Options

EE: Michelle vs Jay - did show just dismiss male sex crime victims?

Comments

• Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Calvin93 wrote: »
    No it isn't. Lets say if Kush has slept with a 17 year old people would have been high fiving him. The issue is coming from the different countries age of consent, which is where the blurred line is. I think this is what has passed you by.

multiple times people have pointed out to you in this thread that the age of consent at 16 does not apply to people in positions of care such as teacher (as happened in this storyline) and that sleeping with someone aged 17 in the UK if you're their teacher is illegal.

I don't know how many times you need to see it before it sinks in, but I'll give it another go.

If the same thing happened with Michelle to a student here, of the same age (17) she'd be arrested.
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An interesting reversal of Michelle's previous storyline - when she was a student sleeping with her much older teacher (remember Geoff Barnes?). They even planned to move to Scotland and get married. It only ended when the teacher realised Michelle wasn't as much in love with him as he was with her.

Of course Michelle wasn't a child then, but he was still her teacher and there was a 30 year age gap.
  • Options
    Calvin93Calvin93 Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    J-B wrote: »
    Lock the predator up.

Don't you lust after Lou who is 14? :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BomoLad wrote: »
    multiple times people have pointed out to you in this thread that the age of consent at 16 does not apply to people in positions of care such as teacher (as happened in this storyline) and that sleeping with someone aged 17 in the UK if you're there teacher is illegal.

I don't know how many times you need to see it before it sinks in, but I'll give it another go.

The only person pointing it out is you and I am disagreeing with you ;-).
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 139,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Op you're being pretty rude to everyone commenting
  • Options
    owen10owen10 Posts: 128,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't you lust after Lou who is 14? :blush:
    No. He lusts after Tilly who is an adult in real life :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only person pointing it out is you and I am disagreeing with you ;-).

It's like disagreeing burglary isn't a crime.
  • Options
    thirstyelephantthirstyelephant Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An interesting reversal of Michelle's previous storyline - when she was a student sleeping with her much older teacher (remember Geoff Barnes?). They even planned to move to Scotland and get married. It only ended when the teacher realised Michelle wasn't as much in love with him as he was with her.

Of course Michelle wasn't a child then, but he was still her teacher and there was a 30 year age gap.

Don't forget she was pregnant at 16 by a 40 odd year old Den Watts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    owen10 wrote: »
    No. He lusts after Tilly who is an adult in real life :D

She is wearing a school uniform..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Op you're being pretty rude to everyone commenting

I'm not being rude to anyone commenting.

Unless you think someone disagreeing with you makes them 'rude'?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She is wearing a school uniform..

The actress is an adult
  • Options
    NefersitraNefersitra Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the reaction to all this bizarre!!

While the age of consent might be 18 in America it isn't the UK, here its 16 so while yeah Michelle was stupid to do what she did had this happened in England no one would be batting an eyelid so the reaction is a little over the top :p:D

It's illegal in the UK for someone in a position of trust - like a teacher - to engage in sexual relations with either a person under 18 or an 18 year old they are still teaching.

When I started at comprehensive, our tech teacher was in his late 30s and his wife was 19 with a new baby - they'd met at his previous school (which was in the local area so we had the gossip) and she'd dropped out of the Sixth Form when she was 17 (around Easter). He'd left the school at the end of the school year (July), they were married in the September after a "whirlwind" relationship. I believe that they are still together, but the kids at the school I was at still tell the story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not being rude to anyone commenting.

Unless you think someone disagreeing with you makes them 'rude'?
    If you think making sarky comments about being brave is not rude then fine
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you think making sarky comments about being brave is not rude then fine

I wasn't being rude I just disagreed.

But when you say "being rude to people", you could have said "disagreed with me".
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Male victims don't deserve any help or support according to rhe law. Only goes for women apparently. Honestly Eastenders needs to focus on male victims. It is highly dostastfil to only focus on female victims.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The actress is an adult
    What is wrong with lusting for the actress instead of the character
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What is wrong with lusting for the actress instead of the character

Nothing but when the character is 14 and always in a school uniform its a bit weird someone would find that sexy
  • Options
    Teabag84Teabag84 Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fact, contrary to being 'brave' on the issue I think Michelle's comment that if a man was in the same position he'd get high-fived (completely ignoring their own storyline with Jay where a man did far less and got a sentence, criminal record and almost lost himself in a drug's spiral as a result), actually I think was the writers looking for sympathy for the character.

Can you imagine a male character committing a child sex crime, having a bit of a weep in the Square and then their best made patted them on the back and said "Like em young, eh!' with a wry smile.

Given that a lot of kids stay on in full time education until they're 18 here, maybe they should try that with a male teacher. I suspect the reaction would be different, and the writers would treat it very differently. Really is highly insensitive.

As they now have to stay in education or apprenticeship until 18 I find this most intasteful. Even without that, a 45 year old should know sex with a 17 year old is wrong! -: I said in a previous post, what difference is 16 and 17? They are still at school! Jay was wrong but didn't know he was and yet Michelle we are meant to feel sorry for!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nefersitra wrote: »
    It's illegal in the UK for someone in a position of trust - like a teacher - to engage in sexual relations with either a person under 18 or an 18 year old they are still teaching.

When I started at comprehensive, our tech teacher was in his late 30s and his wife was 19 with a new baby - they'd met at his previous school (which was in the local area so we had the gossip) and she'd dropped out of the Sixth Form when she was 17 (around Easter). He'd left the school at the end of the school year (July), they were married in the September after a "whirlwind" relationship. I believe that they are still together, but the kids at the school I was at still tell the story.

Yes, thanks for pointing this out. I wonder if the writers were ignorant (of the fact that what Michelle did is also illegal under UK law) or know but didn't care and still thought the fact a teacher slept with her 17 year old pupil could act as some kind of redemption for the character in a "oh well, it's not that bad", way and everyone had sympathy with her.

It's really fairly extraordinary, ignoring the legal differences between the two countries, that the end result of an adult breaking the law and sleeping with someone under age is for the audience to be steered towards sympathy for them with the weeping and the lost marriage and lost house and all the rest of it.

Of course there remains a possibility that this is an ongoing thing that'll involve lots of legal trouble for Michelle over the coming weeks and months, but on the fair chance it doesn't turn out that way I think it sets a very bad example.
  • Options
    thirstyelephantthirstyelephant Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Teabag84 wrote: »
    As they now have to stay in education or apprenticeship until 18 I find this most intasteful. Even without that, a 45 year old should know sex with a 17 year old is wrong! -: I said in a previous post, what difference is 16 and 17? They are still at school! Jay was wrong but didn't know he was and yet Michelle we are meant to feel sorry for!

I agree I'm not sure what EastEnders are thinking. Michelle said it had been going on for a year so he was 16, at least, when it started. Are we really supposed to think thats ok?

Michelle was one of my favourite characters growing up so I'm really not happy at what they are doing with her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing but when the character is 14 and always in a school uniform its a bit weird someone would find that sexy
    Maybe you should not think of her as Louise Mitchell and just think of her as Tilly Keeper the actress
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe you should not think of her as Louise Mitchell and just think of her as Tilly Keeper the actress

Why would I want to do that? Tilly is playing a role. She is styled as a 14 year old girl, made to look like a 14 year old girl and made to act like a 14 year old girl for this reason This is what we are being asked to see and think of her as.
  • Options
    GardenaGardena Posts: 8,602
    Forum Member
    No it isn't. Lets say if Kush had slept with a 17 year old people would have been high fiving him and I doubt a thread like this would exist. The issue is coming from the different countries age of consent, which is where the blurred line is. I think this is what has passed you by.

No , they would accuse him of the same thing . However if he was the 17 year old, people would high 5 him for scoring .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole 'is it okay to want to sleep with Louise Mitchell' thing is a bit of a derailment.
  • Options
    KatEndersKatEnders Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle and Jay relationship anyone? :D