Options

Do you ever have the urge to go back to places where you grew up etc?

Chirpy_ChickenChirpy_Chicken Posts: 1,740
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This might seem like an odd thing, but do you ever get the urge to go back to the places where your grew up/lived/studied etc and just visit ?(obviously not if you still live there...;-)

Comments

• Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, my old schools. Unfortunately they have all been knocked down and houses built on the grounds so if I visited now and hung around somebody would ring the police.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've google mapped my old place.
  • Options
    mintoemintoe Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes! I also looked at the house i lived in until i was 9( in Coventry) and moved to Cornwall, and both my Nans old houses. It was quite strange really as things have changed so much in 40 years, yet not if you see what i mean? I would like to go and look in them as well, i am so nosey!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just an urge I've had recently. Weird really .but have a free day tomorrow so may take a trip out and have a look and wonder round
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My old primary school is now a drop-in centre for alcoholics. Considering one of the memories of that school is my father getting locked out of our apartment when answering the door and walking to my school to get my keys wearing only a towel then I suppose it is kinda appropriate ;):D
  • Options
    skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to go past my old comprehensive school a year or two ago (only live 10 miles away now but hadn't been there for a bit) to find that the whole thing had been knocked down. It had sold the existing land the buildings were on for housing and rebuilt on some of the huge schools fields that were there. I was amused by the whole thing and stopped outside the sports centre next door that is/was kinda part of the school. Walked down the only path that was part of my school to take a look and was confronted by someone from the sports centre who simply thought I was some weird guy spying on the kids at school. To be it probably did look weird but he chuckled when I explained I didn't even know the place had been flattened and moved & was curious as to what was left!
  • Options
    eggcheneggchen Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I walked past my childhood home the other day, made me feel a little bit sad. When you go to places you went to as a child, the first thing that hits you is how much smaller those places are than how you imagine or remember them to be.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i go through my home village on the bus to visit my boys, i`m usually in tears by the time we get to the next, it`s barely changed, still feels like my home and i wish i had not moved from it.
  • Options
    MikeJWMikeJW Posts: 3,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eggchen wrote: »
    I walked past my childhood home the other day, made me feel a little bit sad..
    Me too, for different reasons maybe. I walked passed my grandma's old flat in Wales a while ago. It was "around the back", but still by its front door, so not trespassing or anything, but the guy who lives there now came out, demanded to know what I was doing and said "we don't like strangers round here." It just seemed sad: I spent so much of my life there, but I was a stranger there, now...

Or there was walking past my other grandma's house, seeing the immaculate garden she was always working on, now a mess. And the gate was black, almost all the paint rubbed or fallen off, and just tiny bits of the original green left, if you looked really, really closely. Same thing, I suppose, a reminder of the passage of time, and not in a good way.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My parents still live in the house I grew up in so I can visit there whenever I want. No desire to go and see the schools I attended or anywhere I've lived between leaving home and my current place.

One thing I would like to do is go on a particular walk along the North Wales coast. We used to take family holidays there when I was young and I loved the walk in question. We'd go a lot, anywhere between 2-5 times a year so it's somewhere I spent a lot of time. I think it would be fun to drag my dad along as it was with him who I did most of the walks.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did once - was much smaller than I remembered it.
  • Options
    paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a kid I went on a week's holiday every year to Llandudno and have nothing but happy memories of the place.

For one reason or another I hadn't been back in almost 30 years.

Until a few weeks ago for a long weekend.

I swear that the place hadn't changed a bit! In fact it was even better than I remember.

It is truly a lovely place and I intend to revisit more often.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did and regretted it. My childhood home had a massive farmer's field adjacent to the back garden and an amazing forest known locally as "Bunny Woods", both of which were places I spent most of every summer while I was growing up.

When I returned, some 30 years later, it had all gone and was replaced by houses, every last square inch of it.
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsh1 wrote: »
    As a kid I went on a week's holiday every year to Llandudno and have nothing but happy memories of the place.

For one reason or another I hadn't been back in almost 30 years.

Until a few weeks ago for a long weekend.

I swear that the place hadn't changed a bit! In fact it was even better than I remember.

It is truly a lovely place and I intend to revisit more often.

It hasn't change much at all - the local council will not allow it except for the boulders where the beach used to be. (now known locally as The Quarry ) No plastic windows or solar panels in town, everything has to be kept as it was.
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been back to the village where I was born and grew up in
    It hasn't really changed, it's a lovely little village
    The lady who now lives in the house where I was born, invited us in.
    I went to school with her
    The scullery had gone of course, but the layout hadn't changed much
    I went to look at the school which has been converted to a lovely house, bought by a millionaire
    Looked round the graveyard, seeing the names on the headstones of people I knew, and also my fathers grave
    I've taken my children back when they were small, and grown up
    One commented it reminded him of the film "The Wicker man!"
    I know what he meant, when we went in the pub, the locals turned to look at us, silently, as strangers
    We left before we were sacrificed !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did and regretted it. My childhood home had a massive farmer's field adjacent to the back garden and an amazing forest known locally as "Bunny Woods", both of which were places I spent most of every summer while I was growing up.

When I returned, some 30 years later, it had all gone and was replaced by houses, every last square inch of it.

Bet that felt very weird ?
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Yes I have and I have been very disappointed by the changes. It was odd to discover that the home owners who were neighbours have not changed in over 40 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was odd to discover that the home owners who were neighbours have not changed in over 40 years.
    Heh. Did they recognise you?!
  • Options
    Delicous21Delicous21 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    Bit like salmon who return to where they started off..

I always visit my childhood home when I go home to see family, house seems so small, I remember all the times I played with my friends and brother and sisters, the hill we climbed, the lane we chased down, the neighbours we must have annoyed. We have stopped by the house a few times over the years.. Like ghosts returning.
    Also my Nan's house, that is always a tough one, seeing it just brings back so many memories.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I spent 12 years living away from the area so when I came back I went and looked at the home where I grew up etc. It's an ex council maisonette and I noticed it was for sale a few years ago. If I came into a very large amount of money, I'd do what I could to buy it. The area still looks pretty much the same as the day I moved away, 26 years ago. The primary school I went to was demolished last year, and before the demolition the school invited all past pupils and staff back to have one last look around before it was gone forever. My best friend and I went, and I felt quite emotional walking around and knowing it would all soon be gone. There was a clock on the wall in the main hall when I was at the school and if that was still there I was gonna ask the headteacher if I could have it. But it was gone, unfortunately. I've since discovered that another lady asked for a coat peg, which she was given. So I regret not asking for something, it would've been nice to have a something from the school. It was a great school and I have many happy memories of both the school and my childhood home.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The house where I grew up went 30 years ago. There now a Hilton Hotel in more or less the same position. Some of the features of the lake it's next to are still the same.

A few years ago my husband took the kids one night to show them where he grew up in Clapham Junction. He was followed all round the estate until he left.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    MikeJW wrote: »
    Heh. Did they recognise you?!

I was nosy and looked them on a website which I no longer use as it is no longer free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was nosy and looked them on a website which I no longer use as it is no longer free.
    Ah. That's cheating! :) But safer, I guess.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I've used google street view to look at places I used to live and old schools etc.

Not quite the same as going back there but a lot less effort.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,661
    Forum Member
    I do indeed! I grew up in a house that's about 12 miles away but because it's at the bottom of a cul de sac I don't think I've returned there since the day we left. I spent the first 8 years of my life there and I still have such familiar and fond memories of it.

I've looked at it on Google Streetview but not seen it in person. Outside it still looks practically the same, though the carport is different. I'm not sure I'd want to go inside as I'm sure it's very different to how I remember it.