Options

BBC F1 Coverage - 2011 Season: The Verdict (Part 5)

Comments

• Options
    LesterForbesLesterForbes Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suggest you read DMNs posts that mention the running times of the channel. Replay means playing the exact same thing, so you would still miss something if it happened during an advert.

For the extra cost of getting Sky Sports F1, I am entitled to expect no adverts. Broadcasters pay Sky to be listed on the service, and then subscribers pay to view those channels.

You're absoloutly right Antony! I was wrong.... I guess if Vettel spins off, crashes and breaks his leg and has to retire his career during an advert in Practice 1, I guess we'll never ever see it... and we'll all yern for the impossible days of BBC, the chain, mansell and turbo engines
  • Options
    LesterForbesLesterForbes Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading the SkySportsF1 sales pitch makes me think they would re-run classic F1 races either in part or in full (given the 32hours to fill during non-F1 weeks).

SkySportsF1 viewers might be treated to whole seasons, replayed again in all it's glory.

Sky is defo gonna take F1 to another level and I'll be there for every minute!!
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    Reading the SkySportsF1 sales pitch makes me think they would re-run classic F1 races either in part or in full (given the 32hours to fill during non-F1 weeks).

SkySportsF1 viewers might be treated to whole seasons, replayed again in all it's glory.

Sky is defo gonna take F1 to another level and I'll be there for every minute!!

Meanwhile the BBC will be taking the commentary to another level!

This is going to be a VERY interesting year isn't it.
    Well, assuming Vettel just doesn't run away with it again, if he does then the whole argument may well be moot, no-one is going to want to pay for something that they don't even want boring them for free eh?
    Perhaps more than anything that killed Sky F1 10 years ago was the worst season for excitement in living memory, Sky will be praying lightning doesn't strike twice!

BTW has whatever announcement that had Jake so excited happened yet? :confused:
  • Options
    allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    Perhaps more than anything that killed Sky F1 10 years ago was the worst season for excitement in living memory, Sky will be praying lightning doesn't strike twice!

It killed F1 in general - figures on ITV were dwindling. 2002 was a year of total domination by Schumi. One wonders how different F1D+ might have fared if it launched in 2003, arguably one of the best seasons in recent memory with Williams, Ferrari and McLaren all competitive.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,090
    Forum Member
    It killed F1 in general - figures on ITV were dwindling. 2002 was a year of total domination by Schumi. One wonders how different F1D+ might have fared if it launched in 2003, arguably one of the best seasons in recent memory with Williams, Ferrari and McLaren all competitive.

Probably not just that, but the 2......farce finishes likely didn't help, Austria especially.
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Looks like the team radio communications will still be made avaliable to broadcasters this year:
    http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/347ECF8A39ABF5BAC125797B0034F64B/$FILE/1-2012%20TECHNICAL%20REGULATIONS%2007-12-2011.pdf
    8.7 Driver radio :
    Other than authorised connections to the FIA ECU, any voice radio communication system between car and pits must be stand‐alone and must not ransmit or receive other data.
    All Such communications must be open and accessible to both the FIA and broadcasters.

Also spotted these new additions to the OnBoard camera regs:
    20.3.4 Any camera or camera housing fitted in the left hand position 2 shown in drawing 6 must be
    mounted in order that its major axis where passing through the centre of the camera lens (or corresponding position for a camera housing) does not intersect any part of the car lying forward of the camera or camera housing.

20.3.5 The camera fitted in position 4 shown in drawing 6 must be mounted in order that its forward most point is no more than 80mm rearward of the rear face of the cockpit entry template.

Camera position 2 is the camera on the nose, I guess that change was made to stop teams mounting the cameras low down under the nose where the view is obstructed by the front wing.

Position 4 is the T-Cam, I guess that change was made to stop teams putting the mounting point too far back as Mercedes did Pre-Season last year.
    http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7862/mercedesmgpw02f1wallpap.jpg
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    Looks like the team radio communications will still be made avaliable to broadcasters this year:
    http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/347ECF8A39ABF5BAC125797B0034F64B/$FILE/1-2012%20TECHNICAL%20REGULATIONS%2007-12-2011.pdf

Also spotted these new additions to the OnBoard camera regs:

Camera position 2 is the camera on the nose, I guess that change was made to stop teams mounting the cameras low down under the nose where the view is obstructed by the front wing.

Position 4 is the T-Cam, I guess that change was made to stop teams putting the mounting point too far back as Mercedes did Pre-Season last year.
    http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7862/mercedesmgpw02f1wallpap.jpg

Quite why the FIA/FOM let the teams deal with these things is an issue anyway.

While I don't doubt FOM had a huge hand in that rule change I don't just get why they turn up before Melbourne, bolt a camera on the car on the best position for them and tell the teams to just lump it.
    As long as they do it in exactly the same place for all the teams, they can't really say anything.

I'm also surprised they haven't at least explored the whole rotating camera phenomenon.
    While I still don't think it is right for the T-bar cam, Champcar used to do them on the sidepods facing either forwards or backwards and they were really effective there.
    I think it has something to do with them being closer to the ground so minimising the fish bowl effect, or perhaps the t-bar has been so ingrained in us all as a forward facing camera as soon as it starts moving the brain starts telling us the car is spinning rather than the camera is moving...

Either way I'd have thought F1 would've tried it out before now, at least in a practice session....
  • Options
    EchtiEchti Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    (...)
    I'm also surprised they haven't at least explored the whole rotating camera phenomenon.
    While I still don't think it is right for the T-bar cam, Champcar used to do them on the sidepods facing either forwards or backwards and they were really effective there.
    I think it has something to do with them being closer to the ground so minimising the fish bowl effect, or perhaps the t-bar has been so ingrained in us all as a forward facing camera as soon as it starts moving the brain starts telling us the car is spinning rather than the camera is moving...

Either way I'd have thought F1 would've tried it out before now, at least in a practice session....

Well they did test a rotating camera but only during a Porsche Supercup race in 2009.
    I'm pretty sure the teams would not be keen on having a clumsy, relatively big camera housing on their cars. In fact, they even started to use the onboard camera as a aerodynamic device (which has effectively been banned as stefmeister pointed out).
    And if you ask me: FOM has become quite poor when it comes down to onboard camera angle variety. We only get: t-cam front/rear facing and nose camera. That's it basically.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those hoping to be able to get the F1 channel using someone else's Sky Go account will need to take note of this.

In response to someone else on their Twitter page:
    Sky Sports F1
    @ritesh993 Sorry we were wrong before. If you have the HD pack and not sports you will also receive the F1 channel on Sky Go.
    7 minutes ago
  • Options
    F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,841
    Forum Member
    I have to say they have been really poor with their information, there will be lots of confused customers out there!
  • Options
    JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jp asks:
    @SkySportsF1 @SkyHelpTeam
    Will the broadcast graphics be delivered to us in 16:9 not 4:3 ? #FOM

Sky Sports F1 replies....

@AntonyPeacock If you have the HD pack but not sports you will get the channel on Sky Go

????? WTF

Jp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Charles Sale: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2082325/Patrice-Evra-N-word-video-youtube.html

James Allen to be lead 5Live F1 commentator with Jonathan Legard as stand-in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    From Charles Sale: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2082325/Patrice-Evra-N-word-video-youtube.html

Good god :eek:
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    I think JA would be good on the practise sessions (which is when most people will be listening, tbh) but Legard is surely a backward step. They should be trying someone new out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh great...
    Looks like I can say goodbye to this thread for a few weeks.
    Thanks for nothing DMN

Jp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sure the news won't disrupt the thread too much. After all, Ben Edwards is finally the lead commentator on BBC TV :)
  • Options
    gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member

Was James Allen the one commentating when Button won his first Grand Prix and he grunted "get in" like he had just done a satisfying sh**?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonpollak wrote: »
    Oh great...
    Looks like I can say goodbye to this thread for a few weeks.
    Thanks for nothing DMN

Jp

Eh? :confused:
    gamercraig wrote: »
    Was James Allen the one commentating when Button won his first Grand Prix and he grunted "get in" like he had just done a satisfying sh**?

Yep, that was Allen.
  • Options
    markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Charles Sale has got round to reading the speculation in this thread about a month ago and reported it as news.

While it could well be right, I'd prefer to hear it from a news source. Sale has been wrong so often on F1 broadcasting I'm surprised he hasn't exclusively announced ITV has the exclusive rights for F1 2012.

Before the boot comes in for JA, we don't really have any idea what he'll be like on the radio, nor without ITV's push to provide heavily biasted commentary towards JB, nor without a few years gap to reflect on previous broadcasting, nor without sharing with Brundle. We do know he knows his stuff.
  • Options
    madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, and Legard was very good on the radio, let's not forget that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh? :confused:
    It's called humour...
    But then again, you weren't around then so...
    Nothing personal I assure you.

Jp
  • Options
    Fergie1Fergie1 Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a bizarre way, i've missed James Allen. At least compared to Legard he was mildy entertaining. :p
  • Options
    DelennDelenn Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh lord.

As if the "Sky/Murdoch is the devil" discussion won't be bad enough, we get the Edwards vs Brundle discussion, and now have Allen and Legard thrown in to boot.

What has the BBC done????? :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd just like to say, everyone who feels cheated - this year, we will have the most comprehensive coverage of F1 the world has ever seen!

FEEL PRIVILEGED

fans in countries around the world will be jealous
  • Options
    theAREtheARE Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok finally some 5Live news then

In some ways it's comforting that they are bringing in people with good knowledge of the sports - I was half expecting a 3rd grade football commentator that had never seen an F1 car before.

At least Allen and Legard are know quantity's.

In a funny sort of way I've missed Allen - his faults are well documented but he was enthusiastic on commentary and his knowledge of the sport is excellent - so I think it's fair that he gets another shot at it.

No looking forward to Legard's droning on - but some have said he was a better commentator on radio than on tv.

Maybe Ledgard will only end up doing the events that BBC TV will be covering live.

Edwards/Coulthard for BBC TV Live events
    Allen/Chandock? for the rest via RTL/5Live

I could live with that
This discussion has been closed.