Comments

• Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Britain's Got More Talent, EastEnders Has Got More Viewers...."

Three times as many...

:D

You surpass yourself :rolleyes: but since its Christmas week I suppose we should be charitable to those less fortunate :p
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    Moving just read the headline on Digital Spy news page, Corrie rating seems low, wasnt it doing 10 million this time last year?
    Corrie had 10.4m (10.7m inc +1) yesterday which was up from last year's equivalent full-slot average.

If you mean the 7m it got for the Sunday episode, the one-off Sunday episodes usually have rated much worse than the normal episodes. The previous two, for example, had 5.6m and 6.3m. I think 7m, however, makes it either the most watched or second most watched Sunday episode since they moved the weekly Sunday permanent episodes elsewhere (2008). Don't know why they keep persisting with these random Sunday episodes, they don't rate well. Would've made more sense to schedule the displaced Emmerdale episode there on Sunday - at least it would've been at its usual 7pm time anyway.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and BGMT isnt even a repeat ;)

Moving just read the headline on Digital Spy news page, Corrie rating seems low, wasnt it doing 10 million this time last year?
    rzt wrote: »
    21:00- Coronation Street: 10.42m (39.4%) , +1: 324k (1.6%)

Last year on the Monday, tape-checked and including HD it had 10.50m (41.4%), so slightly down year-on-year when looking at the tape-checked figures. Or slightly up including +1.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the Sunday episode, next time ill read the article ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That time again:

Most Watched Shows of 2011 [Top 20 - Officials]
    01 - 13.59m - THE ROYAL WEDDING (29/04/11) - BBC1/HD
    02 - 12.56m - CORONATION STREET (14/02/11) - ITV1/HD
    03 - 11.42m - EASTENDERS (03/01/11) - BBC1/HD
    04 - 11.21m - BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT (07/05/11) - ITV1/HD
    05 - 10.76m - BBC NEWS (29/04/11) - BBC1/HD

06 - 10.26m - COMIC RELIEF (18/03/11) - BBC1/HD
    07 - 10.23m - DANCING ON ICE (09/01/11) - ITV1/HD
    08 - 9.68m - THE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST (14/05/11) - BBC1/HD
    09 - 9.52m - EMMERDALE (13/01/11) - ITV1/HD
    10 - 8.86m - DOCTOR WHO (23/04/11) - BBC1/HD

11 - 8.80m - BIG FAT GYPSY WEDDINGS (08/02/11) - C4
    12 - 8.80m - COME FLY WITH ME (01/01/11) - BBC1/HD
    13 - 8.79m - THE APPRENTICE (10/05/11) - BBC1/HD
    14 - 8.69m - WILD AT HEART (09/01/11) - ITV1/HD
    15 - 8.50m - SILENT WITNESS (17/01/11) - BBC1/HD

16 - 8.22m - BENIDORM (25/02/11) - ITV1/HD
    17 - 8.10m - MIDSOMER MURDERS (02/02/11) - ITV1/HD
    18 - 7.98m - UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE LIVE (06/04/11) - ITV1/HD
    19 - 7.98m - LET'S DANCE FOR COMIC RELIEF (19/02/11) - BBC1/HD
    20 - 7.91m - FILM: INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL (01/01/11) - BBC1/HD

Notes:
    - No duplicates: i.e. no BGT/DOI in there twice.
    - HD audience included for all programmes airing on HD
    - BBC1 HD is bundled in automatically with BBC1
    - ITV1 +1 excluded
    - Thanks to MattJ and rzt for some of the missing ratings off BARB
    - The Royal Wedding and BBC News ratings excludes BBC News as BARB do not have that on their website for that week. Also, The Royal Wedding BBC only.

Most Watched Multichannel Shows of 2011 [Top 20 - Officials]
    01 - 2.69m - LIVE FORD SUPER SUNDAY - MATCH (06/02/11) - Sky Sports 1
    02 - 2.63m - GLEE (17/01/11) - E4
    [highlight]03 - 2.25m - CELEBRITY JUICE (19/05/11) - ITV2[/highlight]
    04 - 2.00m - HATTIE (19/01/11) - BBC4
    05 - 1.97m - LIVE FORD FOOTBALL SPECIAL (01/03/11) - Sky Sports 2

06 - 1.94m - UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE LIVE (12/04/11) - Sky Sports 2
    07 - 1.77m - MAD DOGS (03/03/11) - Sky1
    [highlight]08 - 1.71m - FAMILY GUY (22/05/11) - BBC3[/highlight]
    09 - 1.69m - JUNIOR DOCTORS (15/03/11) - BBC3
    10 - 1.67m - EASTENDERS (19/04/11) - BBC3

11 - 1.57m - THE ONLY WAY IS ESSEX (04/05/11) - ITV2
    12 - 1.57m - BEING HUMAN (23/01/11) - BBC3
    13 - 1.56m - FILM: INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL (25/04/11) - BBC3
    14 - 1.49m - FILM: INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE (30/04/11) - BBC3
    15 - 1.47m - LIVE FORD MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL (11/04/11) - Sky Sports 1

16 - 1.45m - GAME OF THRONES (18/04/11) - Sky Atlantic
    17 - 1.43m - LIVE INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL (26/03/11) - Sky Sports 1
    18 - 1.43m - FAMILY GUY (15/05/11) - BBC3
    19 - 1.41m - MIDSOMER MURDERS (08/01/11) - ITV3
    20 - 1.37m - GOT TO DANCE (27/02/11) - Sky1

Source: BARB. Excludes +1, Includes HD for Terrestrial Chart. Only 1 programme per 'show', i.e. only one Ford Super Sunday game.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    That's BBC1's problem. Lots of moderated light entertainment successes but only one megahit with Strictly, compared to ITV with The X Factor, Britain's Got Talent, I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here and Dancing On Ice.

Maybe, but on the other hand outside of that ITV has next to nothing, so if one of those shows isn't on - and one of them is only on for three weeks - then your normal Saturday night line-up is really weak. As well as that, they're also all fairly old shows, the newest is BGT from 2007, there's nothing new coming through.

Whereas on BBC1 you have consistently rating shows like Total Wipeout, the lottery quizzes and Live At The Apollo and equivalents, as well as things like The Magicians. They're not smash hits, no, but they can sustain a Saturday night line-up and most of them are also repeatable, which is certainly not the case with ITV's big hits. After this Saturday, ITV have got nothing until August.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Last year on the Monday, tape-checked and including HD it had 10.50m (41.4%), so slightly down year-on-year when looking at the tape-checked figures. Or slightly up including +1.

Last night's rating will increase when tapechecked as it ended at 21:25. Same goes for BGT performances which ended at 20:56. Those DS ratings aren't tapechecked as Attentional don't tapecheck on Bank Holidays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Last night's rating will increase when tapechecked as it ended at 21:25. Same goes for BGT performances which ended at 20:56. Those DS ratings aren't tapechecked as Attentional don't tapecheck on Bank Holidays.

Ah, yes.... in which case the rating for the same day last year won't be tape-checked either.

Disregard everything I said above then. :o
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    You surpass yourself :rolleyes: but since its Christmas week I suppose we should be charitable to those less fortunate :p

Christmas Day was on April 29th though, wasn't it? ;)

Only a little joke, an obvious play on BGMT's name.

This isn't the Oxford Union (I think some on here tend to forget that...).

But it does seem like 14 hours over 7 consecutive nights is "quite enough Talent" for most people. :)
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas Day was on April 29th though, wasn't it? ;)

I'd expect you are getting nervous now about the top of the league table position. Could we have a new number one on Sunday morning?
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britain's Got Talent's 15-minute breakdown last night:

19:30 10.1m (41.6%)
    19:45 10.1m (41.1%)
    20:00 10.7m (40.0%)
    20:15 11.4m (41.8%)
    20:30 11.5m (43.3%)
    20:45 11.7m (43.6%)

Do you have 15 minute breakdowns for the 9pm hour?

From this, we can see that the average of the results show was 1.7m below the average of the final 15 minutes. The trend among these shows, as above, is steady growth in the audience throughout.

Last night, across 2 hours (not inc. +1) BGT averaged 10.7m. But lets say that as part of a 2 hour block, the ratings simply grew by 0.1m each 15 minutes (so 11.8m & 11.9m for the final half hour). The two hours would then average 11.2m. And that final half hour for the results would do 18% better than it did. It would also do a good bit better than Corrie did in that slot.

And I doubt that Corrie at 9.30pm would be much different to Corrie at 9pm. In which case Corrie would do better (or at least as well) in the 9.30pm slot than BGT Results did.

It just seems very odd that ITV persist with this scheduling when it seems so obvious that they could do better (though that often applies to schedulers at all channels!).

As for BGMT, ideally it would air as a 30 minute show at 9pm (I think BBLB used to do that for evictions?). Again, it might take viewers from Corrie but so long as they're going to ITV2 it doesn't matter and it provides a stop gap for those who don't want to watch Corrie but might stick around for the results rather than switching to something else at 9pm or moving away from the TV. It seems overly ambitious to think that you're going to hold any viewer from 7.30pm to 11pm over 7 consecutive nights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    Do you have 15 minute breakdowns for the 9pm hour?
    Nope, unfortunately don't have the 9pm 15-minute breakdown. I completely agree with what you've said, it makes much more sense having it as one combined show which would actually boost the results bit. Also as you said, I doubt Corrie would do that much worse at 9.30pm compared to 9pm (maybe 0.5m lower?), especially with BGT providing a bigger lead-in than what it does at the moment. ITV averaged 10.23m in the 9pm slot last night. Basically had they done it the way you've suggested, they'd have most likely averaged roughly 10.8m (~11.8m 9-9.30pm, ~9.8m 9.30-10pm). I can't really see what the advantage is of splitting BGT up - do they get an extra ad break out of doing it that way :confused:?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, unfortunately don't have the 9pm 15-minute breakdown. I completely agree with what you've said, it makes much more sense having it as one combined show which would actually boost the results bit. Also as you said, I doubt Corrie would do that much worse at 9.30pm compared to 9pm (maybe 0.5m lower?), especially with BGT providing a bigger lead-in than what it does at the moment. ITV averaged 10.23m in the 9pm slot last night. Basically had they done it the way you've suggested, they'd have most likely averaged roughly 10.8m (~11.8m 9-9.30pm, ~9.8m 9.30-10pm). I can't really see what the advantage is of splitting BGT up - do they get an extra ad break out of doing it that way :confused:?

Maybe they think viewers would desert Corrie if it was on afterwards?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As we know Channel 5 pulled "Impossible?", however: http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/c5-magic-show-disappears-from-schedule/5028249.article
    However, a C5 spokesman said the broadcaster was pleased with how it performed with younger viewers and confirmed it would return later in the year when it could relaunch the series alongside other entertainment shows such as Big Brother.

“Impossible? has performed really well amongst our core 16-34 audience,” the spokesman said.

“We have taken the decision to play out the rest of the series later this year, so that we can schedule it with other key upcoming shows including Big Brother.

“We’re confident that this blend of entertainment and reality will resonate with viewers and work well for the channel.”
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They do get an extra ad break out of the current scheduling. Currently they get:

5 breaks during BGT Performances
    1 break inbetween BGT and Corrie
    1 break during Corrie
    1 break inbetween Corrie and BGT Results
    1 break during BGT Results
    1 break inbetween BGT and ITV News
    =10 breaks in total.

Whereas if BGT ran as one show from 7:30pm with Corrie afterwards they'd get:

6 breaks during BGT
    1 break during Corrie
    1 break inbetween Corrie and ITV News
    =9 breaks in total.

So I guess the profit from the extra break is more beneficial than an extra ~1.5m for BGT Results. I completely agree that they'd be better off running BGT as one show ratings-wise as BGT would have averaged ~11.5m for a 2 hour show, and with that sort of lead-in (12-13m) and a 9:30pm start away from junctions on other channels, Corrie would get a pretty similar audience to last night. So ratings-wise that would certainly be better, and would definitely help them on Wednesday as The Apprentice wouldn't be starting at the same time as Corrie and BGT would already be running. But I guess the extra break, once the effects of a lower BGT Results show is taken into account gets them an extra £500k or so overall in ad-revenue for the night, so it's worth doing for them. Plus I doubt they're too bothered about whether the BGT Results get 10 or 11 million as there's only one internal ad break in it, so as long as the performances and Corrie do well they'll be happy (not saying that BGT Results didn't do well but they could potentially do better).
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    another new shows for Channel 5 & UKTV
    As part of Tesco’s commitment to helping customers eat healthily, the supermarket is preparing to launch an ad-funded TV show under its Real Food magazine.

The TV show is part of a broader Tesco Real Food Challenge campaign, which aims to find Britain’s best cook through a recipe competition.

The initiative includes print and online advertising, a content and social media partnership with AOL and social media campaign, as well as promotion in Tesco owned media, to drive traffic to microsite.

It is about the theme of “mood food” and seeks to find recipes based around occasions and moods that fit in with consumers’ changing lives and “modern British eating”.

The campaign is said to be the biggest social media activity ever and involves eight celebrity ambassadors including former England rugby player Matt Dawson and Lorraine Kelly on Twitter.

“Mealtimes may be less formal or regular nowadays, but our research shows us that food is more than ever connected to the way we relate, celebrate and relax. The old rules have gone: what we eat and when we eat are decided by how we feel and who is sharing the meal,” says Breige Donaghy, Tesco’s head of Real Food.

The campaign was created by The Red Brick Road, Cedar and Initiative and the programme, Tesco Real Food Cook-off, is due to air in September on Channel 5 and UKTV Food.

http://www.internationalsupermarketnews.com/news/3107

Tescos take over of TV has begun

and on Dave

http://www.krempelwood.com/2011/04/comedy-undercover/
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    I'd expect you are getting nervous now about the top of the league table position. Could we have a new number one on Sunday morning?

Unless either BGT or "TXF - Barlow & NDubz Special Edition 2011" hit the dizzy heights of 26m, plus another 10-15m in pubs, workplaces, public spaces and online, then I think "the most watched TV event of 2011" is pretty secure, and BBC1's ratings for it unchallenged - unless ITV can deliver an 18.7m+ audience for either of its "jewels" over a 90 minute period.

;)

Anyone who thinks we will see BGT or TXF hitting 13.6m+ and then being rightfully crowned "most watched TV of 2011" is either living in la-la land, or called Simon Cowell.

Or possibly both... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    They do get an extra ad break out of the current scheduling. Currently they get:

5 breaks during BGT Performances
    1 break during Corrie
    1 break inbetween Corrie and BGT Results
    1 break during BGT Results
    1 break inbetween BGT and ITV News
    =10 breaks in total.

Whereas if BGT ran as one show from 7:30pm with Corrie afterwards they'd get:

6 breaks during BGT
    1 break during Corrie
    1 break inbetween Corrie and ITV News
    =9 breaks in total.
    Ah right, thanks for the explanation. That makes more sense and I guess they maximise their revenues this way.

A couple of questions: how comes one BGT 2-hour show would have 6 breaks instead of 7? Say like last night, the 5th ad break would be at about 20:45 - wouldn't there be 2 more ad breaks at about 21:00 and 21:15 or are they only allowed 1 more? I always get a bit confused about the Ofcom rules, especially as they change them every other year!

Q2: Couldn't they get around that possible rule if they billed 21:00-21:30 under a different name i.e. BGT Results? Meaning that technically it'd be 2 different shows, so wouldn't they be able to get the ad breaks in the same slots as yesterday but with just Corrie and BGT the other way round?
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    As for BGMT, ideally it would air as a 30 minute show at 9pm (I think BBLB used to do that for evictions?).

I don't think BBLB ever did that - Xtra Factor used to do it between the performance and results show though, with another one after the results - that was before the move to Sunday though.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do we think Geordie shore will get tonight? Will it go up or down? It got 345,000 on MTV last week.

I'm actually surprised about the BGT ratings, based on the competition it really should not be passing the 10m mark, IMO not even the 6m mark.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah right, thanks for the explanation. That makes more sense and I guess they maximise their revenues this way.

A couple of questions: how comes one BGT 2-hour show would have 6 breaks instead of 7? Say like last night, the 5th ad break would be at about 20:45 - wouldn't there be 2 more ad breaks at about 21:00 and 21:15 or are they only allowed 1 more? I always get a bit confused about the Ofcom rules, especially as they change them every other year!

Q2: Couldn't they get around that possible rule if they billed 21:00-21:30 under a different name i.e. BGT Results? Meaning that technically it'd be 2 different shows, so wouldn't they be able to get the ad breaks in the same slots as yesterday but with just Corrie and BGT the other way round?

Q1: They're only allowed 6 breaks in a 2-hour show, and 5 in a 90 minute show. I agree, the Ofcom rules do seem to change a lot and get confusing but under the current rules they're allowed 5 breaks in a programme with a scheduled duration of 86-105 mins and 6 breaks in a programme with a scheduled duration of 106-125 mins. The amount of ad breaks allowed per programme can be seen here (page 36):

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/rada08/statement/costa.pdf

Q2: That could work but there must be some sort of rule that doesn't let them do it in this country as none of the main channels do it. ITV haven't done it with their main reality shows, and nor have BBC1 as last year the So You Think You Can Dance Final aired as one show with the lottery draws in the middle and whilst they got 2 separate BARB entries it was scheduled as one long programme. C4 never did it with BB either so there must be something that stops them from doing it, presumably because it's the same programme and would be seen as a way of getting around Ofcom's rules.

Also, ITV are doing a one off 'An Audience With Barry Manilow' according to SRO Audiences. It's being filmed in June and I guess it'll air after an X Factor audition show before Wossy returns. I can't see much of The X Factor's young audience being interested in Manilow so it may not do too well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    What do we think Geordie shore will get tonight? Will it go up or down? It got 345,000 on MTV last week.

I'm actually surprised about the BGT ratings, based on the competition it really should not be passing the 10m mark, IMO not even the 6m mark.

Based on the competition? Apart from EastEnders, there was no competition.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,686
    Forum Member
    Gadget Show, stick a fork in it, its done.
    I wouldn't go that far mate. I'm not going to excuse last night's rating which was obviously poor, but do bear in mind the circumstances were extreme and it came during a lower rating run of the show. However the latest batch of officials put it at #17 in the channel's top 30 with 1 million viewers. Obviously a long way from where it was, but not terrible. It needs a break, and a total refresh for next series. But it's not "game over" yet, I think, in fact I'm pretty confident, that with the right editorial changes it can bounce back and be successful once more.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Based on the competition? Apart from EastEnders, there was no competition.

No. The competition in BGT. Its been very poor compared to the last couple of series,
  • Options
    SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if any fans will Boycott tonights show because of Lorna Bliss being in the Semi Finals when she got 3 no's at the Auditions.
This discussion has been closed.