Comments

• Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wozza20 wrote: »
    Really?

That shocks me!
    So, does this mean on average, only approx 0.1m out of 8.2m on average have avoided the adverts? :confused:

Or is it that 10m+ are watching the programme for example, but only 5m approx are watching the adverts for 35mins of the slot bringing the average down??? :confused:
    Excluding adverts, the Downton Abbey Christmas Day episode had about 8.5m (exc +1) in the overnights. With timeshift, its Christmas Day episode may well rate as well or higher than the Sherlock episode in the consolidated ratings.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Nothing, barring ITV1 showing a Coronation St where the Rovers Return blows up, would have beaten EE last night. 3.5 million isn't bad considering some of ITV's ratings last year.
    Also this high rating for EE might make the BBC consider showing a few more specials on Sundays.

Sorry but all 3 points made there are complete rubbish

Nobody expected ITV to beat EE, they did however expect them to do better than they did.

3.5m isn't good, it's extremely poor, lower ratings for other programmes in other slots at other times are totally irrelevant

and lastly, last night was hardly a 'Sunday' it was New Year's Day. :D
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve, I think WAH vs. Sherlock is a much closer battle. I can see both shows averaging around 7.5m.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if tonight's EE might actually beat last night's, as it is in the high rating normal Monday corrie sandwich, and nobody will be going out.

No early entrants into the 2012 10m club as yet, although EE may do in the finals.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    Excluding adverts, the Downton Abbey Christmas Day episode had about 8.5m (exc +1) in the overnights. With timeshift, its Christmas Day episode may well rate as well or higher than the Sherlock episode in the consolidated ratings.

That'll be an interesting comparison to see. Will Christmas Day consolidated figures be released today?
    Steve, I think WAH vs. Sherlock is a much closer battle. I can see both shows averaging around 7.5m.

It'll be an interesting battle. And, of course, anyone who wants to watch both dramas won't be able to use ITV1+1 to help them out cos of Sherlock's 90 minute run-time.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointing for EastEnders, I was hoping for it to comfortably clear 10 million and be near 11 million. The rest of the BBC line-up on both BBC One and BBC Two performed fantastically though, great ratings for Sherlock and Absolutely Fabulous.

Awful for ITV, even lower than 2010's New Year's Day primetime share: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=47009568&postcount=2025

They must have expected >5.5m for Harry Potter. I imagine their plan was Potter yesterday, HP7 P1 on 1/1/13 with HP7 P2 on 1/1/14, yesterday's rating may make them think again, depending of course what the opposition does on those two days...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    That'll be an interesting comparison to see. Will Christmas Day consolidated figures be released today?
    Yep, Christmas Day consolidated figures should hopefully be out later today.

My prediction is:

1. EE: 11.4m
    2. DW: 10.8m
    3. DA: 10.7m (exc +1)
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    I wonder if tonight's EE might actually beat last night's, as it is in the high rating normal Monday corrie sandwich, and nobody will be going out.

No early entrants into the 2012 10m club as yet, although EE may do in the finals.

It could rate the same. CS will probably do 9 million tonight as it's the first week of the year. Actually for EE, if you add on the BBC Three repeat, it's broken the barrier.
    I often wonder what will be the highest rated programme of 2012. Should England get to the quarter finals of the Euros and meet someone like Germany, I'll go for 20 million.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO EE deserved over 10m.

Noticing how well The Worlds Strongest Man is continuing to do on Channel 5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talking of DA, I wonder if the teatime repeat yesterday outdid ITV's flop primetime offerings last night?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    IMO EE deserved over 10m.

Noticing how well The Worlds Strongest Man is continuing to do on Channel 5.

1.5 million is good for a tournament the main channels consider an anachronism. Perhaps Five should invest a bit more in these tournaments, as I do remember The World's Strongest Woman, and maybe go for a UK Superstars revival.
    People on here seem quick to knock Channel 5 and fair enough like every other station, they can churn out some junk, but a lot of their programmes are better than the critics think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Two did very very well considering.

Oh! SHERLOCK! We love you. I also think despite the competition it'll be up next week
    HP collapsed for the simple reason of branding. Its one of the poorest books/films (with nothing really going for it) add to this the amount of HP repeats of recent. No one would have known it was new frankly.
    Under the strong competition it got wiped out (also poorly scheduled)

Once the title 'Part One' and 'Part Two' appear - they'll be back up.

EE did okay - bit down, but not surprising - also the peak makes it obvious people tuned in throughout - not knowing it was on at first.

I don't think ITV will have a better Sunday next week. Both their shows are what I consider 'soft' in the ratings. With the Curse of Bleakly as well DOI will be down - add lack of promotion/noise and its not looking good. Then WaH is very much just a sunday time waste - opposing Sherlock, a high minded crime thriller - and one of the best shows of the 21st century.

Robbie spinning things against the Beeb - am guessing you dislike something about Sherlock's existence as oppose to the actual content?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I realise I did the BBC and Doctor Who a disservice earlier.

What I should have posted was:

Christmas Dramas Battle - overnight ratings

1. Doctor Who 8.9m
    2. Sherlock 8.8m
    3. Downton Abbey 8.1m

Looks like the Beeb and Steven Moffat did the double over Downton then!

(Subject to confirmation of the consolidated ratings - suspect 2 and 3 will swap round when they come through, but probably all >10m)
  • Options
    LRoseLRose Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Sorry but all 3 points made there are complete rubbish

Nobody expected ITV to beat EE, they did however expect them to do better than they did.

3.5m isn't good, it's extremely poor, lower ratings for other programmes in other slots at other times are totally irrelevant

and lastly, last night was hardly a 'Sunday' it was New Year's Day. :D
    If promoted well I don't see why the occasional Sunday episode of EE couldn't pull in decent ratings depending on the storyline. Back in the 90s they put quite a few specials out on Sundays and they performed well IIRC.

As for last night I don't think 9.7m for EE is bad to be honest given the length of the episode and the unusual time slot. In the officials it could be close to 11m.

The most impressive rating for me is Sherlock. Ab Fab did okay but who is watching this dross. I used to like the show back when it started but now it's just not funny.

Disappointing for Harry Potter it has to be said. People were predicting 6m for it on here. I thought it would really dent EE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimshaw wrote: »
    Robbie spinning things against the Beeb - am guessing you dislike something about Sherlock's existence as oppose to the actual content?

I think I was on a bit of a downer after a miserable and depressing EastEnders, distracted by watching Sherlock as a group which meant we all got horribly confused by it all, and somewhat disappointed by AbFab. And I was a bit worse for wear. :o

I have already rewatched the first half hour of Sherlock on iPlayer; makes a lot more sense. Perhaps that's how it timeshifted so well for s1 - people having to watch it twice... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few more ratings from yesterday:

Great Barrier Reef: 3.26m (11.4%) inc HD
    A History of Ancient Britain Special: 2.38m (8.7%) inc HD

The Unforgettable: 1.63m (7%) , +1: 153k (1%)

Hacks: 590k (2.8%) , +1: 67k (0.5%)

The Most Shocking Celebrity Moments of 2011: 680k (4.1%)

Source: Broadcast
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LRose wrote: »
    If promoted well I don't see why the occasional Sunday episode of EE couldn't pull in decent ratings depending on the storyline. Back in the 90s they put quite a few specials out on Sundays and they performed well IIRC.

As for last night I don't think 9.7m for EE is bad to be honest given the length of the episode and the unusual time slot. In the officials it could be close to 11m.

The most impressive rating for me is Sherlock. Ab Fab did okay but who is watching this dross. I used to like the show back when it started but now it's just not funny.

Disappointing for Harry Potter it has to be said. People were predicting 6m for it on here. I thought it would really dent EE.

I still think 4 million is OK for ITV1 and it was a reasonable alternative for non soap fans. However, the end of an iconic soap character always bangs up the soap ratings.
    Ab Fab was poor on Christmas Day so I didn't bother. It's better to watch the repeats of these old sitcoms than to revive them. The BBC found a similar problem with To The Manor Born, even though it attracted bigger ratings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's a fantastic rating considering the opposition, and the fact it was only a hair's breadth behind ITV's big NYD movie premiere! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think 4 million is OK for ITV1

It was 3.4m though....
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she has messed up on Daybreak, but that's a breakfast show only a small percentage of people ever see and most people still remember her as the girl from TOS. DOI is a good concept and Christine is more suited to peak time entertainment so I can#t see this failing.
    no she is the girl who made a massive show of selling out for the big money, despite being warned against it, and failed, whatever she is presenting people will see her like that.

Lets face it, playing co host to Philip Schofield only requires a competent presenter nothing more.
    BBC1's Sherlock returned with 8.75m viewers (30.89% share)

Source: Michael Rosser

That's up from the first series premier overnight audience of 7.53m (30.4%).
    good news for Sherlock, well done all involved.

Pat's last EastEnders drew 9.76m viewers (36% share), peaking with 11.22m (39%).

Source: Michael Rosser

Hmmm, that's a shame it didn't crack a 10m average - it deserved it. Looks like the unusual slot cost it a few viewers.
    agreed, I had hoped it would get 10 million plus, but we could say that it did well outside of its normal time slot, if we want to spin it.
    Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince averaged 3.45m (12.44%).

Very poor rating. Looks like it got totally squeezed out by the strong competition.
    oops I know I said I cant see many people watching it, but I was not expecting less than 3.5 million, this was the premiere on free to air TV of course.

Decent for sky and I never said last night, well done to Merlin for its time-shift, a totally unreported smash hit for the BBC.

7 million for AbFab, in short an AbFab night for the BBC.

Dame Edna suffered on C5. ITV wont be making anymore "The Unforgettable"s, it seems that even if they are unforgettable, people dont care.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A History of Ancient Britain Special: 2.38m (8.7%) inc HD

The Unforgettable: 1.63m (7%) , +1: 153k (1%)

Hacks: 590k (2.8%) , +1: 67k (0.5%)

The Most Shocking Celebrity Moments of 2011: 680k (4.1%)

Source: Broadcast
    Super night for BBC2 it seems, okay, not on the level of 6m for Eric and Ernie last year, but still super for the channel.

Hacks did atrociously for Channel 4 though.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I predict this year that
    Dancing on Ice (Up 1%) *Due to the many changes but I think it won't make much difference

Britain's Got Talent (Down %2) I see it being thrashed by the Apprentice again and the talent is not going to improve

SCD (Up %3) If they make some changes I think it may grow further and after a high this year

TXF- If they change judging panel, and change the show
    slightly and get good talent in It could go up but leave it unchanged then I expect it to stay the same or drop slightly but not as much.....
    Considering BGT was fairly stable I think Cowell returning should keep it at least level. I think too after the poor talent last year the producers will ensure better acts get through - and also it now being the only show they can audition infront of Cowell on means they might get a few more singers of notes too - though hopefully decent variety acts outnumber them.
    C14E wrote: »
    America's Got Talent is getting a general revamp this year - new graphics, theme music and so on as well as changing to 4 judges and moving to New York. Wouldn't be surprised to see changes for BGT as well.
    I think AGT will just get the standard UK/International music and logo, rather than the original they've stuck with since the first season. As for 4 judges - didn't Simon say that was one of the biggest mistakes of his career and that 4 judges simply didn't work when he hired and fired Kelly Brook within three days.
    These ratings make me wonder whether DOI and WAH may struggle against Sherlock more than expected... Although of course Sherlock did have a huge lead-in last night from a quite frankly superb episode of Eastenders (what a shame it didn't break 10m average, even if the peak was very good).
    It'll hit Wild at Heart more than DoI (performance shows) thanks to the scheduling inviting people to turn over. Obviously though those switching to Sherlock won't switch back for the DoI results. I wonder whether extending the DoI results through to 10.15pm to invite the audience back at 10pm for the actual result would boost the figures for the 9.30pm show nicely enough to compensate for them making it easier for people to watch Sherlock instead.
    ftv wrote: »
    Robbie is suspiciously quiet - I wonder if his broadband has gone down;)
    Or he choked on his hat.
    Does anyone know how the Adele special rated on BBC1? I note that her album has risen back to the no.1 spot on iTunes and a handful of her singles have also risen markedly!
    Will be interesting to know considering a month or so ago someone predicted an Adele music special would get something like 8-10m viewers. I suspect though it did rather well in it's NYD slot last night - but could be anything from 2m to 6m really.
    In the first season, the plan was not to do shows in international weekends when there were no Championship fixtures, which is what ITV did as well, only for the contract to suggest otherwise, so they have done that. The only time they don't have to do one is during FA Cup third and fourth round weekends, like this Saturday when there are only nine fixtures in the league.

In previous seasons they have done Boxing Day shows but it's not just the cost of the rights that have to be taken into consideration but the cost of mounting the show. ITV didn't always do Boxing Day shows either.

As for the ratings, I would suggest the audience at midnight on Saturday is the same as at 10am on Sunday, I think it gets about a million which I reckon would be broadly similar to ITV. Perhaps more, actually, given the better lead-in and its bounce around the schedule on ITV.

Speaking of football, ITV's FA Cup highlights on Saturday are at 11.30, which is pathetic, after a repeat of Celebrity Juice. Be different if there was a live game earlier where they could have shown the goals, but no, this is the only FA Cup coverage on ITV all day. If the Beeb had done this there'd be uproar.
    Thanks Steve. And odd scheduling for the FA Cup highlights - I'm sure Round 1 & 2 got earlier slots.
    Wozza20 wrote: »
    Really?

That shocks me!
    So, does this mean on average, only approx 0.1m out of 8.2m on average have avoided the adverts? :confused:

Or is it that 10m+ are watching the programme for example, but only 5m approx are watching the adverts for 35mins of the slot bringing the average down??? :confused:
    It would surely be good news for ITV if Downton fans stuck around for the ads (or ad fans stuck around for Downton as some might interpret it!). On Christmas night though most folks can't move themselves off the sofa so they probably do stick with the ads - indeed I think I saw more ads on Christmas Day than I have in the months beforehand thanks to watching virtually everything live.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was 3.4m though....

I'm sure it was 4 million with ITV1+1.
    Hacks must have really annoyed Channel 4 as they had trailed it all day and to attract 680,000 is pathetic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC One averaged 32.4% between 19:00 to 22:10, meaning it averaged 22.0% between 22:10 to 23:00 last night so Adele couldn't have done massively well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I was on a bit of a downer after a miserable and depressing EastEnders, distracted by watching Sherlock as a group which meant we all got horribly confused by it all, and somewhat disappointed by AbFab. And I was a bit worse for wear. :o

I have already rewatched the first half hour of Sherlock on iPlayer; makes a lot more sense. Perhaps that's how it timeshifted so well for s1 - people having to watch it twice... :D

Ah fair enough - yeah possibly not the best programme for that :D

More poor results coming in. BBC One and BBC Two are only terrestrials with something to shout about.
    Both at the same level tbh, brilliant nights for them.
This discussion has been closed.