Options

Can a Sky Q card be paired to a sky hd box

onephatonephat Posts: 898
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi
I'm looking at upgrading to Q but I take a sky hd box with me when I'm traveling (once or twice a year). Is it possible to repair the Sky viewing card back to a sky hd box when I'm out of the country or is that not possible ?

Thanks
Ben

Comments

• Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't you take your Q box with you instead?
  • Options
    MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Download your recordings to your tablet and watch. Why lug a Q box or HD box around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We go to France for a couple of weeks at a time and id rather have Live to (I watch a fair bit of cricket etc). The dish and box take up very little space compared to the benefits of having it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't you take your Q box with you instead?

I thought it has to have a specia LNB or will it run on a normal universal if your happy with limited functionality. Can you buy the new LNB and can it be signed using a normal meter?

Ben
  • Options
    rscottrscott Posts: 6,817
    Forum Member
    Q has to use the special LNB. At the moment, these aren't readily available (even 3rd party installers are having difficulties getting them).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    onephat wrote: »
    I thought it has to have a specia LNB or will it run on a normal universal if your happy with limited functionality. Can you buy the new LNB and can it be signed using a normal meter?

Ben

You would need to replace the LNB on the dish you have setup already, they are available on Ebay for about £50, if you wanted to take a gamble.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would need to replace the LNB on the dish you have setup already, they are available on Ebay for about £50, if you wanted to take a gamble.

Any ideas if standard meters work with them? Other than that I guess I could tune it with a universal then swap the LNB over but that's a bit of a lengthy process
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted
  • Options
    JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    I wish that someone would answer the OP's original question:-

Can one pair a Q card, temporarily, to a normal HD+ box?

I used to go abroad regularly on holiday to a froggy gite. Rather than undo all my cabling to the HD box it's easier to take my old Panasonic TUDSB20 with me, set up my "camping" dish and plug it all in to the owner's TV. It provided me with sufficient "live" TV for my purposes and also Radio4 via a mini transmitter to the owner's clock radio alarm to go to sleep and wake up to.

I can understand the OP's need to ask his question.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    I'm looking at upgrading to Q but I take a sky hd box with me when I'm traveling (once or twice a year). Is it possible to repair the Sky viewing card back to a sky hd box when I'm out of the country or is that not possible ?

Officially no, but unofficially yes.

I had a hybrid LNB fitted and have paired my card to my old Sky+ box (using the website) to watch old stuff we didn't have time to watch before we changed to Q.

The pairing back to Q was done automatically by the box, just following a couple of prompts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamesE wrote: »
    I wish that someone would answer the OP's original question:-

Can one pair a Q card, temporarily, to a normal HD+ box?

I used to go abroad regularly on holiday to a froggy gite. Rather than undo all my cabling to the HD box it's easier to take my old Panasonic TUDSB20 with me, set up my "camping" dish and plug it all in to the owner's TV. It provided me with sufficient "live" TV for my purposes and also Radio4 via a mini transmitter to the owner's clock radio alarm to go to sleep and wake up to.

I can understand the OP's need to ask his question.

Yeh we use a camping system comprising of a tripod mount 60cm dish and a drx890w.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Officially no, but unofficially yes.

I had a hybrid LNB fitted and have paired my card to my old Sky+ box (using the website) to watch old stuff we didn't have time to watch before we changed to Q.

The pairing back to Q was done automatically by the box, just following a couple of prompts.

Awesome. Cheers for the info
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    How did you get a hybrid LNB? -I had read that Sky were reluctant to fit these.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    How did you get a hybrid LNB? -I had read that Sky were reluctant to fit these.

I have three feeds in the lounge, two for Sky and one for my UHD TV (as well as three other rooms) and I told them when I ordered that I wasn't prepared to lose a feature that I had paid for in my TV and that I used a Freesat box in one of the bedrooms.
  • Options
    PEROYBENPEROYBEN Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Please clarify.

Can I remove the viewing card from my Sky Q box and take it to my holiday home abroad and insert it in, and pair it to my Sky plus HD box and I will receive all the channels that I subscribe to ( movies, sport etc ) in UK ?.
    I assume that i would only be able to watch one channel and record one channel at a time but that would be ok.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PEROYBEN wrote: »
    Please clarify.

Can I remove the viewing card from my Sky Q box and take it to my holiday home abroad and insert it in, and pair it to my Sky plus HD box and I will receive all the channels that I subscribe to ( movies, sport etc ) in UK ?.
    I assume that i would only be able to watch one channel and record one channel at a time but that would be ok.

Yes. You can do it via MySky, or if your Sky+HD box is connected it will pair automatically when you select a pay channel and follow the prompts.

Just been away for a month using my Sky Q card in a Sky+HD box. Automatically paired back to Sky Q on return.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes. You can do it via MySky, or if your Sky+HD box is connected it will pair automatically when you select a pay channel and follow the prompts.

Just been away for a month using my Sky Q card in a Sky+HD box. Automatically paired back to Sky Q on return.

Perfect.... Many thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member

Another problem is... when I have the card away with me,no one can record the free channels on the Sky Q box at home They can watch them but not record them. Any way round this ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PEROYBEN wrote: »
    Another problem is... when I have the card away with me,no one can record the free channels on the Sky Q box at home They can watch them but not record them. Any way round this ?

Hybrid LNB and a Freesat PVR.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hybrid LNB and a Freesat PVR.

Good idea. I will buy a PVR on Ebay and hook it up to the terrestrial aerial.:)
  • Options
    Jonny.Jonny. Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Hi

Thanks
    Ben

Yes but as others have said you will need to request a Hybrid LNB. The card paired to each box by following the onscreen instructions without any issues.

I done this recently so i could still use my sling box whilst in Mexico and re-connected back without any issues.

If i were you i would use a sling box if you have an internet connection and save the faff of keep setting up and tuning mate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    đ. wrote: »
    Yes but as others have said you will need to request a Hybrid LNB. The card paired to each box by following the onscreen instructions without any issues.

You only need a hybrid if you want to do it at home.

If the Sky+HD box is in another location, as long as it has a satellite signal it can paired via MySky.

If it has a satellite signal and it's connected to the internet, it can be paired following the on screen instructions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You only need a hybrid if you want to do it at home.

If the Sky+HD box is in another location, as long as it has a satellite signal it can paired via MySky.

If it has a satellite signal and it's connected to the internet, it can be paired following the on screen instructions.

Correct, But if he is having Q installed at home of which i believe thats his intention he will need a Hybrid to run to both for when home or away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonny. wrote: »
    Correct, But if he is having Q installed at home of which i believe thats his intention he will need a Hybrid to run to both for when home or away.

I believe he only wanted to use the HD box when travelling, not whilst at home (what would be the point, when you have a SkyQ system, which you wouldn't be able to use if you have put your card into the old HD box?).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To use as a multi-room box, Think i may have misinterpreted, He obviously has 2 dishes if he's traveling then.