Options

Best supporting actress nominee and Bette Davis co-star Joan Lorring dies aged 88

Comments

• Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the run this morning Walter. Let us know how you went on.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,214
    Forum Member
    Good luck with the run this morning Walter. Let us know how you went on.

Thanks Dan, I did pretty good, 1 hour 16 minutes, and as usual, I was the oldest runner. ;-)

You can see all the photo's on my Facebook page, under my real name of course. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dan, I did pretty good, 1 hour 16 minutes, and as usual, I was the oldest runner. ;-)

You can see all the photo's on my Facebook page, under my real name of course. :D

Well done. Great pictures and a lovely day for it too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well done. Great pictures and a lovely day for it too.

Thanks Dan, Yes it was a lovely day, beautiful scenery, and not too hot. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    STOP PRESS!!

Monday 7.50 am- Movies4Men Sky 325 - Freeview 48 - Virgin 426 - Freesat 304 ND- "TILL THE END OF TIME"

For Hilda, and all of you who Googled Guy Madison and fell instantly in lust with him.

This was only his second film, and he got second billing after the lovely Dorothy McGuire, and over Robert Mitchum. I haven't seen it, but the photo's from it look wonderful.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cafe+society&oq=ca&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j69i61j35i39l2j69i60j69i61.3129j0j4&client=ms-android-sonymobile&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

I went to see a wonderful film last night set in Hollywood in the 1930s called "Cafe Society" and it was an absolute treat!

I recommend it to any film buff but definitely to lovers of Hollywood's golden age.

It's like a nostalgic slightly bittersweet love letter to Hollywood in the 1930s. Beautiful scenery and great atmospherics of that era.

Lot's of nods and name checks to the era and there's a character in the film who is a fan of......... BARBARA STANWYCK!!!

I will post and read prior post's to this latter as I'm back out at the cinema again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    STOP PRESS!!

Monday 7.50 am- Movies4Men Sky 325 - Freeview 48 - Virgin 426 - Freesat 304 ND- "TILL THE END OF TIME"

For Hilda, and all of you who Googled Guy Madison and fell instantly in lust with him.

This was only his second film, and he got second billing after the lovely Dorothy McGuire, and over Robert Mitchum. I haven't seen it, but the photo's from it look wonderful.

Wonderful thanks Walter!

I'm always up for indulging a lustful crush! ;-):blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cafe+society&oq=ca&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j69i61j35i39l2j69i60j69i61.3129j0j4&client=ms-android-sonymobile&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

I went to see a wonderful film last night set in Hollywood in the 1930s called "Cafe Society" and it was an absolute treat!

I recommend it to any film buff but definitely to lovers of Hollywood's golden age.

It's like a nostalgic slightly bittersweet love letter to Hollywood in the 1930s. Beautiful scenery and great atmospherics of that era.

Lot's of nods and name checks to the era and there's a character in the film who is a fan of......... BARBARA STANWYCK!!!

I will post and read prior post's to this latter as I'm back out at the cinema again!

Thanks Hilda,

I know that the characters in the film go and see Barbara in The Woman in Red, and I believe the fabulous poster from the film is displayed outside the cinema. It is coming to Faversham next month, my friend loves Woody Allen, so we will be going to see it.

Dame Joan Collins is coming to the Marlowe Theatre, Canterbury next month in her one woman show, but I can't find anyone who wants to see her. On Saturday morning at the gym, one of my 20 year instructor friends said to me, "Who is Joan Collins?" :o
  • Options
    DavidJ28DavidJ28 Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    The Barbara Stanwyck tribute was fabulous. Walter, I can see why you got emotional. She seemed a wonderful woman and what an actress. I have The Lady Eve still in its wrapper, need to watch it and I so need to get Sorry, Wrong Number - the close up of her face reacting to the call is a lesson in screen acting, right there!!

Hilda and Walter - thank you for the Guy Madison info!!! I opened the thread at Hilda's reply and couldn't wait to read what Walter had written. Don't know anything about Guy, I assume he was discovered by the same man as Tab Hunter?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DavidJ28 wrote: »
    The Barbara Stanwyck tribute was fabulous. Walter, I can see why you got emotional. She seemed a wonderful woman and what an actress. I have The Lady Eve still in its wrapper, need to watch it and I so need to get Sorry, Wrong Number - the close up of her face reacting to the call is a lesson in screen acting, right there!!

Hilda and Walter - thank you for the Guy Madison info!!! I opened the thread at Hilda's reply and couldn't wait to read what Walter had written. Don't know anything about Guy, I assume he was discovered by the same man as Tab Hunter?

David, So glad that you enjoyed it, they really needed a full hour without the adverts to do her justice. It is when you see all of those film clips one after the other, that you realise just how versatile she was. They should have shown a clip from Titanic, one of her great performances from the 1950's. You really must take The Lady Eve out of it's wrapper, and you can buy Sorry, Wrong Number from Amazon for under £7.

Yes, Guy and Tab were both discovered by Henry Willson, who else would have given young Arthur Gelien a name like Tab Hunter. After Rock Hudson and Race Gentry, I am just surprised that he didn't get around to re christening one of his hunks Ruff Trade. :D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Hilda,

I know that the characters in the film go and see Barbara in The Woman in Red, and I believe the fabulous poster from the film is displayed outside the cinema. It is coming to Faversham next month, my friend loves Woody Allen, so we will be going to see it.

Dame Joan Collins is coming to the Marlowe Theatre, Canterbury next month in her one woman show, but I can't find anyone who wants to see her. On Saturday morning at the gym, one of my 20 year instructor friends said to me, "Who is Joan Collins?" :o
    Who is Joan Collins??!! :o I hope you read him the riot act!! Are you going to go and see Joan? I'm shocked you don't have any friends interested in going! The Edinburgh show I'm seeing is now a full sell out.

Loved the Barbara Stanwyck documentary my only mild criticism would be it could easily have retained its quality and covered more material by going for 90 minute's. I hadn't realised that Barbara didn't do much acting at all in the 1970s.

Also the possibility she may have passed on Double Indemnity!! :o Unthinkable I can't imagine cinema history without Barbara playing the role she was definitively perfect for.

Glad you appreciate Guy! Tab Hunter is rather gorgeous too, openly gay and still alive. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who is Joan Collins??!! :o I hope you read him the riot act!! Are you going to go and see Joan? I'm shocked you don't have any friends interested in going! The Edinburgh show I'm seeing is now a full sell out.

Loved the Barbara Stanwyck documentary my only mild criticism would be it could easily have retained its quality and covered more material by going for 90 minute's. I hadn't realised that Barbara didn't do much acting at all in the 1970s.

Also the possibility she may have passed on Double Indemnity!! :o Unthinkable I can't imagine cinema history without Barbara playing the role she was definitively perfect for.

Hilda, all of my friends are at least 25 years younger than me, AND straight. To them, Dame Joan is an old lady who used to appear in a Soap that their Mums used to watch. ;-)

Unfortunately, all 60 of the "Dicovering" series are only 45 minutes long without the adverts. As you say, it needed 90 minutes to do her justice, she did some wonderful drama's after Sorry, Wrong Number, as well as her greatest Western, The Furies. But I am fortunate that this is the third documentary on her, some stars of the Golden Age like Greer Garson have never had a single tribute to them.

Those critics over dramatized about her going into mourning after Robert Taylor's death. She did break down at his funeral, about the only time that she ever lost control in public, but she was back at work the following year. She did three great TV dramas for Aaron Spelling, The House that Wouldn't Die in 1970, Taste of Evil in 1971, and The Letters in 1973.

You can see all three of them on YouTube. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Glad you appreciate Guy! Tab Hunter is rather gorgeous too, openly gay and still alive. :)

Hilda - Tab is one of my favourites, he is a stunningly handsome man. The clip of him singing "Young Love" on YouTube - maybe the Ed Sullivan show is wonderful. He is completely mortified and keeps smiling in embaressment, I think it was the first time he sang live on TV. He seemed so shy and adorable.

Enjoy seeing Joan "Who" Collins ;-). That will be a fabulous evening. I heard her on Radio 2 the other day and she said she never got on well with John Forsyth - he never liked her. I love when a Star is open and honest and speaks their mind!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hilda, all of my friends are at least 25 years younger than me, AND straight. To them, Dame Joan is an old lady who used to appear in a Soap that their Mums used to watch. ;-)

Unfortunately, all 60 of the "Dicovering" series are only 45 minutes long without the adverts. As you say, it needed 90 minutes to do her justice, she did some wonderful drama's after Sorry, Wrong Number, as well as her greatest Western, The Furies. But I am fortunate that this is the third documentary on her, some stars of the Golden Age like Greer Garson have never had a single tribute to them.

Those critics over dramatized about her going into mourning after Robert Taylor's death. She did break down at his funeral, about the only time that she ever lost control in public, but she was back at work the following year. She did three great TV dramas for Aaron Spelling, The House that Wouldn't Die in 1970, Taste of Evil in 1971, and The Letters in 1973.

You can see all three of them on YouTube. :)
    Thanks. The Thornbirds was definitely the best of her latter day work.
    In the documentary they said Barbara spent much time in her latter years supporting causes or charities. Do you happen to know what they were? What was close to her heart in this regard?
    Hilda - Tab is one of my favourites, he is a stunningly handsome man. The clip of him singing "Young Love" on YouTube - maybe the Ed Sullivan show is wonderful. He is completely mortified and keeps smiling in embaressment, I think it was the first time he sang live on TV. He seemed so shy and adorable.

Enjoy seeing Joan "Who" Collins ;-). That will be a fabulous evening. I heard her on Radio 2 the other day and she said she never got on well with John Forsyth - he never liked her. I love when a Star is open and honest and speaks their mind!

Could you provide a link to this clip of Tab please?

Thanks I am looking forward to seeing Joan Collins but I'm also quite nervous! Not sure why as she seems lovely and I will be near the front and probably sat next to some local bigwigs!

I want to ask a question but I'm nervous so hope my nerves don't get the better of me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In the documentary they said Barbara spent much time in her latter years supporting causes or charities. Do you happen to know what they were? What was close to her heart in this regard?

Thanks I am looking forward to seeing Joan Collins but I'm also quite nervous! Not sure why as she seems lovely and I will be near the front and probably sat next to some local bigwigs!

I want to ask a question but I'm nervous so hope my nerves don't get the better of me!

Hilda, Barbara was very much involved with The Blind Veteran's Association. She was an Honorary Member, and did recordings for them.

I have a fabulous photo of Joan and Barbara at a Hollywood function in the early 1980's, if I had gone to see her I would have taken the photo with me, and asked her what they talked about. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hilda, Barbara was very much involved with The Blind Veteran's Association. She was an Honorary Member, and did recordings for them.

I have a fabulous photo of Joan and Barbara at a Hollywood function in the early 1980's, if I had gone to see her I would have taken the photo with me, and asked her what they talked about. :)

You've definitely decided not to go and see her in Marlowe?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You've definitely decided not to go and see her in Marlowe?

One of the girls at the gym said that she would go with me. I will check on the prices, I am not going to pay a fortune, not even for Joan.

I remember seeing her first husband Maxwell Reed at the Granada, Clapham Junction in the late 1940's, long before I had even heard of Joan. ;-)

Did you record Guy in Till the End of Time.in Movies 4 Men?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Could you provide a link to this clip of Tab please?

Here is link to Tab,

https://youtu.be/A5LRe4xecZQ

Hope it works :)

Let me know what you think and ask Dame Joan your question, you may never get another chance x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here is link to Tab,

https://youtu.be/A5LRe4xecZQ

Hope it works :)

Let me know what you think and ask Dame Joan your question, you may never get another chance x
    Thanks yes it works and Tab actually has quite a decent voice. What a cutie 😍 I wish the studio's had promoted him more I think he could have been a bigger star. Yes I've decided I will ask but I'm debating what! I'm considering asking for her anecdotes on the three Diva Queens of Hollywood, Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck and Joan Crawford or if she had any secret crushes on Hollywood leading men?
    One of the girls at the gym said that she would go with me. I will check on the prices, I am not going to pay a fortune, not even for Joan.

I remember seeing her first husband Maxwell Reed at the Granada, Clapham Junction in the late 1940's, long before I had even heard of Joan. ;-)

Did you record Guy in Till the End of Time.in Movies 4 Men?

If you do decide to go don't mention Joan's first husband to her she's not a big fan!

Let me know what you decide about Joan Collins!

No I didn't record it I got myself mixed up on the dates :(I'm kicking myself. Any likelihood it's on again soon?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Bancroft

Born on this day in 1931 actress Anne Bancroft most famous for her role as the cougar seductress in The Graduate with Dustin Hoffman.
    She died aged 73 of cancer in June 2005.

Any Anne Bancroft fan's on here?

Any connection to Barbara Stanwyck Walter?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Born on this day in 1931 actress Anne Bancroft most famous for her role as the cougar seductress in The Graduate with Dustin Hoffman.

Me. Lol. :)

Love Anne Bancroft, more her comedy roles tho, loved her in Prisoner of Second Avenue and the remake of To Be Or Not To Be

X
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from The Graduate I only remember her in 84 Charing Cross Road. I film I really enjoyed.
  • Options
    Forum Member

A wonderful actress who died far too young. I love her in Seven Women, in which she replaced Patricia Neal who had to give up the role after suffering a crippling stroke. It was a very Stanwyck type role, but apart from that, there was no connection between them. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes I've decided I will ask but I'm debating what! I'm considering asking for her anecdotes on the three Diva Queens of Hollywood, Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck and Joan Crawford or if she had any secret crushes on Hollywood leading men?

If you do decide to go don't mention Joan's first husband to her she's not a big fan!

Let me know what you decide about Joan Collins!

No I didn't record it I got myself mixed up on the dates :(I'm kicking myself. Any likelihood it's on again soon?

£43. 50 for the cheapest set is a bit too expensive for me, so I am afraid that I won't be going to see Dame Joan, as much as I would love to. :(.

Movie4Men usually repeat their films, so I am sure that you will have another chance to see your Guy. ;-)

I haven't had chance to see it yet as my brother has been staying with me since Thursday. He is here to watch me take part in today's Faversham 10K which starts at 11am. This is my tenth year, and I am hoping that I am the oldest runner as I have been presented with the Veteran's Award for the past four years. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    £43. 50 for the cheapest set is a bit too expensive for me, so I am afraid that I won't be going to see Dame Joan, as much as I would love to. :(.

Movie4Men usually repeat their films, so I am sure that you will have another chance to see your Guy. ;-)

I haven't had chance to see it yet as my brother has been staying with me since Thursday. He is here to watch me take part in today's Faversham 10K which starts at 11am. This is my tenth year, and I am hoping that I am the oldest runner as I have been presented with the Veteran's Award for the past four years. :)

Awe Walter I was just about to post a tweet link from Joan Collins that she posted today reminding people that there is still tickets available for Marlowe.

I bet your so disappointed :(

I combined my ticket purchase with a weekend holiday break in Edinburgh so it's part of my holiday expenses. It is this Saturday that I'm going to see Joan! Edinburgh is a full sell out! If I was able to pay for you to travel and stay over in Edinburgh and smuggle you into the show to see Joan Collins I would!
    I'm loving how your referring to my new crush as your guy :blush:
    I've looked at some of the Facebook stuff that you pointed me towards and it's just whetted my appetite even more! :D

Best Wishes for your big Faversham run -I'm sure you will do very well and something tells me you've got a few veteran awards left in you yet!