Options

When will we get a 4K/UHD linear channel on Sky?

Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
Forum Member
As per title

When will we get a 4K/UHD linear channel on Sky? Virgin etc

Streaming is the future yes but not for a couple of yrs,
our infrastructure is not yet 4K ready

I'd suggest putting a 4K station initially for...

Entertainment on Ch 200

Cinema on Ch 300

Sports on Ch 400

This is why 3D didn't take off

I said yrs ago maybe to film movies & sports and some select entertainment shows by default in 4K & 3D then downscale to 2D, HD & SD.
We would have had a massive library of content now, in ALL formats.

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not enough content to warrant any linear channel, on any platform.
    streaming/progressive download will be the preferred option for quite some time.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,638
    Forum Member
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    As per title

When will we get a 4K/UHD linear channel on Sky? Virgin etc

Streaming is the future yes but not for a couple of yrs,
    our infrastructure is not yet 4K ready

I'd suggest putting a 4K station initially for...

Entertainment on Ch 200

Cinema on Ch 300

Sports on Ch 400

This is why 3D didn't take off

3D didn't take off (AGAIN!!) as people generally aren't interested in it, so just another pointless 3D attempt.

As for 4K, there seems little use for that either, people won't view from close enough to get the benefit from HD, so they certainly aren't going to much MUCH closer to get benefit from 4K.

Even on the stunning 4K shop demos, if you connect a normal HD set to the same source side by side you can't tell any difference at anything approaching sensible viewing distances, and not even at silly viewing distances either.
  • Options
    giannigianni Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even on the stunning 4K shop demos, if you connect a normal HD set to the same source side by side you can't tell any difference at anything approaching sensible viewing distances, and not even at silly viewing distances either.

Every shop demo I have seen (Currys, John Lewis, etc.) has had the contrast/brightness/etc. turned up on the 4K set making the picture almost unwatchable; yes I can see more detail and less pixilation but what I see is not what I want to watch for hours on end at home.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think within the next 2 years sky will have enough content to bring out a 4k channel.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    I think within the next 2 years sky will have enough content to bring out a 4k channel.

i still believe they'll choose to go down the IPTV route though, rather than "channel" as you know it just now. and i suspect it will be "on demand" rather than linear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gianni wrote: »
    Every shop demo I have seen (Currys, John Lewis, etc.) has had the contrast/brightness/etc. turned up on the 4K set making the picture almost unwatchable; yes I can see more detail and less pixilation but what I see is not what I want to watch for hours on end at home.

You're rather missing the point, TV's in shops are set to specific 'demo' mode because of the unnaturally bright conditions you're viewing under.

If the sets were set to normal home viewing mode they would look absolutely crap under store conditions.

But in any case, your comments have no relation to this thread anyway, it's nothing to do with 4K.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »

I would expect a '4K' channel from Sky, just as they did a '3D' channel, but probably not more than one?.
  • Options
    rscottrscott Posts: 6,843
    Forum Member
    They've said the F1 UHD coverage will be the whole weekend, not just qualifying/race, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a (part time) linear channel for that.

As subscriber numbers grow, a linear channel or two become more cost effective, so I think there might even be a single UHD entertainment channel some time this year with a mix of movie and other content. There's simply not enough out there to have multiple UHD channels.
  • Options
    disremberdisrember Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we know that an upgrade is coming to the boxes to allow the boxes to record more then 4 channels (but we dont know how many) and also to support the watching of the astra uhd channel as its broadcasted in away the box dosnt currently support, so I imagine this will be channels appear.
  • Options
    atannatann Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    rscott wrote: »
    They've said the F1 UHD coverage will be the whole weekend, not just qualifying/race, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a (part time) linear channel for that.

As subscriber numbers grow, a linear channel or two become more cost effective, so I think there might even be a single UHD entertainment channel some time this year with a mix of movie and other content. There's simply not enough out there to have multiple UHD channels.

That is what I need to know. As I always record the race weekend for flexibility. I'm not going to pay for SkyQ, if I can only watch it live. Is there an option Ondemand for all UHD content?
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atann wrote: »
    That is what I need to know. As I always record the race weekend for flexibility. I'm not going to pay for SkyQ, if I can only watch it live. Is there an option Ondemand for all UHD content?

F1 will be like football where UHD is available via red button or through the menu so no doubt you can record there. Although I've hardly ever used the red button since its not there that much so i go through menu.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    disrember wrote: »
    we know that an upgrade is coming to the boxes to allow the boxes to record more then 4 channels (but we dont know how many) and also to support the watching of the astra uhd channel as its broadcasted in away the box dosnt currently support, so I imagine this will be channels appear.

Have Sky confirmed the update will include the ability to receive the Astra UHD channel?
  • Options
    disremberdisrember Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no, neither have they confirmed the extra recording options, but its looks as if this coming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    disrember wrote: »
    no, neither have they confirmed the extra recording options, but its looks as if this coming.

The extra recordings was mentioned by Sky in a briefing to a lot of the tech press, along with voice search. I've not seen any similar mention of the change to allow UHD manual channels.
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,861
    Forum Member
    3D didn't take off (AGAIN!!) as people generally aren't interested in it, so just another pointless 3D attempt.

It's not pointless. There is still plenty of 3D content on Sky, even if the majority of viewers were not interested. It's a niche interest and always has been. Plus there are many 3D Blu-ray discs available.
  • Options
    ozsatozsat Posts: 5,757
    Forum Member
    The UHD football is not in the EPG - but that can be recorded and played back later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Another and probably better way to view and record the UHD content is via
    Home>Sports>Ultra HD

The uhd listings become available during the week before they are live.
    You can click on them to watch live if they are broadcasting live and set to record them at anytime.
    Also allows you to use pause during the live play
    No UHD this weekend as its an FA Cup weekend, so 14th Jan will be the next UHD match.

Nothing announcened from Sky for F1 yet if all the sessions and live pre/post race progs will be in UHD.
    Should know more soon, but would hope like they did for those 3d broadcasts that they entice with some of the f1 testing end Feb, early March.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Another and probably better way to view and record the UHD content is via
    Home>Sports>Ultra HD

The uhd listings become available during the week before they are live.
    You can click on them to watch live if they are broadcasting live and set to record them at anytime.
    Also allows you to use pause during the live play
    No UHD this weekend as its an FA Cup weekend, so 14th Jan will be the next UHD match.

Nothing announcened from Sky for F1 yet if all the sessions and live pre/post race progs will be in UHD.
    Should know more soon, but would hope like they did for those 3d broadcasts that they entice with some of the f1 testing end Feb, early March.

That sounds more positive. Watched a demo of uhd in Curry's on a LG OLED. I couldn't believe how good it looks. If F1 is going to look like that, I'll have to take the plunge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its disappointing the Sky Q box is only 2TB, thought they would go for 4TB. How much space does a two hour UHD recording take on the box? Going from a 2TB Sky HD box is not much of an upgrade. The other features don't interest me, only want it for UHD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its disappointing the Sky Q box is only 2TB, thought they would go for 4TB. How much space does a two hour UHD recording take on the box? Going from a 2TB Sky HD box is not much of an upgrade. The other features don't interest me, only want it for UHD.

Cost. I'd think. It's still double the capacity of the Virgin or BT UHD boxes.
  • Options
    Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member

If they bought out a new Box that had,

the EPG of Sky+HD with
    the added features of Sky Q
    The look of Sky Q (Box only)
    Personal planners
    4tb HDD &
    UHD channels on the EPG,

I truly believe millions would upgrade tomorrow.

sky Q is a mess.
  • Options
    Forum Member

the EPG of Sky+HD with
    Personal planners
    4tb HDD &
    UHD channels on the EPG,

sky Q is a mess.

Sounds good, when are Sky releasing that box!
  • Options
    pward1965pward1965 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    That sounds more positive. Watched a demo of uhd in Curry's on a LG OLED. I couldn't believe how good it looks. If F1 is going to look like that, I'll have to take the plunge.

Demos in stores always look good, live broadcasts tend not to be to the same standard. I have an LG OLED and it does produce a brilliant picture, although i have been more impressed with HDR than 4K. The Grand Tour in 4K and HDR looks absolutely stunning.

I guess we will have to wait and see how good F1 looks in 4K.
  • Options
    Forum Member

the EPG of Sky+HD with
    Personal planners
    4tb HDD &
    UHD channels on the EPG,

sky Q is a mess.

As someone who's had Sky Q since March and occasionally uses a Sky+HD box, I'd say you're utterly wrong about carrying over the old EPG.

UHD channels on the EPG may well happen, when there's actually enough UHD content to warrant it.
  • Options
    Robin ArmitageRobin Armitage Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    rscott wrote: »
    As someone who's had Sky Q since March and occasionally uses a Sky+HD box, I'd say you're utterly wrong about carrying over the old EPG.

UHD channels on the EPG may well happen, when there's actually enough UHD content to warrant it.

I'd say you're utterly wrong :-)