Options

Boxing

Comments

• Options
    MatBonoMatBono Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Frank Warren offered Brook £600,000. That wasn't anywhere close to being enough.

As for Khan, well Brook now just got a fight which will be a huge payday so worked out well for him without Amir Khan.

But now Khan vs Brook can happen. Khan always said Brook needs to fight a big name before he gives him a fight. Well they dont come much bigger than GGG
  • Options
    stu64stu64 Posts: 5,273
    Forum Member
    Kell brook is the most avoided man at 147lbs. Nobody wants to fight him. Vargas was offered $2 mil and didn't sign. Garcia turned down big money, Khan didn't want it.

I'm shocked his moving up to 160lbs but will be well paid and rightly so.

Eubank Jnr is getting his career wrecked by his dad. Listening to Hearn, Eubank Snr seems a nightmare to work with.

They were supposed of demanded the ability set ticket prices and wanted to triple the price which Joshua tickets cost, control the operations of the show, and demanded a bigger slice of the PPV revenue which would be more than what Joshua gets.

This is ludicrous and no way could Matchroom accept those terms.

For some reason Eubank Snr seems to think his son is a world star already despite actually not beating anyone of real note yet and losing his only one big fight.

He could be a very good boxer in the coming years but I fear he will come to nothing due to his dad messing everything up for him. I think after this deal with GGG/Brook that Eubank Snr will now move promoters yet again.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crofter wrote: »
    On paper Kell Brook looks like the latest British fighter to make a crazy decision and fight the best of the best at a big disadvantage ... no doubt he will earn a few bob but he could have been matched far better than this.

This is an odd one for me & I'm really wavering.

On the one hand, I give Brook huge props for going up two actual weight divisions to face the best & most brutal MW of his era, but on the other hand, it smacks of Brook trying to get oneupmanship on Khan by going up to fight a real MW for his title; especially odd when he is a trinket holder in one of the hottest divisions in boxing with a lot of unfinished business to boot.

Ultimately, I should give the man respect for taking on GGG, because there are a few fighters who lack the balls to fight Golovkin & the're bigger men than Brook.

If he loses, then he still has the option of dropping back down to 147, although I don't know how it would affect his confidence.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night I had this really, really mental dream. Kell Brook had agreed to step up two weights and fight Golovkin in London in a couple of months time. I must have had some strong cheese or something, imagine that :eek:
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On the one hand, I give Brook huge props for going up two actual weight divisions to face the best & most brutal MW of his era, but on the other hand, it smacks of Brook trying to get oneupmanship on Khan by going up to fight a real MW for his title; especially odd when he is a trinket holder in one of the hottest divisions in boxing with a lot of unfinished business to boot.

Ultimately, I should give the man respect for taking on GGG, because there are a few fighters who lack the balls to fight Golovkin & the're bigger men than Brook.

If he loses, then he still has the option of dropping back down to 147, although I don't know how it would affect his confidence.

I do find it to be a rather odd and unexpected matchup.

Of course Kell deserves huge praise for his bravery at getting into the the ring with the destruction machine but what if he receives a really sustained and brutal beating?

He might never be the same again.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know what channel is showing Frampton V Santa Cruz?
  • Options
    Casper GomezCasper Gomez Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not quite the mismatch most would think. Brook is a huge welterweight and comes in the ring on fight night 4 lbs under the middleweight limit for against welterweights. Brook will get battered though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Mcguigan has a deal with channel 5 and Pbc have shown some of their fights on spike, so I'm guessing either of the 2
  • Options
    D to the DD to the D Posts: 81
    Forum Member

That is what I first thought when I first heard the announcement, personally I think he has got a harder fight than Khan had. I hope Brook wins but I don't hold any great expectations because Golovkin is a beast, a pure fighting machine. I watched one of The Terminator movies last night, that is Golovkin he is programmed to destroy whoever is put in front of him. Like I said I hope Brook wins & wish him all the best, but my god! what a task he has got.
  • Options
    percygumtreepercygumtree Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    ive always thought Khan would beat Brook relatively easy so never understood why brook was constantly calling him out. Smacks to me of Bellew calling out Haye just for the sake of it. However at least its two world title holders in brook and golovkin fighting and hopefully will be a decent fight. Cant help but think golovkin within 4 rounds though.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ive always thought Khan would beat Brook relatively easy so never understood why brook was constantly calling him out. Smacks to me of Bellew calling out Haye just for the sake of it. However at least its two world title holders in brook and golovkin fighting and hopefully will be a decent fight. Cant help but think golovkin within 4 rounds though.

How are the same? Bellew is not a HW.

Brook is a WW as is Amir Khan. It made sense that Brook would call him out.

Khan would get KO'ed by brook. Easy work.
    But now Khan vs Brook can happen. Khan always said Brook needs to fight a big name before he gives him a fight. Well they dont come much bigger than GGG

That was just one of the many excuses Khan used. Prior to that he said Brook needs to become a world champion. Khan said Brooks needs to be Porter.

Amir Khan just keeps moving the goalposts as he doesn't want the fight.
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    I know Mcguigan has a deal with channel 5 and Pbc have shown some of their fights on spike, so I'm guessing either of the 2

Doesn't include frampton fights.

Still not confirmed which channel yet
  • Options
    percygumtreepercygumtree Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    How are the same? Bellew is not a HW.

Brook is a WW as is Amir Khan. It made sense that Brook would call him out.

I meant in so far as someone below them calling them out to try and look better. And in my opinion Khan would beat Brook. Dont really care if its not your opinion, we are all entitled to them.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would love to see khan v brook. It's a shame khan got caught against canelo because up until then he won every round. Be interesting to see how well brook does against GGG. what about GGG v canelo, surely that would be a awesome fight.
  • Options
    Nova21Nova21 Posts: 14,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Would love to see khan v brook. It's a shame khan got caught against canelo because up until then he won every round. Be interesting to see how well brook does against GGG. what about GGG v canelo, surely that would be a awesome fight.

It's the obvious one that both seem to be avoiding...
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kell brook says he'll be as big as GGG but the problem is GGG is gonna be punching a lot harder than the fighters kel has fought at WW.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nova21 wrote: »
    It's the obvious one that both seem to be avoiding...

Correction.

That Canelo is avoiding and with bloody good reason - if he even made it past halfway with the smiling destroyer I would be very surprised indeed.

As for Kell I wish him the best of luck - because he is going to bloody need it.
  • Options
    Robbie RazzlerRobbie Razzler Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Anyone know what channel is showing Frampton V Santa Cruz?

A couple of weeks to go and still no mention of who is showing the fight. It mustn't not be on sky box office as it would have been promoted now, good chance it will be on itv again?
  • Options
    NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no chance this fight will be on terrestrial tv I can assure you. When Carl was boxing on ITV a year or two ago local television was playing up the fight for a month beforehand showing trailers and promoting it but there's been nothing and this is a mega-fight unlike the fights which were on terrestrial. This will be SBO for sure.
  • Options
    Robbie RazzlerRobbie Razzler Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    NRG wrote: »
    There is no chance this fight will be on terrestrial tv I can assure you. When Carl was boxing on ITV a year or two ago local television was playing up the fight for a month beforehand showing trailers and promoting it but there's been nothing and this is a mega-fight unlike the fights which were on terrestrial. This will be SBO for sure.

But outside of Northern Ireland is sky going to be able to sell the fight across the UK fighting someone in America. The Quigg fight had loads of interest because it was 2 British fighters and was on prime time here.
    The frampton fight will be on around 3am over here and I honestly don't see many across the water paying £17 for it. Would sky not have started their box office promotion by now if it was on PPV?
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the Leonard V Hagler legacy will continue next April, 30 years after the two ATGs fought each other!

http://www.boxingscene.com/photos-marvin-hagler-jr-sugar-ray-leonard-jr-go-face-face--106531

What a joke!

I can't believe Messrs Leonard & Hagler would be happy to see their legacies tarnished with this farce.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good fight on tonight between Williams and Cocoran.
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not wavering at all. It's a smart move by Brook and more calculated than Khan's. According to Steve Bunce, Brook walks around at 180lbs and has been struggling to make 147 for some time. Sure, he hasn't been hit by a MW and we don't know if he will carry his own power up to that weight, but it's got to make a big difference if he will finally be fighting at a weight he's comfortable at.
    Looks like the Leonard V Hagler legacy will continue next April, 30 years after the two ATGs fought each other!

http://www.boxingscene.com/photos-marvin-hagler-jr-sugar-ray-leonard-jr-go-face-face--106531

What a joke!

I can't believe Messrs Leonard & Hagler would be happy to see their legacies tarnished with this farce.

Fitting that the press was at a steakhouse, Hagler jr looks like he's a regular visitor. Baby Sugar ray looks in marginally better shape but only in a "my doctor said my cholestorol's much better" type of way....
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not wavering at all. It's a smart move by Brook and more calculated than Khan's. According to Steve Bunce, Brook walks around at 180lbs and has been struggling to make 147 for some time. Sure, he hasn't been hit by a MW and we don't know if he will carry his own power up to that weight, but it's got to make a big difference if he will finally be fighting at a weight he's comfortable at.

Brook walks around at 180lbs because he's more interested in eating, drinking and other extra-curricular activites when he's not fighting, which is quite often.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a joke!

What are you talking about?

The would both beat their tomato can fathers out of the ring (even in their primes).

Belly flops can be deadly! :D