Options

Great British Bake Off, 2016

Comments

• Options
    telly_addict1telly_addict1 Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    floozie_21 wrote: »
    I prefer the bolder colours. She looks like she's got foundation over her lips.

I agree, after seeing her in bolder colours without any or pale like today made her look like she's unwell. I think she's been eating too much cake and she feels as green as her meringue. I prefer she stayed with a brighter or darker lip colour.
  • Options
    KittygodfreeKittygodfree Posts: 2,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Tom deserved it on balance. Top in two challenges, only Selasi coming close in the showstopper, both lads did amazingly well on those cakes, but Tom did genoese which is hard to get right and Mary was very impressed. However in the swiss roll challenge to come Tom was again saying he had messed up so he could be in trouble again.
    Rav was the right choice to go, sweet lad but his time to go had come.
    I am not keen on the ladies this year, Jane is OK solid, but messed up her showstopper.
  • Options
    telly_addict1telly_addict1 Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Popcorn & Revels are my cinema snacks

I know what was that about, apparently Tom bakes his own fougasse and takes to the cinema to watch film with everyone watching him with his homemade bread eating there. lol.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spikewoman wrote: »
    And also it could be that many of the others have been smirking and sniggering if not throwing around double entendres but the editor decided that Candice would be the saucy one and cut the others' lewdness out.

All the accusations against Candice here are getting silly - perhaps they are getting desperate this week because they cannot complain about her lipstick. Could just as easily claim that a young man gets star baker only because Mary fancies him or the older women only because they are approaching similar age group to Mary.

As you write, we have to remember it is all heavily edited.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »

Hehehe........it's taking all my willpower, especially as they're for a Macmillan Coffee Morning.

I made sure not all the mixture made it onto the baking tray :D
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    All the accusations against Candice here are getting silly - perhaps they are getting desperate this week because they cannot complain about her lipstick. Could just as easily claim that a young man gets star baker only because Mary fancies him or the older women only because they are approaching similar age group to Mary.

As you write, we have to remember it is all heavily edited.

No, they do nothing of the sort. They just think, be it the edit or Candice herself, that it's getting ridiculous and it does her no favours.
  • Options
    floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand all the hoo-haa over Candice's pouting. She obviously doesn't realise she's doing it most of the time; I do the same when I'm concentrating.
  • Options
    SweetiecatSweetiecat Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand all the hoo-haa over Candice's pouting. She obviously doesn't realise she's doing it most of the time; I do the same when I'm concentrating.

I agree, it doesn't really bother me. I stick my tongue out when I'm concentrating and don't even realise I'm doing it most of the time.

I don't dislike Candice at all but she's not one of my favourites either, I'm pretty ambivalent to her really. I did think it was stretching it a bit though when Paul suggested she was a contender for star baker as all of her bakes had errors last night.
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    gilesb wrote: »
    Mary said her pastry and filling were excellent on the first task.

Paul said that although Tom won the technical it was all very close.

Taking in to account the disasters from Andrew, Rav, Tom and Selasi in round 1 Candice was up on them, and the tight technical where they were all pretty good.

Right, but why did Benjamina get no mention for Star Baker contention? Even with the disappointing show-stopper, she was at least on a par with Candice and I'd actually put her slightly ahead of Candice based on the first two rounds. Benjamina seemed on track for Star Baker until her middling last round. And Mary and Paul seemed positively bored when commenting on Candice's showstopper.
  • Options
    kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought benjamina was a lock for star baker until she didn't do too great in the showstopper round. i'm really glad selasi pulled it back because he is also one of my favourites. i like jane a lot more now than when the series first started. candice was in my top 3 from the first episode along with benjamina and selasi but she's slipping for me now.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    I was amazed that some of them didn't seem to know what a leaf looks like - central vein with smaller veins radiating from it. Or, if they did, couldn't relate the cuts they were being told to make as representing the veins in a leaf.
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew broke my heart when he welled up and said he didn't want to go. He reminds me so much of my gorgeous nephew who is away at Uni....I'm too personally involved I know. :blush::D. So even though I really like Rav, was relieved Andrew stayed.

Selasi just cracks me up, so laid back. Saw a great video online of little looks between him and Bejamina, like a real love story. :D

I really wasn't keen on Tom to begin with but am really warming to him. He likes to push the boundaries with his flavours, he's a bit odd...I like him!
  • Options
    Kitty_MartinezKitty_Martinez Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think all the remaining contestants have points in their favour and I'd be happy enough with any of them winning. That said, Tom is my favourite. As someone - Heavenly? - said, he is a bit odd and I always like the odd 'uns. I find normality overrated!
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think all the remaining contestants have points in their favour and I'd be happy enough with any of them winning. That said, Tom is my favourite. As someone - Heavenly? - said, he is a bit odd and I always like the odd 'uns. I find normality overrated!

Hear Hear :D
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, after seeing her in bolder colours without any or pale like today made her look like she's unwell. I think she's been eating too much cake and she feels as green as her meringue. I prefer she stayed with a brighter or darker lip colour.

Anything to say about her baking skills?
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    I was amazed that some of them didn't seem to know what a leaf looks like - central vein with smaller veins radiating from it. Or, if they did, couldn't relate the cuts they were being told to make as representing the veins in a leaf.

A word "consecutive" was thrown around, which I don't think means "parallel to each other" and also, yes, it was supposed to be a leaf. They probably go into the tent with closed eyes so that nature does not invade their heads :D
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thats true, its a subconscious thing. I just think the editors could help her out a bit and show her with a different expression occasionally. They seem to be focussing in on her pouting more than any other baker. Thats not her fault though, but I can see why it is irritating to people.
  • Options
    floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    A word "consecutive" was thrown around, which I don't think means "parallel to each other" and also, yes, it was supposed to be a leaf. They probably go into the tent with closed eyes so that nature does not invade their heads :D

Yeah to be fair, if I was to draw a leaf I would make one straight line down the middle, not one followed by another. I think that's why people were thrown off.
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,845
    Forum Member
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    Thats true, its a subconscious thing. I just think the editors could help her out a bit and show her with a different expression occasionally. They seem to be focussing in on her pouting more than any other baker. Thats not her fault though, but I can see why it is irritating to people.

When a show is pre-recorded in its entirety, its too late for her to change the things she does without even noticing it... to be honest I do the same, and we all have little ticks that we do without noticing.

If it were filmed on a week by week basis, she may well have toned it down.
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bean_of_sb wrote: »
    When a show is pre-recorded in its entirety, its too late for her to change the things she does without even noticing it... to be honest I do the same, and we all have little ticks that we do without noticing.

If it were filmed on a week by week basis, she may well have toned it down.

I wouldn't expect her to change anything herself, I just mean that the editors could use footage of her not pouting. They aren't doing her any favours by choosing to zoom in on her always doing it. The edit may make it seem like she is doing it more often than she actually does.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No surprise on Star Baker, but I was surprised at who went. It seemed clear to me that Andrew was the worst overall. There were quite a few bad bakes, but Andrew didn't seem to produce anything that would save him come the end - in fact, I thought the comments and/ or editing of the judging of his show-stopper were deliberately designed to justify why he had to go - so when Paul chucked Rav into the mix, it felt contrived, like he had to do that either to create tension, or to spare Andrew's feelings or whatever, but that Andrew would still go.

If they really thought Rav was as bad as Andrew, I wonder if they let him go on a 'count-back'? Rav's been low down the order for a few weeks now, whereas this is Andrew's first bad weekend, so maybe they figured Rav was destined to go if not this week, then probably next, whereas Andrew may well get back on form.

(Go Candice, btw. :))
  • Options
    spikewomanspikewoman Posts: 12,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    No surprise on Star Baker, but I was surprised at who went. It seemed clear to me that Andrew was the worst overall. There were quite a few bad bakes, but Andrew didn't seem to produce anything that would save him come the end - in fact, I thought the comments and/ or editing of the judging of his show-stopper were deliberately designed to justify why he had to go - so when Paul chucked Rav into the mix, it felt contrived, like he had to do that either to create tension, or to spare Andrew's feelings or whatever, but that Andrew would still go.

If they really thought Rav was as bad as Andrew, I wonder if they let him go on a 'count-back'? Rav's been low down the order for a few weeks now, whereas this is Andrew's first bad weekend, so maybe they figured Rav was destined to go if not this week, then probably next, whereas Andrew may well get back on form.

(Go Candice, btw. :))

Andrew and Rav's meringues were about on a par. Rav did better in the technical in ranking terms but Paul said there wasn't a great difference between most of them. Both their showstoppers were weakly decorated but I think the principal difference was that Andrew did three different cake mixes whereas Rav only did one.
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    parthy wrote: »
    Right, but why did Benjamina get no mention for Star Baker contention? Even with the disappointing show-stopper, she was at least on a par with Candice and I'd actually put her slightly ahead of Candice based on the first two rounds. Benjamina seemed on track for Star Baker until her middling last round. And Mary and Paul seemed positively bored when commenting on Candice's showstopper.

I am pretty sure at the end of day one/start of day two they said all the women were in contention and had all performed better than the men. I am sure I also remember them praising her citrus meringue, I am sure she was the first one they commented on and that Paul said something like "Benjamina is flying away". When they were reviewing the final show shoppers at that point Benjamina had taken herself out of it with her poor cakes. Mary commented that Candice had made more cake flavours and pulled it off which is why she was in contention, but it was hardly a resounding push for her to win star baker.
  • Options
    bratwurztbratwurzt Posts: 2,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It won't be the same without Mel & Sue

Can't wait. They try to hard to be funny and fail miserably.
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me or do Selasi and Benjamina look like a couple? It seems like they really like each other.

Glad Tom came back strongly after a horrible Pumpkin pie. Glad Selasi came back with a BEAUTIFUL showstopper as well. Candice was impressive in the sense that she managed the time well with one extra layer (was that her who kept messing up the time during showstoppers at the beginning of the series?)

Rav :( just didn't do enough. Glad my gingah boy survived.