Options

New Batchelors Chicken Cuppa Soup is horrible

Comments

• Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All cup a soups are awful. Nothing like the tins even.

I've always been impressed by the ability of a cup-a-soup to still maintain some powdered residue at the bottom no matter how much stirring you do.

How do they get it to do that?
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    I've always been impressed by the ability of a cup-a-soup to still maintain some powdered residue at the bottom no matter how much stirring you do.

How do they get it to do that?

Battery powered mini whisk is your friend.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GGQW1OU
  • Options
    mcg3mcg3 Posts: 11,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably the new powdered semen flavour.
  • Options
    MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah when they were forced to use real chicken instead of weasel and donkey meat it was never the same.

They tasted nicer than the chicken they put in now.
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the best things about Brexit so far was Unilever threatening to pull the plug on Pot Noodles. If 'cuppa soup' went the same way things would only be looking up.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you saying there are actually Cuppa Soups that AREN'T horrible??? :o
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Powdered soups always taste artificial and revolting. It is much nicer to make your own.

Also one of the simplest and cheapest things to make.
  • Options
    Rab64Rab64 Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sainsburys own brand,tastes MUCH better than the others IMO
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the heads-up.

It will go even further down my list of Crap-I'd-Never-Buy.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Cuppa Soup has always appeared to me as the Supermarket version of chemical warfare

:D - :D
  • Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surely all cuppa soup is horrible ?

Unless you get the water-mixture ratio spot on, then you're going to have a bad time. And even then, you still get clumps of (somehow) bone dry powder at the bottom.
  • Options
    RoesiaRoesia Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    Every single time a company meddles with their food it is worse. So many of my favourites have been tampered with in recent years and I've had to look for different things to eat, the worst example being McVities chocolate digestives. I miss the original version so much.
  • Options
    Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,617
    Forum Member
    They did the same with the tomato. Added milk to it so I couldn't have it any more when it was fine beforehand.

Do you gave a dairy allergy or are you vegan?
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Roesia wrote: »
    Every single time a company meddles with their food it is worse. So many of my favourites have been tampered with in recent years and I've had to look for different things to eat, the worst example being McVities chocolate digestives. I miss the original version so much.

The one that always comes to my mind is those small tins of Toast Toppers

I used to love Cheese and Ham Toast Topper until one day it was'New Improved Recipe'......>:(

Heinz Oxtail Soup is another one that was 'improved'.......appeared to be by taking some meat out and putting vegetables in......>:(

Can't say I've ever been a devotee of Cup A Soup put my aged parents used to love them before they died (no connection to Cup A Soup)
  • Options
    RoesiaRoesia Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    And it's not just food either. A brand of shampoo was not long ago "new and improved" and I had to stop buying it and look for an alternative because I hated how the new version made my hair feel/look.

These companies need to stop changing things for the sake of it. It's so frustrating.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you get the water-mixture ratio spot on, then you're going to have a bad time. And even then, you still get clumps of (somehow) bone dry powder at the bottom.
    This is why your soup mug needs to be one with no angles on the inside, i.e. a high-sided narrow bowl with a handle rather than a cylinder. It's also much wider at the top so it's easier to dunk the bits of roll with the unhealthy amount of butter on them :D
  • Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roesia wrote: »
    And it's not just food either. A brand of shampoo was not long ago "new and improved" and I had to stop buying it and look for an alternative because I hated how the new version made my hair feel/look.

These companies need to stop changing things for the sake of it. It's so frustrating.

They use cheaper products then probably test the new product on a handful of employees or animals.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevin1960 wrote: »
    Do you gave a dairy allergy or are you vegan?

Former, though it's a bad intolerance rather than a full blown allergy. I was able to tolerate the soup in it's previous form, just not now and almost all soups have either dairy or wheat or both.
    :(
  • Options
    mick rmick r Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I contacted Batchelors Customer care and they were great .I just explained how horrible the new best ever recipe chicken cuppa soup was and that i was very disappointed .They said they were very sorry to hear this and only want the best for our customers and would pass the feedback on . I received a letter today from them apologising more and they sent me 2 x £5 vouchers for any premier food range .

In the letter they said they do extensive consumer research prior to launching new products but how the hell this made the shelf i just dont know. I showed 5 family members the soup and it made them all feel sick .
  • Options
    Hilary22catHilary22cat Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nom

And the best thing with Asparagus cup-style-soups is that there is no doubt that there is real Asparagus in them... ;-)

Now we sound elitist AND naive.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mick r wrote: »
    I contacted Batchelors Customer care and they were great .I just explained how horrible the new best ever recipe chicken cuppa soup was and that i was very disappointed .They said they were very sorry to hear this and only want the best for our customers and would pass the feedback on . I received a letter today from them apologising more and they sent me 2 x £5 vouchers for any premier food range .

In the letter they said they do extensive consumer research prior to launching new products but how the hell this made the shelf i just dont know. I showed 5 family members the soup and it made them all feel sick .

Why not buy a few vegetables and make something which is actually nutritious and real soup rather than toxic dried crap. Easy peasy.
  • Options
    orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it is absolutely vile.
    it doesnt dissolve... it clumps into disgusting lumps of vomit
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    it is absolutely vile.

Has anyone asked ‘Slade’ what they think of it?
  • Options
    Union JockUnion Jock Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member
    it is absolutely vile.
    You have to use hot water not cold otherwise it does what you say.

I prefer the ones from Heinz now, the cream of tomato is delicious.
  • Options
    orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Union Jock wrote: »
    You have to use hot water not cold otherwise it does what you say.

I prefer the ones from Heinz now, the cream of tomato is delicious.

100 degrees boiling (from a kettle with 4 temp options so it is 100c and bubbling away)
    it doesnt dissolve. it leaves massive sludge at the bottom of the mug.

with 5 in a box i tried half a sachet in a mug, same problem just less clumps and less sludge..
    and i tried in a big soup bowl (a 900ml bowl) and with double the boiling water it still did not mix

and a fork not a spoon was used to stir.