2016-17 Premier League TV Fixtures Thread

Comments

• Options
    Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AshMan123 wrote: »
    Now try and plan the Manchester derby

Well that doesn't change much. It was never going to be that particular midweek
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 85,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that doesn't change much. It was never going to be that particular midweek

Says who?
  • Options
    sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    Says who?

With both clubs still in the FA Cup it couldn't have taken place then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sat-ire wrote: »
    With both clubs still in the FA Cup it couldn't have taken place then.

I answered this on the FA Cup thread, but it's probably more relevant here:

Well, if Man City had won today and Man Utd followed suit tomorrow, I don't think 10 days would have been too short notice to schedule it, especially given the current pressure on the schedule.

Anyway, it's moot now thanks to Huddersfield :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I answered this on the FA Cup thread, but it's probably more relevant here:

Well, if Man City had won today and Man Utd followed suit tomorrow, I don't think 10 days would have been too short notice to schedule it, especially given the current pressure on the schedule.

Anyway, it's moot now thanks to Huddersfield :)

I did too :D

It would actually be eight days, and that is too short notice to schedule a PL match that has other possible dates in the calendar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sat-ire wrote: »
    I did too :D

It would actually be eight days, and that is too short notice to schedule a PL match that has other possible dates in the calendar.

Tomorrow is February 19th; the date we're discussing is March 1st, which is 10 days from tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Says who?

Me... I don't think its commonplace for such a huge league match to be arranged with 8 days notice. I could be wrong of course...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tomorrow is February 19th; the date we're discussing is March 1st, which is 10 days from tomorrow.

it would be Monday before they could even think about announcing it - unless discussions were held in advance.

The local authority, both clubs and TV broadcasters would all need to be brought into negotiation.

But, as I said, because of possible other dates it wouldn't have happened like that anyway.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, the Leicester v Liverpool MNF goes ahead.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That'll disappoint a few on here. Though it's probably saved about 5 pages of discussion.
  • Options
    skells22skells22 Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    two games that now require a change of date are Middlesbrough v Sunderland and someone does lose out on a MNF as Chelsea v Watford will be moved too
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are there two free midweeks in April and one in may

Only two are there are midweek set of games first week of April .

So if arsenal win Monday nothing to stop that game at Southampton going on Wednesday 1st march
  • Options
    Spiros_RedSpiros_Red Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Are there two free midweeks in April and one in may

Only two are there are midweek set of games first week of April .

So if arsenal win Monday nothing to stop that game at Southampton going on Wednesday 1st march

BIB - A tweet earlier from journalists indicated only 2 free midweeks between now & end of season. Pretty sure that was on the assumption of both Manchester clubs remaining in their respective European competitions though.

As I've said in previous posts, the derby won't be played before middle/end April at earliest.
  • Options
    TLG86TLG86 Posts: 11,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »

I wouldn't be on that.
    Spiros_Red wrote: »
    BIB - A tweet earlier from journalists indicated only 2 free midweeks between now & end of season. Pretty sure that was on the assumption of both Manchester clubs remaining in their respective European competitions though.

As I've said in previous posts, the derby won't be played before middle/end April at earliest.

It only needs one of the clubs to make the last four of the Champions League or Europa League and one to make the FA Cup Semi Final for there to be a problem.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First up we now know that the FA Cup Quarter Final draw will be ok with the fixtures. Leicester City who play on the following Tuesday in the champions league are out, so there is no conflict as there would have been had Leicester City remained in the competition, and been drawn against Tottenham or Manchester United.

Also whilst we are on the subject of Leicester City their game against Liverpool is confirmed as going ahead on Monday 27th February. Fans can now start getting their train tickets.

But we avoid some problems and get some others!! As the Huddersfield Town v Manchester City match has gone to a replay, the match Wolves v Huddersfield Town that was due to take place on Tuesday 28th February has been postponed, and will now have to be rearranged. But thats ok as it is in the championship, and the championship does not matter.

The biggest problem is that the Manchester derby now has to be rearranged. It can't be for Wednesday 1st March, because the Manchester City v Huddersfield Town replay is going to be that midweek, so it would have to be another date. No solution has been found yet.

There is no time to relax as although I thought the problems with all the draws had been resolved, but I have been made aware of another possible problem for the semi-final draw. If both Tottenham and Manchester United are drawn in different FA Cup Semi-Finals, and both get to the Europa League Quarter-Finals, then they will both have to play at Wembley Stadium on Sunday 23rd April. What on earth will happen in that case!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no time to relax as although I thought the problems with all the draws had been resolved, but I have been made aware of another possible problem for the semi-final draw. If both Tottenham and Manchester United are drawn in different FA Cup Semi-Finals, and both get to the Europa League Quarter-Finals, then they will both have to play at Wembley Stadium on Sunday 23rd April. What on earth will happen in that case!
    Monday night would be available as well. Something the fans would hate (especially if it involves non London teams...when's the last train back?), but the BBC would love. They seem to like Friday/Monday night games.

But thus far Spurs seem to be conspiring to ensure it's not an issue ;)
  • Options
    rob_knightrob_knight Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First up we now know that the FA Cup Quarter Final draw will be ok with the fixtures. Leicester City who play on the following Tuesday in the champions league are out, so there is no conflict as there would have been had Leicester City remained in the competition, and been drawn against Tottenham or Manchester United.

Also whilst we are on the subject of Leicester City their game against Liverpool is confirmed as going ahead on Monday 27th February. Fans can now start getting their train tickets.

But we avoid some problems and get some others!! As the Huddersfield Town v Manchester City match has gone to a replay, the match Wolves v Huddersfield Town that was due to take place on Tuesday 28th February has been postponed, and will now have to be rearranged. But thats ok as it is in the championship, and the championship does not matter.

The biggest problem is that the Manchester derby now has to be rearranged. It can't be for Wednesday 1st March, because the Manchester City v Huddersfield Town replay is going to be that midweek, so it would have to be another date. No solution has been found yet.

Plus 23rd is London Marathon day!
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I would do is play the Manchester derby on Wednesday 26th April.

Yes that does not solve all the rearrangement problems if both clubs got to all the Finals they could, but it was never going to.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What I would do is play the Manchester derby on Wednesday 26th April.

Yes that does not solve all the rearrangement problems if both clubs got to all the Finals they could, but it was never going to.

Sounds good although both clubs may have a quarters and semi final weekend league game to rearrange still
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As the Huddersfield Town v Manchester City match has gone to a replay, the match Wolves v Huddersfield Town that was due to take place on Tuesday 28th February has been postponed, and will now have to be rearranged. But thats ok as it is in the championship, and the championship does not matter.

Huddersfield have 15 games to play in the Championship. There are 10 weekends (11 if you count Easter as two) and seven midweeks available so they really shouldn't have a problem even if they make the Cup Semi Final. It's not such an issue for the Championship as they definitely can play on European midweeks.

Clearly, the biggest problem is Man Utd. Here's what I would offer them if they make the FA Cup Quarter Final:

Saturday 1 April: Man Utd v West Brom
    Tuesday 4 April: Man Utd v Everton
    Friday 7 April: Southampton v Man Utd
    Monday 10 April: Sunderland v Man Utd
    Thursday 13 April: Europa League Quarter Final First Leg
    Sunday 16 April: Man Utd v Chelsea
    Thursday 20 April: Europa League Quarter Final Second Leg
    Sunday 23 April: FA Cup Semi Final
    Wednesday 26 April: Burnley v Man Utd
    Saturday 29 April: Man Utd v Swansea
    Thursday 4 May: Europa League Semi Final First Leg
    Sunday 7 May: Arsenal v Man Utd
    Thursday 10 May: Europa League Semi Final Second Leg
    Sunday 14 May: Tottenham v Man Utd
    Thursday 18 May: Man City v Man Utd
    Sunday 21 May: Man Utd v Crystal Palace

The way I see it, the only opportunity to do a Friday/Monday double weekend for Man Utd is Week 32. The difficulty is that playing Southampton v Man Utd on the Friday of Week 32 would require West Brom v Southampton to also move. If Man City and Chelsea both make the FA Cup Semi Finals then West Brom v Southampton could be played that weekend instead.

If Man City also progress to the both the Champions League and FA Cup semi finals then they would play Stoke (h) on 25/26/27 April and West Brom (h) on Monday 15 May. Ideally the second leg of their Champions League Semi Final would be on the Tuesday allowing their Week 37 game with Leicester (h) would be played on the Friday, but there is a chance that City would have to play two games in three days.

Obviously this is a worst case scenario, but the powers that be need to be thinking about this now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TLG86 wrote: »
    Clearly, the biggest problem is Man Utd. Here's what I would offer them if they make the FA Cup Quarter Final:

Saturday 1 April: Man Utd v West Brom
    Tuesday 4 April: Man Utd v Everton
    Friday 7 April: Southampton v Man Utd
    Monday 10 April: Sunderland v Man Utd
    Thursday 13 April: Europa League Quarter Final First Leg
    Sunday 16 April: Man Utd v Chelsea
    Thursday 20 April: Europa League Quarter Final Second Leg
    Sunday 23 April: FA Cup Semi Final
    Wednesday 26 April: Burnley v Man Utd
    Saturday 29 April: Man Utd v Swansea
    Thursday 4 May: Europa League Semi Final First Leg
    Sunday 7 May: Arsenal v Man Utd
    Thursday 10 May: Europa League Semi Final Second Leg
    Sunday 14 May: Tottenham v Man Utd
    Thursday 18 May: Man City v Man Utd
    Sunday 21 May: Man Utd v Crystal Palace

The way I see it, the only opportunity to do a Friday/Monday double weekend for Man Utd is Week 32. The difficulty is that playing Southampton v Man Utd on the Friday of Week 32 would require West Brom v Southampton to also move. If Man City and Chelsea both make the FA Cup Semi Finals then West Brom v Southampton could be played that weekend instead.

If Man City also progress to the both the Champions League and FA Cup semi finals then they would play Stoke (h) on 25/26/27 April and West Brom (h) on Monday 15 May. Ideally the second leg of their Champions League Semi Final would be on the Tuesday allowing their Week 37 game with Leicester (h) would be played on the Friday, but there is a chance that City would have to play two games in three days.

Obviously this is a worst case scenario, but the powers that be need to be thinking about this now.

It really is stark when you see it written down , there could also be 2 finals for UTD post season (although with this heavy load its unlikely)
    Mourhino is right to raise this issue and the PL should really look at avoiding this in future somehow.
  • Options
    Ron NastyRon Nasty Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Looks the same as what Chelsea had in Rafa's season there

we'll go through all the different options and then they'll go and lose to Blackburn :)

they might have to offer them the above, only other option looks to be playing on Monday 1st May

if they don't go with a 7-10 Apr double header expect to leave it until after the fa cup 1/4 final
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, the wait and see option is Monday 1 May meaning two games in three days for United. The next question, however, is what order would the games get played? Would you play the Southampton game on 26 April with the Burnley game played on 1 May if needed? And would you let Burnley play Palace on Friday 25 April to allow them an extra day's rest (why should they suffer?).

Or do you play Southampton v Arsenal on 25/26 April and play Southampton v Man Utd on 1 May and therefore it's the same for both teams? Hopefully things become a bit clearer when the April picks are made.
  • Options
    Ron NastyRon Nasty Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    i'd lean to playing the games rearranged from the cup semi weekend straight away

thought he Burnley on the Monday would be fairer to Man Utd only being an hour away by coach
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And people still don't get why managers complain about the Europa League.