Options

Power of the Daleks animated

Comments

• Options
    ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I checked out a few recons (OMG that name... THAT NAME!!! :o:o:o:o )

Just about all of them are really, really terrible - howlingly so. Whoever did that clip knows how to animate and edit video - something nobody else who does this seems to have mastered. If it's a fan offering, it's millions of lightyears ahead of the competition.

If the story is kosher, I'm looking forward to them doing a few more missing stories.

'Whorecons' - Just... just no! Who thought that was a good idea?

Well, somebody who thought it might be nice for people to appreciate lost stories.

Their animation does take some getting used to, but it's better than staring at a load of still images or listening to an audio description of what's happening. I've just recently watched "The Daleks Masterplan" with Whorecons, and will be watching "Power of the Daleks" with them, in all likelihood, unless this rumour turns out to be true.
  • Options
    Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thamwet wrote: »
    Well, somebody who thought it might be nice for people to appreciate lost stories.

Their animation does take some getting used to, but it's better than staring at a load of still images or listening to an audio description of what's happening. I've just recently watched "The Daleks Masterplan" with Whorecons, and will be watching "Power of the Daleks" with them, in all likelihood, unless this rumour turns out to be true.

I can't comment on their animation because I haven't seen it, but there is nothing wrong with either staring at a load of still images or listening to an audio description, both are perfectly acceptable ways to consume missing stories / episodes. I do like animation, but I think, for example, that the reconstructed Tenth Planet Episode 4 is better than the animated version.
  • Options
    Mr SetaMr Seta Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    I can't comment on their animation because I haven't seen it, but there is nothing wrong with either staring at a load of still images or listening to an audio description, both are perfectly acceptable ways to consume missing stories / episodes. I do like animation, but I think, for example, that the reconstructed Tenth Planet Episode 4 is better than the animated version.

I agree too.

I'm just watching The Underwater Menace, & I quite enjoyed watching the stills along with the soundtrack for episode 1. The only thing really missing however that would have been a useful addition is special subtitles which you could switch on or off if you want an explanation as to what's going on as necessary. Adding this wouldn't have added much time & cost to this or the Web of Fear release one would have thought.

As The Crusade, The Faceless Ones, & The Wheel in Space all have 2 episodes each complete & I image enough photo stills for the missing episodes (at least the latter two stories), I think these should all be released this way. I know I'd purchase them, even if I'm not getting much extra than what already exists from the Lost in Time DVD.
  • Options
    Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait to show my little brother this, he completely adores Patrick Troughton's Doctor and the stories he was in.
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Jethryk wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/lost-episodes-doctor-who-shown-8731339

Have to say I'm not 100% sure that they haven't just created a story from rumours found in here though but time will tell I suppose.

BBC hasent confirmed and to be fair the papers did say they found over 100 lost episodes which hasent come true yet and that was 4 years ago.
  • Options
    OnemilescarfOnemilescarf Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    I enjoy the still image compilations and decently done animations (usually Cosgrove Hall).

Unfortunately, just about every fan-made animation is just cringe-inducing. There is one I saw and Hartnell is exiting the TARDIS as the door opens. They didn't animate his legs moving as he's walking, so it looks and sounds like he's being carried out of the doors by a tractor beam!
  • Options
    Mr SetaMr Seta Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Mr Seta wrote: »
    from late 2012, go to Missing episodes website and look up:
    Power - A Rumour Report

I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb here:

-I think this is not some fan made footage, it is far too professional even with modern technology.
    -It has actually been planned for a while now & is well advanced, (see my message above).
    -It was a release made by someone involved (intentional or otherwise). As a result the BBC quickly took it down.
    -The reason for this, is it is planned for a release near the end of the year to coincide with the new series & as a surprise Christmas present for the fans, so maybe even as early as 23 November -anniversary day -and a perfect time to release something before Christmas.
    -They are making use of new technology which has dramatically reduced the cost and effort into making cartoons.
    -The Power of the Daleks is the perfect candidate to test this. It is a very visual story, with objects & settings which are fairly easy to recreate. Also, there are plenty of photos left to base the visuals off, and it is a fan favourite -now that WoF has (almost) been completely returned it is probably the #1 missing story we want back.
    -If it proves successful, which, with all (or most ....?) of the episodes still missing, i.e. an interesting litmus test, then the BBC will look to other missing stories.
    -It would be unlikely it will look to recreate all the missing stories, only the popular ones (it all depends upon demand and continuing reduction in costs). So stories such as: The Abominable Snowmen, Fury From the Deep, The Evil of the Daleks and of course The Space Pirates (joke).

http://www.movienewsguide.com/doctor-who-power-of-the-daleks/271037
  • Options
    JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Official announcement tonight - Midnight.

Looks like Power has been animated! :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CrrZfWAWcAABIfP.jpg:large
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lovely animated teaser, too ...

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/09/bbc-teaser-trailer-060916172008.html

Maybe this might actually be happening. Maybe Power might be released.

Oh
    My
    Word

:o
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So will this be a download or a DVD or both??
  • Options
    grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    So will this be a download or a DVD or both??

Download at first. DVD at a later date I would imagine
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »

Maybe the announcement will make it clear
  • Options
    Kieran SeymourKieran Seymour Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »

The BBC Store accidentally broke the embargo on their own news. Oops...

- Episode 1 will be available from 5:50pm on 5 November (exact time of the original broadcast 50 years earlier!), with the remaining episodes released over the next five days.

- It'll be exclusive to the BBC Store until 14 November.

- DVD released on 21 November.

I haven't actually seen the DVD date on the screen captures of the text from the BBC store before it was taken down, but I don't see any great reason to disbelieve it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    http://badwilf.com/power-of-the-daleks-to-be-released-as-an-animation/

According to this site the animation has been done by the same company that did A Stripe For Frazer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX0L8WGKxEw
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do hope the few surviving clips are included on the DVD.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do hope the few surviving clips are included on the DVD.

They'd have to be crazy not to include them as some sort of bonus feature.
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully this does well and they continue to animate the missing stories; just the possibility is exciting! Imagine; a FULL library of every episode ever created; all lined up on your bookcase. Yes, they wouldn't all be the original material; but seriously, this is the stuff of dreams!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    Hopefully this does well and they continue to animate the missing stories; just the possibility is exciting! Imagine; a FULL library of every episode ever created; all lined up on your bookcase. Yes, they wouldn't all be the original material; but seriously, this is the stuff of dreams!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if people can afford this please buy it even if you're not interested in the story (although I would think most people will be!). The only way they will continue to do these is if they are financially viable. I will be buying the download and the DVD.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I keep going through periods of buying and selling my dr. Who's. All i have right now is the lost in time boxset.

But between the macgann blu ray and this, i think i'll start picking a few up over the autumn/winter....
  • Options
    Sam_Gee1Sam_Gee1 Posts: 1,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very excited about this, one of my favourite stories which should only get better now.
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Jethryk wrote: »
    Official announcement tonight - Midnight.

Looks like Power has been animated! :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CrrZfWAWcAABIfP.jpg:large

Yeah typical BBC store to leak it. Still least we are getting a DVD on November 21st!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    13 minutes to go
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    8 minute.......

'Iam your soldier....'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    http://blogtorwho.com/confirmed-bbc-worldwide-release-lost-doctor-power-daleks-animation/

Special BFI Screening

On Saturday 5th November there will also be a screening of episodes 1-3 at the BFI Southbank, London. The event will include a Q&A with Anneke Wills (Polly), and Frazer Hines (Jamie) plus writer Charles Norton.

Further information will be available from bfi.org.uk from Monday 19th September.

Wasn't there a similar event with Frazer and Debbie prior to the release of Enemy... and Web...?