Options

Religious people find it harder to understand the world – study

ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
Forum Member
People with religious beliefs have a poorer grasp of the physical world than their non-believing counterparts, a new study claims.
✂️
The study, published in Applied Cognitive Psychology, concluded that believers were less scientifically knowledgeable – evinced by their propensity to agree with statements such as “flowers are able to think” and “stones feel the cold”. They were also more likely to struggle with solving physical tasks.

Researchers claim their results show that supernatural beliefs correlated with “low systemizing, poor intuitive physics skills, poor mechanical ability, poor mental rotation, low school grades in mathematics and physics, poor common knowledge about physical and biological phenomena, intuitive and analytical thinking styles, and in particular, with assigning mentality to non-mental phenomena.”

Study authors Marjaana Lindeman and Annika Svedholm-Häkkinen suggest that, when people don’t understand the physical world, they tend to apply human characteristics to the wider universe, “resulting in belief in demons, gods, and other supernatural phenomena”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/10/26/religious-people-find-it-harder-to-understand-the-world--study/

If true, interesting possible implications for the future of religious belief.

Comments

• Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Hardly surprising... :p
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "God did it" is not an answer, it's an end to inquiry.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a theory about people who study psychology.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing I've been wondering; what's your thread theme/emoji process? Do you have an idea for a thread and then find an appropriate emoji, or, do you select an emoji and then look for a story that matches it?
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/10/26/religious-people-find-it-harder-to-understand-the-world--study/

If true, interesting possible implications for the future of religious belief.

There are lots of studies that find relationships between intelligence levels and religious belief in one way or another. I think its more likely that if someone has lower levels of insight, intelligence or problem solving skills they are more likely to be attracted to the idea of external forces making decisions in life and therefore they're more likely to respond to religious or supernatural belief systems.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having seen and participated in many religious discussions, none of that surprises me.
  • Options
    John_ClunesJohn_Clunes Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't surprising to read the above. Religious people tend to be less intelligent than us non-religious folk.
  • Options
    mcg3mcg3 Posts: 11,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    I have a theory about people who study psychology.

Care to enlighten us what that might be, or is it a secret.
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't surprising to read the above. Religious people tend to be less intelligent than us non-religious folk.

So say you, how :(
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S'funny cos I could have sworn the study was entitled

Does Poor Understanding of Physical World Predict Religious and Paranormal
    Beliefs?
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolute bollocks. Darwin was a Christian.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    One thing I've been wondering; what's your thread theme/emoji process? Do you have an idea for a thread and then find an appropriate emoji, or, do you select an emoji and then look for a story that matches it?

Consciously - idea first then find the emoji to encapsulate it.

Subconsciously I guess the availability or not of a relevant emoji forms part of the causality of the decision to start the thread or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    So say you, how.
    Presumably because we (the non-religious folk) can accept the likelihood of the universe and our creation being a random accident with no afterlife?
    snukr wrote: »
    He may have been a sceptical one. He may have even lied to keep the peace with the locals. Unless you actually knew him (you didn't) you can't really make such a bold claim.
  • Options
    MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IF God existed he could put in an appearance to end the speculation. What does that tell you?
  • Options
    St DabeocSt Dabeoc Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Presumably because we (the non-religious folk) can accept the likelihood of the universe and our creation being a random accident with no afterlife?

He may have been a sceptical one. He may have even lied to keep the peace with the locals. Unless you actually knew him (you didn't) you can't really make such a bold claim.

love it
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Researchers claim their results show that supernatural beliefs correlated with “low systemizing, poor intuitive physics skills, poor mechanical ability, poor mental rotation, low school grades in mathematics and physics

in a roundabout way, trying to tell us people who believe in gods are as thick as two short planks.
    Or you could put it another way, Gods are used to fill the gaps to explain things where there is no science education.
    Not news.
  • Options
    John_ClunesJohn_Clunes Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As a child he was, but he grew out of it. He was agnostic.
  • Options
    noodkleopatranoodkleopatra Posts: 12,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...Wait for it....!
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Knowledge and intelligence aren't necessarily the same. If your beliefs tell you not to doubt and question things, then you're left not applying your intelligence. It doesn't matter how intelligent you are if you don't use it.
  • Options
    noodkleopatranoodkleopatra Posts: 12,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a child he was, but he grew out of it. He was agnostic.

Wasn't part of the reason of the loss of his faith down to the death of his nine year-old daughter?
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mint wrote: »
    IF God existed he could put in an appearance to end the speculation. What does that tell you?

And the non religous would say he was a hoaxer, charlatan. Magician etc.

Evidence cannot prove faith.
    Faith is knowing something not seen, but is true.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is so ironic because psychology itself isn't a science, it's a belief system.

There is no way any of this stuff can actually be "proven" in a scientific sense.

Of course those who follow it's teachings think of it as Truth.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mint wrote: »

"'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, 'for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'" - Douglas Adams

Evidence cannot prove faith.
    Faith is knowing something not seen, but is true.

"The Way to see by Faith is to shut the Eye of Reason." - Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If God descended from the Heavens and did a fraction of the things that (he?) is claimed to be able to do, then I'd think a lot of people (if not everyone) would accept that truth.

The problem(?) is, from our point of view, everything God can allegedly do should one day be possible for us with enough understanding of science and technology, so for all intense purposes, if there was such a being, it could just as easily be an alien, or an a person (human) from the future.
    Tassium wrote: »
    This is so ironic because psychology itself isn't a science, it's a belief system.
    Whilst true, Science is more credible a source (to the open minded) than Religion. One proposes cause and effect, the other proposes a mythical being in the sky. Which one seems more plausible?
  • Options
    LuckyPierreLuckyPierre Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not always, he wasn't. He grew out of it.