Options

Was it wrong for most of the top dress designers to not dress Melania Trump

owen10owen10 Posts: 128,944
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
I thought it was disgraceful that nearly all the top well known dress designers decided not to design her a dress for the Presidential Inauguration and be associated with Trumps wife just because people would think they are Trump supporters. What has Melania Trump done to be treated like this

Well at least one designer, i think you might have heard of him called Ralph Lauren did not refuse and was happily to help and design a dress for his wife. We all know he was doing it for the money even though he does not needed. And i dont think he was bothered about celebrities not wearing his dresses anymore as he is well established

Comments

• Options
    JDFJDF Posts: 4,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owen10 wrote: »
    I thought it was disgraceful that nearly all the top well known dress designers decided not to be associated with Trumps wife just because people would think they are Trump supporters. Well at least one designer called Ralph Lauren did not refuse and was happily to help and sedig a dress for his wife. We all know he was doing it for the money even though he does not needed. And i dont think he was bothered about celebrities not wearing his dresses anymore as he is well established
    They are FREE to dress who they like .
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,969
    Forum Member
    They can do business with whoever they like.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is she royalty or something?
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I thought she looked great anyway. Who needs their overpriced tat anyway.

We haven't had such a glamorous First Lady since Jackie Kennedy.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    I thought it was disgraceful that nearly all the top well known dress designers decided not to design her a dress for the Presidential Inauguration and be associated with Trumps wife just because people would think they are Trump supporters. What has Melania Trump done to be treated like this

Well at least one designer, i think you might have heard of him called Ralph Lauren did not refuse and was happily to help and design a dress for his wife. We all know he was doing it for the money even though he does not needed. And i dont think he was bothered about celebrities not wearing his dresses anymore as he is well established

Makes good business sense, to design 1 dress might have made them loss the chance of designing hundreds of dresses, not worth the risk.
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,766
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

You think Ralph Lauren isn't overpriced tat?!

And she may be glamorous but give me substantive like Michelle Obama any day of the week over the vapid clothes horse the Americans have now.
  • Options
    001_ATLANTIS001_ATLANTIS Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Window dressing. If all we have to worry about is what Trump's wife was or was not wearing then the world would be a fine and dandy place. Sadly, it's not.
  • Options
    St DabeocSt Dabeoc Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope she's keeping a list
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,941
    Forum Member

She's the wife of the president, not a medieval King who can command the peasantry to work for him.

I suspect given Trump's outspoken views and those of his political running mates many of the designers wouldn't want to be associated with him in the slightest, let alone working on a specific dress to be worn at a high profile event in a manner that might be seen as endorsing him..

His brand is becoming very toxic amongst a lot of people, and anyone working with him is going to take that into account, in addition to any personal opinions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

Glamorous? :D. She looks like an ageing moll.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What makes you think Ralph Lauren was her last resort? I don't get that. She went around all the "top" designers and they all turned her down so she had to settle for Ralph Lauren? I thought Ralph Lauren was a top designer?
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

Indeed Michelle beats her in every way, except of course we haven't seen her tits.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to love how Trump's winning upset everyone...fun times ahead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »

Including people upset on Melania's behalf for having to slum it even though she looked great. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »

Not as funny as people being outraged because his moll couldn't get a dress made!
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not as funny as people being outraged because his moll couldn't get a dress made!

At least Bill was impressed.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/756998/Did-Bill-Clinton-eye-up-President-Donald-Trump-wife-Melania-inauguration-ceremony
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's going to have to get used to being shunned I'm afraid......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    ilarilar Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Is refusing to make a dress for someone because you don't like their politics any different to refusing to make a cake because of a slogan on it is deemed to be in favour of homosexuality that you have moral doubts about or even religious beliefs about?
    Homosexuality is legal as is the political party Trump advocates. In both scenarios you can always go elsewhere.
  • Options
    St DabeocSt Dabeoc Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't suppose people who sell $50,000 frocks have many opportunities to show how much they care about the little folk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ilar wrote: »
    Is refusing to make a dress for someone because you don't like their politics any different to refusing to make a cake because of a slogan on it is deemed to be in favour of homosexuality that you have moral doubts about or even religious beliefs about?
    Homosexuality is legal as is the political party Trump advocates. In both scenarios you can always go elsewhere.

Well different country for a start, but even if it happened here, being a wife of Donald isn't on the list of "protected characteristics" in our 2010 Equality Act.

I can't believe people are still banging on about that bloody cake! :D
  • Options
    ilarilar Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    I can see that but apart from being on a list, should people be able to say no to supplying a service making a dress, a cake, taking a dog in a taxi (even if its a guide dog )etc just because you don't like their colour, religion or sexuality? Why should small fry like a shop keeper be fined when the big fish apparently can decline someone with impunity, or are they less honest with their reasons- usually
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She looked good, she had a designer dress on. Plus Donald maintains it was biggest inauguration event in the history of bigly inaugurations and anyone saying otherwise is a liar. That's all that matters surely?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

First of all, rude!

Secondly, she probably looks better than most on their worst days tbh.

I think people picking on her are a disgrace. This selective guilt by association thing is bull.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ilar wrote: »
    I can see that but apart from being on a list, should people be able to say no to supplying a service making a dress, a cake, taking a dog in a taxi (even if its a guide dog )etc just because you don't like their colour, religion or sexuality? Why should small fry like a shop keeper be fined when the big fish apparently can decline someone with impunity, or are they less honest with their reasons- usually

Exactly!