Options

European Migrant Situation

NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
Forum Member
It's a real shame that the previous thread had to be closed at the end of May.

I really enjoyed the updates and reports from posters in some of the other european countries affected. In fact I miss it so much I just wanted give a shout out to some of those posters who made it such an extraordinarily enlightening thread to visit. Thank you. I hope some of those posters still check here every now and then and see this.

Bar_Mag, the lady in Northern France near the Calais tunnels who kept us informed with her observations over there. Electra, who so diligently and efficiently updated us all those reports and the two posters in Sweden who's names I'm afraid I cannot recall.

It was a legend while it lasted but I understand why the mods had to close it.

A tribute to all who participated.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    Just a quick bump in case any day time viewers checking in quickly to see the latest unread posts on page 1 don't miss this now that it has slipped down to page three.
  • Options
    dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was one of the first posts I looked for very informative it was a shame one poster couldn't stop disrupting it
  • Options
    weirlandia4evaweirlandia4eva Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, it was an informative thread and one of the few places you could actually read about the ongoing situation. The MSM has gone silent over the issue but it is still very much ongoing.
    As expected Italy is now seeing an increase in migrant flow
    he deal sealed between Turkey and the EU has helped Greece, however, it has not phased the inflow of migrants that Italy has seen as hundreds of migrants continue to cross the Mediterranean from Libya every day, according to Fabrice Leggeri, head of Frontex, the agency in charge of protecting the EU’s external borders.

“For the first six months of 2016, there were 360,000 illegal entries in the EU, which is higher than what we saw last year, but the influx has been diminishing since April,” Leggeri told France’s Europe 1 Radio.

Leggeri added that the new frontline of Italy sees an average of 750 arrivals each day where Greece is only seeing an average of around 50 people a day

more children die attempting to reach Greece

• Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    Anyone see in the press today the migrants are establishing a camp at lake como on the Italian side.switzerland is closing its borders to them.
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    It was one of the first posts I looked for very informative it was a shame one poster couldn't stop disrupting it
    Where's the finger tapping the side of a nose smiley when you need it........ :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    Anyone see in the press today the migrants are establishing a camp at lake como on the Italian side.switzerland is closing its borders to them.

Yes I was reading about that. It looks like Austria are about to close their border to that area of Italy too. Apparently it's a very celubrious and exotic site for the rich and famous. A lot of celebrities have holiday homes there.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Indeed it was essential reading.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree, it was an informative thread and one of the few places you could actually read about the ongoing situation. The MSM has gone silent over the issue but it is still very much ongoing.
    As expected Italy is now seeing an increase in migrant flow

more children die attempting to reach Greece

weirlandia4eva - good to see your name again! Thanks for the links there.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    Nosedive wrote: »
    Yes I was reading about that. It looks like Austria are about to close their border to that area of Italy too. Apparently it's a very celubrious and exotic site for the rich and famous. A lot of celebrities have holiday homes there.

Maybe some of these celebs might offer them beds in their large luxury villas....as they always seem to be wanting the migrants to come to the uk and other countries. :)
    It would be a nice deed.
  • Options
    NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    http://data.unhcr.org/mediterranean/regional.php

Sea crossings from Greece to Italy in particular. Some of the migrants will have risked drowning twice now.
  • Options
    plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    It's a real shame that the previous thread had to be closed at the end of May.

I really enjoyed the updates and reports from posters in some of the other european countries affected. In fact I miss it so much I just wanted give a shout out to some of those posters who made it such an extraordinarily enlightening thread to visit. Thank you. I hope some of those posters still check here every now and then and see this.

Bar_Mag, the lady in Northern France near the Calais tunnels who kept us informed with her observations over there. Electra, who so diligently and efficiently updated us all those reports and the two posters in Sweden who's names I'm afraid I cannot recall.

It was a legend while it lasted but I understand why the mods had to close it.

A tribute to all who participated.

I do miss this thread, as whilst at times confrontational it brought a wealth of information and sets of thinking from posters in other parts of Europe. Most threads on DS fail to be of interest and short lived.
  • Options
    plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member

I guess if you are going to hang out somewhere why not in a place with great natural beauty and lots of space. The Lake Como area draws the rich and the famous, but there is no intrinsic? reason why you cannot pitch tent there amongst them. It’s got to be better and healthier than some Calais like overcrowded camp.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3687393/Migrant-camp-George-Clooney-s-Italian-hideaway-Lake-Como-home-hundreds-people-nearby-border-crossing-Switzerland-closed.html?ITO=1490

We really don't hear much in our media, as to just how this renewed up scaled migrant passage is affecting the lives of the ordinary Italian people.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    weirlandia4eva - good to see your name again! Thanks for the links there.

Hi Nosedive. This is an informative site, the main one I used for news links for migrant threads. There's a separate section on the Calais situation.

The misery and death grinds on I'm afraid.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Hot+Topics/Migrant+Crisis
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe some of these celebs might offer them beds in their large luxury villas....as they always seem to be wanting the migrants to come to the uk and other countries. :)
    It would be a nice deed.

Yes, the luvvies are so supportive of migrants I would have thought they would have been queuing up to open their villas to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Welcome back everyone! Nodger, Anne_666, Academia, it's good to see you!

Plankwalker, jacobjoe and any other posters I may have omitted, forgive me. I don't mean you any less credit, I'm sure your work on here has been just as stirling, I was so pleased to see some of the names I recognised immediatly I just jumped them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Hi Nosedive. This is an informative site, the main one I used for news links for migrant threads. There's a separate section on the Calais situation.

The misery and death grinds on I'm afraid.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Hot+Topics/Migrant+Crisis

Anne, thank you. I think it is to your credit originally that I have this site bookmarked and in use already! THanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welcome back everyone! Nodger, Anne_666, Academia, it's good to see you!

Plankwalker, jacobjoe and any other posters I may have omitted, forgive me. I don't mean you any less credit, I'm sure your work on here has been just as stirling, I was so pleased to see some of the names I recognised immediatly I just jumped them!

:cool: nice to see us gathering again!
  • Options
    weirlandia4evaweirlandia4eva Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess if you are going to hang out somewhere why not in a place with great natural beauty and lots of space. The Lake Como area draws the rich and the famous, but there is no intrinsic? reason why you cannot pitch tent there amongst them. It’s got to be better and healthier than some Calais like overcrowded camp.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3687393/Migrant-camp-George-Clooney-s-Italian-hideaway-Lake-Como-home-hundreds-people-nearby-border-crossing-Switzerland-closed.html?ITO=1490

We really don't hear much in our media, as to just how this renewed up scaled migrant passage is affecting the lives of the ordinary Italian people.

I holidayed a few years back in Riva, at the north end of Lake Garda, and went on a day trip across the mountain/hills to Lake Ledro. Absolutely beautiful there, I would happily retire there if I could afford to.
    The irony is that the migrants would rather be in the Calais camp than by Lake Como as it is nearer to there intended final destination.

And on the subject of the JUngle. The mayor of Calais is planning to dismantle the rest of the illegal camp.
    http://www.thelocal.fr/20160712/jungle-migrant-camp-in-calais-set-to-be-completely-cleared

ps there is a commentator on there called Torquemada. Hmm heard that name a few times
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I holidayed a few years back in Riva, at the north end of Lake Garda, and went on a day trip across the mountain/hills to Lake Ledro. Absolutely beautiful there, I would happily retire there if I could afford to.
    The irony is that the migrants would rather be in the Calais camp than by Lake Como as it is nearer to there intended final destination.

And on the subject of the JUngle. The mayor of Calais is planning to dismantle the rest of the illegal camp.
    http://www.thelocal.fr/20160712/jungle-migrant-camp-in-calais-set-to-be-completely-cleared

ps there is a commentator on there called Torquemada. Hmm heard that name a few times

Lol, thanks for that. I'd say the best thing about that link is the arguement going back and forwards in the comments section about whether it is France's or Britain's problem!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anne, thank you. I think it is to your credit originally that I have this site bookmarked and in use already! THanks.
    You're welcome. It's a pretty thorough site.
    Lol, thanks for that. I'd say the best thing about that link is the arguement going back and forwards in the comments section about whether it is France's or Britain's problem!

Their own illegal immigrant problem only becomes the UK's when they're allowed to stay here. Never fear the EU have come up with another ingenious masterplan to address the cause of it all, their own failure. Still flogging the quota and threats dead horse.
    http://news.trust.org/item/20160713132537-0v12c/?source=fiOtherNews2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    You're welcome. It's a pretty thorough site.

Their own illegal immigrant problem only becomes the UK's when they're allowed to stay here. Never fear the EU have come up with another ingenious masterplan to address the cause of it all, their own failure. Still flogging the quota and threats dead horse.
    http://news.trust.org/item/20160713132537-0v12c/?source=fiOtherNews2

Jesus wept. The last line of that article:

"We can only talk about real burden-sharing when the quality of life is the same in all EU states," said Bernard Priecel, head of Slovakia's migration service. "Otherwise we will always have secondary movements. How can you force them to stay?"

Says it all really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesus wept. The last line of that article:

"We can only talk about real burden-sharing when the quality of life is the same in all EU states," said Bernard Priecel, head of Slovakia's migration service. "Otherwise we will always have secondary movements. How can you force them to stay?"

Says it all really.

Doesn't it. The helpless and hopeless United States of Europe. Any more non-EU countries fancy doing their job for them? For the right price of course. I wonder if exploited Macedonia, at least, will get their EU membership reward now one of their optionless hefty benefactors is escaping.
  • Options
    BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    26 boats with thousands of African migrants on rescued off Libya, and I am presuming bought to Italy even though they were rescued in Libyan seas. Ridiculous.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3699291/Thousands-migrants-overcrowded-boats-heading-Italy.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BlizzardUK wrote: »
    26 boats with thousands of African migrants on rescued off Libya, and I am presuming bought to Italy even though they were rescued in Libyan seas. Ridiculous.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3699291/Thousands-migrants-overcrowded-boats-heading-Italy.html

Doesn't 26 boats constitute a fleet? Doesn't a fleet constute an invasion?
  • Options
    MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    Doesn't 26 boats constitute a fleet? Doesn't a fleet constute an invasion?

It is an invasion. I don't know how it could be termed any other way.
This discussion has been closed.