Options

Barbara Windsor is furious with SOC

Fred2Fred2 Posts: 82
Forum Member
She is furious with SOC for axing Ronnie and Roxy. He should listen to Ms Windsor. Axing them is a mistake!!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/2049362/eastenders-legend-barbara-windsor-slams-new-boss-over-ronnie-and-roxie-mitchell-axing/

Comments

• Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Resting the characters isnt a bad idea, killing them is absolute MADNESS!!!
    Especially if its some ridiculous swimming pool stunt as reported.
    Eastenders is absolutely appalling at the moment and im not buying this crap about a 'transition' period. BBC need to step in before we have another Birkwood saga.
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She should keep her nose out, she is not bigger than the show. The fortnight she came back this year, cooked up as pure fan fiction between her and her mate Incompetent DTC, was utterly embarrassing television, had nothing to do with Eastenders, and everything to do with patting themselves on the back.

Yes, Eastenders is demonstrably shit right now. But no, Windsors opinion counts for nothing.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roxy and Ronnie are pass their sell by date, I'm happy with SOC decision. She probably furious she can't just click her fingers and have her way like she did with dtc.
    Characters get axed all the time, Roxy and Ronnie are not golden characters who make the show, they bore the life out of me and I can't wait for them to piss off
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She had a point about Kirkwood axing the magnificent Pat Butcher, a character who could enrich a scene simply by spouting a one liner. But this time, she's wrong. There's nothing left to see with Ronnie and Roxy. Been there, done it all, worn the blood stained t-shirt. Roxy is a pointless hanger on who barely appears as it is and Ronnie has truly been run into the ground with far fetched storylines one after the other. They don't add anything to the show either nostalgically or presently except for taking up a wage that could be spent on hiring better writers and, sorry Sam Womack, better actors. Womack's been phoning it in for years and Simons can't act beyond SHOUTING EVERY LINE.

Of course the actresses don't want to leave. Where else are they going to get payed that much money to act badly and take extended breaks every few months? EastEnders is stale and needs an overhaul of cast and writers. No point keeping played out characters just to make up the numbers. Spend that BBC cash where it's needed. There's a risk with axing established characters but sometimes they just come to the end of the road and it's flogging a dead horse to keep them around. Perhaps some people will quit watching now that R&R are leaving but I can't see it being a big enough portion of viewers to cause a significant decline in ratings. Ronnie hasn't been popular for years and I don't think Roxy was ever a huge draw for viewers.

To be fair, Phil, one of my previous faves, has truly become tedious to watch and I'd understand the decision to write him out at this point. At the very least someone should give him a really good kicking and put him in his place because he's been begging for it for ages.
  • Options
    Lady VoldemortLady Voldemort Posts: 10,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What, he didn't consult the National Treasure on his plans for the show? :o
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    She seems to think that if an actor is playing a Mitchell they should have a meal ticket for life. How I'd love him to axe Phil...she'd have an apoplectic shock.😲😇
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Babs really thinks the show revolves around her sometimes. Ronnie and Roxy are characters that have long since gone stale, why should 'the door be left open' for them? I'm personally bored of the door being left open just for every second character to pitch up again 5-10 years later for a lacklustre 'return' - and just because the actor in question is falling behind on their mortgage repayments.
  • Options
    EastenderstreetEastenderstreet Posts: 3,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    She seems to think that if an actor is playing a Mitchell they should have a meal ticket for life. How I'd love him to axe Phil...she'd have an apoplectic shock.😲😇

oh how id like to see her putting that one in her pipe and smoking it :D:D
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Babs really thinks the show revolves around her sometimes. Ronnie and Roxy are characters that have long since gone stale, why should 'the door be left open' for them? I'm personally bored of the door being left open just for every second character to pitch up again 5-10 years later for a lacklustre 'return' - and just because the actor in question is falling behind on their mortgage repayments.

I agree.

In the 90's if a character left it was usually assumed it was for good. It added to the tension and drama of their exits. Little did we know most of them would come back repeatedly forevermore:D

I think it's time to start slamming the door shut on returnees. They've brought back pretty much everyone who could conceivably return anyway. Exits and returns of the same characters every few years loses impact in both cases. It's taken years for Sharon to become halfway decent again after a flop 2nd comeback and if I never see Bianca, Kat and Alfie again it'll be too soon. Just move on ffs, EastEnders! You've got most of the important characters like Stacey, Martin, Ben, Sharon, Kathy, Ian, Dot, the Philth (if we must), etc. who are relevant to current day EastEnders so don't dredge up Bianca and Kalfie again! Let those ships sail away into oblivion!

I'll make an exception for Janine. And Chrissie Watts. And maybe David Wicks but that's it!>:(
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think it's a shame that a firing squad didn't sink a few rounds into Margeret's coffin from every angle, just so there's absolutely no chance of her getting Kathy'd.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree. They are stale characters who have gone round in circles, she really thinks so highly of herself and the Mitchells.
  • Options
    Mr PatrickMr Patrick Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As Much as I love Babs I think your right especially after she announced that she wanted to kill off Peggy and when they did she announced that she wanted to return
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    Resting the characters isnt a bad idea, killing them is absolute MADNESS!!!
    Especially if its some ridiculous swimming pool stunt as reported.
    Eastenders is absolutely appalling at the moment and im not buying this crap about a 'transition' period. BBC need to step in before we have another Birkwood saga.

So it's an actual swimming pool what they die in? I thought it meant they would be using a pool for the stunt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree.

In the 90's if a character left it was usually assumed it was for good. It added to the tension and drama of their exits. Little did we know most of them would come back repeatedly forevermore:D

I think it's time to start slamming the door shut on returnees. They've brought back pretty much everyone who could conceivably return anyway. Exits and returns of the same characters every few years loses impact in both cases. It's taken years for Sharon to become halfway decent again after a flop 2nd comeback and if I never see Bianca, Kat and Alfie again it'll be too soon. Just move on ffs, EastEnders! You've got most of the important characters like Stacey, Martin, Ben, Sharon, Kathy, Ian, Dot, the Philth (if we must), etc. who are relevant to current day EastEnders so don't dredge up Bianca and Kalfie again! Let those ships sail away into oblivion!

I'll make an exception for Janine. And Chrissie Watts. And maybe David Wicks but that's it!>:(

EE seems determined to rest on the laurels of its past glories. Can you think of any decent memorable NEW characters that have come into the show in the last 5 years, because I struggle. The show needs to move forward and not, as you rightly say, keep undermining characters' exits. I firmly believe when a character serves their purpose they should go, and stay gone. Some characters are just not meant to be long-term.

Agree completely about Sharon, her return has been very choppy, as has Kathy's.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Ronnie and Roxie are stale and being killed off, then EE really ought to get rid of Lauren Branning because if anyone's boring and stale - she is. Not sure about Abby. She seems to have a little more mileage left.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,300
    Forum Member
    I wish she'd keep her opinions to herself. Right or wrong decision, it isn't hers to make. She comes across as far too up herself and dismissive of others professional worth, for example when she rewrote the script for Phil's hospital scenes 2 years ago, publically brabdibg the original as rubbish.

Just because we now have an EP who doesn't worship at the alter of the Mitchells.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She had a point about Kirkwood axing the magnificent Pat Butcher, a character who could enrich a scene simply by spouting a one liner. But this time, she's wrong. There's nothing left to see with Ronnie and Roxy. Been there, done it all, worn the blood stained t-shirt. Roxy is a pointless hanger on who barely appears as it is and Ronnie has truly been run into the ground with far fetched storylines one after the other. They don't add anything to the show either nostalgically or presently except for taking up a wage that could be spent on hiring better writers and, sorry Sam Womack, better actors. Womack's been phoning it in for years and Simons can't act beyond SHOUTING EVERY LINE.

Of course the actresses don't want to leave. Where else are they going to get payed that much money to act badly and take extended breaks every few months? EastEnders is stale and needs an overhaul of cast and writers. No point keeping played out characters just to make up the numbers. Spend that BBC cash where it's needed. There's a risk with axing established characters but sometimes they just come to the end of the road and it's flogging a dead horse to keep them around. Perhaps some people will quit watching now that R&R are leaving but I can't see it being a big enough portion of viewers to cause a significant decline in ratings. Ronnie hasn't been popular for years and I don't think Roxy was ever a huge draw for viewers.

To be fair, Phil, one of my previous faves, has truly become tedious to watch and I'd understand the decision to write him out at this point. At the very least someone should give him a really good kicking and put him in his place because he's been begging for it for ages.

Broken Arrow, Cor Blimey Guv'nor you tell it like it is!
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    ewoodie wrote: »
    If Ronnie and Roxie are stale and being killed off, then EE really ought to get rid of Lauren Branning because if anyone's boring and stale - she is. Not sure about Abby. She seems to have a little more mileage left.

She can thank her friend DTC for putting the final nail in Ronnie's coffin. You can't murder and arrange to crush a couple of guys and then hang around playing happy families. Then there's how she got rid of her poor husband.
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    If Ronnie and Roxy have nothing left to give then what about the rest of the cast?

If SOC kills them off it will just show arrogance.
  • Options
    willowswillows Posts: 6,169
    Forum Member
    Yawn. The whole point of a contract is that it isn't a sure thing and that you may not be there forever. Ronnie and Roxy don't have much to give now. The constant need for them to go around in circles is boring. In fact I'm pretty bored of the Mitchells altogether right now. I wonder if she would be publicly saying this if her character hadn't been killed off. Must be hard for them all to go from DTC worshipping them/Mitchells for someone else to come in ;-)
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    If Ronnie and Roxy have nothing left to give then what about the rest of the cast?

If SOC kills them off it will just show arrogance.

Why hasn't Tina, Donna, Sylvie & Shakil being axed?

Dreadful characters.
  • Options
    HeatherbellHeatherbell Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    The sooner they leave for good the better .
    Ronnie has one expression , and unfortunately it's her "resting biatch" face :(. Dull actress adding nothing to the show .
    Roxy . I couldn't endure another "She's here, she's gone, she's a druggie, she's 'cured' , she's an alcoholic, she's recovered (but still boozes), she's off to find herself but finds herself back in Walford three months later . Rinse and repeat over and over . Time to ditch the dead wood and make room for Max and any potential noobies in Jack's flats .
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »

Jacqueline jossa will never be axed she is still by miles the most popular character with younger viewers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so :).
    priscilla wrote: »
    Agree. They are stale characters who have gone round in circles, she really thinks so highly of herself and the Mitchells.

I personally think the Mitchells have had their day. Not that they should all be axed but they're not what they were.
    Mr Patrick wrote: »
    As Much as I love Babs I think your right especially after she announced that she wanted to kill off Peggy and when they did she announced that she wanted to return

I think Babs has struggled to let go for ages now. Now that's she's finally cut the cord she should probably stop weighing in on current storylines. She's looking a bit obsessive.
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Why hasn't Tina, Donna, Sylvie & Shakil being axed?

Dreadful characters.

Exactly EE is full of characters who are in the same boat as Ronnie and Roxy.