Options

King Tut - more ITV crap

Horza's DroneHorza's Drone Posts: 828
Forum Member
✭✭
It's awful!! I wasn't expecting much but, god, it's abysmal.

Comments

• Options
    chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    It's awful!! I wasn't expecting much but, god, it's abysmal.

Bit of sunday night fluff whilst I'm prepping for work , I dont mind
  • Options
    PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,796
    Forum Member
    Agree, terrible dialogue:(
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    When they gave a warning to expect nudity I didn't expect that kind. :D
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    its boring so far. Kevin o'sullivan said it was good. Wished id started watching poldark but bit late now.
    King Tut on channel five few months ago was exciting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that was dreadful. Jeremy Irons jnr as Carter was beyond woeful. I've already deleted the series link. How does ITV keep serving up this rubbish? Jericho was awful too.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Whatever about the actual tomb, looks like this show was definitely cursed....to drive away viewers. :D
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Well that was dreadful. Jeremy Irons jnr as Carter was beyond woeful. I've already deleted the series link. How does ITV keep serving up this rubbish? Jericho was awful too.

Ah, is that who he was, seemed more sulky boy band member then highly educated archaeologist.
  • Options
    kenny brockellykenny brockelly Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, is that who he was, seemed more sulky boy band member then highly educated archaeologist.

Howard Carter was 48 when he found Tutankhamun, the male model playing him is 30. Also Howard Carter didn't have a relationship with some yank archaeologist.

So ITV have dumbed it down, whoever whudda thunk it?
  • Options
    spikewomanspikewoman Posts: 12,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chloeb wrote: »
    Bit of sunday night fluff whilst I'm prepping for work , I dont mind

Yes indeed. Just the sort of easy watching after slaving over Sunday roast for the family and having loaded the dishwasher the second time. Flop out on sofa with a cuppa, just the job.
  • Options
    Baz_JamesBaz_James Posts: 4,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jericho was awful too.

And today's desperate agenda driven non-sequitur of the day goes to ....
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gave up after 15 mins and I'm an Egyptology obsessive.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the question most people will be asking is..why bother ? How many more dramas about the finding of King Tut's tomb do we need ?
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    Howard Carter was 48 when he found Tutankhamun, the male model playing him is 30. Also Howard Carter didn't have a relationship with some yank archaeologist.

Everything has to have a "romantic" slant to it these days.
    Facts are irrelevant.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it. It was nicely paced and managed to maintain suspense, not easy when we all know he found the tomb. They also presented a collection of eccentrics who were amusing.
    It was fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever about the actual tomb, looks like this show was definitely cursed....to drive away viewers. :D

I predict a ratings disaster by the third episode. I've rarely seen anything so poor, although Doctor Thorne was close.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We really must protest and while we're at it, we should complain about them making Queen Victoria look like a babe. Absolutely shocking!
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,965
    Forum Member
    We really must protest and while we're at it, we should complain about them making Queen Victoria look like a babe. Absolutely shocking!
    He has a point though about changing Carter from middle aged man to young thrusting whipper snapper. That's just ridiculous! American connection is in there for US sales so that Americans viewers can think we were there too. They like that!
  • Options
    Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not actually a babe though. A quite attractive actress who would look so much better if she sorted out her overgrown eyebrows.
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    I saw this advertised but didn't watch it. The first thought that came to mind when I saw the trailer was how are they going to get round showing Lord Carnarvon's home when it's extensively recognised as Downton Abbey?
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    The story started in 1905, and he found the tomb in 1922. So he will presumably get older during the series.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    He has a point though about changing Carter from middle aged man to young thrusting whipper snapper. That's just ridiculous! American connection is in there for US sales so that Americans viewers can think we were there too. They like that!

At the end of the programme it was 1914 so Carter would have been 40 then if he found the tomb in 1922. I wouldn't call 40 middle aged!
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When they gave a warning to expect nudity I didn't expect that kind. :D

No, I was hoping for a Poldark style shirtless and gorgeous Carter. Sadly, he's not gorgeous. :(
    academia wrote: »
    I enjoyed it. It was nicely paced and managed to maintain suspense, not easy when we all know he found the tomb. They also presented a collection of eccentrics who were amusing.
    It was fine.

Yes, I liked it, in spite of inaccuracies.

I thought the feeling Carter had for the Egyptian artefacts was well brought out. Something you either get or you don't. I could believe the cat coffin was real, even though I knew it was just a prop. I could feel his anguish and frustration when he had to leave.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    King Tut on channel five few months ago was exciting.

And complete dross. As well as being about something totally different.
    I think the question most people will be asking is..why bother ? How many more dramas about the finding of King Tut's tomb do we need ?

I haven't seen one before. Documentaries, yes - dramas, no.
  • Options
    saffiewalkssaffiewalks Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this advertised but didn't watch it. The first thought that came to mind when I saw the trailer was how are they going to get round showing Lord Carnarvon's home when it's extensively recognised as Downton Abbey?

Well, we might get to Downton Abbey (which I never watched - too boring) but actually it's set in Egypt, as one would expect.