Options

The best buiness brains the country has to offer????

davejc64davejc64 Posts: 6,077
Forum Member
Every year we are fed the line that these people are the best business brains the country has to offer and every year they prove themselves to be a bunch of clueless incompetents, most of them already have well paid jobs and seem to be doing quite well for themselves, how about giving a chance to some of the less fortunate instead give them the chance to shine and get noticed they certainly couldn't do any worse.

Comments

• Options
    cpikey316_cpikey316_ Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like Jeremy Kyle starring middle class people. Designed for us to point and laugh.

How some of these people get another high paying job after the process is a mystery to me, its the amount of bulls*it they can peddle.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the first few series not so long ago and was astonished at the difference. Candidates were intelligent and tasks completed to the best of their ability, which was usually very well.

Now it's buffoons flailing from one disaster to another. Screeching like children and throwing their toys out the pram between repeated failures.

But then I suppose after his fee and any cut of advertising 250k is pocket money to Lord Sugar so he can afford to run a TV circus for a few weeks a year as opposed to looking for someone to work in his company.
  • Options
    lammtarralammtarra Posts: 4,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    I watched the first few series not so long ago and was astonished at the difference. Candidates were intelligent and tasks completed to the best of their ability, which was usually very well.

Now it's buffoons flailing from one disaster to another. Screeching like children and throwing their toys out the pram between repeated failures.

But then I suppose after his fee and any cut of advertising 250k is pocket money to Lord Sugar so he can afford to run a TV circus for a few weeks a year as opposed to looking for someone to work in his company.

Lord Sugar's fee goes to charity and there is no advertising on the BBC but he is a billionaire so yes, £250k is loose change.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Back in the early days, most of the candidates had 'proper' jobs and were looking to better themselves and learn from Alan Sugar.
    Nowadays, many of them sell tat on ebay and call themselves entrepreneurs. As they seem to run small businesses from their bedrooms, half of them have no idea how to work with other people and the attempts at teamwork are a shambles
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched The Apprentice right from the start but I've had enough of it now. I switched off the last episode half way through and deleted the series link. What started as a reasonably serious business exercise has been evolving into a pure entertainment show for the last few years but it has gone too far now. I have`got better things to do with my time than waste it with a bunch of unlikable egotists.

I'm out
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I personally wouldn't employ any of the "c*ckwombles" and certainly wouldn't want to work with any of them, talk about "knife in the back". The only one from this bunch I like is Rob (I think) the guy who lead the men in the first task.

It comes to something when candidates don't understand what "unisex" means and even worse have to have it explained!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's become less about them wanting to win and get the £250k backing from Lord Sugar and more about getting themselves on TV and noticed with the aim of becoming the next Katie Hopkins type.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally wouldn't employ any of the "c*ckwombles" and certainly wouldn't want to work with any of them, talk about "knife in the back". The only one from this bunch I like is Rob (I think) the guy who lead the men in the first task.

It comes to something when candidates don't understand what "unisex" means and even worse have to have it explained!!

You have to wonder if some of them see celebs who are famous and wealthy from pretending to be thick, and think they'd like a crack at it. Joey Essex, Helen Flanagan, and Adam Sandler to name a few. I'm not saying they're geniuses, but I think it's definitely an act.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    davejc64 wrote: »
    It's become less about them wanting to win and get the £250k backing from Lord Sugar and more about getting themselves on TV and noticed with the aim of becoming the next Katie Hopkins type.

talk about having low expectations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »
    talk about having low expectations.

I agree, but it does seem to pay well and I suspect that's all most of them are interested in.
  • Options
    Bless YouBless You Posts: 4,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This years lot seem to be the worst.
  • Options
    Cats_EyesCats_Eyes Posts: 20,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fred Karno's Circus to be precise.
  • Options
    SalcySalcy Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, but it does seem to pay well and I suspect that's all most of them are interested in.

Yes, Luisa Zizzman seems to be doing the same thing. Except she's decided to go the taking your clothes off route.

I remember thinking last year that if these are the brightest and best business brains in the country it was time to emigrate! It's telling that both this year and last, there were people who didn't look like they wanted to be there after the first few tasks. Didn't someone walk out last year? Shows the calibre of contestant has gone down, so they are getting people on for the wrong reasons. They then can't cope with the rigours of the show and go home to think of an easier way to get on telly!
  • Options
    Cats_EyesCats_Eyes Posts: 20,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every year we are fed the line that these people are the best business brains the country has to offer and every year they prove themselves to be a bunch of clueless incompetents, most of them already have well paid jobs and seem to be doing quite well for themselves, how about giving a chance to some of the less fortunate instead give them the chance to shine and get noticed they certainly couldn't do any worse.

Not too often you and I agree Dave but I agree with every word on this :)
  • Options
    Joel_BJoel_B Posts: 164
    Forum Member

It's the "best business brains" who:

* Are ok with themselves being subject to ridicule and their private lives in the tabloids
    * Are prepared to live with other people like themselves for x months
    * Don't have anything better to do for x months
    * Are ok with their business plans being trash talked on TV
    * Are ok with their comments being taken out of context and edited to look bad/good/whatever

Once you have these filters it's kind of obvious only obnoxious people would want to be on it by now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Salcy wrote: »
    Yes, Luisa Zizzman seems to be doing the same thing. Except she's decided to go the taking your clothes off route.

I remember thinking last year that if these are the brightest and best business brains in the country it was time to emigrate! It's telling that both this year and last, there were people who didn't look like they wanted to be there after the first few tasks. Didn't someone walk out last year? Shows the calibre of contestant has gone down, so they are getting people on for the wrong reasons. They then can't cope with the rigours of the show and go home to think of an easier way to get on telly!

Yes it's all about getting themselves on TV because these days a few minutes on TV seems to allow people to be called 'celebrities' and therefore gain access to appearing on other TV shows or other forms of media as paid celebrities. :D
  • Options
    dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I've watched The Apprentice right from the start but I've had enough of it now. I switched off the last episode half way through and deleted the series link. What started as a reasonably serious business exercise has been evolving into a pure entertainment show for the last few years but it has gone too far now. I have`got better things to do with my time than waste it with a bunch of unlikable egotists.

I'm out

What truly awful people they are,and the candidates themselves are equally as bad.I think this program has now peaked,and I'm also ditching it.
  • Options
    fluffysheep123fluffysheep123 Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »

I'm out

To be fair I think it's always been an entertainment show first and foremost. Even the early seasons had quite a few "unlikable egotists" or people who were primarily chosen because they make good TV e.g. Rory Liang, Paul Torrisi.

If instead producers just genuinely picked the smartest businessmen they find then it would just be dull because it would lose the drama and comedy which is a big part of what attracts people to the show. To appreciate shows like The Apprentice and X Factor you have to see them for what they are - reality TV entertainment.
  • Options
    KruleKrule Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    To be fair I think it's always been an entertainment show first and foremost. Even the early seasons had quite a few "unlikable egotists" or people who were primarily chosen because they make good TV e.g. Rory Liang, Paul Torrisi.

If instead producers just genuinely picked the smartest businessmen they find then it would just be dull because it would lose the drama and comedy which is a big part of what attracts people to the show. To appreciate shows like The Apprentice and X Factor you have to see them for what they are - reality TV entertainment.

There is some truth in what you say; but if it simply disintegrates into tacky reality TV it'll naturally lose a substantial portion of its viewers, to the point that it may be taken off air.

Firstly, I don't agree that genuine business people would be boring to watch. The very format of the show - pitching candidates against each other in challenging business tasks - is a great formula that would always have drama and clashes.

The earlier series had a good mix - serious candidates, as well as a few "characters" thrown in to stir things up. The problems is over the years, they've brought in far too many purely attention seeking reality TV star wannabes. The fact that the girl who got fired last week has never even seen the show says a lot about what kind of people are getting on. Last year Solomon admitted after the show he's been trying to get into Made in Chelsea.

So many reality TV shows seem to be following a similar trend. Starting off with the original, Big Brother, which started off with remotely sane people, and in later seasons turned into a complete circus freak show. X Factor, which in recent years is all about judges just fighting (or rather, very very poorly acting as if they're fighting to just get more audience figures) or sob stories.

That's the reason I turned off those shows, and sadly is the reason i'll probably stop watching the Apprentice soon.
  • Options
    fluffysheep123fluffysheep123 Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Krule wrote: »
    The problems is over the years, they've brought in far too many purely attention seeking reality TV star wannabes.

I think again this type of candidate has been present in the early seasons too - take Katie Hopkins for instance (although the frequency of such candidates may have increased). I think a noteworthy point about shows like The Apprentice and X Factor is that at first, people believed it was a genuine search for talent. But over time more and more people have caught on that they are actually just entertainment shows. So although the "entertainment" part may have increased or is more noticeable now, I think the entertainment part has always been there but only in the later seasons have people been realising it.

Regarding losing viewers, people talk about falling ratings and a dying audience but both shows are still extremely popular - so a lot of people (including myself) still find entertainment in these shows. But I can understand why it might annoy some viewers.
  • Options
    KruleKrule Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    I think again this type of candidate has been present in the early seasons too - take Katie Hopkins for instance (although the frequency of such candidates may have increased). I think a noteworthy point about shows like The Apprentice and X Factor is that at first, people believed it was a genuine search for talent. But over time more and more people have caught on that they are actually just entertainment shows. So although the "entertainment" part may have increased or is more noticeable now, I think the entertainment part has always been there but only in the later seasons have people been realising it.

Regarding losing viewers, people talk about falling ratings and a dying audience but both shows are still extremely popular - so a lot of people (including myself) still find entertainment in these shows. But I can understand why it might annoy some viewers.

The difference is whether they are popular shows enjoyed by the masses or simply another lame reality TV show full of talentless egotists being watched by a far smaller audience.

For them to be popular, there has to be an element of genuineness about it. The whole premise of these shows, and why they were some of the most popular shows on TV, is that they were a "talent search", for business, singers, etc. Of course as you say there was always an entertainment element, and the editors will always ensure that they edit it to make it as fun as possible.

But just from casual observation, the focus has shifted dramatically in recent years. And it's become palpably visible, as evidenced by many of the comments on this forum.

Shows can always still exist, and there is always some appetite for people that like to watch garbage, but the point is it exists in a different form.

Big brother is nothing but a figment of what it was when it first started out.

Another example is WWF wrestling. Everyone used to watch it in the 90s when they believed there was an element of genuineness about it. But when people realised that it's all fake, with poor actors pretending to create drama... it still exists, but in a substantially reduced capacity
  • Options
    nats18nats18 Posts: 8,238
    Forum Member
    The best business brains are actually all busy trying to get their businesses working. So we now have the wannabe reality show contestants. I missed it due to being on holiday so have only just watched the first ep the girls this year are really screechy not sure I can be bothered with it. They'll give me a headache
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's like 'Miss World' when I would think 'I've seen prettier girls on the train, or in the office'

A certain sort of person applies, and the producers only want a certain sort of person.

Best brains in the country- No.
  • Options
    DaveMBADaveMBA Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    However, having worked in London, I can tell you that there are plenty of people like them - just a different kind of wannabe. Some of the nicer people are just makeweights and are just there while the characters get established - Alana and Oliver.

It would do better to come off for a while and return with a genuine apprentice opportunity, which would show the reality of work - at the moment too many kids want easy money as "celebs" so such shows will attract them. Mind you, for all those saying it was better in the past, try tuning in to Sky news for silly Michelle Dewberry spouting off. Many of the others are "motivational speakers" and "consultants" these days.
  • Options
    Bob_KnoobbBob_Knoobb Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every year we are fed the line that these people are the best business brains the country has to offer and every year they prove themselves to be a bunch of clueless incompetents

I doubt the producers during the selection process are really looking for the candidates with the best business acumen and potential. I think it is more likely that they are looking for characters that will stand out in reality TV terms. It's the same reason I suspect why some of the donks aren't voted of really early and are kept in purely to cause carnage for ratings purposes (e.g. Karthik). Also I am sure like others have already said that the editing process can make competent people seem incompetent and vice versa.