US Overnights: Wednesday 14th November 2012

ABC
    20.00 The Middle: 2.5/8 (8.74m)
    20.30 Neighbors: 1.9/5 (6.74m)
    21.00 Modern Family: 4.6/12 (11.90m)
    21.30 Suburgatory: 2.4/6 (7.22m)
    22.00 Nashville: 1.8/5 (5.89m)

CBS
    20.00 Survivor: Philippines: 2.6/7 (9.98m)
    21.00 Criminal Minds: 3.0/8 (12.13m)
    22.00 CSI: 2.4/7 (10.81m)

FOX
    20.00 The X Factor: 2.9/8 (8.09m)

NBC
    20.00 Whitney: 1.4/4 (4.23m)
    20.30 Guys With Kids: 1.3/4 (3.82m)
    21.00 Law & Order: SVU: 1.6/4 (5.70m)
    22.00 Chicago Fire: 1.6/5 (5.72m)

CW
    20.00 Arrow: 1.2/3 (3.80m)
    21.00 Supernatural: 1.0/3 (2.30m)

Adults 18-34
    FOX: 2.7/9
    ABC: 1.8/6
    CBS: 1.5/5
    UNI: 1.4/5
    NBC: 1.2/4
    CW: 1.0/3

Adults 18-49
    FOX: 2.9/8
    CBS: 2.7/7
    ABC: 2.5/7
    UNI: 1.6/4
    NBC: 1.5/4
    CW: 1.1/3

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/11/15/tv-ratings-wednesday-the-x-factor-rises-whitney-returns-down-csi-up-survivor-nashville-down-chicago-fire-falls/157752/
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    All of the England qualifiers are on Fridays and Tuesdays, hence the move to make Tuesday football night on ITV.

This was a one-off match which had to be played on a Wednesday because there was a full Premier League programme at the weekend.

I forgot about the switch to Friday's and Tuesday's. :o Ignore me on that one then!
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    And I also sincerely hope he donates whatever settlement he reaches with the BBC to charities who support victims of sexual abuse, as let's not forget they are the real victims here.
    Yes, any damages he gets from anyone should go to charity.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, any damages he gets from anyone should go to charity.

Don't hold your breath ...

He couldn't even manage a word of sympathy for them whilst painting himself as the wounded party who deserves a pay-out from the BBC (i.e. us). :mad:
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    The Hour really lacks a character that you can get behind. There really isn't anybody to root for although I do think that Hector is on paper the worst character in terms of being a serial adulterer but is actually the only one of the main three that is likable. Freddie was awful in series 1 a hateful hero with no charm.There is something very Emperor's new clothes about The Hour.

Indeed, and this is the separation from the viewer,thge adulterous relationship could happen and in some ways they could be passed, yet here, he's an actual idiot, so how are we to root for the relationship, and tbh without being prurient the other woman, she seem's to think she's thick.

So I can see why you prefer him, other than the self-pitying **** and the moral-less bitch, but are any of them watchable.

Sorry nowhere near 2 million for a show with so much promotion, star-cast (and BTW I think the acting is great) and sumptuous sets, is just poor. Make me like someone please and I'll watch.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    All of the England qualifiers are on Fridays and Tuesdays, hence the move to make Tuesday football night on ITV.

This was a one-off match which had to be played on a Wednesday because there was a full Premier League programme at the weekend.

It was a meaningless friendly which was being dismissed by most of the press. BBC1 only had 11 million for England matches in tournaments or important World Cup/Euro qualifiers

Not true. We have already mentioned the Switzerland friendly that got 11m. I seem to recall a friendly against Spain doing similar business. Indeed some qualifying games got far fewer viewers - though better than what ITV gets now.

The high England and FA Cup ratings were the reason ITV broke the bank to win them back, paying massively over the odds.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Expecting a decent night for E4 tonight. Hollyoaks should continue to be strong with the surprise 4th death of a character this week plus brand new Big Bang Theory at 8 which might help brand new 2 Broke Girls at 8.30
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not true. We have already mentioned the Switzerland friendly that got 11m. I seem to recall a friendly against Spain doing similar business. Indeed some qualifying games got far fewer viewers - though better than what ITV gets now.

The high England and FA Cup ratings were the reason ITV broke the bank to win them back, paying massively over the odds.

Well, the ultimate in pointless England friendlies was the Beeb's penultimate game - the last one was against Trinidad at 10.30 on a Sunday night - which was the one against the USA in May 2008, a week before the European Championships which of course they hadn't qualified for... and it got 7.5 million viewers, in May, opposite Britain's Got Talent and an hour-long Corrie.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/may/29/tvratings.television

So it's wrong to say that they're doomed to failure because people don't like England because that was their lowest ebb and they were still pulling in the ratings. They're also still filling out Wembley for all their qualifiers as well. As mentioned there are also exactly the same number of friendlies now as there used to be. And people clearly do care about it, The Sun devotes seven pages to it today and The Guardian devote three. And as Robbie says, ITV bought the rights to them because they were doing so well on the Beeb (although of course Robbie is being a bit cheeky referring to an Exeter match getting high ratings because of course they were playing Manchester United - although it does prove the point that you can't write off England ratings when they're playing the likes of San Marino).

However I refuse to buy the suggestion people aren't watching because it's on ITV with Adrian Chiles and people don't like ITV because you can't move on Twitter whenever there's football on the BBC for people saying Hansen and Shearer are crap, and ITV's coverage is demonstrably better now than it has been for years. Why would people sit through the crap ideas in the past - like Townsend and McCoist on that pitchside table, or the boring Steve Rider era - and only now decide not to watch ITV? People will watch football matches whoever presents them. Keys and Gray leaving Sky had absolutely no effect on their ratings.

So as for why the ratings are down, I don't know. But there is a lot of football on terrestrial television these days, far more than there was a decade ago when the Beeb started showing them - they didn't have friendlies and many away games then either. At the turn of the century the Champions League felt like a big deal, even not as a Man U fan I found their road to the final in 1999 very exciting and it seemed special. Nowadays I'm not that bothered. And more people have Sky as well so it seems less important.
    The Royal Variety Performance is being broadcast on ITV1 on Monday 3rd December from 7.30pm - 10.05pm. Bit of a strange night, given that it means clearing out the soap schedule. The double Corrie is on Sunday 2nd December instead.

Not the first time it's been on a Monday, of course, as the official ratings thread bible Television's Greatest Hits points out that the Beeb showed it twice on a Monday in the seventies so they could show it live - with the news in the middle. But this seems a bit stupid, I can't see any gain they get from putting Corrie on a Sunday being enough to offset the dumping of Corrie from surely its two best slots of the week, and furthermore it just irritates Corrie fans who have to chase it around the schedules again.

I don't know if ITV realise just how much this annoys the audience, because it surely does. It's just bad manners. No normal viewer understands why they do it in a case like this, they don't understand it's to screw Strictly and prop up The X Factor. As far as they're concerned they're just messing viewers about. Seriously they need to stop doing this. It is stupid.

And they cram it in at 7.30 on a Monday so they can show the News at Ten, and then three days before they shove the news back for a bloody clip show they could have shown any day. While the 8.30-10pm gap on Thursdays isn't being used at all. They'd rather show fillers at 8.30 and give their 9pm dramas a crap lead-in. I can't believe how badly this channel is being scheduled these days.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the Broadcasting forum: https://twitter.com/itvmedia/status/269164010304311297/photo/1

I spy new logo in the background.
  • Options
    jonnyblackjonnyblack Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an FYI Emma Bunton just tweeted a picture from the ITV upfronts. She appears to have shown the new branding on a cushion...
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Finally! :D

It looks better on screen.
  • Options
    rivkinrivkin Posts: 400
    Forum Member

all the high ratings for footy where before all the press reports about greedy players , the poor performances, and the racist stuff, hardly surprising the matches are less popular now
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    From the Broadcasting forum: https://twitter.com/itvmedia/status/269164010304311297/photo/1

I spy new logo in the background.
    Yikes, that's bad. Really really awful. Pretty sure I could come up with a better looking logo myself in Paint. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lambeth Council is considering an application by broadcaster ITV plc to allow it to install LED light fittings on the Kent House office block at the London TV Studios.

The installation of the lights is planned to coincide with next year's big rebrand of ITV's output across all of its digital channels, which will see its flagship channel revert to being known as "ITV", dropping the "1" that was added to the channel's name in 2001.

The lights would run along vertical lines from the 4th to the 22nd floor of the 1970s block, originally built for London Weekend Television (LWT) and famously sited on the South Bank of the Thames. The complex is the current home of Daybreak, Lorraine and This Morning.

According to the application "the lights will be directed at the facade and project different coloured lights - blue, green, pink and yellow - during the night time hours".

ITV proposes to install the lighting for early January 2013, in time for the on-screen rebrand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i think the logo will change in different sections to show more yellow or pink or blue etc.

its fun and (hopefully) it will move itv towards being the great entertainment fun channel it once was.

bet the itv news logo and itv 2, 3 ,4 are different than the main itv channel
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    rivkin wrote: »
    bet the itv news logo and itv 2, 3 ,4 are different than the main itv channel
    In the case of ITV News certainly. That logo would not look right on a news programme.

CITV on the other hand? Sure.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC to pay McAlpine £185,000 + costs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20348978
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A day late posting this but, after that Interim Management statement, ITV's share price closed yesterday at an absolute 5 year high.

http://www.google.co.uk/finance?client=ob&q=LON:ITV#

(It's slipped back a bit today but then the whole market has).
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rivkin wrote: »
    all the high ratings for footy where before all the press reports about greedy players , the poor performances, and the racist stuff, hardly surprising the matches are less popular now

Players have been coining in money for years now and under Graham Taylor and Kevin Keegan they were a hundred times worse. And if that was the case, nobody would watch Chelsea matches.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    A day late posting this but, after that Interim Management statement, ITV's share price closed yesterday at an absolute 5 year high.

http://www.google.co.uk/finance?client=ob&q=LON:ITV#

(It's slipped back a bit today but then the whole market has).

Just to think 4 years ago there were rumours ITV were thinking of either closing a digital channel or closing ITV1 during the day. The only casualties that came were the merger of two regions who meant little in network terms and most of the Kirkstall Rd studios, without the loss of a single hour of programming on five networks.
    However, it has to be said massive hits like BGT, TXF and DA, three big football contracts, the two soaps and a continuing hit with IAC, has turned things round.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    right that itv logo.

I did compose a post, of my random thoughts, trying to explain why it is like it is to myself, but the reality is that as a stand alone, that looks dreadful, its going to take some fancy animation, for it to work, to say nothing of that colour.

sure the bottom arches gives it some real nice flow, but im not sure why that is a good thing for i t and v, letters.

everytime I think I found a way it works, I just think again, and it no longer works.

The shots of it behind Emma do nothing to help it.

Still really good job keeping the logo secret guys, you might as well have aired one of the new idents before tonight's Corrie, and still expected it to be a secret.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A bargain compared to the £450,000 they forked out for Entwistle. :D
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The logo was kept a secret well actually, it was nowhere until it was launched tonight.

Back to ratings for once and tonight's should be quite interesting.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    and that is one of the biggest mystery's as well for me.

How come he can work magic at Hollyoaks, but at EE all he did was fail, at his best he was average on EastEnders.

Is it really to do with the fact that EastEnders isnt (and shouldn't) be teen centric, and attempts to make it so fail? where as Hollyoaks, bread and butter is its younger characters.
    Probably the latter, though could also be that EastEnders problems run a lot deaper than who is running the show while Hollyoaks perhaps (and I'm playing devils advocate here) has a stronger team overall. It's too early to really praise Kirkwood yet for this stint - all 745 new producers over the last couple of years have started fairly well with a big stunt, and most have upped the quality of what is going out on screen in their first few weeks in charge - but none have seen that reflected in the ratings beyond the odd spike for a big week.

Who knows - perhaps the era of the soaps and people would rather watch specific storylines about a small group of characters rather than day to day stuff about a large number.

Is it right that a non-dom who quit the Lords to avoid paying UK taxes can sue a UK entity. I can live with George Entwhistle getting £450,000 for being forced out after 23 years at the BBC, but a multi-millionaire getting around half of that from the BBC when they never even named him, and probably an amount far more than any genuine victims of child abuse would receive.

A few weeks ago it seemed the country might be taking huge strides forward in dealing with child abuse, but thanks to what was a misjudgement on Newsnights part and huge political pressure (had McAlpine been a pleb he wouldn't be getting £200k) it seems like we're back at square one and life for the next Jimmy Saville has been made a little bit easier.

Anyhow, back on topic...
This discussion has been closed.