Options

Bryan Adams V Drake

Breaking_NewsBreaking_News Posts: 2,019
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Bryan Adams spent 16 weeks at number 1 in the UK and sold 1,750,000 singles in 1991.

Drake has been at number 1 for 15 weeks- but how many singles has he actually sold?

Bryan adams single was a big power ballad from a blockbuster movie with wide reachiing appeal to people of all ages at at time when the charts meant something .

I have a copy of Bryan Adams single - it is remembered 25 years after it was released and still gets played on TV and the radio today. I somehow think that Drake song will be forgotten in 12 months.

I asked around the office the other day and most people said they havent heard the song- and some people didnt even know who Drake was!

Comments

• Options
    MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is an absolute travesty, if this dirge stays there another week I'll leave the country!
  • Options
    CosyaCosya Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't compare. Getting at least five weeks at number one was a big achievement let alone 16. Drakes chart run.means nothing compared to the longer chart runs we used to have. Streaming has just knocked the chart making them totally incomparable
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,636
    Forum Member
    MR_Pitkin wrote: »
    This is an absolute travesty, if this dirge stays there another week I'll leave the country!

I hope you've got your passport ready. :p That said, One Dance is still #1 in other countries so you might want to choose wisely which country you move to!!!

For a Drake free zone, I'd suggest Finland as One Dance isn't even top 30 on their singles chart (which is predominantly a Spotify chart) compared to pretty much every other country in the world.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Drake did remain #1 for 16 weeks but also wouldn't rule out Drake returning to #1 in a few weeks time to extend his number of weeks as the UK #1 single.
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Remember the late 90s early 00s when there was a number one every month
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Remember the late 90s early 00s when there was a number one every month

LOL :D

Worse still, remember 2014 when there was a new number one every week for something like 7 months!!! :cry:

One Dance is a massive two fingers to all those #1 singles from 2014 that only got there thanks to record company manipulation and pre-orders getting out of control.
  • Options
    jon craigjon craig Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cosya wrote: »
    You can't compare. Getting at least five weeks at number one was a big achievement let alone 16. Drakes chart run.means nothing compared to the longer chart runs we used to have. Streaming has just knocked the chart making them totally incomparable

The faux outrage on this site (both on this and the other thread) is hilarious. Times have changed, things have moved on, the public consume music in different ways these days. Many chose to stream rather than buy and they are perfectly entitled to do so - as a result it is entirely legitimate that the chart reflects this. Yes, there may be a debate to be had over whether the current weighting of streaming vs download is a fair one, but streaming has to be recognised as a mainstream form of music consumption.

Whether you think One Dance is a great record or a poor one is irrelevant - it remains #1 and deservedly so (in terms of how the official Top 40 is arrived at) - no one is making this stuff up. It's not 1991 anymore. Move on!
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Including streaming Drake's "sales" figures for One Dance are at around 1.4m in the UK.
  • Options
    MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jon craig wrote: »
    The faux outrage on this site (both on this and the other thread) is hilarious. Times have changed, things have moved on, the public consume music in different ways these days. Many chose to stream rather than buy and they are perfectly entitled to do so - as a result it is entirely legitimate that the chart reflects this. Yes, there may be a debate to be had over whether the current weighting of streaming vs download is a fair one, but streaming has to be recognised as a mainstream form of music consumption.

Whether you think One Dance is a great record or a poor one is irrelevant - it remains #1 and deservedly so (in terms of how the official Top 40 is arrived at) - no one is making this stuff up. It's not 1991 anymore. Move on!

There's nothing fake about my outrage!
    This cannot and must not be allowed to equal Bryans record.
  • Options
    joettbjoettb Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only song that can possibly topple 'One Dance', is probably 'Cold Water' by Major Lazer feat Justin Bieber and MO! It's no1 on iTunes (but obvs that doesn't count for much)… so we'll see how it does on spotify. Don't think i'd bet against Drake equaling the record thought.
  • Options
    Special AppearanceSpecial Appearance Posts: 8,014
    Forum Member
    Do it Drake! Best song so far this year.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MR_Pitkin wrote: »
    There's nothing fake about my outrage!
    This cannot and must not be allowed to equal Bryans record.

Well it cant even if it does. Its a different game with different rules and goalposts moved to a different pitch. If anything practical comes out this it will a redefining of chart stats for the very definite sea change that streaming has ushered in-and One Dance will be the longest number one of the streaming era. Nothing more.

Separately I have absolutely no idea what is driving the success of One Dance, what on earth is memorable about it?
  • Options
    joettbjoettb Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Well it cant even if it does. Its a different game with different rules and goalposts moved to a different pitch. If anything practical comes out this it will a redefining of chart stats for the very definite sea change that streaming has ushered in-and One Dance will be the longest number one of the streaming era. Nothing more.

Totally agree. Will be interesting to see if any act can get close to Drake's record in the next few years. Any opinion on the better achievement… Drake's 14 weeks at the top (and counting) or Justin Bieber's 1,2 & 3?
  • Options
    kriZbiikriZbii Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jon craig wrote: »

People always used to listen to music on the radio (they still do), but the official chart didn't include airplay as playlists could be manipulated by record companies and it wasn't a realistic measure. The same thing goes for streaming playlists, many people might get Drake on their playlist, immediately click onto the next thing rather than listening to the full song, but it still counts as a play.

The data may be genuine, but there's no way of knowing if people are actually choosing to listen to Drake or the same three Justin Bieber songs for months last year or if it just automatically plays for them in the playlists they're listening to.

If streaming counts, things like YouTube views should count as a legitimate measure of music consumption, so the Official Chart Company are actually making it up. It's sales, combined with certain online-based streaming figures, divided by an arbitrary number that somebody decided to value each stream at. If they decide to alter that figure to make streams worth less against sales, that's even more contrived than it is now.

The current chart is deeply flawed and doesn't really reflect what people are listening to at all, to get an exact chart you need all streaming sites included, including all the video sites, you need to include radio listeners, and also measure how many times people are listening to the track they bought. Maybe it's less than a hundred, maybe it's more, but it'll be spread over more than just the one week a purchase counts for in the current system.

It isn't 1991, back then the Radio 1 chart was a legitimate chart based on face that people paid attention to, while the Network Chart was made up nonsense with airplay swaying the figures. Now the Radio 1 chart is a minor show tucked away on Friday with a number one that dropped out of the top 10 of the commercial radio chart at one point (although the iTunes/airplay mix of the BigTop40 is far from perfect either).

Anyway, congratulations to Drake on getting back up to number 8 this week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kriZbii wrote: »
    People always used to listen to music on the radio (they still do), but the official chart didn't include airplay as playlists could be manipulated by record companies and it wasn't a realistic measure. The same thing goes for streaming playlists, many people might get Drake on their playlist, immediately click onto the next thing rather than listening to the full song, but it still counts as a play.

The data may be genuine, but there's no way of knowing if people are actually choosing to listen to Drake or the same three Justin Bieber songs for months last year or if it just automatically plays for them in the playlists they're listening to.

If streaming counts, things like YouTube views should count as a legitimate measure of music consumption, so the Official Chart Company are actually making it up. It's sales, combined with certain online-based streaming figures, divided by an arbitrary number that somebody decided to value each stream at. If they decide to alter that figure to make streams worth less against sales, that's even more contrived than it is now.

The current chart is deeply flawed and doesn't really reflect what people are listening to at all, to get an exact chart you need all streaming sites included, including all the video sites, you need to include radio listeners, and also measure how many times people are listening to the track they bought. Maybe it's less than a hundred, maybe it's more, but it'll be spread over more than just the one week a purchase counts for in the current system.

It isn't 1991, back then the Radio 1 chart was a legitimate chart based on face that people paid attention to, while the Network Chart was made up nonsense with airplay swaying the figures. Now the Radio 1 chart is a minor show tucked away on Friday with a number one that dropped out of the top 10 of the commercial radio chart at one point (although the iTunes/airplay mix of the BigTop40 is far from perfect either).

Anyway, congratulations to Drake on getting back up to number 8 this week.

Excellent post. Very well put.
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Don't forget this:

In 1994, Wet Wet Wet had their biggest hit, a cover version of The Troggs' single "Love Is All Around", which was used on the soundtrack to the film Four Weddings and a Funeral. It was a huge international success and spent 15 weeks atop the British charts. The week before it could have equalled the record for the longest-standing number-one single, held by Bryan Adams' "(Everything I Do) I Do It for You", Pellow insisted on its deletion because he wanted to focus on getting their next album, Picture This, finished. However, even after its deletion, there were still enough copies in the shops to get the song to number 2 in its 16th week, finally knocked off the top spot by Whigfield's debut single "Saturday Night". In any event, it remained in the Top 40 for the remainder of the year.

As of February 2016, it has sold 1.88 million copies in the United Kingdom, making it the country's best-selling love ballad of all time.

I bet we won't be sharing the same info about Drake in 22 years time!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Safi74 wrote: »
    Don't forget this:

In 1994, Wet Wet Wet had their biggest hit, a cover version of The Troggs' single "Love Is All Around", which was used on the soundtrack to the film Four Weddings and a Funeral. It was a huge international success and spent 15 weeks atop the British charts. The week before it could have equalled the record for the longest-standing number-one single, held by Bryan Adams' "(Everything I Do) I Do It for You", Pellow insisted on its deletion because he wanted to focus on getting their next album, Picture This, finished. However, even after its deletion, there were still enough copies in the shops to get the song to number 2 in its 16th week, finally knocked off the top spot by Whigfield's debut single "Saturday Night". In any event, it remained in the Top 40 for the remainder of the year.

As of February 2016, it has sold 1.88 million copies in the United Kingdom, making it the country's best-selling love ballad of all time.

I bet we won't be sharing the same info about Drake in 22 years time!

Indeed, times have definitely changed.

I was 13 in 1994 and everyone saw the charts as the biggest indicator of what was popular. People made the effort to buy a physical copy of their favourite song. Spending 15 or even 16 weeks at #1 in the 90s will be a far bigger achievement than in 2016 because with Spotify you only need to listen to 30 seconds of a track, and I still think there must be hundreds of thousands of Spotify users who just select a playlist and hit play and not even care about half the songs playing. They just want some background music, and if One Dance is benefitting from being "background music" then that's going to be reflected in the charts.

In the 90s I followed the charts with genuine excitement. The whole concept of hearing a song and loving it, going to Woolworths or Our Price to buy the CD single and then listen to the top 40 the following Sunday afternoon on Radio 1 to see where it had entered - and even then to see how the song progressed the following weeks.

I doubt many teenagers today have that same level of interest. There isn't anything these days to draw in the teenagers and get them excited about the charts. They don't have a Top Of The Pops, The Chart Show, CD:UK or any Saturday morning kids TV show where they can watch their favourite artists performing their latest single. It really is a totally different era of the UK charts and it is very much evident in the charts we have today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    Indeed, times have definitely changed.

I was 13 in 1994 and everyone saw the charts as the biggest indicator of what was popular. People made the effort to buy a physical copy of their favourite song. Spending 15 or even 16 weeks at #1 in the 90s will be a far bigger achievement than in 2016 because with Spotify you only need to listen to 30 seconds of a track, and I still think there must be hundreds of thousands of Spotify users who just select a playlist and hit play and not even care about half the songs playing. They just want some background music, and if One Dance is benefitting from being "background music" then that's the way people consume music today.

In the 90s I followed the charts with genuine excitement. The whole concept of hearing a song and loving it, going to Woolworths or Our Price to buy the CD single and then listen to the top 40 the following Sunday afternoon on Radio 1 to see where it had entered - and even then to see how the song progressed the following weeks.

I doubt many teenagers today have that same level of interest. There isn't anything these days to draw in the teenagers and get them excited about the charts. They don't have a Top Of The Pops, The Chart Show, CD:UK or any Saturday morning kids TV show where they can watch their favourite artists performing their latest single. It really is a totally different era of the UK charts and it is very much evident in the charts we have today.

You can trace that feeling all the way back to the sixties. I think that's why the state of the current charts mean so much to those of us who took an interest not just in the music but in the stats as well.
    I don't think the singles chart is on many peoples radar these days-it was a considerable cross generational event across the nation back in the day.
  • Options
    Breaking_NewsBreaking_News Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top 10 Most Weeks At Number One

wks
    18 – "I Believe" by Frankie Laine*
    16 – "(Everything I Do) I Do It for You" by Bryan Adams
    15 – "Love Is All Around" by Wet Wet Wet
    15 – "One Dance" by Drake featuring Wizkid and Kyla
    14 – "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen*
    11 – "Rose Marie" by Slim Whitman
    10 – "Cara Mia" by David Whitfield
    10 – "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston
    10 – "Umbrella" by Rihanna featuring Jay Z
    * - non consecutive
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'I believe' and 'Bohemian Rhapsody' are non-consecutive.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one who cares about any kind of musical quality gives a sh*t nowadays about the singes charts. Streaming massively diluted the quality, and most acts like Drake are ephemeral. Decent performers like Bryan Adams who's more of an 'albums' artist, who appeals to a wider age group and is still very active on the live scene, tend to survive. Of course he's known for other great songs. not just the one - eg Summer of 69 (an earlier hit) is arguably now even more popular than Everything I Do.
  • Options
    Jeannie_WilsonJeannie_Wilson Posts: 1,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    No one who cares about any kind of musical quality gives a sh*t nowadays about the singes charts. Streaming massively diluted the quality, and most acts like Drake are ephemeral. Decent performers like Bryan Adams who's more of an 'albums' artist, who appeals to a wider age group and is still very active on the live scene, tend to survive. Of course he's known for other great songs. not just the one - eg Summer of 69 (an earlier hit) is arguably now even more popular than Everything I Do.

I love Bryan Adams. I think Run To You is one of my alltime favorite songs of his. He's brilliant.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised there has been no backlash with a the facebook campaign to get Bryan Adams to number 1 again, i know id download it
  • Options
    dragon_mutant1dragon_mutant1 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    How can you even compare the two?? One is an iconic song from a fantastic film which NATURALLY spent 16 weeks at #1 and the other is a generic, heavily-autotuned "song" which spent 16 weeks cheating itself to the #1 spot by a stupid and unnecessary chart format (bloody streaming >:( ) and is still contaminating our charts like a really bad virus!!
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no cheating involved. Please stop with this melodrama.
  • Options
    Jeannie_WilsonJeannie_Wilson Posts: 1,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can you even compare the two?? One is an iconic song from a fantastic film which NATURALLY spent 16 weeks at #1 and the other is a generic, heavily-autotuned "song" which spent 16 weeks cheating itself to the #1 spot by a stupid and unnecessary chart format (bloody streaming >:( ) and is still contaminating our charts like a really bad virus!!

Agree.