Options

Christmas day as annual leave

Comments

• Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Minimum used to be 20 days plus how the employer wanted to treat bank holidays, which may have been paid or a lieu day if you worked it or just the day off...now employer has to give 28 days with no need to pay you any extra or give a lieu day.

You are talking about a one off extra day off...if an extra bank holiday was added (not a one off) than I am sure the government would adjust it to 29 days minimum.
    Yeah right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They increased it to 29 for the Diamond Jubilee, and for William and Kate's wedding, didn't they?
    No they didn't.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah right.

Lol it's nice some people still believe in Santa :D
  • Options
    1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Not in my company we all had to take it out of our 28 days.

Same with me.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol it's nice some people still believe in Santa :D

So why did they increase it from 20 days to 28 days?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why did they increase it from 20 days to 28 days?

For most people it made no difference. It just meant that bank holidays were included in the allowance rather than being in addition.
  • Options
    Happ HazzardHapp Hazzard Posts: 2,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a bleeding con if they don't give us two extra days when the Queen dies.
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    You are talking about a one off extra day off...if an extra bank holiday was added (not a one off) than I am sure the government would adjust it to 29 days minimum.
    It doesn't work that way. Different parts of the UK have different numbers of bank holidays. England and Wales have eight, but Scotland has nine and Northern Ireland has ten.

People in Scotland and Northern Ireland don't get more legal holiday entitlement. They get the same typical 28 days as the rest of the UK. It's just that in those areas many people have slightly less choice as to when they take their days off. Having more bank holidays doesn't entitle you to more days off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    For most people it made no difference. It just meant that bank holidays were included in the allowance rather than being in addition.

For a lot of people as well it meant that the original 20 days didn't incorporate the bank holidays as annual leave.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianx wrote: »
    It doesn't work that way. Different parts of the UK have different numbers of bank holidays. England and Wales have eight, but Scotland has nine and Northern Ireland has ten.

People in Scotland and Northern Ireland don't get more legal holiday entitlement. They get the same typical 28 days as the rest of the UK. It's just that in those areas many people have slightly less choice as to when they take their days off. Having more bank holidays doesn't entitle you to more days off.

Well we all know Scotland's & Northern Ireland's voice doesn't count for anything that matters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is a good point. Here in NI we get St Paddys day and 12th July but still only 28 days holidays. We should have 30 days if the theory was correct
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we all know Scotland's & Northern Ireland's voice doesn't count for anything that matters.

Another good point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before the change in the law that meant we all got more holiday I had 20 days plus bank holidays after I got 28 days minus bank holidays. Never quite worked out why I was supposed to be so pleased I'd do a jig ?

Instead of making everyone better off it seemed we all got the same or less. Was a con really much like nmw that affects se in a very bad way.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before the change in the law that meant we all got more holiday I had 20 days plus bank holidays after I got 28 days minus bank holidays. Never quite worked out why I was supposed to be so pleased I'd do a jig ? .

Surely 20 + 8 is the same as 28 - 8. You still get 20 days which you can use when you want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before the change in the law that meant we all got more holiday I had 20 days plus bank holidays after I got 28 days minus bank holidays. Never quite worked out why I was supposed to be so pleased I'd do a jig ?

Instead of making everyone better off it seemed we all got the same or less. Was a con really much like nmw that affects se in a very bad way.

A lot used to get just 20 days which included the bank holidays...now they get 28 days. I think your maths is wrong how are you worse off?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That was up to your employer though. I only got 20 days where I was working at the time and they included the Bank Holidays then. So I only had 12 days to choose when I wanted.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We get 30 days + 3 days Xmas week + bank holidays.

Also long service leave after 2 years which adds on another 3 days annual leave.

So I'm currently on 44 days leave a year.

I think we also get 3 extra days after 25 years although it's a one off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot used to get just 20 days which included the bank holidays...now they get 28 days. I think your maths is wrong how are you worse off?

I didn't say I was worse off I just couldn't see why I was supposed to be struck happy by the change. Mind if we have extra bank holidays like some people want I am worse off because I can't take my holidays when I want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't say I was worse off I just couldn't see why I was supposed to be struck happy by the change. Mind if we have extra bank holidays like some people want I am worse off because I can't take my holidays when I want.
    Because some employers used to only give you 20 days holiday including the Bank Holidays. Why wouldn't somebody be happy about getting 8 days extra holiday? You seem to be under some false impression that the minimum of 20 days holiday didn't used to include Bank Holidays when it did.
  • Options
    David_Flett1David_Flett1 Posts: 9,309
    Forum Member
    No it wouldn't. It is 28 days which can include the Bank Holidays so if an extra Bank Holiday was added you would still only get 28 days off. That is why it annoyed me when David Cameron was going on about having an extra day off when we had the royal wedding Bank Holiday. Er no many of us had yet another day taken out of our holiday entitlement.

The 28 day figure is broken up as 20 days plus bank holidays because 20 days is considered being equivalent to 4 weeks annual leave. If you use your criteria then people would have to cut short one of their weeks by a day and perhaps that would be equivalent to losing 3 days of their break as no doubt having to turn up top work one day such as a Friday would mean a whole weekend would be disrupted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because some employers used to only give you 20 days holiday including the Bank Holidays. Why wouldn't somebody be happy about getting 8 days extra holiday? You seem to be under some false impression that the minimum of 20 days holiday didn't used to include Bank Holidays when it did.

Ok I'll try once more ... I used to get 28 days holiday
    I was then given 28 days minus bank holidays
    I was no better off therefore I could not see why I was supposed to be over the moon happy about it.

I was talking about me not anyone else.

You seem to think everyone got the same amount of holiday when we didn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 28 day figure is broken up as 20 days plus bank holidays because 20 days is considered being equivalent to 4 weeks annual leave. If you use your criteria then people would have to cut short one of their weeks by a day and perhaps that would be equivalent to losing 3 days of their break as no doubt having to turn up top work one day such as a Friday would mean a whole weekend would be disrupted.
    I really have no clue what you are talking about? Criteria? I am talking about what the minimum holiday entitlement used to be and what it is now. It used to be 20 days and now it is 28 days. It always included Bank Holidays so it is now 8 days extra.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok I'll try once more ... I used to get 28 days holiday
    I was then given 28 days minus bank holidays
    I was no better off therefore I could not see why I was supposed to be over the moon happy about it.

I was talking about me not anyone else.

You seem to think everyone got the same amount of holiday when we didn't.
    And I already pointed out earlier in the thread that was up to your employer. The minimum entitlement went up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really have no clue what you are talking about? Criteria? I am talking about what the minimum holiday entitlement used to be and what it is now. It used to be 20 days and now it is 28 days. It always included Bank Holidays so it is now 8 days extra.

I was told they couldn't give me less than they did 20 days plus bank holidays, if they could have they would at the time I was working for nastiest bullies you could ever meet.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Northern Ireland has ten.

What's the 2 that not all get then cos I get 12 statutory holidays?

When I worked for a call centre a few years ago they worked around it by putting Christmas day as a rota day and scheduling us all in for the Saturday, then making people take annual or unpaid leave on the Saturday as they had too many staff on rota.