Options

M&S food

Snuffkin88Snuffkin88 Posts: 100
Forum Member
Does anyone else think M&S food just tastes superior to other supermarkets?

There's just something about it that tastes much nicer, just as my husband has started working there and so we've been sampling all the food hall goodies , but when talking to some other family they disagree it's any different to Lidl & would rather have food from there - which was in reference to us wanting to order Christmas food from there food to order catalogue , but his family said they'd rather just have Lidl as it's the same!

We've been pleasantly surprised by how reasonable a lot of the "Simply food" cheaper range is in M&S.

Or maybe we've just become food snobs !

Comments

• Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Snuffkin88 wrote: »

There's just something about it that tastes much nicer, just as my husband has started working there and so we've been sampling all the food hall goodies , but when talking to some other family they disagree it's any different to Lidl & would rather have food from there - which was in reference to us wanting to order Christmas food from there food to order catalogue , but his family said they'd rather just have Lidl as it's the same!

We've been pleasantly surprised by how reasonable a lot of the "Simply food" cheaper range is in M&S.

Or maybe your husband just started working there and gets a staff discount? 😨
    Ooh this tastes much nicer at this price!
  • Options
    John_Adam1John_Adam1 Posts: 1,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes. They tend to order in the 'cream of the crop' from the same suppliers as the other supermarkets. They obviously pay a premium, as then does the customer.

For some items I can afford to pay that premium, but on others I don't think it's worth it.

They also sell some beautifully presented chocolates/sweets, biscuit selection tins and cakes - all of which make nice gifts.

I'm a big fan, but I certainly think they're too expensive for most people to buy all their grocery items from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Or maybe your husband just started working there and gets a staff discount? 😨
    Ooh this tastes much nicer at this price!

I'd have said this before he started working there too though, we would infrequently get the "Dine in for £10" offer & found the quality superior to our usual supermarkets meals.
    But yes now the staff discount helps !
    a lot of things aren't unreasonably priced though, found some prices to be on a par with Sainsbury's /Tesco.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    John_Adam1 wrote: »
    Yes. They tend to order in the 'cream of the crop' from the same suppliers as the other supermarkets. They obviously pay a premium, as then does the customer.

For some items I can afford to pay that premium, but on others I don't think it's worth it.

They also sell some beautifully presented chocolates/sweets, biscuit selection tins and cakes - all of which make nice gifts.

I'm a big fan, but I certainly think they're too expensive for most people to buy all their grocery items from.

Yes the Christmas biscuit selections are lovely.
    I agree pricewise too expensive for most to do weekly shop but I do think some of their prices have gone down to be more in line with other supermarkets, I know our local Tesco sells blueberries for the same price.
  • Options
    confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't think the quality at M&S is what it used to be and the extremely short use by dates at my local food hall are ridiculous. over an average month i will pretty much shop across M&S, Tesco, Sainsbury's and Waitrose........for my money Waitrose is far superior to any of the others for freshness and quality. Lidl and Aldi are like shopping back in the 70's.
  • Options
    lukeskywalker1lukeskywalker1 Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love their pasta meals, the lasagna is the best I've ever had and the spaghetti and meat balls and carbonara are really good too.

I also love their cornish pasties and pork pies. The coronation coleslaw is amazing.

Some of their stuff is not that good though, I didn't like the southern fried chicken, it had a layer of soggy skin under the crispy bread crumbs. And most supermarket ready meals with chicken in, including M+S ones, are made with processed chicken which I don't like that much so I don't buy them.
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not good enough to warrant the extra cost.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have started regularly popping into a "Freezer Shop" who take overstock items from high street retailers....and then freeze them (obviously)....and then sell them for a third of the price, or one quarter of the price.

I can see little point in buying an Asda curry which was £2 and is now 60p, because I am not really interested at either price point.
    But.....M&S food regularly appears. And has my full attention. (Who does not like a bargain). Luxury Fish Pie was £1.50 a couple of weeks ago. A fairly big one - serves 2. I will guess this is maybe £5 in M&S? The garlic was not subtle but it was excellent.
    I try not to be greedy but it makes sense to buy 6 or 8........
  • Options
    ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    I have started regularly popping into a "Freezer Shop" who take overstock items from high street retailers....and then freeze them (obviously)....and then sell them for a third of the price, or one quarter of the price.
    Where are these shops? I've got to get to one immediately!
  • Options
    WombatDeathWombatDeath Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their ready meals are far better than any others I've tried. Nice tinned soup too. I wouldn't pay extra for their fruit and veg, though.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,968
    Forum Member
    M&S is one of the glories of this country imv.

The food hall products are reliable and nearly always top quality.
    I bought sponge fingers there the other day (to make tiramisu) and they were just gorgeous. It was instantly obvious on the first mouthful that they were far nicer than any I had bought before.

Long live M&S :)
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,968
    Forum Member
    chopsim wrote: »

I'm not poor enough to care. Sorry if that sounds flippant or boastful, it's just the truth.
  • Options
    fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes :)
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't shop in M&S anywhere near as much as I used to........I don't think they're as far ahead of the others as they used to be

This might be because the other main supermarkets have improved

It might just be that my eating habits have changed so I don't eat much of the stuff that I used to buy in M&S........ready meals, cakes & treats, tinned curries and meat products, cheese

They used to be renowned for their ready meals but that was in the days when ready meals at Sainsbury, Tesco etc were horrible........I think they've all caught up now. Anyway, I've gone off ready meals
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have said this before he started working there too though, we would infrequently get the "Dine in for £10" offer & found the quality superior to our usual supermarkets meals.
    But yes now the staff discount helps !
    a lot of things aren't unreasonably priced though, found some prices to be on a par with Sainsbury's /Tesco.

The dine in for £10 with wine is simply a bluddy good deal and the quality can't be faulted. They also have a 3 for £10 counter that includes e.g. a whole chicken, a fish option and a meat option - excellent value.
    Within a ten minute drive here we have very large branches of every major supermarket.
    Today I popped into Lidl for fillet steaks and bought some lamb and beef then went across the road to Sainsbury for several other items.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I don't shop in M&S anywhere near as much as I used to........I don't think they're as far ahead of the others as they used to be

It might just be that my eating habits have changed so I don't eat much of the stuff that I used to buy in M&S........ready meals, cakes & treats, tinned curries and meat products, cheese

Tinned curry??😱
  • Options
    WhoAteMeDinnerWhoAteMeDinner Posts: 4,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tinned curry??😱

Don't be a snob, tinned foods like curries, chilli con carne and casserole in M & S are very nice.

To the OP's point, I think it is the placebo effect with alot of M & S food, we want them to taste better than other shops because we perceive them as such.
    Example: Organic milk is what I always buy for my tea and coffee, this is utterly illogical on my part as I use regular milk for cereal. My brain is pre-programmed to tell me it tastes better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't be a snob, tinned foods like curries, chilli con carne and casserole in M & S are very nice.

Organic milk is what I always buy for my tea and coffee, this is utterly illogical on my part as I use regular milk for cereal. My brain is pre-programmed to tell me it tastes better.

What a snob!
    👹
  • Options
    PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    chopsim wrote: »

Never shop in M&S it is overpriced in comparison with other similar quality foodstuffs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tinned curry??😱

the tins of lamb or beef curry or chilli con carne in M&S are excellent !

also tins of steak and kidney or mince and onion

not too keen on the chicken curries

I occasionally receive an M&S gift voucher and I invariably use it to stock up the cupboard with tinned goods........especially when they're on special offer, 3 for 2 kind of thing
  • Options
    lukeskywalker1lukeskywalker1 Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    the tins of lamb or beef curry or chilli con carne in M&S are excellent !

also tins of steak and kidney or mince and onion

not too keen on the chicken curries

I occasionally receive an M&S gift voucher and I invariably use it to stock up the cupboard with tinned goods........especially when they're on special offer, 3 for 2 kind of thing

Where from? I want one!

I had their tinned chilli once, it was pretty good
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Where from? I want one!

It's usually my only Christmas present.......:cry:
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like the M&S food it's very much a convenience place to buy from though. If I want a lasagne for example I'm likely to buy it from there as I like their lasagne. I do like their sandwich range but they are expensive, some are £4 odd which is a little steep.

For everything else it's ok. Their meat is pretty decent especially the steaks. Their bread is also good when fresh that day.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The only shop I know that sells apricot juice!
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It depends where else you shop.

I find Tesco food can be poor, IE fresh chicken is injected with water, and when you cook it you see what they added. Compare to M&S then there chicken is far better.

Turkeys I buy at M&S it makes Christmas and clearly better quality.

But M&S is not perfect, I find there " sell by" dates very very short, I guess my local manager has a low spoil target. So you get empty shekves with a few items if what you want, and all on today's or tomorrow's date. For a weekly shop it doesn't work.

I find Sainsbury's a good middle point, longer sell by dates and better then Tesco quality.