Options

People from Council Estates are more likely to commit crime.

Comments

• Options
    miss_sassy1miss_sassy1 Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Any evidence to support your assertions? Beyond the anecdotal, of course.

If you look at crime statics, crime does appear to be far more wide spread in council estates.

You can prove anything with facts:D
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    The fraudsters, tax evaders,expenses fiddlers ,corrupt bankers, politicians,and dodgy policemen, are all way to busy to be out clambering through skylights and nicking cars, they have their grass to mow and cars to wash,so need early nights.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmeister wrote: »
    1: Yes I did join this month. What's the problem?
    2: What's wrong with starting new threads. Do you have to be part of some clique to be able to start threads?
    3: I am 22 and not in school or college.

I'm just posting what I couldn't post when I wasn't a member.

And you're definitely not a WUM with your thread titles? ;-)
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live on a council estate. Most people within a few doors of me are ok, but 3/4 of the residents look dodgy and have feral children.
    Posh people commit crime as well, just on a grander scale.
  • Options
    hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live on a council estate. Most people within a few doors of me are ok, but 3/4 of the residents look dodgy and have feral children.
    Posh people commit crime as well, just on a grander scale.

I know posh people commit crimes too.

What I'm trying to say is that I think the surroundings contribute to committing a crime. If you lived in the middle of the countryside and you were the only house for 20 miles then you're less likely to commit a crime.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    It only takes one or two problem families to drag an estate down in my experience. Unfortunately these families have children with zero discipline and they grow up to be as bad as their parents.

There is a standing joke around here that santa won't visit one of the local council estates. The last time he did, he was stoned by the local yobs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What I'm trying to say is that I think the surroundings contribute to committing a crime. If you lived in the middle of the countryside and you were the only house for 20 miles then you're less likely to commit a crime.

So how does that make it right you open a thread with an inflamatory title? You're really looking to get people's backs up that's my impression.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

No shit Sherlock.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you live in the middle of the countryside then there are less people about so its bound to be lower statistically.
    More likely to be a victim of crime if more isolated ?

Were I live, in regards youth crime and asbo type behaviour the posher areas have seen an increase.
    There are more ignorant teens about. Someone who lives on a council estate that is rough possibly lives there because a lot of the rough are lumped together.

I think there is a general decline all over. Although the crime seems to have shifted from burglary to muggings for mobiles etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member

So does anyone agree that crime is more likely when you come from a Council Estate and you haven't had enough love/support from family?

No and your trolling of this forum is getting tiresome to say the least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how does that make it right you open a thread with an inflamatory title? You're really looking to get people's backs up that's my impression.

Oh OK, let's ban opinions. CitySlicker doesn't like other users having them unless they've been here for 13 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No and your trolling of this forum is getting tiresome to say the least.

How am I trolling? What's wrong with creating a discussion. It is a forum after all>:(>:(
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the OP is after some attention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think stereotyping and generalisation are the problem, not trolling.
    I tend to think its not just a council estate problem, but each town and city have their pockets of scum.
    Most don't live in the more expensive houses though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How am I trolling? What's wrong with creating a discussion. It is a forum after all>:(>:(

Someone wanting to create a genuine discussion would put the word 'are' at the start of your thread title, with a question mark at the end. You have chosen to make a bold statement instead then wonder why you're being accused of trolling?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I've started a few threads but how are they trolling.

In GD there's
    Britain First: an excuse to be a bigot - I was just stating the fact that people are being racist.
    Kickstarter - I was wondering what you can do on Kickstarter
    Faux Grief Bandwagon - I feel uncomfortable with public displays of fake grief
    C Word - I wanted to see if people were offended or not
    Dead Forums - How many dead forums there are
    B&M - My love for discount stores
    Life In Newcastle - Because I've never been before.

As far as I can see I'm not doing any harm. I'm not going around attacking other users am I.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just been thinking that people from Council Estates are 100x more likely to commit a crime than someone from a nice Cul-de-Sac as they have been brought up surrounded by other people who commit crimes and their parents haven't done a good enough job a bringing the them up. Just look at your nearest Council Estate and look at where you live and compare you the two.

My nearest Council Estate is a place called Caia Park (Formerly Queen's Park) and it's always been known for being a rough place, there are daily reports of crime such as burglary, arson, rape, murder, violence and more. 75% of people from are rough as hell and most of the parents don't care about their kids and only have them so they can claim more money.

I live in a village, the crime rates are really low and you only hear of something happening about twice a year. There's a few rough people who I know originally came from Council Estates and they've committed crimes before. Parents here are very supportive of not just their own kids but others too.

So does anyone agree that crime is more likely when you come from a Council Estate and you haven't had enough love/support from family?

You could live on the worst estate in the world and have good or bad parents and be a nice person and have a good crime free life , you could live with again good or bad parents on a country estate and turn out to be drug dealing scum. Its not all about parents and where you live though of course sometimes it can be things such as gangs can pressure people into crime.

Yes some kids learn bad behaviour and decide to follow it , though once old enough you can if you wish choose not to follow a bad example

My Nan and Granddad lived on a council estate , my Mum was born and lived there, my grandparents chose to buy their house instead of move somewhere else as they liked it and their neighbours and whilst I have never lived in a council house I loved spending time with my grandparents and staying at their house and I had good friends who lived on that estate and in general it was a nice place and no different to any other.

I do see there is a problem on some estates, but I often do wonder if that is sometimes down to too many problem families being dumped on one estate deliberately , whereas if you have problem families why not spread them out you might not have such a big problem.

A big problem we have these days is a lack of respect and too many have an " I want it and I want it now" attitude. I put a lot of that down to the last government and the pandering to people and lack of discipline in schools , schools used to be able to instil some order into kids lives so at least if you had a bad family you got a decent meal and order in the school hours , the last government had it so teachers had to ask parents bloody permission to give detention.

When it comes to kids this about sums it up for me

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/213076626090271869/
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I've started a few threads but how are they trolling.

In GD there's
    Britain First: an excuse to be a bigot - I was just stating the fact that people are being racist.
    Kickstarter - I was wondering what you can do on Kickstarter
    Faux Grief Bandwagon - I feel uncomfortable with public displays of fake grief
    C Word - I wanted to see if people were offended or not
    Dead Forums - How many dead forums there are
    B&M - My love for discount stores
    Life In Newcastle - Because I've never been before.

As far as I can see I'm not doing any harm. I'm not going around attacking other users am I.

It's like a Trolling master-class :o:D

You missed...

Jordan, why do people love her??
    Is Lily Allen too fat??
    Would you sleep with Nigel Farage?
    Should they scrap the TV license?

Actually I should shut up :blush::D;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    It's like a Trolling master-class :o:D

You missed...

Jordan, why do people love her??
    Is Lily Allen too fat??
    Would you sleep with Nigel Farage?
    Should they scrap the TV license?

Actually I should shut up :blush::D;)

I've never started those threads. Although the Farage one would go down well Showbiz.
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All stories about the same council estate?

Doesn't seem representative somehow.
    Yep! Not everyone from a council estate are criminals. Just like not everyone in a cul de sac will be innocent by default :p

I live in a road where there's been a druggie (I believe he's back in prison), an arson attack by the woods and burglaries and it's a quiet road. Might even be more than that! Most houses either have families or elderly people living in them.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the time on the Estates you'll get a few or more families who 'run' it as Alan said. I've not lived on one for years but when I ask people about my old one they'll never mention specific crimes but list the names of rough families. The inner city blocks of flats are as bad or worse for drugs and crime than estates IMHO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Your evidence does not show that they are committing more crime, just that they are more likely to be caught

But there's daily reports of arson, rape, murder according to the OP.

Rape and murder happening daily?? what a load of cobblers but hey say anything to demonise people living on a council estate.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rape and murder happening daily??

Daily reports maybe, rather than daily murders. I think it's called a newspaper
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rape and murder happening daily?? what a load of cobblers but hey say anything to demonise people living on a council estate.

Two murders that I'm aware of since moving in about seven or eight years ago :(

Our estate ain't like all those typical estates though, it's quite nice as it happens :p
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    A large council estate is densely populated. Lots of people living close together - if jut 5% of the 'estate population' commit criminal acts that's a largish number of people and the estate is gonna get a bad name/reputation.

You'll get teenage youths/gangs hanging out in nice villages - they're often doing no harm - literally just hanging out. The same thing happens on council estates - they can be a harmless bunch of kids hanging out but because they're gathered together on a 'notorious' estate they're seen as threatening and deemed to have criminal intent.

I'm sure there is the opportunity to get up to far more 'bad stuff' and criminal behaviour on a council estate but the majority of kids come through it OK.