Options

Bargain Hunt - your favourite expert

Comments

• Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    I ADORED Louise Weir.

She was only on the programmes in the very early days, anyone know what happened to her?
  • Options
    TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Stacey. He can be soooo funny:D
  • Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tasi wrote: »
    Mark Stacey. He can be soooo funny:D

Its even more fun when "his dad" David Barby is on as well (even tho he isnt his dad):D:D
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The repeat today took them to that Auction house in Exeter where it is IMPOSSIBLE to make a profit. They almost give the stuff away:o
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    The repeat today took them to that Auction house in Exeter where it is IMPOSSIBLE to make a profit. They almost give the stuff away:o

Indeed, that was embarrassing. These West Country folk are a stingy bunch of penny pinchers.

A complete change to a BH episode in Glasgow a few weeks back where EVERY item made a profit and both teams had profits of over £200.

Scots mean ?, I don't think so.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    If I remember correctly he was an ugly little man who never picked an item that made money for the contestants.
    Mr Hogben is from my home town (both born and trading here) and has always had a reputation of being "well dodgy" ;)

When he started appearing on television he gained a veneer of respectability but locals still wouldn't trust him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Mr Hogben is from my home town (both born and trading here) and has always had a reputation of being "well dodgy" ;)

When he started appearing on television he gained a veneer of respectability but locals still wouldn't trust him.

He looks 'well dodgy' and comes across as a stingy so and so. Typical door knocker type.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well there was only a handfull of people there. I go to Hansons near Derby, and when Bargain Hunt is filming there, you can't get in or park because it is packed, I often see me on T.V.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

But the auction house (Bearnes) in Exeter is mostly a fine arts auction house. At least that's what it's known for down here. The teams chose absolute crap and they paid the penalty.
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The auction house in chiswick is just down the road to my thai restaurant and I often see my customers on screen bidding for obscure items. I've never been there but if I knew Anita would be there I'd be down in a shot. I love her quirkiness and also think she is a very good auctioneer.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was on Bargain Hunt about 4 years ago. We filmed it at Wetherby Racecourse with the auction being in Malton. Our expert is no longer with the series - Nigel Smith. The other expert for our opponents was Anita Manning. Both were wonderful and so knowledgable. Tim is a real gent too. Always doffing his hat to the ladies. Met a few more of the experts at the auction as they film a few at a time. My favourite was Colin Young. Really nice guy and we had a lengthy chat about football.

ps - we lost.....................easily
  • Options
    COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kate bliss
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »

If I was on Dickinson's real deal I would NEVER accept his offer. He hasn't a clue:mad:
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    If I was on Dickinson's real deal I would NEVER accept his offer. He hasn't a clue:mad:

He's got a clue alright - of how to try to get something for nothing!

Nasty little man.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I disagree, he does have a clue, he is the only genuine dealer amongst them, the others make offers well over the odds because they are on t.v and then make a loss or very small profit, they have to make a living, pay their shop rents and overheads etc. David Dickinson eggs them on to overpay, forgetting that he was once a dealer, he doesn't try it on with Hogben because he once told him, " we may be at the seaside but I'm not on my holidays, this is my money and I've got to make a profit."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He's got a clue alright - of how to try to get something for nothing!

Nasty little man.
    valkay wrote: »
    I disagree, he does have a clue, he is the only genuine dealer amongst them, the others make offers well over the odds because they are on t.v and then make a loss or very small profit, they have to make a living, pay their shop rents and overheads etc. David Dickinson eggs them on to overpay, forgetting that he was once a dealer, he doesn't try it on with Hogben because he once told him, " we may be at the seaside but I'm not on my holidays, this is my money and I've got to make a profit."

But if what we are told at the end of each programme is true, he never makes a profit on what he buys anyway.:)
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    Also, he's shown in the docusoap/reality programme he did, that imo, he wasn't that pleasant a person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thomas Plant...Seems a nice enough chap but if he was my 'expert' my heart would sink:o
  • Options
    jules4stujules4stu Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    james lewis. and watching him lick icecream on todays show.... yum! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Anita Manning, Charles Hanson and Kate Bliss are my favourites. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Lewis is good, he is a good auctioneer too. Catherine Southern is hopeless - she hardly ever makes a profit on anything she suggests.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I always feel the contestants have a good chance of making a profit with James Lewis as their expert. He seems a nice guy too.

At the opposite end of the scale Charles Hanson is the most likely to make them a large loss if they listen to him. For an auctioneer he seems to have little idea of what would make a profit in the type of auctions BH uses.

I like Anita Manning and love her accent but have never taken to David Barby for some reason.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never been keen on David Barby ( currently in Australia filming an Oz Bargain Hunt) but I went to a Flog It Valuation day a couple of weeks ago and met him, he is a lovely man very smiley with a good sense of humour, he also had 2 black eyes because he had fallen down the steps at his local pub - Paul Martin said Tim Wonnacott had beaten him up :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,108
    Forum Member
    My top ten (in no particular order)

Philip Serrell - top bloke
    Kate Bliss - lovely
    Charles Hanson - hugely entertaining
    James Lewis - also lovely
    Anita Manning - great fun
    Catherine Southon - gorgeous
    Paul Laidlaw - isn't on enough
    David Barby - love how into it he gets at the auctions
    Mark Stacey - he isn't David's son :)
    David Harper - I like him, even if no-one else does

Also, Tim is a quantum leap above David as main presenter.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say Anita Manning has the best sense of humor. Having said that they all are quite fun to a certain degree because it is a light hearted show.