Options

EE: Michelle vs Jay - did show just dismiss male sex crime victims?

BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
Forum Member
✭✭
Given that the age of consent in Florida is 18....

Jay unknowingly sexts underage girl, is (initially) rejected by the Mitchells and labelled a paedo and given criminal record in some big storyline.

Michelle knowingly sleeps with underage boy, and gets "craddlesnatcher" followed by a wink and a hug.

I know consent laws vary but it does seem a bit problematic. If you have sex with a 17 year old in Florida it's the same as having sex with a 15 year old here. A wink and a hug isn't really appropriate is it?

Or is the difference that the victim in Michelle's case is male and therefore 'not as bad'? Either way it's fairly distasteful.

Comments

• Options
    Hollyoaks14Hollyoaks14 Posts: 1,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have a point :)
  • Options
    GardenaGardena Posts: 8,602
    Forum Member
    BomoLad wrote: »
    Or is the difference that the victim in Michelle's case is male and therefore 'not as bad'? Either way it's fairly distasteful.

Sadly that's the answer .
  • Options
    AncalagonAncalagon Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that the age of consent in Florida is 18....

Jay unknowingly sexts underage girl, is (initially) rejected by the Mitchells and labelled a paedo and given criminal record in some big storyline.

Michelle knowingly sleeps with underage boy, and gets "craddlesnatcher" followed by a wink and a hug.

I know consent laws vary but it does seem a bit problematic. If you have sex with a 17 year old in Florida it's the same as having sex with a 15 year old here. A wink and a hug isn't really appropriate is it?

I guess it is the law in America, it's quite a strange law.. apparently in Florida 16 and 17 year olds can apply for a provision that makes it legal for them to have sex with another person aged 16-23... which to be honest just seems arbitrary and dumb... if they are allowed to have sex or deemed to be emotionally mature enough for sexual relations I don't see why it should have a random age limit on who they can have sex with..
  • Options
    Dan-BevisDan-Bevis Posts: 12,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gardena wrote: »
    Sadly that's the answer .

Yep. Michelle even highlighted it herself in episode when she said something about 'If it were a lad and a younger / older woman then him and all his mates would be celebrating down the pub'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may have got this wrong, but the 17 year old was her student, wasn't he?

Under UK law isn't sleeping with someone under 18 over whom you have pastoral responsibilities/duty of care, like a teacher (or however it's worded) also illegal?

So even if it was here, with different age of consent laws, what she did would still have been considered illegal and the boy a victim. The verbal fist-bump she got from Sharon really does look like a very poor choice.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may have got this wrong, but the 17 year old was her student, wasn't he?

Under UK law isn't sleeping with someone under 18 over whom you have pastoral responsibilities/duty of care, like a teacher (or however it's worded) also illegal?

So even if it was here, with different age of consent laws, what she did would still have been considered illegal and the boy a victim. The verbal fist-bump she got from Sharon really does look like a very poor choice.

Absolutely, and Michelle would have been jailed.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 139,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think EE are brave to highlight the fact that female sexual abuse is very often viewed as an older woman and a young lad being "lucky" to get it on with her and Sharon's crass comment at the end highlighted that attitude perfectly
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think EE are brave to highlight the fact that female sexual abuse is very often viewed as an older woman and a young lad being "lucky" to get it on with her and Sharon's crass comment at the end highlighted that attitude perfectly

I agree
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horrible Michelle is a sexual predator, no two ways about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But it's only brave if there's a subsequent storyline where Michelle is arrested and put on trial.

If all that happens is (as I suspect) she settles down into Albert Square life and it's never mentioned again, how is that brave from the producers? If anything it just highlights that nobody takes male crimes of sexual abuse seriously.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 139,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very few female abusers are jailed :(so it would be realistic if Michelle doesn't

The crime was committed in America in any case so she'd have to be extradited
  • Options
    owen10owen10 Posts: 128,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very few female abusers are jailed :(so it would be realistic if Michelle doesn't

Well that is one way of getting rid of the character :D
  • Options
    NefersitraNefersitra Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ancalagon wrote: »
    I guess it is the law in America, it's quite a strange law.. apparently in Florida 16 and 17 year olds can apply for a provision that makes it legal for them to have sex with another person aged 16-23... which to be honest just seems arbitrary and dumb... if they are allowed to have sex or deemed to be emotionally mature enough for sexual relations I don't see why it should have a random age limit on who they can have sex with..

My understanding of the law in the USA is that most states the age of consent is 16-18 but there is a provision that if someone under the age of consent but over 14 is having consensual sex with someone the same age or up to 3 years older, the it's not considered illegal.

Even if Michelle's lover was 18, as his teacher she would legally be in a position of trust as his teacher and that has specific penalties and is a separate law.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah but it's only brave if they highlight that as an issue and as being problematic. To me it seemed as if they put the boys age at 17 to provide redemption. "Oh that's not so bad", citing age of consent laws here.

I agree if they make this an ongoing issue then it's a great way to highlight the story.

But we know that's probably not going to happen. Tonight's "he was 17" and the "craddlesnatcher" verbal fist-bump from Sharon is the end of it. I don't think that's brave I think it's the show being woefully insensitive and making a joke out of what is an underage victim of a sex crime, both here and in the US.
  • Options
    Calvin93Calvin93 Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    I find the reaction to all this bizarre!!

While the age of consent might be 18 in America it isn't the UK, here its 16 so while yeah Michelle was stupid to do what she did had this happened in England no one would be batting an eyelid so the reaction is a little over the top :p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Calvin93 wrote: »

While the age of consent might be 18 in America it isn't the UK, here its 16 so while yeah Michelle was stupid to do what she did had this happened in England no one would be batting an eyelid so the reaction is a little over the top :p:D

Wrong. She was in a position of trust. If she slept with a 17 year old student here she would have broken the law and been guilty of sex crime.

Sadly I think the writers took the same attitude as you have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Lets send her back to America where the Americans on Digital Spy can judge her more harshly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wrong. She was in a position of trust. If she slept with a 17 year old student here she would have broken the law and been guilty of sex crime.

The age of consent here is 16 so had it happened here she couldn't have been found guilty of a sex crime. All what would have happened is her losing her job.

I think all this highlights is double standards. If it had happened here this debate wouldn't be happening but because it happened in America suddenly she is a big bad sex pervert. Its a bit silly :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In fact, contrary to being 'brave' on the issue I think Michelle's comment that if a man was in the same position he'd get high-fived (completely ignoring their own storyline with Jay where a man did far less and got a sentence, criminal record and almost lost himself in a drug's spiral as a result), actually I think was the writers looking for sympathy for the character.

Can you imagine a male character committing a child sex crime, having a bit of a weep in the Square and then their best made patted them on the back and said "Like em young, eh!' with a wry smile.

Given that a lot of kids stay on in full time education until they're 18 here, maybe they should try that with a male teacher. I suspect the reaction would be different, and the writers would treat it very differently. Really is highly insensitive.
  • Options
    Dan-BevisDan-Bevis Posts: 12,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly. She abused her position, doesn't matter the ages or physical location.

And come on guys, isn't Michelle's son, Mark Jr, only like 2 or 3 years off this guy's age? That's just creepy... :o
  • Options
    Teabag84Teabag84 Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst the law may be different in america, I say this from experience, being of a legal age and engaging in a relationship with someone so much older makes no difference. What difference does a month, two or 9 make? It's a number! 17 to 16 means nothing in many respects. You're still at school, still can't drive, still don't vote... you're still a kid.
    Whilst the boy may have been fully aware of what he was doing even without being his teacher she still abused her position as an adult. She should have understood at that age he didn't understand love and it's meaning/consequences.
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lock the predator up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In fact, contrary to being 'brave' on the issue I think Michelle's comment that if a man was in the same position he'd get high-fived (completely ignoring their own storyline with Jay where a man did far less and got a sentence, criminal record and almost lost himself in a drug's spiral as a result), actually I think was the writers looking for sympathy for the character.

Can you imagine a male character committing a child sex crime, having a bit of a weep in the Square and then their best made patted them on the back and said "Like em young, eh!' with a wry smile.

Given that a lot of kids stay on in full time education until they're 18 here, maybe they should try that with a male teacher. I suspect the reaction would be different, and the writers would treat it very differently. Really is highly insensitive.
    No it isn't. Lets say if Kush had slept with a 17 year old people would have been high fiving him and I doubt a thread like this would exist. The issue is coming from the different countries age of consent, which is where the blurred line is. I think this is what has passed you by.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The age of consent here is 16 so had it happened here she couldn't have been found guilty of a sex crime. All what would have happened is her losing her job.

No you're wrong.

When someone is in a position of care/trust of someone else e.g a teacher as Michelle was, the age of consent isn't 16. It's against the law and she would have been arrested and put on trial.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dan-Bevis wrote: »
    Exactly. She abused her position, doesn't matter the ages or physical location.

And come on guys, isn't Michelle's son, Mark Jr, only like 2 or 3 years off this guy's age? That's just creepy... :o
    And also Michelle was around the same age when she slept with an older man who was about the same age as she is now