Options

Receptionist who put the call through

Comments

• Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    I think Prince Charles's reaction showed that the royal family were probably taking it in their stride and good for them, but prank calling a hospital crosses a line. There are quite a lot of posters who don't seem to agree that it does, but that's the basic principle here.

It all seemed quite funny when Prince Charles joked about it (nobody had died at that point) made me warm to him slightly. Prank calling a hospital is bad, but from Australia as the queen:confused:
    Off topic but I find British Newspapers listening into a dead schoolgirls phone messages far more distasteful, making her parents think she may be alive:(
  • Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I find the nurses reaction to the hoax call hard to understand. Surely the nurse who actually GAVE OUT the information about Kate would feel worse than the nurse who just transferred the call to the ward!! I cannot help but think that there is more to this story than we are being told. Either the hospital did subject this nurse to criticism and discipline in someway and are now not telling us the complete truth OR there were personal problems in her life and this just tipped her over the edge. Obviously, if there were problems in her background it would not "fit" with the media blitz on the radio station, DJs etc. I cannot help but feel that we are NOT getting the full story here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I did not bother to listen to the tape on the internet. I am just not that interested but I have been told all the nurse said was that Kate was sleeping and had slept a lot during the day. Hardly earth shattering news was it? Nothing really personal was discussed. This nurse, who was on night duty is upset but seems to be acting more normally than the other nurse!! Do not understand how a nurse who does a very demanding job could be so unstable as to kill herself over a hoax call!!

Why didn't the Royal Protection Service instruct the hospital NOT to discuss Kate with anyone over the phone?? UNDER no circumstances? It seems a simple thing to do and yet was obviously NOT done which could have stopped any chance of a journalist or TV or Radio Station calling in about her.
  • Options
    UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    It all seemed quite funny when Prince Charles joked about it (nobody had died at that point) made me warm to him slightly. Prank calling a hospital is bad, but from Australia as the queen:confused:
    Off topic but I find British Newspapers listening into a dead schoolgirls phone messages far more distasteful, making her parents think she may be alive:(

Out of interest did this post come from Australia? I don't think many people would seek to suggest the News of the World was anything other than despicable for that act. It is basically what closed the paper down. 2dayFM still seems to be in business and I wouldn't suggest it shouldn't be but perhaps no more prank calls to hospitals would be ago of policy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the nurses reaction to the hoax call hard to understand. Surely the nurse who actually GAVE OUT the information about Kate would feel worse than the nurse who just transferred the call to the ward!! I cannot help but think that there is more to this story than we are being told. Either the hospital did subject this nurse to criticism and discipline in someway and are now not telling us the complete truth OR there were personal problems in her life and this just tipped her over the edge. Obviously, if there were problems in her background it would not "fit" with the media blitz on the radio station, DJs etc. I cannot help but feel that we are NOT getting the full story here.

Again, there may have been other problems or there may not have been. It seems from many posters' reactions that if you are not a nurse, doctor or similar job it can be hard to understand the world-ending feeling of a serious mistake at work.
  • Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Out of interest did this post come from Australia? I don't think many people would seek to suggest the News of the World was anything other than despicable for that act. It is basically what closed the paper down. 2dayFM still seems to be in business and I wouldn't suggest it shouldn't be but perhaps no more prank calls to hospitals would be ago of policy.

Hello, no I'm not from Australia am right here in the middle of the UK:)
    I don't want to sound unsympathetic but is an awful, one in a million outcome from a silly prank. I am very glad Andrew Sachs didn't have a heart attack when he listened to his answer-phone messages
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it is a very unexpected outcome. What is not hard to foresee is that prank calling a hospital might have negative consequences and that even if no harm is caused it is in fundamentally bad taste.

I see the two DJs are being interviewed on Australian TV today. They must be very upset.

I also see that the station is claiming it made numerous attempts to contact the hospital to clear the broadcast but without obtaining permission broadcast anyway. This is also quite wrong.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And what would the likely outcome of broadcasting the clip without consent.

Someone sues you or you get a fine? - A bit of extra advertising would soon fix that.
    A slap on the wrist? - Just words.

As Grace Hopper once said.
    It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.

"Oh, so sorry. Here, have some money.... Who shall we prank next?"

The reaction, in this case, was atypical and unforeseen.
  • Options
    FOXPRESIDENTFOXPRESIDENT Posts: 4,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have to agree with you. It seems very strange the entire story is unbelievable.

I have just listened to the convo on You Tube and i am just amazed.

Their security procedures seriously need reviewing. I am surprised that the hospital don't have 'special' lines just for the Royal Household - after all half of them use it more or often or not and procedures will already be in place for who can even look after any member of the Royal Family.

I am one for believing that the Queen would contact herself but that early in the morning? Was it not like 5 or 6? Even the second staff member the alarm should have rang at that time in the morning. I'd have thought as well that the call would have been made by Royal Household operators and the call set up.

I think the hospital has some serious questions to answer as well I, the person whom has killed herself all she did was accept the call and transfer it through. That is it!

The two dj's have just done interviews this afternoon here in Sydney. Not sure when its played out but won't be long. Might go and watch it.

Whilst it could be argued that the DJ's have probably breached NSW privacy laws etc, I think the re-action to the part of the DJ's part is "they have done something so lets all aim fire at them". Yes, they have done a call, but something that the female presenter has made a point about in the interviews today is that most radio stations in the world have some sort of prank features like this. Radio 1 - Radio 2 - Virgin - Capital FM you name it they do it!

Also, should we not question our own part on these stories and media features?

How many of you look at something on You Tube that is a prank? Or you read an article that is about a celebrity? We yarn for this information and these pranks/stories/fun features - in essence, ENTERTAINMENT yet we are happy to blame someone else when its to closes to comfort.

Personally I agree with the poster above, something in this story is not quite right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    As Grace Hopper once said.

And what would the likely outcome of broadcasting the clip without consent.

Someone sues you or you get a fine? - A bit of extra advertising would soon fix that.
    A slap on the wrist? - Just words.

The reaction, in this case, was atypical and unforeseen.

It's against broadcasting standards was my understanding although happy to be corrected. Perhaps that was a risk they were happy to take.
  • Options
    sidsgirlsidsgirl Posts: 4,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with you. It seems very strange the entire story is unbelievable.

I have just listened to the convo on You Tube and i am just amazed.

Their security procedures seriously need reviewing. I am surprised that the hospital don't have 'special' lines just for the Royal Household - after all half of them use it more or often or not and procedures will already be in place for who can even look after any member of the Royal Family.

I am one for believing that the Queen would contact herself but that early in the morning? Was it not like 5 or 6? Even the second staff member the alarm should have rang at that time in the morning. I'd have thought as well that the call would have been made by Royal Household operators and the call set up.

I think the hospital has some serious questions to answer as well I, the person whom has killed herself all she did was accept the call and transfer it through. That is it!

The two dj's have just done interviews this afternoon here in Sydney. Not sure when its played out but won't be long. Might go and watch it.

Whilst it could be argued that the DJ's have probably breached NSW privacy laws etc, I think the re-action to the part of the DJ's part is "they have done something so lets all aim fire at them". Yes, they have done a call, but something that the female presenter has made a point about in the interviews today is that most radio stations in the world have some sort of prank features like this. Radio 1 - Radio 2 - Virgin - Capital FM you name it they do it!

Also, should we not question our own part on these stories and media features?

How many of you look at something on You Tube that is a prank? Or you read an article that is about a celebrity? We yarn for this information and these pranks/stories/fun features - in essence, ENTERTAINMENT yet we are happy to blame someone else when its to closes to comfort.

Personally I agree with the poster above, something in this story is not quite right.

According to her brother, she would have felt shame, as she was very proud of her job.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2245604/Jacintha-Saldanha-Hoaxed-nurse-died-shame-As-backlash-phone-prank-DJs-grows-brother-victim-says-sister-devastated.html
  • Options
    SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was thinking along the same lines. I think she must have had some underlying issues and problems beforehand, the prank just happened to unfortunately take place at that point in time. Whose to know if this nurse would have committed suicide anway, prank or no prank. Although very stupid what they did, I think blaming those DJ's for her death is unfair.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But how many of those pranks involved a sick, pregnant princess - you didn't have to be a media guru to know the British press would go berserk when this story broke. They got the media reaction they wanted but never anticipated how the nurse would react under that pressure.
  • Options
    thegirlinpinkthegirlinpink Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    The DJs needed to stay under their rock. Like I keep saying, those from the radio station should keep quiet and stop making it about their own pain. It is self-centred, insensitive, and crass beyond belief the way they are making it all about them. And now we have the dramatics and crocodile tears for the cameras because they are, so obviously, more concerned about trying to keep their career and so are putting on what they hope will be a good enough showing.

They and their radio station make me absolutely sick.
  • Options
    LiverpoolFCGirlLiverpoolFCGirl Posts: 15,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The DJs interview with A Current Affair can be viewed here for anyone who's interested in seeing it.
  • Options
    sidsgirlsidsgirl Posts: 4,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking along the same lines. I think she must have had some underlying issues and problems beforehand, the prank just happened to unfortunately take place at that point in time. Whose to know if this nurse would have committed suicide anway, prank or no prank. Although very stupid what they did, I think blaming those DJ's for her death is unfair.

They were however a contributory factor in her death. They should not have prank called a hospital in the first place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sidsgirl wrote: »

Bel Mooney hits the nail on the head in her article on that page when writes of
    [...]that amoral belief that ‘anything goes’ which disguises the humiliation of others as light-hearted fun.[...]

• Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,036
    Forum Member
    Following an another incident in 2009 a group of young lawyers wrote to the Australian Communications and Media Authority raising issues about 2Day FM...
    • a) that such content is able to pass internal approvals for broadcast in the first place;
    • b) that such content is continued to be broadcast, despite the aerly warning signs that broadcasting should ease; and
    • c) that presenters may not be adequately trained or educated on how to deal with the outcome of such broadcasts.

We believe these issues represent at best a failure of 2DayFM to approprtiately train staff on issue identification and resolution or to have pre-production processes in place to approve content, and at worst, a complete disregard for the wellbeing of participants and the intended audience.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,036
    Forum Member

Two nurses not in the public eye, quietly getting on with their work are suddenly, out of their control, thrust onto the public stage whipped up by the two DJ's. and some people lack the empathy to understand why a private person may as a consequence take their life.

Yet, those some people do understand why two people --- who sought publicity and despite issuing a 'sincerce apology' were happily living off the back of the controversy boasting about their exploit --- could be contemplating suicide, without suggesting the two people concerned must have a previous history of depression to be in such a state.

I have sympathy for the two DJ's for the position they now find themselves in but look at their actions from the 4 Dec to 7 Dec.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Putting a telephone call through

Someone allegedly committing suicide and the world and his wife blaming you for it.

Yes. Two very similar scenarios.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are they making such a big deal about this. I guess people dont have a sense of humour when it comes to the royals.

It was only a call for goodness sake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Again, there may have been other problems or there may not have been. It seems from many posters' reactions that if you are not a nurse, doctor or similar job it can be hard to understand the world-ending feeling of a serious mistake at work.

No I am not a nurse but seriously NOBODY died, it was a hoax call. We have read so many dreadful stories recently of elderly people dying in ghastly circumstances, not getting the nursing care they deserve or in one case a young man died of thirst and these nurses involved did not commit suicide. We have had nursing home staff on video abusing patients and taken to court about it, nobody felt shame about these cases.

There has to be something more here than we are being told.

Sadly, with our media, just because it involves a hospital where Kate, Duchess of Cambridge stayed for all of three days, it is blasted all over the papers, Nobody would care if it was a nurse who, due to stress and overwork on a National Health Hospital, killed herself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The more I hear about this tragic story, the more I think the Hospital MUST have criticised her or she felt she could possibly lose her job due to this hoax call. She only put the call through to the ward, that is all she did so there must be more going on to push this poor lady over the edge. I doubt she was frantically overworked in a very famous PRIVATE Hospital who normally look after members of the Royal Family. Not exactly an NHS ward, was it!!
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Perhaps she was upset that her action (putting the call through) could cost someone else their job. If she was depressed anyway, that would have been enough to tip her over the edge. Also, bare in mind that to become a nurse takes years of study and training. It would be understandable to feel guilt that your action could cause someone to lose a job they've spent years working to achieve and that you could also lose your job. It doesn't matter if that would have actually happened or not - the thought of it would be enough to tip a fragile mind over the edge.
  • Options
    jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whose to know these DJs might commit suicide anyway prank or no prank backlash they didn't see coming? Hypothetical and insensitive. Oh and maybe they have underlying issues too. Hypothetical ones.

Some are very proud of their work and have cause to be. It is their life and their raison d'etre.