Options

Should Autism been shown in one of the soaps?

Comments

• Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would it be entertaining ?
  • Options
    lollipop1995lollipop1995 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they could go down this route with Ollie in EE? I do think it should definitely shown and I reckon EastEnders is the best soap for depicting story led issues.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they could go down this route with Ollie in EE? I do think it should definitely shown and I reckon EastEnders is the best soap for depicting story led issues.

Could be.

Brain damage can cause autism.

I just hope Mick doesn't start handling Ollie like he is a foreign alien invader.. and embraces him if he has a disability.
  • Options
    shazzersereshazzersere Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did ask on the Hollyoaks Facebook page if they would do a storyline with someone on the Autistic spectrum, I would like to definately see it in one of the soaps as itssomething thats not been covered.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did ask on the Hollyoaks Facebook page if they would do a storyline with someone on the Autistic spectrum, I would like to definately see it in one of the soaps as itssomething thats not been covered.

I'm sure there are many things that haven't been covered, it doesn't mean they have to be. As someone else asked, would it be entertaining?
  • Options
    shazzersereshazzersere Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure there are many things that haven't been covered, it doesn't mean they have to be. As someone else asked, would it be entertaining?

Entertaining? nope, raise awareness of how difficult it can be sometimes yes!
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Entertaining? nope, raise awareness of how difficult it can be sometimes yes!

Some of us don't want our awareness raised on soaps. We watch them to be entertained, to "escape". I get my awareness raised elsewhere.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Just before Home and Away went downhill, there was an autistic character related in some way to Xavier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More and more people are getting diagnosed each year.. I think it's time one of the soaps pull the trigger and stop living in the Stone Age of disability meaning = wheelchair bound or very physically looking disabled (downs) or not having independence.. I.e capable of living on their own, having relationships etc

An authentic tv character with Aspergers (hidden disability) is needed on UK TV.. The American tv shows have had a few down the years =)
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who are we talking about?

Sheldon Cooper?
    The Indian guy on Community?
    Monk?
  • Options
    Happy_MummyHappy_Mummy Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My niece has autism and she's 12. She has the worst form. You wouldn't know it if you looked at her or talked to her. Only we can see it as we know what to deal with on a daily basis. She's the most beautiful and sweet girl. She never wants to be separated from her mum and lashes it, it's so heartbreaking as she doesn't know how to deal with her emotions and situations. It's so hard to diagnose, she has only been diagnosed in the last few months. It's not always something you can see easily. I think it would be hard to portray it in a soap. I guess you could with someone who has a very mild form of it. I have social anxiety disorder and believe I have other things but as a child in the 90's they didn't have all the diagnoses as they have today! I wish they could portray this as you never hear of it!
  • Options
    Zeus89Zeus89 Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think EE would do good at having a character with Aspergers, I don't think Corrie should be trusted as they dont know how to do sensetive storylines like this. Especially after the whole Izzy saga!!
  • Options
    IdlecatIdlecat Posts: 4,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My niece has autism and she's 12. She has the worst form. You wouldn't know it if you looked at her or talked to her. Only we can see it as we know what to deal with on a daily basis. She's the most beautiful and sweet girl. She never wants to be separated from her mum and lashes it, it's so heartbreaking as she doesn't know how to deal with her emotions and situations. It's so hard to diagnose, she has only been diagnosed in the last few months. It's not always something you can see easily. I think it would be hard to portray it in a soap. I guess you could with someone who has a very mild form of it. I have social anxiety disorder and believe I have other things but as a child in the 90's they didn't have all the diagnoses as they have today! I wish they could portray this as you never hear of it!

Before I retired I worked with many young people on the spectrum, many of them appeared and acted completely normally for most of the time.
    They sometimes would find themselves in these difficult situations outside home and school and not coping very well and you're so right, it doesn't show, it's all going on inside and the child is getting more and more agitated.
    A very good aid for these moments was a simple pocket sized laminated card - explaining the problem of autism/ aspergers and including a telephone number of parent , carer or teacher whom can be reached.
    I remember it started off " this young person has a condition called aspergers ----
    Then followed a short description of the condition and the contact details.
    The young people were encouraged to hand the card to an adult for help.
    Apparently this worked extremely well.
  • Options
    mrs.deschanelmrs.deschanel Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Idlecat wrote: »
    Before I retired I worked with many young people on the spectrum, many of them appeared and acted completely normally for most of the time.
    They sometimes would find themselves in these difficult situations outside home and school and not coping very well and you're so right, it doesn't show, it's all going on inside and the child is getting more and more agitated.
    A very good aid for these moments was a simple pocket sized laminated card - explaining the problem of autism/ aspergers and including a telephone number of parent , carer or teacher whom can be reached.
    I remember it started off " this young person has a condition called aspergers ----
    Then followed a short description of the condition and the contact details.
    The young people were encouraged to hand the card to an adult for help.
    Apparently this worked extremely well.

My son has a card from the Autism Society. It says he has an autistic spectrum condition and could act in an unusual way or be unable to speak. It has parents' contact details and is to be handed to ambulance crew or the Police or hospital if he is in a situation he can't handle. With him he's blatantly obvious both in his speech and his stimming but still he could mistaken for NT or HFA. Another one of mine has Aspergers but it's harder to tell that he's on the spectrum.

ASD is a broad spectrum and whatever is shown will annoy people. Having a severely autistic person would be difficult to play and having someone high functioning would just look quirky. It would always be something that didn't relate to other people's experience of ASD. Some kids can't be touched and some need contact. Some are sensory seekers and some avoiders. There's also the comorbids to think about like dyspraxia and SPD. I'm not sure a soap could do the right research and handle it without making it sensationalist. EE could go down that route with Ollie as brain damage can lead to ASD - I've seen it with a child after meningitis.

Roy Cropper is played as an Aspergers adult although it's never been specifically stated. His mum said he lined up trains as a child, he has his train obsession, he has strong morals and a rigid sense of right and wrong etc. which are all ASD traits. I can see it but I'd think lots of people just see him as quirky or weird. I'd prefer to see someone with autism in a soap who can function with support rather than the usual flapping, shouting, severe autism we had in H&A where the character lived in residential accommodation. We shouldn't scare parents of newly diagnosed kids but instead show them that it's not the end of the world and our children can do way more than we think when we hear those words from doctors. I was told my son would never speak, walk, tolerate touch etc. It's been far from easy but he's talking, walking and is academically strong and looking at Unis. Maybe if it's Ollie in EE Mick and Linda could have the grief we all have then start courses to learn how to help him rather than dumping him upstairs in the pub. With Kellie going on maternity leave it could be put on hold I suppose or she could take him away with her for whatever excuse is being cooked up.
  • Options
    SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    I have the diagnosis myself because I have problems dealing with people face to face, and have OCD and dyspraxia as well. Roy Cropper is my favourite Coronation Street character of all time because I see a lot of myself in him. He knows he is different and doesn't fit in with society's norms. He's obsessive, but his condition doesn't disable him enough to stop him forming relationships or holding down a job, like it does with me.
  • Options
    David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeus89 wrote: »
    As the title says, should it be tackled in one of the main soaps in a sensetive manner of course. And people lets not bring Roy Cropper or Tammwar into this, its never been confirmed.
    I think if done correct it could be a good stoyline and become one of those legacy stoylines.

P.S No offence intended to anyone

It has been confirmed, just not within the show itself. But that's realistic as there would be no point in Roy getting diagnosed at his age. And since he's one of Corrie's best characters and has been for 20 years can we do away with this 'can't trust Corrie to get it right' nonsense? I'd far prefer David Neilson's subtle portrayal of someone with Asperger's to EastEnders hitting you over the head with it.
  • Options
    James_LanganJames_Langan Posts: 2,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't always have to be a speaking part. Why don't some of these soaps have people with a visible disability as non speaking extras and be seen as part of day to day life. In coronation street you could see someone in one of the stores or hairdressers chair. In the factory there are people in the background who never say a word. The possibilities are there to be explored. The producers of the soaps have an obligation to be inclusive. Let's get a little more creative. Let's start thinking in the long term, just like any job you work yourself up the ladder to some success.
  • Options
    mrs.deschanelmrs.deschanel Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has been confirmed, just not within the show itself. But that's realistic as there would be no point in Roy getting diagnosed at his age. And since he's one of Corrie's best characters and has been for 20 years can we do away with this 'can't trust Corrie to get it right' nonsense? I'd far prefer David Neilson's subtle portrayal of someone with Asperger's to EastEnders hitting you over the head with it.

David Neilson has said he's playing Roy with Aspergers or mild autism. You're absolutely right that there is no point in him being diagnosed on the show as he's already established as having ASD style quirks. Corrie has got it right with Roy - or the actor himself has it right. We've not been hit in the face with it but it's been heavily implied especially by Sylvia when talking about him as a child. Maybe it's been to subtle for most people but autism mums spotted it a mile off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone reckon they might be going down this road with Lee in EE? Fitley getting pregnant and realising their child might have Aspergers/autism?

Having someone with a disability having a job would be a good start, I mean disabled people can work too you know !

I really want to see a strong, independent person in one of the soaps with AS. It would help so many people. But they need to do it right..
  • Options
    Doctor BenchDoctor Bench Posts: 4,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Anyone reckon they might be going down this road with Lee in EE? Fitley getting pregnant and realising their child might have Aspergers/autism?

Having someone with a disability having a job would be a good start, I mean disabled people can work too you know !

I really want to see a strong, independent person in one of the soaps with AS. It would help so many people. But they need to do it right..
    You do realise that autism isn't something that shows on baby scans? It's not that deep. It's clinically determined and shows up in infancy or childhood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do realise that autism isn't something that shows on baby scans? It's not that deep.

I know, but some experts say there is a 50% chance that a child will get AS/autism if one of the parents do, so obviously it would be a worry until the little one is old enough to get properly diagnosed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-Uqm74g2ew
  • Options
    Doctor BenchDoctor Bench Posts: 4,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    I know, but some experts say there is a 50% chance that a child will get AS/autism if one of the parents do, so obviously it would be a worry until the little one is old enough to get properly diagnosed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-Uqm74g2ew

Neither Lee not Whitney have Asperger's Syndrome. What you talking about?
  • Options
    Zeus89Zeus89 Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the idea of Fitnney and Lee having a baby with Autism. Mainly because of Lee's bad acting, maybe they could go down this root with baby Arthur or even baby Ollie.
  • Options
    Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the ignorance in this thread is baffling.

In response to the OP, ASD is definitely underrepresented in Soaps and TV in general. I do a lot of amateur theatre and I've seen that people lower on the spectrum can act well, it'd be great if a soap casted an autistic actor for a role. Especially since a lot of neurotypical actors do a horrible, stereotyped job when playing autistic characters.
  • Options
    EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MR_Pitkin wrote: »
    No, mental illness is not in the slightest bit entertaining.

Autism is not a mental illness