Options

Was it wrong for most of the top dress designers to not dress Melania Trump

Comments

• Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So where has the story about designers refusing come from? Is there a link or is it just a rumour?
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    So where has the story about designers refusing come from? Is there a link or is it just a rumour?

It's actually not very complimentary to Ralph Lauren to make out he's the last resort when everyone else said "no"! :o
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,766
    Forum Member
    ilar wrote: »
    I can see that but apart from being on a list, should people be able to say no to supplying a service making a dress, a cake, taking a dog in a taxi (even if its a guide dog )etc just because you don't like their colour, religion or sexuality? Why should small fry like a shop keeper be fined when the big fish apparently can decline someone with impunity, or are they less honest with their reasons- usually

You're not comparing similar situations. She was apparently refused service because she is Melania Trump, wife of Donald Trump. If people specifically don't like an individual they are entitled to refuse service. If she had been refused because she was female, Christian or gay then she might have a case but she wasn't.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,969
    Forum Member
    Probably looks better than most on their worst days tbh.

I think people picking on her are a disgrace. This selective guilt by association thing is bull.

She looks plastic and false.

And perfectly ok imo to have an opinion on her questionable choice of husband and probable reason for choosing him.
    I wonder if someone as odious as him would have been as 'attractive' had he been a pauper.

It was hilarious when Trump lambasted people for criticizing Melania's speech when Michelle Obama had been praised for giving virtually the same speech.
    It didn't seem to cross his mind that the contents of the speech were not as relevant as the fact that his fille-de-joie was too thick to make her own speech and too thick to realise that people wouldn't notice the plagiarism!

...Or perhaps Melania made the speech first and Michelle copied her. This is an alternative fact and is as valid as the original fact!
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Elle magazine asked a number of American designers, or repeated views they'd made known elsewhere, earlier in the month. As far as I remember, the majority said they would dress her even though they didn't agree with her husband's politics because they're in favour of inclusivity.
  • Options
    St DabeocSt Dabeoc Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and their children are ugly and stupid
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She's a middle aged women ............surely she can dress herself
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Elle magazine asked a number of American designers, or repeated views they'd made known elsewhere, earlier in the month. As far as I remember, the majority said they would dress her even though they didn't agree with her husband's politics because they're in favour of inclusivity.

So they said they would dress her? The OP makes no sense then.

Anyway, with regard to her dress at the inauguration, I thought it was lovely whoever designed it. I'm not really into clothes, but it looked very nice, sixties-ish.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tom Ford and Marc Jacobs said they wouldn't work with her to design outfits, as I recall, but several of the designers approached made the point that they had no control who bought their clothes anyway.
    Anyway, with regard to her dress at the inauguration, I thought it was lovely whoever designed it. I'm not really into clothes, but it looked very nice, sixties-ish.

It was Ralph Lauren, who wasn't one of the designers quoted in Elle.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Props to Melania, she absolutely smashed it with her powder blue Ralph Lauren outfit....she was elegance personified.
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First World outrage :D
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,735
    Forum Member
    I thing the OP needs a new moral compass as theirs is broken.
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member

Yes it was, someone has noticed it is remarkably similar to Jackie Kennedy's dress
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owen10 wrote: »
    I thought it was disgraceful that nearly all the top well known dress designers decided not to design her a dress for the Presidential Inauguration and be associated with Trumps wife just because people would think they are Trump supporters. What has Melania Trump done to be treated like this

Well at least one designer, i think you might have heard of him called Ralph Lauren did not refuse and was happily to help and design a dress for his wife. We all know he was doing it for the money even though he does not needed. And i dont think he was bothered about celebrities not wearing his dresses anymore as he is well established

Seriously? WTF 😲
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,335
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    Props to Melania, she absolutely smashed it with her powder blue Ralph Lauren outfit....she was elegance personified.

Smashed it? :rolleyes: It's like she channeled Jackie O. using two soup cans and a piece of string.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Glamorous? :D. She looks like an ageing moll.

I can't see Bill Clinton looking better in such a dress. It's all a bit childish, a revenge of bitchy designers.
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just how many dresses was she planning on wearing?
  • Options
    razorback Tonyrazorback Tony Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Glamorous? :D. She looks like an ageing moll.

Aging moll? That's your opinion Taff, and in a free and democratic society you have every right to both hold it, and express it.
    She's 46 I believe, and doesn't look bad for it, IMO.
    That makes her 7 years younger than me, but if I'd walked into a bar when I was in my early 30s, and seen her there, I'd have dredged up my best line and taken a crack at her.
    No doubt she'd have shot me down in flames, it happened a bit back then, but I'd have got back in the saddle and carried on.
    Those were the days, even though I'm in a happy relationship now, I can still smile about my birddogging days of the past, and they're definitely in the past, I ain't going to screw this one up.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Got to love how Trump's winning upset everyone...fun times ahead.

The media has got such a grip on luvvies who depend on them for an easy income that none dare to step out of line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hillary looking at him OTOH :D You have to love Bill, he can appreciate things. He'd fit much better in politics in Italy or France than he ever did in US.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    The media has got such a grip on luvvies who depend on them for an easy income that none dare to step out of line.

Luvvies should from now on only appear in public in polyester as a form of protest. That will teach Trump a lesson.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    I see no problem if they freely choose not to supply her if that's the case.
    That said how much of it is is bullying and shaming within the industry like the number of republican actors in Hollywood that dare not come out as they will likely never work again?
    Thinking about it what is the difference between refusing make a Gay wedding cake because of your faith and refusing to make a dress because you disagree with the politics of the customers husband?
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That said how much of it is is bullying and shaming within the industry like the number of republican actors in Hollywood that dare not come out as they will likely never work again?
    Thinking about it what is the difference between refusing make a Gay wedding cake because of your faith and refusing to make a dress because you disagree with the politics of the customers husband?

It's quite sad really as the alternative was Hilary...and showing your allegiance towards her should be equally as shameful.
  • Options
    LoisLois Posts: 118,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I like the way they've red circled Bill Clinton, just in case we don't know which one he is! :D
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

Explained succinctly in post #29