Options

BBC F1 Coverage - 2011 Season: The Verdict (Part 5)

Comments

• Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Interesting that Sky expects well over 50% of its audience to "defect" to BBC for shared races.

Can you explain the numbers in the other columns of the table?

How come the numbers for "ABC1 Men" and "Men" are higher than the total for all individuals "Inds"?

At a guess, the ABC1 figures are peak figures or it refers to something different.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, given that this is a sponsorship opportunity document, I'm surprised GP2 and the such like is not there under the additional content if a contract has already been signed.

I really do hope that they are able (or choose to) screen the support races otherwise there will be little point in the channel.
  • Options
    Red DevilRed Devil Posts: 13,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting stuff.

What is Friday Fight Night?

The sponsor will be featured both visually and verbally in a title sequence lasting up to 15”.

There are 2 x 15” opening/closing credits per showing of Friday Fight Night (both Live & Repeat/Highlights)
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,726
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Sky Audience Estimates
    F1 Show - 290k
    Practice - 370k
    Qualifying - 1.12m (exclusive) / 420k (shared)
    Race - 1.34m (exclusive) / 500k (shared)
    They look pretty reasonable to me for the "bigger" events they have live (like Canada) but they certainly won't be getting those figures for the early morning races imo.
    Also, given that this is a sponsorship opportunity document, I'm surprised GP2 and the such like is not there under the additional content if a contract has already been signed.

I really do hope that they are able (or choose to) screen the support races otherwise there will be little point in the channel.

Support races will have very little value though. Audience struggle to beat 100k

EDIT/ Seems to suggest Ant will be in the commentary box for qualifying but not the races
  • Options
    allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    They look pretty reasonable to me for the "bigger" events they have live (like Canada) but they certainly won't be getting those figures for the early morning races imo.

Support races will have very little value though. Audience struggle to beat 100k

EDIT/ Seems to suggest Ant will be in the commentary box for qualifying but not the races

I'd expect figures for the early morning races to drop below 150k, and support races to definitely drop below 100k, towards the 60-70k range. If it was on Sky Sports 1 or 2, F1 would get higher viewing figures IMO. If they can't show the support races, they might as well just show F1 on Sky Sports 2 most likely, and put some archive content in the schedule.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Devil wrote: »
    What is Friday Fight Night?

The sponsor will be featured both visually and verbally in a title sequence lasting up to 15”.

There are 2 x 15” opening/closing credits per showing of Friday Fight Night (both Live & Repeat/Highlights)

It's Sky's boxing programme on Friday nights.

I would guess that brochure is a 'copy and paste' of a previous one and that bit really refers to the F1 Magazine show.

Also, that same section mentions 5 second break bumpers, which I'm sure our feathered friend of the peacock variety will be interested in. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who could be in the running as sponsor for SS F1 programmes? We've had ITV F1 sponsored by Texaco, Toyota, SwiftCover and Sony AFAIK. Any guesses?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've had ITV F1 sponsored by Texaco, Toyota, SwiftCover and Sony AFAIK.

Also Honda and Shell V-Power.
  • Options
    TV KingTV King Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who could be in the running as sponsor for SS F1 programmes? We've had ITV F1 sponsored by Texaco, Toyota, SwiftCover and Sony AFAIK. Any guesses?

Also The Telegraph news papper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, but at the moment there is nothing in there we don't already have. There's nothing in there that could not have been done on Sky Sports 1 or 2.

Maybe if the schedule ends up looking like this for the live action (assuming Sky have F1 and GP2 only):

08:00 - Live from the Paddock
    08:40 - LIVE Formula 1: Practice 1
    10:45 - LIVE GP2: Practice
    11:40 - Live from the Paddock
    12:50 - LIVE Formula 1: Practice 2
    14:45 - LIVE GP2: Qualifying
    15:45 to 16:00 - Live from the Paddock

It'll be better. Who knows. It's difficult to tell when the document doesn't give an outline of each day and only lists the actual session, it gives the sense there won't be much else live outside of that. :o
  • Options
    davepuseydavepusey Posts: 6,112
    Forum Member

Interesting spot in the 2012 Sporting Regulations released today: http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/FE4C9612DB18AD8BC125797B00344B65/$FILE/1-2012%20SPORTING%20REGULATIONS%2007-12-2011.pdf

I think beforehand, journalists were not allowed in outside of the curfew, but now they are, obviously meaning Sky can broadcast live regardless of what the time is.

They only apply to the teams taking part in the championship, not the rest of the paddock.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not sure what all these Tweets are going on about.
    The ITV4 rumour is a year old to start with, and ESPN will definitely be showing WRC this season. They even mentioned it in their "Sunday Grandstand" press release yesterday!
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    Shame, I was hoping Eurosport would take it over, maybe merge it with the IRC and then maybe people would start giving a damn about Rallying again...

As it is.....call me when Loeb has won his 10 titles then retired!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shame, I was hoping Eurosport would take it over, maybe merge it with the IRC and then maybe people would start giving a damn about Rallying again...

As it is.....call me when Loeb has won his 10 titles then retired!

Seems like Loeb's domination is worse than Schumi's when he won his 7 titles. Having a proper British contender and maybe when Loeb stops dominating, will the viewers return.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    Seems like Loeb's domination is worse than Schumi's when he won his 7 titles. Having a proper British contender and maybe when Loeb stops dominating, will the viewers return.

I don't know...Rallying has never been the greatest TV spectacle, simply too much of each even takes place off camera, even in this era of helicopters and on-boards.

The highlights shows, in particular end up being a narrator telling a story over some nice pictures of powerslides rather than commentary on a motorsport event.

(Though I must say the IRC does a better job of it than the WRC imo)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone wanting to know the status of adverts in practice and qualifying:

Quemerford
    Have come to the conclusion that @SkySportsF1 will only answer questions about Virgin & BT, anything else is too tricky. #f1 #skyf1 #bbcf1
    2 hours ago

SkySportsF1
    @Quemerford We will answer any questions. What would you like to know?
    1 hour ago

Quemerford
    @SkySportsF1 If there will be ads during practice and quali sessions.
    47 minutes ago

SkySportsF1
    @Quemerford Sorry but this is not known yet.
    39 minutes ago
  • Options
    PeacockAntonyPeacockAntony Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That can be taken as yes then. If everything in that pdf file have been sorted, they will have decided whether there are going to be adverts or not. The fact that they have not said no, speaks for itself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone wanting to know the status of adverts in practice and qualifying:

Quemerford
    Have come to the conclusion that @SkySportsF1 will only answer questions about Virgin & BT, anything else is too tricky. #f1 #skyf1 #bbcf1
    2 hours ago

SkySportsF1
    @Quemerford We will answer any questions. What would you like to know?
    1 hour ago

Quemerford
    @SkySportsF1 If there will be ads during practice and quali sessions.
    47 minutes ago

SkySportsF1
    @Quemerford Sorry but this is not known yet.
    39 minutes ago

We will answer any and all questions that are on the press release we have in front of us.
  • Options
    F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,841
    Forum Member
    I love that conversation

basically - fire a question any question, we answer any question you like .... oh, not that one :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That can be taken as yes then. If everything in that pdf file have been sorted, they will have decided whether there are going to be adverts or not. The fact that they have not said no, speaks for itself.

They haven't said no, but they haven't really said 'yes, there will be adverts', have they?
  • Options
    chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,755
    Forum Member
    They haven't said no, but they haven't really said 'yes, there will be adverts', have they?

No no no you've got it all wrong. Remember Sky have only said they won't have adverts during races in 2012, which means subsequent seasons will OBVIOUSLY be rammed full of them. :rolleyes:

It's called reading between the lines to suit your agenda.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With just over 2 months to go before the channel is launched, you expect certain issues to have been agreed, they don't exactly need to pick which adverts are going to be shown, just whether they are or not. Their hesitation to confirm or deny this is a sign that there will be.
    chrisfinch wrote: »
    No no no you've got it all wrong. Remember Sky have only said they won't have adverts during races in 2012, which means subsequent seasons will OBVIOUSLY be rammed full of them. :rolleyes:

It's called reading between the lines to suit your agenda.
    My point is that was no need to add a time-scale to that announcement. They were not bettering the BBC by not showing adverts. For them to say it that like obviously means something.

Those hoping to be able to get the F1 channel using someone else's Sky Go account will need to take note of this.
    @ritesh993 Ritesh Patel
    @SkySportsF1 Does that mean with the HD pack, I can access the channel through Sky Go?
    @SkySportsF1 Sky Sports F1
    @ritesh993 No, you have to have the Sports Pack to get the channel on Sky Go.
    @ritesh993 Ritesh Patel
    @SkySportsF1 Why? Just an elloborate con to get customers to throw more money away!
    @SkySportsF1 Sky Sports F1
    @ritesh993 Sky Go is available to our Sports and Movie subscribers. It's an added extra for getting a subscribtion.
  • Options
    LesterForbesLesterForbes Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ofcourse FP1, FP2, FP3 & Quali will be full with full-frame adverts. and in Quali after and before each quali Q1, Q2 & Q3

for the content they'll provide.... can't really complain... it's not like anyone's actually gonna miss anything because it'll be replayed to death for the rest of the day or rest of the week!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ofcourse FP1, FP2, FP3 & Quali will be full with full-frame adverts. and in Quali after and before each quali Q1, Q2 & Q3

for the content they'll provide.... can't really complain... it's not like anyone's actually gonna miss anything because it'll be replayed to death for the rest of the day or rest of the week!
    I suggest you read DMNs posts that mention the running times of the channel. Replay means playing the exact same thing, so you would still miss something if it happened during an advert.

For the extra cost of getting Sky Sports F1, I am entitled to expect no adverts. Broadcasters pay Sky to be listed on the service, and then subscribers pay to view those channels.
  • Options
    F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,841
    Forum Member
    For the extra cost of getting Sky Sports F1, I am entitled to expect no adverts. Broadcasters pay Sky to be listed on the service, and then subscribers pay to view those channels.

of course you are, you're entitled to expect anything you wish.

what I would like you to do though, and what most of us here would like you to do, is stop banging on about the negatives of sky, their subscription charges, and the adverts, and the fact that it won't be better than the BBC

that is of course all that you do.

in every single post.

Give It A Rest

:mad:
This discussion has been closed.