Options

Fears that UK is heading towards 'train crash' Brexit

TheEngineerTheEngineer Posts: 7,789
Forum Member

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/06/fears-that-uk-is-heading-towards-train-crash-brexit
Sir Tim Barrow, Britain’s new permanent representative in Brussels, faces the daunting task of stopping what colleagues and critics suspect is a tumble towards a disorderly exit from the European Union.

Where once the choice was between hard and soft Brexit, the new worry in diplomatic and business circles is that the UK is heading for “train crash” Brexit, a scenario in which incompatible negotiating demands from Downing Street and the other 27 member states result in Britain walking away without a deal on either the terms of separation or future trading relations with the EU.

We can always resort to WTO rules though. Oh hang on a minute
The problem is that even moving to WTO tariffs would require agreement. Other signatories around the world would need to accept that Britain had a right to inherit the same rates negotiated with the EU. In the case of agriculture, where there are shared quotas in place to limit cheap imports, Britain would have to negotiate its share with French farmers or risk losing entire export markets.

“People like Fox suggest it will be an easy and painless process [to inherit WTO rules] but I am not really convinced of that,” said McGivern. “It will be relatively easy for industrial goods but not for agriculture. Because the pie has to be split, it becomes a zero-sum game.”
Many of the Tory sceptics pressuring Downing Street fear all this talk of transition arrangements is a trap to prevent the Brexit referendum result from being implemented.

“They are looking for ways they will be betrayed,” said Mark Leonard of the European Council on Foreign Relations. “They don’t want to get bogged down. They would rather just take the economic hit.”

So if you are a supporter of Brexit how much of a hit are you prepared to accept before you change your mind?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly doubt they'd restrict us entering on WTO. That's just ludicrous, we were a member before we joined the awful EU so it will just resort back to how it was originally.

The deal is another matter. I honestly think if the EU gives is nothing and looks unreasonable then many would join the Brexit camp. We want limits to migration and to have the ability to make our own trade deals with countries outside the EU.
  • Options
    James_OrtonJames_Orton Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    I honestly doubt they'd restrict us entering on WTO. That's just ludicrous, we were a member before we joined the awful EU so it will just resort back to how it was originally.

The deal is another matter. I honestly think if the EU gives is nothing and looks unreasonable then many would join the Brexit camp. We want limits to migration and to have the ability to make our own trade deals with countries outside the EU.

we're still a member of the WTO.
  • Options
    bluewomble88bluewomble88 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For God's sake, yet another "Woe is me" thread started by the usual suspect. Get a life. You lost.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I am sure the French farmers will have no problem with us sharing their quotas. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know. It's just ludicrous to think Brexit will remove our status.

I remember reading some delusional post on this forum saying we'd go to Syria status. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For God's sake, yet another "Woe is me" thread started by the usual suspect. Get a life. You lost.

Thank you for that insightful post on the most important event happening to this country for decades, one that will have consequences for generations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure the French farmers will have no problem with us sharing their quotas. :rolleyes:

French farmers are not going to stop the UK operating under WTO that's nonsense. We already joined before EU. We'd revert back to original status. To think they'd block that is insane.

Obviously the EU will want some form of deal otherwise they'd not get a penny.
  • Options
    NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    Thank you for that insightful post on the most important event happening to this country for decades, one that will have consequences for generations.

Indeed, every search engine keyword search for "Brexit" will just produce a ream of DS threads started by you for the next couple of millennia.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The whole "denying reality" schtick from the Brexiters is getting quite boring now.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not true. We all lost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know. It's just ludicrous to think Brexit will remove our status.

I remember reading some delusional post on this forum saying we'd go to Syria status. :p

it's been discussed at all levels. The worst case scenario is we could be asked to pay compensation for having the wrong tariffs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's been discussed at all levels. The worst case scenario is we could be asked to pay compensation for having the wrong tariffs.

Yep. Compensation for being a member of the WTO which we where originally. This is all unprecedented so nobody knows what will happen.

I guarantee you though we will not be relegated to Syria status. ;)
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member

Even with the worst train crash in UK history, (Quintinshill rail disaster) thanks to the British spirit during the first world war the lines were re-opened within a very short space of time and operations returned to normal very quickly.

It's the same with most train crashes.

Is that the message that you are trying to convey?

(You must be a truly awful engineer, if you can't work how to repair a rail accident promptly)
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    The whole "denying reality" schtick from the Brexiters is getting quite boring now.
    TheEngineer's posts are getting boring now. He needs a new hobby.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »

The stuff the OP posts is not reality, though. It's pure conjecture.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The stuff the OP posts is not reality, though. It's pure conjecture.

It is the reality that faces the people trying to sort out this mess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed. There are solutions for most of the problems ahead but denying that they are problems in the first place doesn't help anyone.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Indeed. There are solutions for most of the problems ahead but denying that they are problems in the first place doesn't help anyone.

It doesn't occur to you that

1) Certain sections of the media exaggerate the "mess". There's a difference between highlighting problems as they arise, and presenting conjecture as fact.

2) Sorting out "the mess" is what some people are paid to do, and they are quite able to do it.

Everything anyone does involves problems that have to be circumvented. Why single out Brexit? Staying in the EU would have been no different. C'ést la vie!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't occur to you that

1) Certain sections of the media exaggerate the "mess". There's a difference between highlighting problems as they arise, and presenting conjecture as fact.

True. Just as there are people who are underestimating and dismissing the problems. We needs realists to take us forward.
    2) Sorting out "the mess" is what some people are paid to do, and they are quite able to do it.

Yes, we have people called "experts" but Team Leave don't want to hear from them
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I reckon a more apposite train analogy might be that we're heading for Heritage Steam Railway Britain where we become a quaint echo of what we used to be
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,100
    Forum Member

From what from WTO executives have said, Britain would have to re-negotiate the protocols under which it would be a member. There are over 160 countries that are members of the WTO and they decide who will be a member and on what terms.

One stumbling block is said to be agriculture, but if there enough countries who object is another matter.

Here are the dummies guide to joining the WTO. :D
  • Options
    Jayceef1Jayceef1 Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    From what from WTO executives have said, Britain would have to re-negotiate the protocols under which it would be a member. There are over 160 countries that are members of the WTO and they decide who will be a member and on what terms.

One stumbling block is said to be agriculture, but if there enough countries who object is another matter.

We are already a member of the WTO. We don't need to join.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »

While true that we need to negotiate the tariffs and quotas, we are a fully paid up member of the WTO. This allows us to trade under WTO rules with tariffs we see fit.

Once we have renegotiated our tariffs and quotas if it is found that we had tariffs set too high or to low a quote, then we will have to pay compensation to the nations involved.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,100
    Forum Member
    Jayceef1 wrote: »
    We are already a member of the WTO. We don't need to join.

That's why I referred to 'protocols', the joining link is to indicate what is expected of members and the negotiations that may be required.
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get a life. You lost.

Is Brexit developing as you expected when you voted to leave ?