Options

When will channel five fix it's broken series link feature?

megabytemegabyte Posts: 334
Forum Member
Do they even care or realise?

Any programme on five with series link,if it is repeated is a mess.
Basically all repeats are recorded aswell.

They are even recorded on the sister channel 5*

Best example of this mess is home and away and neighbours.

If I series link emmerdale on itv1,I don't have it recorded on itv2 aswell.I just get the episodes recorded in order from itv1 which is as it should be.
But ch 5 will record all episodes including repeats and the omnibus of anything it has series link on.

If you don't believe me try it.
It only affects freeview by the way,it's not the case on satelite.

This is going to annoy a lot of people when big brother starts and it's been happening for years now un fixed :confused::confused::mad::mad::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    squinneysquinney Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    hi,
    Don't know which PVR you are using, but I have a Digitalstream and have the 13.15 broadcast of Home & Away set up as series record (sad I know), and my machine only records this broadcast, never the other transmissions. This would seem to indicate that it's your PVR that is not distinguishing the different transmissions rather than Channel 5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmmm..it's the sagemcom as in http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1294112

There was a thread here a few months ago where this was reported as happening on all pvr's.

Yours is the first I've heard it's not happening on.

I'll post on the above thread and see so what sagem have to say.

If anyone else is having this problem or not,please post here with the make and model of pvr-thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Heres the old thread

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=51276783&posted=1#post51276783

Many pvr's involved as of just 3 months ago
  • Options
    futaurafutaura Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That wasn't the right link.

It may be that Emmerdale is tagged with a different series crid on ITV1 compared to ITV2. Certainly Channel 5 use the same series crid for the original showings on Channel 5 and the advance/repeat showings on 5*. However, there is nothing wrong with that. It's got to be the Sagemcom software that is at fault on this one, because once it has recorded an episode, it should never attempt to re-record that same episode at any time it is repeated. The repeats are tagged with the same episode crid as the original showing, so the software should be able to recognise it has already recorded it. Occasionally they do mis-tag an episode though, giving the original and repeat different ids, causing the repeat to be recorded too (this will affect every single Freeview+ box), but generally they are ok when it comes to Neighbours and H&A, at least.

BTW, does it only record the repeats if you have deleted the original recording in the meantime, or are the repeats recorded regardless? Whatever, a fix is Sagemcom's responsibility, not Channel 5's. It does not suprise me that they've got it wrong - my first PVR was one of the early Sagem boxes, and it was truly rubbish, and after numerous software updates they just made it worse rather than fixing it. It still makes me chuckle that even the latest models cannot record the radio channels, which was also a flaw on their very first PVRs years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it records all of them whether you've watched one or not and in the case of home and away for example if you leave it for a day,you will have 3 copies of an episode.

Can people confirm this does not happen on the humax freeview hd pvr's?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it happens on many PVRs at all actually - I don't have a Humax, so can't confirm, but I would think it is very unlikely that it has the same problem. Certainly, not all the Vestel made boxes under a variety brand names. The reason I asked the question about repeating is that the Vestel boxes do/did record repeats if you deleted the original recording before the repeat was aired, but this was fixed in software v3.4 for the latest T835 model. The workaround around before that was to not delete recordings for a week (or turn on auto-delete), and thought the same trick might have applied to the Sagemcom.

Do you have the latest software for your Sagemcom - maybe they already fix this bug?
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    futaura wrote: »
    Do you have the latest software for your Sagemcom - maybe they already fix this bug?
    yes I have the latest software.
    I actually got an ota just 3 or 4 days ago.
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It still makes me chuckle that even the latest models cannot record the radio channels, which was also a flaw on their very first PVRs years ago.
    If you want a bigger laugh ..
    Although I listen to more radio than I watch TV I bought a Sagem DTR67xxx knowing that it could not record radio and knowing that it lacked my preferred preference functionality satisfied by Vestel and Humax . It has the latest software. Earlier today I finally identified who I could give it away to who would otherwise not have a PVR at all.
    I doubt it happens on many PVRs at all actually - I don't have a Humax, so can't confirm, but I would think it is very unlikely that it has the same problem.
    I think that when I I have recorded series on five this year I’ve only used some sort of Humax 9000. I have no repeat record issue. Downside is that they don’t handle cross channel series.
    Also at the end of 2010 I think I was recording five series on a vestel and had no issues (apart from the refresh of deleted episodes that you have mentioned).
    megabyte wrote: »
    yes I have the latest software.
    I actually got an ota just 3 or 4 days ago.
    When sagemcom was created from Safran I was hopeful that this would result in a public visible review of the basics for the UK market. You have a sagem com product that did not exist under sagem, but still they appear to only concentrate on improving advanced features.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    I have this "record everything with the same name on any 5 channel" problem, on my TUTV Thomson PVR, but only when using the freeview+ EPG, if using the 14 day TUTV EPG its fine.

It must be something 5 are doing wrong, as the problem is not there with any other channel.
  • Options
    richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If one of you guys (or gals?) can give me an example of a program that is exhibiting the record every occurrence symptom and the times of the original and any repeat showings I will post the CRID's to help determine where the problem lies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had the problem with the last series of Ice Road Truckers and the last series of Eddie Stobart Trucks and Trailers recording the original and repeat showings. I'm also using a Sagem DTR 67xxx.

Roland
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I too have the Digitalstream, and no problems with repeat recordings on any channel, including Channel 5.

My old Hitachi (made by Vestel) DID have the issue. If you watched a recording and then deleted it, it would then record the repeat later in the week, even if it was on another channel. It would also record other episodes with the same name, even if they weren't part of current series.
  • Options
    squinneysquinney Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Hi megabyte,
    I should have guessed it was a Sagecom. When my trusty old Digifusion lost it's EPG, I bought a Sagecom DTR67XXX and it's recording reliability was terrible. I was never sure whether a programme I'd reserved would get recorded or not. Couldn't figure out any logic to it at all, so sent it back for a replacement thinking it was faulty, but the replacement did exactly the same so got a refund. I then spent a bit more money and got the Digitalstream which is also HD (although my area (Sheffield) doesn't have DSO for another 4 weeks). Never had any trouble with it. Rock solid recording. Does exactly what it's told. I tend to think of the Digitalstream as a middle-aged gentleman, and the Sagecom as a teenage thug- so unreliable and doesn't like being told what to do!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too have the Digitalstream, and no problems with repeat recordings on any channel, including Channel 5.

My old Hitachi (made by Vestel) DID have the issue. If you watched a recording and then deleted it, it would then record the repeat later in the week, even if it was on another channel. It would also record other episodes with the same name, even if they weren't part of current series.
    Your Hitachi didn't have the same issue as the Sagemcom - I've already touched on the difference, but the Sagemcom is recording all the repeats regardless (even when the original recording has not been watched/deleted) which is different to the Hitachi/Vestel. And certainly the Hitachi would never have recorded other episodes of the same name, unless told specically to do so by the EIT. Any device relying soley on the Freeview+ specification will not care about the name of a programme - it is the CRID that matters. And if the broadcaster put an incorrect CRID on an episode or series, it is their fault and pretty much any Freeview+ box will have reacted the same, since they can only rely on the information given to them by the EIT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If one of you guys (or gals?) can give me an example of a program that is exhibiting the record every occurrence symptom and the times of the original and any repeat showings I will post the CRID's to help determine where the problem lies.
    Any episode of home and away is a good example.
    Click record and sagemcom box pop up appears saying "do you wish to record as a series" then we click yes and voila,you have 3 or 4 copies of H and away across five and five star -all airings of each episode basically :/

I'm not looking forward to the planner mess when big brother starts*

*please note I have no compunctions admitting I will willingly want to watch these programmes :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=51298082#post51298082

I posted that on the sagemcom board here as there is a representative that comes in from time to time to answer questions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    megabyte wrote: »
    Any episode of home and away is a good example.
    Click record and sagemcom box pop up appears saying "do you wish to record as a series" then we click yes and voila,you have 3 or 4 copies of H and away across five and five star -all airings of each episode basically :/

Home and Away (Series CRD / Program CRID)

11/07 Ch5 13:15 RAPU / V5CMO
    11/07 Ch5 18:00 RAPU / V5CMO
    11/07 5* 15:30 RAPU / V5CMO
    11/07 5* 18:30 RAPU / V5CMP

12/07 Ch5 13:15 RAPU / V5CMP
    12/07 Ch5 18:00 RAPU / V5CMP
    12/07 5* 15:30 RAPU / V5CMP
    12/07 5* 18:30 RAPU / V5CMQ

13/07 Ch5 13:15 RAPU / V5CMQ
    13/07 Ch5 18:00 RAPU / V5CMQ
    13/07 5* 15:30 RAPU / V5CMQ
    13/07 5* 18:30 RAPU / V5CMR

14/07 Ch5 13:15 RAPU / V5CMR
    14/07 Ch5 18:00 RAPU / V5CMR
    14/07 5* 15:30 RAPU / V5CMR
    14/07 5* 18:30 RAPU / V5CMS

15/07 Ch5 13:15 RAPU / V5CMS
    15/07 Ch5 18:00 RAPU / V5CMS
    15/07 5* 15:30 RAPU / V5CMS
    15/07 5* 18:30 RAPU / V5CMT

So, the series CRID is the same and the first showing and repeat showing of each episode has the same program CRID's. The problem is therefore not with channel 5 as the CRID's are all set exactly as they should be.

It's actually quite sensible that they have used the same series CRID across both channels so that in the event of recording clashes it has 3 other showings it can attempt to schedule.

In the past they have done a similar thing with The Gadget Show. One monday night I had a clash and it scheduled a repeat showing on 5* the next day (this is on a Humax PVR).

Edit: For completeness I have just cheked on Freesat and the CRID's are exactly the same as those listed above on channel 5 (5* not available on Freesat).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's actually quite sensible that they have used the same series CRID across both channels so that in the event of recording clashes it has 3 other showings it can attempt to schedule.

Actually, thinking about it further even if they used a different series CRID as the program CRID's are the same for each epsiode then it should still be able to schedule alternative recordings accross channel 5 and 5*.

The advantage of different series CRID's would be that you can schedule a particular showing to be recorded each day however if there was a clash it should still schedule one of the other alternatives. The problem with the same series CRID is that it will always attempt to record the first showing regardless of which showing you set the series link for.

I believe the other channels such as the ITV and the Channel 4 family of channels have a different series CRID for the first showings and repeat showings (and also different showings across channels) so you can series link the exact showing you want (but still have the flexibility that if there is a clash it will record an alternative showing).