Football Commentators Thread (Part 18)

Comments

• Options
    Peter BrackleyPeter Brackley Posts: 1,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clever3000 wrote: »

i am a big fan of Peter Alliss.

Bringing it back to football there aren't that many biased football commentators around. Some might argue Clive Tyldesley but really the bias isn't as prominent in football as it is in some other sports.

Me, too, and millions of others, although not apparently Charlie Sale!

Wasn't there an event at the Winter Olympics when the British commentators got absolutely slated for being so biased.....screaming and shouting etc?
  • Options
    clever3000clever3000 Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member

Wasn't there an event at the Winter Olympics when the British commentators got absolutely slated for being so biased.....screaming and shouting etc?

Yes, that was when Jenny Jones won the Bronze medal at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics. The commentators were Ed Leigh, Tim Warwood and Aimee Fuller.
  • Options
    TheSubaru2012TheSubaru2012 Posts: 3,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have commentary details for these televised pre-season games?:

* PSG V West Brom (13/07)
    * West Ham games including FC Slovacko, Rubin Kazan and Karlsruher
  • Options
    digiremotedigiremote Posts: 3,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Third Qualifying Round,First Leg:Astana v Celtic - Premier Sports

Commentators: Rory Hamilton and Michael Stewart
  • Options
    cook0891cook0891 Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Juventus V Spurs: (International Champions Cup)

David Jones presening from the studios with Naill Quinn. Commentary from Daniel Mann and Tony Gale.

Appart from Manchester United V Borussia Dortmund which Tyler and Hincliffe did I don't think any of Sky's main PL commentators have done commentary on the Champions Cup. Expect Tyler to do Borussia Dortmund V Man City and presumbly he would have done the Manchester derby if it didn't get called off.

In other news there may be a winter break to the PL soon...

I haven't seen any of these games but presume all off tube bar the Celtic v Leicester one? Or maybe The Man Utd v Dortmund one? I know Tyler in the past has done the PL trophy games on site pre-season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digiremote wrote: »
    Third Qualifying Round,First Leg:Astana v Celtic - Premier Sports

Commentators: Rory Hamilton and Michael Stewart

Defently off-tube as the crown noise was really quiet when Celtic scored.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cook0891 wrote: »
    I haven't seen any of these games but presume all off tube bar the Celtic v Leicester one? Or maybe The Man Utd v Dortmund one? I know Tyler in the past has done the PL trophy games on site pre-season.

Had contact from Daniel this week and he certainly didn't mention being in Melbourne!
    But then perhaps he didn't tell me as he hadn't told his MUM, and, as we know, she's an avid reader of the thread!

So perhaps I've now landed him in it !:o

Or yeah, he could just be off-tube.:cool::)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

.............DEFENTLY off-tube as the CROWN noise was really quiet when Celtic scored.

You just got back from the pub, Subaru?:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You just got back from the pub, Subaru?:p

Oops so I have, but let's just say this, everybody was off the tube. :D
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky schedules for start of Premier League now out.

Sky Sports 1
    Saturday 13th August
    10:00 - Soccer AM
    11:30 - Live PL: Hull City vs Leicester City
    15:00 - Gillette Soccer Saturday
    17:15 - Live EFL: Norwich vs Sheffield Wednesday
    20:00 - EFL Goals
    20:30 - Nissan Game of the Day
    22:30 - Nissan Goal Choice

Sunday 14th August
    09:00 - The Sunday Supplement
    10:30 - Goals on Sunday
    12:30 - TBA (Bournemouth vs Man Utd)
    15:30 to 19:00 - TBA (Arsenal vs Liverpool)

Monday 15th August
    19:00 to 23:00 - TBA (Chelsea vs West Ham)

Friday 19th August
    17:30 - The Fantasy Football Club
    18:30 to 23:00 - Live FNF: Man Utd vs Southampton

The generic Sky descriptions of note
    It is a terrific opening weekend that sets the stage perfectly for what is arguably the most unpredictable season ever: anything could happen. With an expanded Score Centre app, an expert presentation line-up and 126 matches - more than ever before - Sky Sports is the definitive place to follow all of the action from the top flight.

It is a beautifully set stage for the opening FNF - so whether you're out and about watching on your mobile, with friends watching at the pub, or simply kicking off your boots and unwinding on the sofa after a long week, Friday Night Football provides the perfect way to begin the weekend in style.
  • Options
    BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 29,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clever3000 wrote: »
    Richie Benaud really was the voice of Cricket, one of the best commentators in any sport of all time.

I would have to disagree with your opinion im afraid Peter on Andrew Castle. He is a sound commentator but i personally cannot stand him when he commentates on Andy Murray's matches as he cannot hide his bias. I remember watching some of the Queens Club tennis back in June and Sue asked him a question about Roger Federer and Castle's reply was all about Andy Murray being the most eminent sports person the UK has. A statement he has since repeated often!

Thats really interesting to find out how Sue made her way to the BBC, i didn't really have a clue before so thanks Steve!:) It seems we have a lot to thank Jonathan Martin for as its now got to a stage that you couldn't imagine Wimbledon without Sue Barker.

I too have to disagree on Castle. I find most of the BBC's Wimbledon coverage very strong with the exception of Andrew Castle and Garry Richardson.

Richardson is just cringeworthy to watch and often comes up with the questions that never needed asked. The players must dread his interviews sometimes than the actual matches. I remember him asking Andy Murray this year if he'd watch Toy Story after one of his matches. :o

Castle I find incredibly lightweight. I appreciate Wimbledon attracts casual viewers and the other commentators are there to provide most of the insight but he really doesn't add much and I find his commentator irritating and find myself shouting at the TV for him to shut up more than I do with any commentator in any other sport.

He's particularly bad too for fawning over the top players (not just Murray either) - obviously you expect some given how talented they are and some of the shots they produce but he seems to forget at times there is another player on the court - which is an issue I have with Clive Tydesley's commentaries at times on games too.

To be clear I'm not saying not to praise brilliant play/brilliant players (that'd be ridiculous) but sometimes less is more. That was Peter Drury's issue when he was at ITV - he'd go overboard when it really wasn't necessary.

By comparsion, I find Mark Petchey fantastic. He's a brilliant balance between praising some of the brilliance of the absolute best players but also acknowledging there is another player on the court and his commentaries always strike the right balance for me.

Charles Sale just doesn't seem to like anything full stop.

That said despite saying the above I'll be honest and say I'm not a huge Alliss fan. I know he's a national treasure and all but I'm not a huge fan of when he goes on his tales.

I'll accept all the abuse I get for saying that. :D
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Friday 19th August
    17:30 - The Fantasy Football Club
    18:30 to 23:00 - Live FNF: Man Utd vs Southampton

The generic Sky descriptions of note

4 1/2 hours. And I thought 10.30pm was a late finish. Goodness me. Let's just say I'm interested to see what they do with that show :o

Sky certainly trying to get all the value-for-money they can from their rights. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see Soccer Saturday back on Sky Sports 1, think it's better fitted there as then we don't have a silly filter placed there, plus hopefully it means we get a proper handover, like we did in the 2013/14 season, to Mr Stelling and the EFL team at the end of the programs.

The way FNF description reads suggests that it's going to be a more showbiz program, I can't dare to say these words... 'Studio Audience'.

D.M.N, is there anything in the schedule to suggest that Sky are doing a Premier League preview program this year?
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    22:30 - Nissan Goal Choice

The thing to note here is that this programme is reduced from 90 mins to 60 mins - so either shorter match edits (were previously 45 mins) or a shorter round-up where they go through the goals from each match in the studio at the end - or probably both.

It's also still called "Match Choice" - ie now "Nissan Match Choice" - suggesting programme structure the same as before - albeit shorter as described above.
  • Options
    SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,553
    Forum Member
    Ian Darke and Tommy Smyth will commentate on Celtic vs. Barcelona on Saturday for ESPN.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BFGArmy wrote: »

By comparsion, I find Mark Petchey fantastic. He's a brilliant balance between praising some of the brilliance of the absolute best players but also acknowledging there is another player on the court and his commentaries always strike the right balance for me.

. :D

Good constructive stuff, BFG, as always, and that's what I mean about opinions being so different between us all!:cool:

I actually find Mark's commentary extremely flat!

As for your comments on Garry Richardson, I had better keep a low profile on this one as he and I, along with Ian Darke, have been close friends for over 30 years since we joined BBC Radio together!

You are wrong, though, about the players dreading his interviews, he gets on well with them, including Federer and, in particular, Murray, with whom he's enjoyed a close relationship for a number of years.

As for the Toy Story reference, it was a joke as I recall, something to do with someone reading Tolstoy I believe, but can't remember exactly what it was!:(

The only other thing I would say on Garry's contribution is that obviously your opinion, which you are, of course, as ever, perfectly entitled to, isn't shared by the BBC, as this is I believe at least his THIRTIETH year doing the interviews!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few random (and very minor) points:

- Soccer Saturday still starts at 12 noon on SSN - so 12 to 6 on SSN with 3 to 5.15 simulcast on SS1.

- Nothing being simulcast on SS5 any more - ie no live football, nor Soccer Saturday.

- Think someone previously suggested the Sat 3pm Irish live PL games would go on SS5 in Ireland - if so this would fit with the above. There's no live sport on SS5 on Sat afternoon - just WWE Wrestling.

- Spanish Super Cup is live on SS1 - 1st leg Sun 14 Aug (9.55pm); 2nd leg Wed 17 Aug (10.55pm).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »

- Soccer Saturday still starts at 12 noon on SSN - so 12 to 6 on SSN with 3 to 5.15 simulcast on SS1.

- Nothing being simulcast on SS5 any more - ie no live football, nor Soccer Saturday.

- Think someone previously suggested the Sat 3pm Irish live PL games would go on SS5 in Ireland - if so this would fit with the above. There's no live sport on SS5 on Sat afternoon - just WWE Wrestling.

- Spanish Super Cup is live on SS1 - 1st leg Sun 14 Aug (9.55pm); 2nd leg Wed 17 Aug (10.55pm).

Noticed according to the Live Football On TV site that Sky's first two Scottish Premiership games is actually being simulcasted on Sky Sports 5, although they are both on the weekend before the PL season begins so I can take this point is sort of invalid a bit, once the La Liga season starts I think we might see live action on Sky Sports 5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Domzale V West Ham (UEL QR3 L1): Derek Rae commentating for BT Sport.
  • Options
    sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

).

Soccer Saturday moving to Sky Sports 1 suggests that they very likely plan to run the Irish games on Sky Sports 1 in Ireland - which would, of course, keep all of the live PL football on that channel.

They are not likely to drop non-simulcast programming on another channel - whether live or not - when Soccer Saturday runs on two channels.
  • Options
    seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 4,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing to note here is that this programme is reduced from 90 mins to 60 mins - so either shorter match edits (were previously 45 mins) or a shorter round-up where they go through the goals from each match in the studio at the end - or probably both.

It's also still called "Match Choice" - ie now "Nissan Match Choice" - suggesting programme structure the same as before - albeit shorter as described above.

Further to this, the first programme at 10.30pm will be an hour as you know. Subsequent highlights shows following through the night will be 30 minutes. So I believe it to be half highlights half analysis for first show similar to previous seasons, then 'repeats' are just match highlights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sat-ire wrote: »
    Soccer Saturday moving to Sky Sports 1 suggests that they very likely plan to run the Irish games on Sky Sports 1 in Ireland - which would, of course, keep all of the live PL football on that channel.

They are not likely to drop non-simulcast programming on another channel - whether live or not - when Soccer Saturday runs on two channels.

Maybe - although if they do that they would have to leave the post match coverage of the 12.30pm live game on SS1 - which remains on air until 3pm.

(Assuming the Irish 3pm game has at least some intro - which seems likely).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Phew!
    Really don't know how you guys keep up with all the channel and programme changes and manage to follow what's on where, with whom, and at what time it might or might not be happening!:confused:

Amazing!

Me?
    I just turn the TV on, see what's on the channel I'm watching, and if I don't like it, change to another one!
    :cool:
    As for presenters.....well, obviously I have some I prefer over others, but at the end of the day( or night), it's the match I'm really interested in!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phew!
    Really don't know how you guys keep up with all the channel and programme changes and manage to follow what's on where, with whom, and at what time it might or might not be happening!:confused:

Amazing!

Me?
    I just turn the TV on, see what's on the channel I'm watching, and if I don't like it, change to another one!
    :cool:
    As for presenters.....well, obviously I have some I prefer over others, but at the end of the day( or night), it's the match I'm really interested in!

I've not forgotten the question someone asked about dangerous grounds etc, by the way, and will do that one tomorrow!
  • Options
    sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe - although if they do that they would have to leave the post match coverage of the 12.30pm live game on SS1 - which remains on air until 3pm.

(Assuming the Irish 3pm game has at least some intro - which seems likely).

There wouldn't be a huge build-up to the 3pm game. I think there may not even be a studio intro.

In fact it is eminently plausible that they will go direct to the ground at around ten minutes to 3 to join the commentary team (which is when the UK post-match would be very much in wind-down of course and any "lost" interviews could be run at half-time).

Pre-match 3pm interviews can be ran and introduced by said commentary team.

The other possible option is that they'd introduce a special red button option on Sky Sports 1 just for Irish viewers for the 3pm build-up. This could appear during the post-match on the 12.30 with the game itself then running on the red button or on Sky Sports 1.

One other option is a standalone channel for Irish viewers - but that would be the least likely option of all imo.

But I'd be pretty positive that they won't drop single-channel programming on Sky Sports 5.
  • Options
    Tony YeboahTony Yeboah Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Real Madrid v PSG- Kevin Keatings on Sky
    Bayern v Milan- Tony Jones and Ray Houghton for the world feed
This discussion has been closed.