi-room without having to run coax to each room

Sky Fibre Pro: I cannot get Virgin in my street, but would take broadband from Virgin if I could get it. Having said that, I have never had a problem with Sky Fibre Pro (or with the regular Sky Broadband before Fibre became available) - goods speeds & stable service. Fortunately, I live close to the telephone cabinet, so get 75mb download & 19mb upload, which is more than sufficient for my household

To the OP, try putting your address into the Openreach wholesale checker to get an idea of what speeds to expect on broadband via a provider other than Virgin. The link is:

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker
    Vimeo isn't on Sky Q at the moment.
  • Options
    Magic TorchMagic Torch Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vimeo isn't on Sky Q at the moment.

Doh! Sorry, I meant Vevo not Vimeo :D
  • Options
    BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Typical comment from a stuck in the dark ages Sky user.
    you can't rely on forums for an accurate opinion as forums are typically used by moaning gits (Mentioning no names KEITH) I've seen quite a few people have this and mostly people are accepting that it isn't Sky +HD and as it's been designed from the ground up it effectively a new product from a completely new provider. that's how different it is.
    The touch remote is awesome once you have spent a couple of day's getting used to it. Generally the outlook is impressed people looking forward to the new features being integrated in the future. No doubt UHD is tempting a lot of people as myself, no doubt more app's will become available for the side loading apps already in place
    4 recordings at once has been cried out for for a long time as many people do want to have all 9pm prime time shows recorded to their boxes.
    you have your opinions which come across as moaning most of the time but can you please accept that this product meets all the criteria for hundreds of thousands of people if not millions.

Also can you please explain how your Sky +HD box records 2 and let's you watch a 3rd. This is impossible by the way as there are only 2 tuners.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BOOTHY2905 wrote: »

Also can you please explain how your Sky +HD box records 2 and let's you watch a 3rd. This is impossible by the way as there are only 2 tuners.

It's not impossible, it's just crap design.

A single tuner can handle two channels from the same transponder, as a result if both recordings are from the same transponder then you have a spare tuner that can view any third channel. If two recordings are from different transponders any third channel sharing a transponder with either recording can be viewed.

Humax UK Freesat+ twin tuner boxes can all utilise the above. The new G2 Freetime boxes can also live pause the 3rd channel.

They can also record two and watch a third using only a single cable (with some restrictions. less than you think incidentally). The 2008 Foxsat-HDR can do all of the above except live pause the third viewed channel.

The German icord twin tuner boxes can record up to 4 subject to the above restrictions.

The newer ones with more tuners can do much more.

Basically all that is needed is to utilise the inherent ability to demux two channels from the same transponder and build enough intelligence into the software when you try and set impossible record/watch reservations.
  • Options
    rhodgreenrhodgreen Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    My mother in law's Sky Q box is causing her regular problems.
    Nothing to do with end experience with the EPG etc, but the silver box itself is frequently crashing, up to 4-5 times a week.
    I've not seen what actually happens myself, but she's not thick.
    Was going to get Sky Q myself this summer once my 12 months BT Sport runs out, she's advised me to hold off for now.
  • Options
    colin25colin25 Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    rhodgreen wrote: »
    My mother in law's Sky Q box is causing her regular problems.
    I've not seen what actually happens myself, but she's not thick.

I think being fat (thick) has nothing to do with it, happens to skinny too