Options

National Lottery Lucky Dips...

padpad Posts: 6,699
Forum Member
I have ranted about this before, but I'm going to again because I'm starting to despair of lucky dips .. I always have 2 lines and 8 out of 10 times I get at least one number repeated on both lines...

but today I was not firing on all cylinders and I ended up buying two two line lucky dips from two different shops..

On the four lines on the the two tickets

No 3 appears 3 times
No 12 appears 2 times
No 15 appears 2 times
No 22 appears 2 times
No 25 appears 2 times
No 33 appears 2 times
No 45 appears 3 times

That means of 24 numbers, 16 are duplicated... On lucky dip! :confused: . This always happens... it doesn't feel at all random.. have you noticed this? :(

What do you reckon my chances are of getting Camelot to check the randomness of their random number generator??

p.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have noticed this before anytime that I have bought a ticket with more than one lucky dip on there. I remember on each of the lucky dips, the numbers were all the same bar two
  • Options
    RuokasiRuokasi Posts: 3,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not doing much wrong, if atleast a few of their tickets can make winners. It doesn't matter what the numbers are, at the end of the day, you will lose none the less.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 85,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pad wrote:
    No 3 appears 3 times
    No 12 appears 2 times
    No 15 appears 2 times
    No 22 appears 2 times
    No 25 appears 2 times
    No 33 appears 2 times
    No 45 appears 3 times
    Oh fantastic! I'm going to have to use those numbers on Wednesday now :rolleyes: :p

I'm sure someone once told me that the generator is only semi-random, based on numbers that have already been picked for that draw. I can't remember which way it works, though (i.e. more picks = better chance or more picks = less chance).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    i bought a lucky dip tonight and got the first 4 numbers (god my heart was beating) then no more!! but i won £41 pound so i'm happy
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yaaaay well done you!!

I just remembered to go and buy some more lottery tickets but the flipping website is being upgraded, grr. :o
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    pad wrote:
    That means of 24 numbers, 16 are duplicated... On lucky dip! :confused: . This always happens... it doesn't feel at all random.. have you noticed this? :(
    In what way is it not random? Can you predict what the set of numbers will be the next time you buy a lucky dip?

Randomness doesn't mean because a number has been used recently it shouldn't be used again. If I have the numbers 1 to 49 in a bag and I pick out six at random, I'm as likely to get 1,2,3,4,5,6 as any other sequence. As a sequence, it is just as 'random' as 9,23,1,34,35,12. If I repeat the experiment, there is exactly the same chance that I'll get 1,2,3,4,5,6 again as any other sequence.

If I do pick 1,2,3,4,5,6, then decide to pick another number, the likelyhood of me picking 7 is exactly the same as picking any other number.

Dont' mistake 'randomness' for even distribution. The sort of duplication that you got on your tickets is perfectly normal in a random sequence of numbers. In fact, if such clustering never occured then that would be a strong indicator that the sequence was not truely random.
  • Options
    99 Red Balloons99 Red Balloons Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    I bought a euro lottery the other week asked for a lucky dip and got the following numbers
    1,2,3,4,5, 6, 3
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pad wrote:
    I have ranted about this before, but I'm going to again because I'm starting to despair of lucky dips .. I always have 2 lines and 8 out of 10 times I get at least one number repeated on both lines...

but today I was not firing on all cylinders and I ended up buying two two line lucky dips from two different shops..

No 3 appears 3 times
    No 12 appears 2 times
    No 15 appears 2 times
    No 22 appears 2 times
    No 25 appears 2 times
    No 33 appears 2 times
    No 45 appears 3 times

What do you reckon my chances are of getting Camelot to check the randomness of their random number generator??

p.

I'm glad you bought this up because if you've bought two tickets from different shops (at different times) and they're producing similar numbers and this "always happens" then number selection is not as random as some people believe.

And is it the lottery terminal that generates the lucky dip numbers or is it Camelot's super computer at their HQ ? ;)
  • Options
    marlingmarling Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the answer is to not buy Lucky Dips :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    You know you can take the ticket back if the numbers you have aren't very good. Most places will exchange it (before the draw of course) and then pass it on to someone else who asks for a lucky dip. But then people are soooooooooooooo superstitious about the lottery.....
  • Options
    AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all to do with probablilites. If you sat and counted cars passing by you'd get two blue one's, then three red, then a white, then two black etc etc - the next car wouldn't be a different colour to the last one just because that one was blue or black or green etc i.e. the numbers on different lines don't appear in relation to each other.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you got two lucky dips separately, the chances that none of the numbers are the same on each would be (43/49)*(42/48)*...*(38/44) = 0.436.

(this is because to avoid duplications, you have to select one of the 43 that haven't been chosen in your first ticket out of the 49 numbers you can pick in the second lucky dip, then you have to select one of the 42 numbers not yet chosen out of the 48 remaining... and so on for six numbers).

In other words, the chances that you will get at least one duplication between two lucky dips is 1 - 0.436 = 0.564.

So you're more likely to get one or more duplications than you are to get no duplications, just from buying two lucky dips.

If you bought four tickets, the chances of getting all 24 numbers different is...

(43/49)*(42/48)*...*(38/44) * (37/49)*(36/48)*...*(32/44) * (31/49)*(30/48)*...*(26/44)

= (43!/25!) / (49^3 x 48^3 x... x 44^3)

= 0.003816

So is just about 0.4% chance.

Hence you're 99.6% likely to get at least one duplication between the four lines of numbers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went for a lucky dip and got the numbers :

1 12 13 14 17 19

What a waste of a quid! :(
  • Options
    Steve PearceSteve Pearce Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waffles wrote:

1 12 13 14 17 19

Why? Those 6 numbers are just as likely to come up as any other 6 numbers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Waffles wrote:

1 12 13 14 17 19

No more or less of a waste than if you'd picked the numbers yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waffles wrote:

1 12 13 14 17 19

Bwahaha!! :D

Check previous lotto draws and you'll see that the chances of three consecutive numbers being drawn is extremely remote, let alone five or more numbers < 20.

Stick to manually selecting numbers :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tnt wrote:
    Check previous lotto draws and you'll see that the chances of three consecutive numbers being drawn is extremely remote
    It's the same chance as any other specific set of three numbers being drawn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianx wrote:
    It's the same chance as any other specific set of three numbers being drawn.

Are you assuming each lottery machine and ball set is 100% perfect?
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont do lucky dips I pick my own numbers but random ones so theoetically its my own lucky dip and I have won more times by doing this method.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, of course those numbers have exactly the same chance as any other numbers. But its still a certainty that they wont come up that week. 100% certainty.

As prooved by the fact I am not on a yaught in the Bahamas right now but about 15 miles outside of Luton :(
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waffles wrote:

1 12 13 14 17 19
    That's nice, so what?
    Well that's the stupidity tax for you... taking £1 off the stupid twice a week.
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waffles wrote:
    But its still a certainty that they wont come up that week. 100% certainty.
    Are you talking about past tense here? (in which case you mean wouldn't) Either way you are wrong. Prior to the event there was a 1 in 14m chance of those numbers occuring (same as any other six) - but if the event is now in the past there is no probablitly involved as it is now fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glen wrote:
    That's nice, so what?

Well that's the stupidity tax for you... taking £1 off the stupid twice a week.

Ahh but an'ordinary' member of the public always wins. :rolleyes:

And think about all that money going to worthwhile charities :rolleyes:
  • Options
    R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pad wrote:

No 3 appears 3 times
    No 12 appears 2 times
    No 15 appears 2 times
    No 22 appears 2 times
    No 25 appears 2 times
    No 33 appears 2 times
    No 45 appears 3 times

I don't know why you're moaning. It's all about permutations. I know a guy at work who gets 10 lines twice a week. He only changes one number from each line so if three of his numbers come out, he gets £10 and those three numbers can be on 5 or 6 of those lines so he can get £60 for three numbers. He does win quite often with this method.
  • Options
    WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Actually with all the people on DS, surely it'd be possible to make a syndicate where everyone donates a quid, and we get back more than we put in?