Options

Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Thread (Part 13)

Comments

• Options
    knickerlesscageknickerlesscage Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot how enjoyable it can be to see your team score goals from open play. I was saying how poor Eriksen had been before the match too, works everytime. I will try it with someone else next week.
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    Janssen? Sissoko?
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swansea were very poor but at least we did thump a lesser team for once.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pee wrote: »
    Janssen? Sissoko?
    I will have to wait and see until the squad is announced ;-)
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tottenham Hotspur are launching the most expensive season ticket in the Premier League, as they announce their £18,000 membership for The Tunnel Club.
    The club is part of the new stadium, set to open for the 2018/19 season, and costs three times the cost of their rivals Arsenal’s top ticket – although the Emirates doesn’t include dinner.

Their current priciest ticket is £10,000 per person, but the new club, currently under construction, houses only 104 seats and will be released in the first phase. The holder also gets their own parking space.

According to The Times, The Tunnel Club is the club’s “super-premium” membership, and will also feature a glass-walled restaurant with direct views of the pitch and the players’ tunnel.

The club has been promoting the offer as a unique and exclusive experience that will give wealthy fans the chance to feel closer to the action on and off the pitch.

Dinner ? A parking space ? Well thats swung it for me...........put me down for 4 tickets please.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Dinner ? A parking space ? Well thats swung it for me...........put me down for 4 tickets please.

If you can really afford four tickets pete I reckon people might start being a lot nicer to you around here :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot how enjoyable it can be to see your team score goals from open play.....
    I was thinking that after seeing the highlights on MotD. Just hope we can get some momentum going now in the PL.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So CSKA in the CL midweek. I wonder if Poch will play a largely second string, seeing that a draw will be enough to see us through to the Europa League?

With Man U up next in the PL, despite their disarray results-wise they still represent tough opposition. A win next Sunday would open up a large gap between the top 5 and the rest.
  • Options
    kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    So CSKA in the CL midweek. I wonder if Poch will play a largely second string, seeing that a draw will be enough to see us through to the Europa League?

With Man U up next in the PL, despite their disarray results-wise they still represent tough opposition. A win next Sunday would open up a large gap between the top 5 and the rest.

Do we want to drop into the Europa League? Might be better to finish 4th.
    OTOH, would we get into trouble with UEFA if we played a weak team?
  • Options
    MikeOf LBuzzardMikeOf LBuzzard Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    I find it amazing and rather sad that people say we might be better off finishing 4th.
    The idea of supporting a team is to see them win trophies rather than trying to put all your eggs into one basket which is what we've being doing season after season and ending up with nothing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kempshott wrote: »
    Just thinking that it would be quite ironic if we try our best to avoid the Europa only to end up there next season because we only finish 5th in the PL!

It will be an interesting one for Poch with one eye on the Utd game Sunday. Personally I think the Europa gives us a chance to save a bit of face after our poor showing in the CL, in a group we should of walked through.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have drawn Villa at home in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. Tie to be played 7th or 8th January 2017.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can look at it two ways. Do we "throw" the game, finish bottom and concentrate solely on the league even though we have zero chance of winning it and (barring major improvement) probably doubtful for top 4 anyway. Some may see it that we would be in the last 32, and 5 ties away from winning silverwear and maybe our best route for getting back into the champions league next year. Personally I think the Europa would kill our season dead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toby back tomorrow.
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    if we're going to sack off trying to win a competition we'd actually have a chance in, in order to concentrate on trying to finish 4th and qualify for a competition we have NO chance in, and in which we have just performed abysmally, then I really do despair
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But we have never come close to winning the Europa either, and being in it has ALWAYS been detrimental to our league form. Why would this year be different?

Of course in a perfect world I would love to both win the Europa and get top 4, but that simply wont happen. For us to progress as a club we need regular champions league football, to keep our best players we need champions league football, to attract better players we need champions league football, for a new 60,000 stadium we need champions league football. If or when we achieve regular champions league football the rewards are more likely to follow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toby back tomorrow.
    At last! Apparently his main injury was actually a damaged nerve in the knee. So though the original bruising quickly went and scans suggested that he wouldn't be out for too long, recovery has dragged on and on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if we're going to sack off trying to win a competition we'd actually have a chance in, in order to concentrate on trying to finish 4th and qualify for a competition we have NO chance in, and in which we have just performed abysmally, then I really do despair
    In recent years it seems that qualifying for the CL alone is seen as the measure of footballing success, never mind actually winning any silverware.

We have a long way to go to actually understanding how to play European teams, especially if the starting line-up is always picked with one eye on the next Premiership game. If you go all out for wins in the earlier CL games, then you might have the opportunity not to field full strength teams in the latter games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    In recent years it seems that qualifying for the CL alone is seen as the measure of footballing success, never mind actually winning any silverware.

We have a long way to go to actually understanding how to play European teams, especially if the starting line-up is always picked with one eye on the next Premiership game. If you go all out for wins in the earlier CL games, then you might have the opportunity not to field full strength teams in the latter games.

Totally agree with this and I would also like to see us take the FA cup more seriously as this is also a trophy we are capable of winning. Problem is that the manager is no doubt being pushed into making 4th place in the PL his priority as this will be seen as the biggest source of income for Levy and his buddies!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But people need to realise that its not just about "only" caring for top 4 at the expense of winning trophies. Its that being top 4 regulars leads to a long term cycle which is much more likely to breed silverware.

Since we last won the FA cup, 23 of the last 26 winners have come from Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea. In the league cup 9 of the last 12 years have been won by the same 5. They have all won these cups with almost constant champions league football (sporadic in Liverpools case). This shows that being a regular in the champions league knocks on to domestic success too. Im amazed that people dont realise this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But people need to realise that its not just about "only" caring for top 4 at the expense of winning trophies. Its that being top 4 regulars leads to a long term cycle which is much more likely to breed silverware.

Since we last won the FA cup, 23 of the last 26 winners have come from Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea. In the league cup 9 of the last 12 years have been won by the same 5. They have all won these cups with almost constant champions league football (sporadic in Liverpools case). This shows that being a regular in the champions league knocks on to domestic success too. Im amazed that people dont realise this.

It's not that people don't see this blueprint it's that people don't trust the board to invest the money in the squad. All the clubs you mention have invested heavily in their squads to gain success. We haven't. I know people wil say we spent £70m this summer but if you look more closely we never buy before raising the funds through selling players (both good and not so good). Levy then uses the money on panic buys like Sissoko or cut price strikers like Jansen.
    Also for years Levy has used the excuse that top players will not join because we are not in CL. Well I didn't see much difference to his usual penny pinching this summer when we had qualified.
  • Options
    skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kempshott wrote: »

Just make sure that Sissoko is playing an important role on the pitch & we should miss the Europa quite happily. at £30m UEFA could hardly say it's a weakened team!
  • Options
    skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bets line I spotted on twitter was:

"Resting players in the champions league to save them for the premier league to try and qualify for the champions league.. ok then #coys"

Which seemed to sum up the last game perfectly!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get the fact that at the end of the day Tottenham Hotspur F.C. is a business with the main aim to make money for owners the ENIC Group and that footballing and financial success are intertwined.

Its just that it seems a bit pointless entering a cup/knockout competition if we are only going to make a half-hearted attempt at progressing. The League Cup has become a joke as far as Premiership teams are concerned, the FA Cup is going the same way and we go to all the effort of prioritising qualification for the CL (or a consolation Europa place), only to appear to be not bothered if we exit it early, by virtue of our team selection.
    skinj wrote: »
    ..."Resting players in the champions league to save them for the premier league to try and qualify for the champions league.. ok then #coys"...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still plenty of tickets available for the CSKA game tonight :D
This discussion has been closed.