Man United Supporters Thread (Part 44)

1215216217218219221»

Comments

• Options
    CaptainRobboCaptainRobbo Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    You do realise you've only lost a first leg game to Sunderland?

You've not been ripped apart and humiliated by FC Barcelona, you are still in the competition

Eh?

Our 3rd successive loss and dreadful performances may have more to do with it.
  • Options
    greygrey Posts: 5,050
    Forum Member
    More chance of the Anfield cat making another appearance than seeing any of this mythical transfer kitty.

Don't the Glazers have untold millions to spend to bring all the best players in the world to Old Trafford?
    That's what I was led to believe when they bought the club
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You've not been ripped apart and humiliated by FC Barcelona, you are still in the competition

I think you need to look a little deeper than that to realise what is causing the angst amongst a few posters on here.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What we need is a few decent signings this month. Yes,it can be done.

Vidic and Evra

Suarez and Coutinho (yes I know it's Liverpool but they weren't even in the Champions league so the myth that you can't buy quality unless you are Champions league regulars is frankly bullshite).

Look what the signing of Ozil did for Arsenal. Lost the first game of the season to Villa for heavens sake. 2 decent loan signings in Lukaku and Barry (yes I know) and Everton kicked on after 3 drawers at the start of the season.

If we wait till summer you know what's going to happen

It's a world cup year the prices are overinflated
    We can't compete with sugarbunnies x,y and z

shortly followed by

We have the money but the players want to go to x,y and z.
    Happy with the squad
    The manager wants to re evaluate his squad
    No value in the market
    We can't spend,as there's no 'R'in the month.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nothing wrong with being ripped apart by Barcelona there is something wrong when u lose at home to West brom Everton Newcastle and Swansea :)

and all these records being torn apart left right and centre some of them decades old
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,544
    Forum Member

Quite. Panic Mongers Anonymous, some of 'em.

But as I said yesterday, we do need to win our next two league games. And beat Sunderland by a couple of goals at O/T. Would be helpful if our two star players would get themselves fit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmm which is worse losing to Sunderland or Barcelona?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sir Matt Busby didn't expect people to spend their weekends watching turgid football out of some masochistic delight in proving oneself to be a "True United Supporter™."

Try telling that to some on here
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Quite. Panic Mongers Anonymous, some of 'em.

If in the space of 6 months going from lifting the League Title with ease to being mid table and losing to -

Liverpool
    City
    WBA
    Everton
    Newcastle
    Tottenham
    Swansea
    Sunderland

and dropping points to

Southampton
    Cardiff
    Tottenham

while actually playing like a team that pretty much got what they deserved in the vast majority of these games isnt enough to justify a small amount of panic, id be interested to know when it would be appropriate?! :D
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    The club obviously had several options to consider and went for one where they could rely on him to stay and have some sort of consistency. He's not a mercenary or egotistical manager with short term aims and a personal agenda.

With that being the case the least they can do is allow him to build his own team. There are many players coming to the end of their time at United for one reason or another and he will replace those with players of his own choice.

I think the United fans screaming for his head had better get used to him or they'll make themselves ill. My guess is he's there for the long term. At least two or three years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    The club obviously had several options to consider and went for one where they could rely on him to stay and have some sort of consistency. He's not a mercenary or egotistical manager with short term aims and a personal agenda.

With that being the case the least they can do is allow him to build his own team. There are many players coming to the end of their time at United for one reason or another and he will replace those with players of his own choice.

I think the United fans screaming for his head had better get used to him or they'll make themselves ill. My guess is he's there for the long term. At least two or three years.

No one is stopping him from building his own team, and doing it over a period of time. What i am certainly objecting to is what he has done to the existing team in the space of a few months.

If we were losing while playing ok, or trying to adapt to a new style that wasnt quite working then i think most sensible fans would be able to see that. To watch a team seemingly suddenly devoid of tactics, devoid of drive and urgency and having lost the ability to dig out a result when the going gets tough, is slightly more difficult to take. Its also very very disheartening from my point of view to watch a game where we have played crap, you and i both know we have played crap and the footballing world knows we have played crap yet Moyes blames the ref. Its one thing doing that under SAF when you lose a one-off game and you want to deflect blame, but when you have been on the end of defeats like we have and we are looking for some reassurance that steps are being taken to put things right I want the manager to offer up more to the fans than "We're doing fine but its the refs fault" when Stevie Wonder with his head in a bag can see that thats not the case.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    No one is stopping him from building his own team, and doing it over a period of time. What i am certainly objecting to is what he has done to the existing team in the space of a few months.

If we were losing while playing ok, or trying to adapt to a new style that wasnt quite working then i think most sensible fans would be able to see that. To watch a team seemingly suddenly devoid of tactics, devoid of drive and urgency and having lost the ability to dig out a result when the going gets tough, is slightly more difficult to take. Its also very very disheartening from my point of view to watch a game where we have played crap, you and i both know we have played crap and the footballing world knows we have played crap yet Moyes blames the ref. Its one thing doing that under SAF when you lose a one-off game and you want to deflect blame, but when you have been on the end of defeats like we have and we are looking for some reassurance that steps are being taken to put things right I want the manager to offer up more to the fans than "We're doing fine but its the refs fault" when Stevie Wonder with his head in a bag can see that thats not the case.

I agree your performances have been below par - but so were many of your performances last year. Van Persie was on fire especially in the first half of the season and having a player like that in the team inspires everybody else. Having him and Rooney missing for long spells is going to hurt any team. If you don't have the depth to deal with that then it's not Moyes' fault.

I think another huge factor is the amount of change that has occurred throughout the club. In any walk of life a person feels more contented if they have consistency. A new boss coming in is hard enough without a whole new backroom staff also arriving - and the Chief Eeecutive departing. That sort of thing will have an effect on a person's mind and they start to worry about their position and if they are still wanted etc. I'm sure many of us have had similar experiences in our own ordinary lives. Just because they are footballers doesn't mean they are not affected by upheavel and uncertainty. Some players will feel they have to leave because they don't get on with the new structure. Some will leave because they are told they are no longer wanted. That cloud of uncertainty is currently hanging over the whole squad - save the few players Moyes has already brought in. This will have an effect on the minds of the players and so affect their game. It knocks a little edge off it.
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan makes some very good points.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Elyan makes some very good points.

Yes indeed, but i would argue that the very point of us not playing well last season was the fact that the difference is we DID win these games. When our defence was a mess we were able to score a few goals to get back into the games and win - thanks to RVPs finishing in part i grant you, but we arent even creating the chances right now. Id further point out that Rooney had a poor season last year while RVP went 3 months without scoring, while this season we are supposed to have Rooney back firing on all cylinders so the contrast really shouldnt be as stark as it is.

Of course there is upheaval but that would be my main reason for appointing a man with the experience to minimise these issues. Essentially if we had a scale of 1 to 10 of "things going tits up" most sensible fans would accept us being a 5 on that scale because of losing the man who has been there for 25 years and brought all the success. However i think in terms of our play, tactics, team selections, media dealings, transfers, results etc we are probably up at an 8 or a 9 and that is pretty unacceptable to me.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »
    No, I don't go back on my opinions like a lot seem to do after 5 months of a league campaign. I said we'd win the title, it's a major uphill battle to pull that off now but I've seen stranger things happen. Massively confident we'll finish top four either way, never had a doubt what so ever about that. Like I said elsewhere, we've been playing mostly average this season bar a few games while certain clubs ahead of us have been hitting their full potential and only five points off of the top four. If we can find any sort of good form in the second half of the season and finally start clicking in the final third, we'll step up a gear and make up the ground. Meanwhile, I think a few teams above us will run out of steam in the second half of the season. We'll see. I said at the beginning of the season that you or anybody else could quote me on everything I said at the start of the season and you can do so with this too.

I've been wrong plenty of times believe me, no problem admitting that. Certainly not taken off like I expected and for me it's not one single person but the entire club in general to blame for the inconsistency.

thanks for the reply:)
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mods can I just say that out of the top 7 threads on here, 5 are on Manchester United, what is that all about, this is a wind up, some of these threads are purely designed to wind the United fans up - you know its true, we all know its true.

Please do something about it.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mods can I just say that out of the top 7 threads on here, 5 are on Manchester United, what is that all about, this is a wind up, some of these threads are purely designed to wind the United fans up - you know its true, we all know its true.

And 4 of them are about the same subject. It's tedious in the extreme.

It's an absolute joke and makes a mockery of the claim that this board is 'proactively moderated'
  • Options
    zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member

As always the mods have looked at all the morons frequenting the board and all of the threads designed to bait United fans and then they have decided that '**** that, we'll ban one of the sensible posters'. Utter joke.
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member

Nothing needs to be done. Pro-active moderation will save the day.....
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richie1001 wrote: »
    Nothing needs to be done. Pro-active moderation will save the day.....

If you say so Ritchie ;-)
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    If you say so Ritchie ;-)

Certainly, I would say, for sure, that they will, be pro-actively moderating this thread, so that shurely they will act, pro-actively.
  • Options
    CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 things that could've really helped Moyes this season.

1. David Gill not leaving until after the summer transfer window. For as good as Woodward has been in signing deals with Mr Potato, Aeroflot and god knows how many other bloody sponsors, he had no experience of the football transfer system. Could Gill have got Fabregas or any of the other named targets? Who knows, but I can guarantee he wouldn't have insulted Barca with a 25 million offer for Fabregas and then blowing 27 million on Fellaini.

2. Continuity with the back room staff. Obviously he was going to bring his trusted staff with him, but letting Eric Steele, Mike Phelan and Rene Mulensteen go without a fight was a mistake that's really hitting us hard now. It's been documented he asked Rene to stay, but in what role and how much did he REALLY try and persuade him.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would you do? Would you over pay for players now just to get them in?

Im not fussed over the champions league really so buying cup tied players doesnt matter. We need a top 4 finish.

It may benefit us to be beaten in the next cl game so we can focus on the league.
  • Options
    SupportSupport Posts: 70,940
    Administrator
This discussion has been closed.