Options

River City (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Pop PrincessPop Princess Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoying Rebecca Atkinson as Belinda, she is genuinely scary. Great performance. Definitely showing Corrie how to do the "scorned woman getting revenge" plot realistically.

Also read that River City won a Mind award for Drew's self harming story, beating Stacey's high profile post partum psychosis storyline on EastEnders - https://twitter.com/bbcrivercity/status/798274220216242176?lang=en-gb

Well done :)
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoying Rebecca Atkinson as Belinda, she is genuinely scary. Great performance. Definitely showing Corrie how to do the "scorned woman getting revenge" plot realistically.

Also read that River City won a Mind award for Drew's self harming story, beating Stacey's high profile post partum psychosis storyline on EastEnders - https://twitter.com/bbcrivercity/status/798274220216242176?lang=en-gb

Well done :)

Not much chat on here for a while.

Agree with your comments PP. Love the performances from Rebecca Atkinson, though it's taken me a few episodes to start to think of her as Belinda and not 'Karen from Shameless'. :D Either way, she's a great casting and the writing of the storyline has been original and very menacing. Definitely putting Corrie's very similar crazed lesbian stalker storyline to shame in my opinion. I wonder where she'll go next.

I found it odd that in the episode from 15/11 Annie found out about Alex and Belinda and moved out to stay with Lorna, but by this week's episode she seemed to be completely over it. I think this is one of the few weaknesses of River City; characters' actions don't always follow from one episode to the next because of the once-a-week cycle.

The character of Cassie is one of the my favourite in the show at the moment and the actress who plays her is really fantastic (don't know her name). Very understated but powerful performances this week. When she first appeared she was a bit of a joke character who was quickly shunted into the marriage of convenience storyline with Angus. Her recent episodes, however, have really made me see her in a different light. I love how River City take a very simple and straightforward plot and really eke the most drama and heartbreak they can from it. On paper a character not wanting to have a baby comes across to many as boring, but this has been very moving to watch, especially because they haven't (yet!) gone in for the typical soap melodramatic cliches of her having an abortion behind Angus's back and pretending she's had a miscarriage.

As for Scarlett, Pete and Caitlin. Well. I'm disappointed that Scarlett and Pete did what they did (bleurgh!) but I am happy because it's already adding some much needed depth to Caitlin's character. Up until now, she's been a mouthy layabout who does nothing but moan, but seeing her more vulnerable side in the last episode was a very welcome direction for the character to be taken in. It's a shame that she's obviously heading for heartache, but that's life hen! Scarlett and Pete with the drugs is a bit far-fetched, especially since their shed is slap bang in the middle of Shieldinch for all the world to see. Them sneaking in and out looks so painfully obvious it became a bit tiresome.

Drew is a good character and interesting, but part of me hopes that the repulsive new girl (can't remember her name) does come between him and his girlfriend (can't remember her name either) as I find her to be quite a one-dimensional character. The new girl, Lorna's daughter/Annie's niece, has the potential to be marvellous, even though she came across as very obnoxious in her first episode. Looking forward to finding out more about her backstory and what makes her tick.

From the few seconds we saw, Simon from Blue looks terrible ... :D
  • Options
    malcy86malcy86 Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole drugs thing has been ridiculous. Is Lenny the only person in Shieldinch with a sense of smell?! I like that Cassie is being written as less annoying now. Next weeks looks good. As far as Belinda goes i reckon she will meet her maker soon enough.

Did anyone else see the Children In Need sketch which was a crossover of River City & Scot Squad?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcy86 wrote: »
    The whole drugs thing has been ridiculous. Is Lenny the only person in Shieldinch with a sense of smell?! I like that Cassie is being written as less annoying now. Next weeks looks good. As far as Belinda goes i reckon she will meet her maker soon enough.

Did anyone else see the Children In Need sketch which was a crossover of River City & Scot Squad?

Do you mean this malcy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEjxPoX5Q34

Didn't see it (not actually in Scotland!) but going to watch it now :D
  • Options
    evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have this dream... maybe suited for comic relief. OK: Jack and Victor join a dating site or answer an advert Entre le two ladies: Molly and Liz. :) Does that not sound like a winner?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have this dream... maybe suited for comic relief. OK: Jack and Victor join a dating site or answer an advert Entre le two ladies: Molly and Liz. :) Does that not sound like a winner?

Hahaha sounds fantastic! :D:D

Although I'm sure that there was a Still Game/River City crossover for Children in Need at some point in the past?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mean this malcy?

That's the one! Mind you in response to Evangeline007 (i cant't figure out how to multi-quote!) there was an ep of Still Game where Jack & Victor pretended to be posh and ended up at a country house with none other than Una McClean who plays oor Molly!

And yes KornerKabin there was a Still Game/ River City CIN crossover. This one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=497iL3IPuTM

Hope they do something River City for CIN next every year. Could just see Rab C & Jamesy calling in to the Tall Ship for a pint!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flicking through the telly and saw the actress who played Eileen in today's episode of Doctors!
  • Options
    Anne_CameronAnne_Cameron Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean this malcy?

Thanks for the link! Enjoyed that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone else see 'In Plain Sight' on ITV wed night? It's about Peter Manuel the serial killer and is quite good but it was like a game of spot the River City actor! Spotted Amber, Angus & his sister (forget her name), and at least 2 others. One who i think was in it before i watched it and i think Eileens son as well!
  • Options
    Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    Brilliant this week
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant this week

Just hope Amber and Craig are not finished. I love them as a couple/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great episode this week ... so much going on! :D:D

Not sure about Bubba banging Edie McCredie but you can win 'em all ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tend to miss it on a Tuesday now. So i rely on them showing it at the weekend. It quite often gets cancelled in favour of sport. I can watch online but it's hit and miss as to if it goes up or not. Haven't missed an episode in 6/7 years though!

Did anyone get tix to the xmas ep screening? Over 10,000 people applied for the 120 available tix! I'd love to go on the tour of Shieldinch. Going to try get tix for next year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cracking episode this week. No idea who shot Lenny though. Annie recieved a txt just before it happened but i doubt it was her or she even set it up. Don't think it was DI Donald either.

Cassie has an Instagram account of her trip to America with Angus here - https://www.instagram.com/cassieandangus/
  • Options
    Hollyoaks14Hollyoaks14 Posts: 1,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex Ferns (Trevor Morgan from EastEnders) is joining as a new villain called Rick Harper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex Ferns (Trevor Morgan from EastEnders) is joining as a new villain called Rick Harper.

Yep, along with Iain Robertson as Stevie Adams.

Have enjoyed the Pete stuff recently. Jules playing the video that Frankie filmed was good too. Bored with Robbie as per.

The cast is so different from when i first started watching. The past couple of years have seen so many leave.
  • Options
    caraxcarax Posts: 3,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bit ambivalent about that, tbh. Iain Robertson could be a good fit though; hadn't heard about him.

Saw a tweet from Tom Urie today, showing him holding up a pair of Bob's old jeans. That guy has lost a shedload of weight. Shilpit Bob he is these days.

Good on him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 04/03/17 - 23:10 #1670
    The actor who plays Paddy was great in the trial scenes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The actor who plays Paddy was great in the trial scenes

I'm not a fan usually but he did well. Looks like it going to be an exciting one this week!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow that was a great episode! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow that was a great episode! :)

Yeah really good. Poor Craig! I've been a bit slow at watching it recently so had seen he had left but didn't know how. Good that he died saving Amber though. Not too sure about Annie's sister & family. Bit annoying although Frankie is a good character. I wonder what Bob's new girlfriend is hiding...

And next week sees the debut of Alex Ferns.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am seriously unhappy about Craig! The dynamic between him and Amber was great. However I suppose their relationship would have been doomed with her being an ex-con and the daughter of Lenny.

What is happening about the Doctor's surgery, that seems to have been swept under the carpet and not mentioned since Lenny closed it down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am seriously unhappy about Craig! The dynamic between him and Amber was great. However I suppose their relationship would have been doomed with her being an ex-con and the daughter of Lenny.

What is happening about the Doctor's surgery, that seems to have been swept under the carpet and not mentioned since Lenny closed it down.

Fair point, i had forgot all about it! Mind you, Annie seems to be pottering around the place all the time and i don't recall seeing her with her briefcase so maybe it's still closed.
  • Options
    thebartonsrulethebartonsrule Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    malcy86 wrote: »
    I tend to miss it on a Tuesday now. So i rely on them showing it at the weekend. It quite often gets cancelled in favour of sport. I can watch online but it's hit and miss as to if it goes up or not. Haven't missed an episode in 6/7 years though!

Did anyone get tix to the xmas ep screening? Over 10,000 people applied for the 120 available tix! I'd love to go on the tour of Shieldinch. Going to try get tix for next year.

Having taken the tour a couple of years i can throughly recommend a visit.