Options

Ordinary voters would love the current Labour Parties ideas

The BackbencherThe Backbencher Posts: 577
Forum Member
✭✭
If they were allowed to hear them without the accompanying deeply negative commentary from just about every media outlet and those with vested interests.

As things stand, most people who take only a casual interest in politics would think Corbyn was a communist IRA man who advocates lynching the royal family!

Of course, if ordinary voters were actually to hear Labours unadulterated messages about going after the tax cheats, closing the obscene gap between the wealthiest and the rest, bringing in a real living wage, cutting down on interfering in the affairs of sovereign states, seriously investing in infrastructure, job creation, housing, education and the NHS people might actually vote for it in huge numbers! And, of course, those at the very top - the 1%, if you like, wouldn't want that one little bit.

Comments

• Options
    MikeJWMikeJW Posts: 3,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great. Might be a good idea to get out there and tell people about them, then. It's not the media's fault that Corbyn's better known for walking away from cameras than towards them. It's his.
  • Options
    EuroFoxiEuroFoxi Posts: 12,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How patronising. I'm sure that'll go down well with the prospective voters.

"You like Corbyn really, you're just brainwashed by the evil media." In short.
  • Options
    B-29B-29 Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they were allowed to hear them without the accompanying deeply negative commentary from just about every media outlet and those with vested interests.

As things stand, most people who take only a casual interest in politics would think Corbyn was a communist IRA man who advocates lynching the royal family!

Of course, if ordinary voters were actually to hear Labours unadulterated messages about going after the tax cheats, closing the obscene gap between the wealthiest and the rest, bringing in a real living wage, cutting down on interfering in the affairs of sovereign states, seriously investing in infrastructure, job creation, housing, education and the NHS people might actually vote for it in huge numbers! And, of course, those at the very top - the 1%, if you like, wouldn't want that one little bit.

Please stop treating the electorate as simpletons , they hear Labours ideas and don't like them and don't want to pay for them .
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corbyn? No thanks!

I'll consider voting Labour once they finally get rid of this pillock.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikeJW wrote: »
    Great. Might be a good idea to get out there and tell people about them, then. It's not the media's fault that Corbyn's better known for walking away from cameras than towards them. It's his.

Oh, Corbyn and his media team need to continue upping their game nqat but they will always be fighting with both hands behind their back because the real power brokers in this country are absolutely determined to distort every message and keep them as far away from power as possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    B-29 wrote: »
    Please stop treating the electorate as simpletons , they hear Labours ideas and don't like them and don't want to pay for them .

I'm not. The fact is most people in this country aren't particularly politically motivated and those at the top very much like it that way.
  • Options
    B-29B-29 Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, Corbyn and his media team need to continue upping their game nqat but they will always be fighting with both hands behind their back because the real power brokers in this country are absolutely determined to distort every message and keep them as far away from power as possible.

How have distorted his views on Trident ?
  • Options
    Boo Radley75Boo Radley75 Posts: 13,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corbyn dosen't know who Ant and Dec are, dosen't do his tie up properly, dosen't bow low enough and attends his MP surgeries instead of hobnobbing at a Sports match. These are the reasons given for him being unelectable in the mass media. I'd like to think that most people don't buy into rubbish but given the popularity of the papers that print this stuff, it seems a large enough amount of people buy into it.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed. And this patronising "We need to get our message across" stuff is tedious. It's like those religious doorstep callers. If only they can 'save us' with the message they fortunately bring from their position of special knowledge to us heathens.
    The idea that we know the message, and don't want it thank you very much, is impossible for them to comprehend in their righteousness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How have distorted his views on Trident ?

They haven't but 'they' have ensured that a hyped up nuclear threat to the UK from Putin, together with continued alarmist reporting on North Korean nuclear testing has created the 'need' for nuclear weapons.

The reality, of course, is that the overwhelming majority of countries don't have nuclear weapons and don't need them.

The arms lobby is a powerful one in this country. But presented with the facts, without the scare mongering, I'm sure that many millions of voters would rather see the Trident money invested in health, education and other public services.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the definition of an "Ordinary voter" is one that asks no questions and takes everything a politician says as a given then yes...... I'm sure they'd love them.
  • Options
    EuroFoxiEuroFoxi Posts: 12,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MargMck wrote: »
    Agreed. And this patronising "We need to get our message across" stuff is tedious. It's like those religious doorstep callers. If only they can 'save us' with the message they fortunately bring from their position of special knowledge to us heathens.
    The idea that we know the message, and don't want it thank you very much, is impossible for them to comprehend in their righteousness.

You're so right. It's like an annoying Jehovah's Witness that insists on annoying me every week. I answered the door to the old bird once out of politeness and now they won't leave me alone!

Very annoying. (Just thought I'd stick annoying in there just one more time so there's no confusion).

Annoying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Patronising. Righteous. You can call it what you like. The fact is that Corbyn has been under the most sustained media attack from both expected sources and the supposed liberal media.

I don't even particularly rate Corbyn as a leader but the attempts to skew public opinion have veered from the sinister to the comical.
  • Options
    ThiswillbefunThiswillbefun Posts: 10,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikeJW wrote: »

It's entirely the media's fault. If they continue to lie & spin, Corbyn has no reason to bother being misrepresented by them in person.

Remember this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHGDDMAP5qU

The BBC is now full of Tory supporters like Pienaar, Marr & Kuennesberg & come across worse than Sky.

The Sun is Murdoch. The Mail & Express are right wing & far right respectively sensationalist tabloids who employ people like Katie Hopkins.

Thankfully people are waking up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They haven't but 'they' have ensured that a hyped up nuclear threat to the UK from Putin, together with continued alarmist reporting on North Korean nuclear testing has created the 'need' for nuclear weapons.

The reality, of course, is that the overwhelming majority of countries don't have nuclear weapons and don't need them.

The arms lobby is a powerful one in this country. But presented with the facts, without the scare mongering, I'm sure that many millions of voters would rather see the Trident money invested in health, education and other public services.

Every one of a right mind would rather see the Trident cost spent on social need. Nuclear weapons are detestable but, in all seriousness, the current state of the world, instabilities even in 'super powers', and balances of power mean that our independent nuclear deterrent is still required. A necessary evil we have to be pragmatic about.
  • Options
    lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member

And how much is this going to cost?

These are all nice ideas, but they come at a cost.

If Corbyn stuck to the major things that concern the voters - the NHS, education and the cost of housing - Labour would have a chance.

Like it or not, the majority of people don't care about the bedroom tax, don't care that there is a cap on benefits and don't care about Trident. As the majority don't use trains, they won't be bothered about what happens to trains.
  • Options
    lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Patronising. Righteous. You can call it what you like. The fact is that Corbyn has been under the most sustained media attack from both expected sources and the supposed liberal media.

I don't even particularly rate Corbyn as a leader but the attempts to skew public opinion have veered from the sinister to the comical.

You obviously don't remember the early 80s. The attacks against Michael Foot were just as bad, as were the attacks against Thatcher.
  • Options
    John_ClunesJohn_Clunes Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Labour party were at the height of popularity when they were lying to the cabinet, invading innocent countries and murdering Muslims.

Only Facebook fools support them now #iwouldsupportanycausethatmakesmelookcool.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't read the tat in much of the press and am very interested in politics. I've followed Corbyn's progress, if you can call it that, for many years, as a previously committed Labour voter. He's a professional protester - people like this have a valuable role in parties where social justice is treasured, but should never be leaders.
    And I am sick to the back teeth of people like Thornberry talking down to us and wish Diane Abbott would 'do one', so there is nothing in their message that would encourage me to vote Lab right now, let alone rejoin the party.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its hard to even start to find credibility with Jeremy given he is now asking for unity from a party he has apparently voted against more than 500 times. The majority of his MP's stabbed him in the back and must now sit beside him smiling presumably through gritted teeth whilst always having to explain away why they are sitting next to him. The press have an open goal there for years, and he has to appeal to soft Tories and centrist voters having part ridden to success on the back of resurrected hard left activism not seen since the early eighties.

He will deserve a Knighthood if he wins the next election-though I doubt he would accept it ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemonbun wrote: »
    You obviously don't remember the early 80s. The attacks against Michael Foot were just as bad, as were the attacks against Thatcher.

Yes, I was a Foot voter and how he was portrayed was hideous. I think he was a good cut above Corbyn when it comes to political ethics and intelligence, both socially and intellectually.
    In all honesty I didn't mind Thatcher getting some stick, although looking back it was equally unfair.
  • Options
    MikeJWMikeJW Posts: 3,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's entirely the media's fault. If they continue to lie & spin, Corbyn has no reason to bother being misrepresented by them in person.
    Corbyn doesn't bother talking to the media means people don't know what he stands for, and there's more opportunity for others to put a negative view. His fault. His failure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't read the tat in much of the press and am very interested in politics. I've followed Corbyn's progress, if you can call it that, for many years, as a previously committed Labour voter. He's a professional protester - people like this have a valuable role in parties where social justice is treasured, but should never be leaders.
    And I am sick to the back teeth of people like Thornberry talking down to us and wish Diane Abbott would 'do one', so there is nothing in their message that would encourage me to vote Lab right now, let alone rejoin the party.

With respect, you couldn't exactly be described as someone who has only a very slight interest in politics. For millions of Brits, politics is barely on their radar at all and when they do tune in/pick up a paper they hear and read a narrative on Labour that rarely veers from the negative.

My own views are that Corbyn has been a very important catalyst for change within Labour but will have to step aside in the next year and endorse a more media savvy candidate, free of Corbyn's baggage who can win a GE.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They could start by explaining how it was all going to be paid for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With respect, you couldn't exactly be described as someone who has only a very slight interest in politics. For millions of Brits, politics is barely on their radar at all and when they do tune in/pick up a paper they hear and read a narrative on Labour that rarely veers from the negative.

My own views are that Corbyn has been a very important catalyst for change within Labour but will have to step aside in the next year and endorse a more media savvy candidate, free of Corbyn's baggage who can win a GE.

The trouble is, the sort of person who could do this - let's say Dan Jarvis - will never be accepted by Momentum/ SWP even if you could prove to them that Labour would rocket up the polls and win a GW in 2025 if not in 2020. All they will see is "Blair Mark2" and oppose it all the way, however socially left a new leader's agenda might be.