Options

Not seen a decent 'modern' film for ages

Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
Forum Member
✭✭
Maybe I am old fashioned but I prefer the old way of making films. There just seemed to be something about them that is more compelling than the stuff they make today.

Better plots, scripts and acting.

I think I could count on one hand the really good films I have seen over the last two years. I have made many attempts, but I just quit most new films within half an hour.

Maybe that is too premature but why should I waste an extra hour of my life if I am not getting the film's vibe.:p

I've tried to watch a number of films this year and most of them I have forgotten the titles, never mind what they were about and who was in them.

Recently I tried the new Star Trek film. I am a big fan of the original Star Trek and for me it's just superior in every way to the rebooted attempts.

But the new ST film this year, I gave up on it after 20 minutes. It was mind-numbingly dull, and looked cheap and rubbish. Bad CGI. Casting is also terrible. I mean seriously who ever thought Simon Pegg would make a good Scotty??? It's an insult to the original character and more importantly the actor who played him. Pegg even plays it as a skit. A joke. A ***s take.

Other rubbish films I made an attempt on were Ghostbusters, The Jungle Book, The BFG, Jason Borne, The Mechanic 2, etc. All dull. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

So it was back to a classic film last night, The Great Escape (1963). :D 10/10.

Comments

• Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well you obviously haven't seen Predestination then.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Maybe I am old fashioned but I prefer the old way of making films. There just seemed to be something about them that is more compelling than the stuff they make today.

Better plots, scripts and acting.

I think I could count on one hand the really good films I have seen over the last two years. I have made many attempts, but I just quit most new films within half an hour.

Maybe that is too premature but why should I waste an extra hour of my life if I am not getting the film's vibe.:p

I've tried to watch a number of films this year and most of them I have forgotten the titles, never mind what they were about and who was in them.

Recently I tried the new Star Trek film. I am a big fan of the original Star Trek and for me it's just superior in every way to the rebooted attempts.

But the new ST film this year, I gave up on it after 20 minutes. It was mind-numbingly dull, and looked cheap and rubbish. Bad CGI. Casting is also terrible. I mean seriously who ever thought Simon Pegg would make a good Scotty??? It's an insult to the original character and more importantly the actor who played him. Pegg even plays it as a skit. A joke. A ***s take.

Other rubbish films I made an attempt on were Ghostbusters, The Jungle Book, The BFG, Jason Borne, The Mechanic 2, etc. All dull. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

I have some sympathy, modern films seem to be simple reboots or copies of old films that didn't need a remake in the first place.

The remake of the Italian Job was awful as was Flight of the Phoenix. Why for example did they need to remake Flight of the Phoenix? The old film had a great cast plot and the effects were even quite well done for the year.

OK I know, there were no women or ethnic minorities in it. White male cast so we can't have that.

Seems to be these days every movie has to have a tick box or right on PC correctness to fill or it won't get made, these films end up with a terrible cast poor plots and a political message that is as subtle as a dog dumping in the middle of a Wimbledon tennis court.

If the Great Escape were to be made today we'd have half the cast women with the baddies all white males and the good buys all black with a lesbian as the hero (one legged of course)

The jokes would be all right on PC Hollywood crap that no one outside the BBC or Guardian would find funny.

There just seems to be a lack of invention in Hollywood, I did enjoy the Martian it was well made but is really a remake of Robinson Crusoe, most of the humour and music references were from the book that were kept in (for example the Lord of the Rings bit which was made funnier by Sean Bean being there) and there in lies the problem.

Far too often films based on books do get changed for political reasons I mentioned above just to satisfy the tick box studio mentality.
  • Options
    DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree. Said it before but Hollywood has lost it big time over the last few years. Box Office has been down across the board which also shows the viewing public are getting fed up with the endless poor quality remakes, reboots and comic book heroes hitting one another across exploding cities. Especially when it is so expensive to go to the cinema now.

Food for thought: The latest Dan Brown adaptation Inferno has become a sleeper hit and Sony's first "Blockbuster" since Spectre. Before it was even released in in the US, it has taken in $50 million (it "only" cost £75million to make so has almost made its budget back from overseas alone) and outperformed the likes of latest Jason Bourne:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/10/17/box-office-tom-hanks-inferno-may-be-sonys-first-blockbuster-since-spectre/#795bb4a67cd7

Now I don't know what people think of Dan Brown novels and I'm not here to discuss it. But does it perhaps indicate that there’s a big potential audience out there that want to watch something other than the reboots and comic book hero films? Hollywood please take note, you might make some money.

And the Great Escape. They certainly don't make 'em like that anymore (more's the pity ;-)).
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the Great Escape. They certainly don't make 'em like that anymore (more's the pity ;-)).
    But if they did you'd whinge about lack of originality.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say out of the blockbusters this year Captain America is easily the best , Trek 3 really is dire , the best one last year was Tomorrowland , but it was a huge flop
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An effect of the combination of an ageing population and the studios using the dependable.

I enjoyed Birdman, Bridge of Spies, Gravity, Inside Out, The Martian, Grand Budapest Hotel, Dope, Big Hero 6 and Tomorrowland. Many modern biopics are gripping - Theory of Everything, Straight Outta Compton, Get On Up.

TV is better in this day and age, however. It's better in my opinion because ideas and thoughts aren't condensed to 90 to 120 minutes. There is a lot more time to work with.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I avoid blockbusters and always seek out indies, low budgets or just films that don't always rely on star attractions, special effects and everything else.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Interesting films are being made - but, I don't think they're coming from Hollywood. I think it's more the indie scene that's making them. Although, saying that - I thought that "Gone Girl" was very good, and that was a studio film.
  • Options
    TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell or High Water.

.....that is all.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hateful eight was very good. Im watching it, now.....
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why I like 'Amazon Prime Video'. They don't have big blockbusters but they have a lot of hidden gems if you look hard enough. Some of my favourites are 'The Book Thief', 'Remember', 'The hundred year old man that climbed out a window and disappeared' and surprisingly 'Paddington'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    But if they did you'd whinge about lack of originality.

Well of course! ;-)

I just like things to be as good as they can be. I'm very liberal minded really, I don't mind what genre something is long as its good. I just feel that Hollywood execs are scrapping the bottom of the barrel at the moment in their desperation to remake anything they can on the chance there might be tuppence in it. Further example: I heard they are apparently re-making Death Wish...it could be a masterpiece...but I somehow doubt it...

Hateful Eight is an interesting one, I quite liked it but it does seem to be a bit marmite for some. But at least it was something original ;-).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    This is why I like 'Amazon Prime Video'. They don't have big blockbusters but they have a lot of hidden gems if you look hard enough. Some of my favourites are 'The Book Thief', 'Remember', 'The hundred year old man that climbed out a window and disappeared' and surprisingly 'Paddington'.

The Book Thief-never got around to watching the film but enjoyed the book, as it was yet again: something original.
  • Options
    Lamin_AtorLamin_Ator Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee_Smith2 wrote: »
    An effect of the combination of an ageing population and the studios using the dependable.

I enjoyed Birdman, Bridge of Spies, Gravity, Inside Out, The Martian, Grand Budapest Hotel, Dope, Big Hero 6 and Tomorrowland. Many modern biopics are gripping - Theory of Everything, Straight Outta Compton, Get On Up.

TV is better in this day and age, however. It's better in my opinion because ideas and thoughts aren't condensed to 90 to 120 minutes. There is a lot more time to work with.

but they had to fill that one up with black actors just to be politically correct , I'm surprised they didn't make Dre be played by a one armed female Irish Jew with a wooden leg.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have some sympathy, modern films seem to be simple reboots or copies of old films that didn't need a remake in the first place.

The remake of the Italian Job was awful as was Flight of the Phoenix. Why for example did they need to remake Flight of the Phoenix? The old film had a great cast plot and the effects were even quite well done for the year.

OK I know, there were no women or ethnic minorities in it. White male cast so we can't have that.

Seems to be these days every movie has to have a tick box or right on PC correctness to fill or it won't get made, these films end up with a terrible cast poor plots and a political message that is as subtle as a dog dumping in the middle of a Wimbledon tennis court.

If the Great Escape were to be made today we'd have half the cast women with the baddies all white males and the good buys all black with a lesbian as the hero (one legged of course)

The jokes would be all right on PC Hollywood crap that no one outside the BBC or Guardian would find funny.

There just seems to be a lack of invention in Hollywood, I did enjoy the Martian it was well made but is really a remake of Robinson Crusoe, most of the humour and music references were from the book that were kept in (for example the Lord of the Rings bit which was made funnier by Sean Bean being there) and there in lies the problem.

Far too often films based on books do get changed for political reasons I mentioned above just to satisfy the tick box studio mentality.
    i find the idea of usa gung ho type films appealing to guardian readers somewhat weird .......
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well then, i guess we're all ken loach fans, huh ?
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    Well then, i guess we're all ken loach fans, huh ?

No, even he doesn't make them like he used to 😟
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    i find the idea of usa gung ho type films appealing to guardian readers somewhat weird .......

They seem to throw a lot in there to appease critics of that type, no matter how dumb the film is. In fact I'm probably starting to see more PC type moralising and platitudes in sci-fi, action, and superhero films than in simply good well written films. Not that blockbuster films can't be intelligent and well written, but you know what I mean.
    It's like "I know that we're doing gratuitously violent action films with hot women in them, but look, we've got messages in them too which gets us off the hook".

Lower budget or Indie films seem to tend to fare a bit better and tend to have more interesting ideas which leave you to think more. Not always, but you do find some great low budget films which put the big expensive CGI movies to shame in the writing department.
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,695
    Forum Member
    It seems to be an inevitable side-effect of growing older that this, that or the other is 'not as good as it used to be'. Films are not exempt from such contemplation. I'm sure there are some mental activities you could try to attempt to reverse such calcification.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark A wrote: »
    It seems to be an inevitable side-effect of growing older that this, that or the other is 'not as good as it used to be'. Films are not exempt from such contemplation. I'm sure there are some mental activities you could try to attempt to reverse such calcification.

Probably true to some extent. As I get older I become less and less tolerant of musical interludes in films. You know the kind of thing: the central character goes out with his or her mates and we have a loud dance music soundtrack to a sequence of knocking back shots, dancing badly, falling over, someone being sick etc. In the past few weeks Bridget Jones's Baby and Bad Moms have both done this.

Neither was a particularly bad film (in fact Bad Moms is a pretty sharp comedy) but both would have been better without the musical montages. Or would the target audience have thought they were much worse without the hilarious music sequences?
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark A wrote: »
    No, no, I totally refute that suggestion. If I don't like the same sort of films, TV shows, music or books that I did fifteen or even ten years ago, it's because the industry has changed, not me. Same with alcohol and spicy food. I can't handle it as well as I used to, which to me is proof that they obviously have to make it all stronger to disguise the fact it's got no taste these days. It's not simply that I'm getting older and my tastes and tolerences - in all things - have changed. How very dare you suggest otherwise. >:(

;-)
  • Options
    The AmazingThe Amazing Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So your 'attempt' at finding a movie comparable to the classics of yesteryear was to only watch blockbusters, all of which had poor to middling reviews and/or are remakes/sequels?
  • Options
    TheAngryGermanTheAngryGerman Posts: 1,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not looking proper.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the best drama to be found is on TV these days, which is why so many big names are keen to appear on the small screen - which used not to be the case.

Hollywood has sold out, they regurgitate the same films over and over again (how many Marvel films can they make before people realise they are watching the same story over and over again - having said that, people pay to watch Bond do the same thing every couple of years :D).

I was watching a round-table, I enjoy watching actors talk about their craft, and it was interesting to hear them agree on the point that the best drama to be found, along with great acting, scriptwriting, production, etc., is on TV now.

ETA: That's not to say there aren't great films to be found, of course there are - I enjoy seeking them out too, many of which don't make it to the mainstream cinema, but there is also so much dross aimed at grown-up children.
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Interstellar