Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 42)

Comments

• Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slap on wrists at worst. Let's hope Ofcom show some teeth...
    I'd love to know what jumped up fine or punishment Ofcom could come up

Handing the PM a piece of paper - £250k
    Allowing names to be seen - £250k

of course if this was the old days

IRA documentary questioning a shoot to kill policy - loss of ITV licence to for London franchise

that seemed fair :cool:
    This Morning and Newsnight never named anybody but what they did led to people being able to workout who they were talking about and then fill social media timelines with the name. I think that's quite serious.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    The Dour really isn't as good as it thinks it is. All style over substance. It should be better but it just isn't.

I agree, media-types love it, because the people in it are all like them. Personally i find them all hateful. Lovely period sets and details though.

Yet I'm not watching the second series. Must cost the beeb a lot of money too for those ratings.

Oh and as I've said before about the rating for "that" football match, just shows Exeter City are ratings gold;)
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,578
    Forum Member
    This Morning and Newsnight never named anybody but what they did led to people being able to workout who they were talking about and then fill social media timelines with the name. I think that's quite serious.

Newsnight produced a report that had a massive flaw, the person who was being accused of a crime wasn't the person who committed it

This Morning tried to be clever by making PM acknowledge internet gossip about the innocent person

I don't see how ITV's crime is greater than BBC's nor do I see what would be a fair punishment for either broadcaster

BBC didn't follow their own rules regarding fact checking, ITV tried to do a stupid stunt.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hollyoaks seems to be in a rich vein of form by all accounts. It won Best Continuing Drama at The Writer's Guild Awards last night.

SInce Bryan Kirkwood returned he's turned it round in (almost) the click of a finger which makes me wonder what went so wrong at Eastenders.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SInce Bryan Kirkwood returned he's turned it round in (almost) the click of a finger which makes me wonder what went so wrong at Eastenders.
    and that is one of the biggest mystery's as well for me.

How come he can work magic at Hollyoaks, but at EE all he did was fail, at his best he was average on EastEnders.

Is it really to do with the fact that EastEnders isnt (and shouldn't) be teen centric, and attempts to make it so fail? where as Hollyoaks, bread and butter is its younger characters.
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,769
    Forum Member
    "Past precedent?" - 8 years ago you mean

Exeter?
    competitive match
    FA Cup match
    Man Utd match

completely different to the lack of empathy for England post Steve Maclaren in friendly matches

8-11 million is very wishful thinking, whether as speculation or mischief
    Even after the football moved to ITV, England games were still getting over 6.5m with a few going over 7m. A few examples of those numbers:

Egypt friendly (3/3/10) 7.84m (31.9%) overnight.
    Spain Friendly (11/2/09) 6.78m (30.1%) overnight (coverage didn't finish until 11:10pm).
    Germany friendly (19/11/08) 7.22m (19/11/08) overnight.

5m for a close, competitive England game has never been the norm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Regarding The Hour, BBC America co-produced Season 2, so it isn't costing BBC UK as much as Season 1.

Digital Spy is reporting a rating of 1.34 million for the S2 premiere last night. This number will surely increase for the final ratings, and probably get close to the S1 finale (which had a final rating of 1.86 million).
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair - haven't the England team gone down a lot in people's estimations in the past 18 months?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    To be fair - haven't the England team gone down a lot in people's estimations in the past 18 months?

that was the point I was trying to make, there isn't a lot of love for England football team

The nation gets behind the team during tournament play, but are more fickle for friendlies and qualifiers
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    You only have to look at last night's abject performance to see why interest in the England national team is at an all-time low.
  • Options
    comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    and that is one of the biggest mystery's as well for me.

How come he can work magic at Hollyoaks, but at EE all he did was fail, at his best he was average on EastEnders.

Is it really to do with the fact that EastEnders isnt (and shouldn't) be teen centric, and attempts to make it so fail? where as Hollyoaks, bread and butter is its younger characters.

Its simple. Hollyoaks has younger demographics than EE. Kirkwood focus was on the younger cast members. This resulted in a proportion of viewers over 30 switching off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    comedy89 wrote: »
    Its simple. Hollyoaks has younger demographics than EE. Kirkwood focus was on the younger cast members. This resulted in a proportion of viewers over 30 switching off.
    so was the previous Hollyoaks producer not focusing on younger characters?

Whilst ok EE is a bigger soap, all soaps need the same basic skills, long term story plotting etc
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »

No worse than they were under McClaren, if anything slightly better. And people watched them in the Euros when everyone said they were going to flop massively.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newsnight produced a report that had a massive flaw, the person who was being accused of a crime wasn't the person who committed it

This Morning tried to be clever by making PM acknowledge internet gossip about the innocent person

I don't see how ITV's crime is greater than BBC's nor do I see what would be a fair punishment for either broadcaster

BBC didn't follow their own rules regarding fact checking, ITV tried to do a stupid stunt.
    A stupid stunt that shouldn't have been done in the first place and now we have this.

https://twitter.com/iankatz1000/status/269072310609252352

"Lord McAlpine's lawyer says top of "very long list" of people he plans to take legal action against is ITV's This Morning programme"
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A stupid stunt that shouldn't have been done in the first place and now we have this.

"Lord McAlpine's lawyer says top of "very long list" of people he plans to take legal action against is ITV's This Morning programme"

As this is a numbers thread - here's the running total on complaints to Ofcom:

Newsnight - 4
    This Morning - 415

(Lucy Manning, Twitter)
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member

Well he had to abandon his biggest EE storyline (the baby swap) because of the sensitive ladies on Mumsnet.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As for The Hour, I imagine it will have done well on HD, given it's "all style". With consolidation, it could get to or past 2m.
    The Hour (BBC2) 9pm-10pm
    1.29m (5.89%) / 43.6 (0.2%) HD
    The 1950s newsroom drama enjoyed a decent amount of publicity in the run-up to the second series. But this and new faces, including Peter Capaldi, were not enough to translate into big viewing figures.

Its combined audience of 1.33m (5.9%) was its lowest ever and was more than 1.5m viewers short of the first series debut of 2.89m (12.65%), according to overnight Barb figures supplied by Attentional.

Wednesday’s episode also lost viewers over the period it was on air. It started with an audience of 1.49m (6.6%) over its first 15 minutes on BBC2, but this tailed off to 1.23m (5.9%) in its final quarter of an hour.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/ratings/the-hour-returns-to-record-low-ratings/5049034.article?blocktitle=LATEST-NEWS&contentID=870
  • Options
    comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    so was the previous Hollyoaks producer not focusing on younger characters?

Whilst ok EE is a bigger soap, all soaps need the same basic skills, long term story plotting etc

The plots were just OTT and stupid. I can't comment what Hollyoaks is like at the momment as I switched off around 2009.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    You only have to look at last night's abject performance to see why interest in the England national team is at an all-time low.

Not to mention all these friendlies are becoming increasingly meaningless. The winners were STV viewers who got a repeat of All Star Mr and Mrs.:D
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Not to mention all these friendlies are becoming increasingly meaningless. The winners were STV viewers who got a repeat of All Star Mr and Mrs.:D

No more friendlies now than there have ever been.

Back to the drawing board with that one.... ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member

very long list?

Newsnight
    This Morning
    Sally Bercow
    erm..... everybody else on Twitter
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Georged123 wrote: »
    Even after the football moved to ITV, England games were still getting over 6.5m with a few going over 7m. A few examples of those numbers:

Spain Friendly (11/2/09) 6.78m (30.1%) overnight (coverage didn't finish until 11:10pm).

From memory one of the last (if not the last?) England friendlies on BBC1 got over 9m.

I'm not 100% certain on this but from memory it was a friendly vs Switzerland at Wembley and it got 9.2m.

Maybe someone can confirm / correct?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes they were saying on the radio earlier, that his lawyers are going tweet by tweet. Truthfully he would be mad to take action against individual Twitterers, BUT this should be a warning to the Twitter types, not to write that someone is a paedophile, and then act shocked, when the person they write about is innocent, and isnt happy about that.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Georged123 wrote: »

Indeed!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As this is a numbers thread - here's the running total on complaints to Ofcom:

Newsnight - 4
    This Morning - 415

(Lucy Manning, Twitter)
    I wonder how many of those were Conservative voters complaining about This Morning? :D Also it should be pointed out that the majority of Newsnight complaints have most likely gone to the BBC directly.
    very long list?

Newsnight
    This Morning
    Sally Bercow
    erm..... everybody else on Twitter

They're still on the list. I wouldn't want to be on a list of a rich man with deep pockets after I effed up and potentially led to him getting false accusations leveled against him.

The DCMS have now been in touch with ITV. It's a serious matter even though others see it as frivolous.
This discussion has been closed.